ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think the lineups will be?

archmage2002

HR All-American
Sep 8, 2002
Starters:
PG - Bowen - Shows elite speed and talent but wasn't quite ready for the B10 maulings.
SG - Perkins - Needs to be more consistent on defense and offense but at times was dominant.
SF - PMac - Really good on O, atrocious on D, lackadaisical on rebounding. He would be a great 6th man for instant offense and pulled if he becomes a liability but I don't think it will happen.
PF - Pa. Sandfort - Really solid on everything but seems to lack that extra edge that elite athletes have to put them on top. Streaky shooter.
C - Krikke - Really like what I see from him. He is a guy that is going to be perfect for Fran's offense.

Backups:
G - Nimmers - I really like what I have seen and heard about him. I think he will play major minutes next year.
G - Dix - He strikes me as one of those glue players other teams will come to hate. Solid all-around game but not elite.
G - Harding - This is where it gets hard. I think he will get to play the same type of minutes Bowen did this year but it's hard to tell. If Bowen struggles Harding will play a lot more.
F - Pr. Sandfort - Not sure. Will depend on his shooting ability. If PMac struggles I could see him playing a lot more.
F - Dembele - Not sure again. Think he will play but how much will depend on PMac and Pr. Sandfort.
C - Brauns - I would like him to start, removing PMac from the starting lineup and moving Krikke to PF, Pa. Sandfort to SF.
C - Freeman - Really, really hard to call. Big men usually take time to mature so I could see an RS but I could also see him being needed if Mulvey stays a string bean.
C - Mulvey - String bean alert. He runs the floor like a gazelle but really needs to bulk up and gain an offense.

I see a lot of potential but can it be realized.. thinking bubble team.

Last edited:
Mostly agree, especially the idea of Patrick becoming a spark off the bench, moving Payton to 3, Krikke to 4, and Brauns or one of the freshmen starting at 5. The real problem is going to be on the defensive end. Some of the bench players are probably better defenders than your projected starters, who are not good.

I start from the belief that our top 3 returning players — Perkins, Payton* Sandfort, and McCaffery will be in the starting lineup, one way or another. And probably rightfully so, though I know there are a few folks who will try to argue otherwise.

(* - The elder Sandfort brother on our roster spells his first name “Payton.” So the proper abbreviation would seem to be “Pa. Sandfort or maybe “PaySand.” Not “Pe. Sandfort” as I have seen numerous times. I don’t want to be the spelling police, but this particular error has started to drive me a little nuts, particularly in the shortened form.)

I also believe Krikke was brought in with the expectation that he would be a starter. He’s a higher-caliber transfer, and those guys don’t usually transfer to be a benchwarmer.

So the question, I think, is who starts alongside these four? You could add another traditional big to the lineup, but that forces PaySand to the 2, and Perkins to the 1. That wouldn’t surprise me as I believe that was our backcourt on numerous occasions last year. But I think Sandfort will struggle mightily to guard smaller, quicker 2s.

The other option is to add a “true” PG to the mix, which would probably force PaySand to start at the 4. Either way, Sandfort is probably playing out of position.

Personally, I prefer the option of PaySand at the 4 — he’s only about 5 pounds lighter than Kris was last year, and nearly the same height (he’s listed at 6-7, but I believe he’s said he’s grown closer to 6-8). This would essentially be a 4-guard lineup, which I think would have the potential to be effective in many cases.

So, my starters look the same as the OP’s:

1-Bowen
2-Perkins
3-McCaffery
4-PaySand
5-Krikke

My second string would be:

1-Harding
2-Dix
3-PrySand
4-Dembele
5-Freeman

Deep bench is Brauns, Mulvey, Nimmers, and Kingsbury.

I am hopeful that what we saw in the Nimmers video is the real deal. If it is, he will find his way into the rotation somewhere.

I also think it’s entirely possible that Harding ends up starting at PG. I still have faith in Bowen, but I do wish we had seen more from him last year.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It will be hard to keep the freshmen on the bench. Payton, Patrick and Perkins are going to start. Don't like the defensive matchup on Payton's defensive end but I do like the chasing behind him on Payton's offensive wins. Also see his rebounding improving. Dembele is going to get minutes, he's physical. Krikke is going to start, probably all season but Freeman is going to see extended minutes.

Hopefully one of the two point guards is ready to go. Bowen has a leg up but he didn't play smart a lot last year. Harding will push him, and hopefully Desonte accepts the challenge instead of pouting.

Dix will be a very good off the bench player as will Harding. Guards are a deep area and the center is pretty big question mark.

Patrick belongs on the bench and Payton starting at the 3. Payton's numbers are better across the board than Patrick. So your first lineup would work fine with this change.
I definitely would not have PM in starting lineup.

Reactions: Bro D
Dix and Bowen are the wildcards to me. I really like Dix and although I don’t think him a pure point guard he impressed me with his tenacity, defense and ball handling for a freshman. If Bowen doesn’t mature then I see Dix taking his minutes.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I was a big fan when Dix was in the floor last year. Limited minutes of course for sample size

Bowen
Perkins
Dix
Payton sandfort
Krikke

Patrick -6th man playing starter minutes

Reactions: NI hawk
Starters:
PG - Bowen - Shows elite speed and talent but wasn't quite ready for the B10 maulings.
SG - Perkins - Needs to be more consistent on defense and offense but at times was dominant.
SF - PMac - Really good on O, atrocious on D, lackadaisical on rebounding. He would be a great 6th man for instant offense and pulled if he becomes a liability but I don't think it will happen.
PF - Pa. Sandfort - Really solid on everything but seems to lack that extra edge that elite athletes have to put them on top. Streaky shooter.
C - Krikke - Really like what I see from him. He is a guy that is going to be perfect for Fran's offense.

Backups:
G - Nimmers - I really like what I have seen and heard about him. I think he will play major minutes next year.
G - Dix - He strikes me as one of those glue players other teams will come to hate. Solid all-around game but not elite.
G - Harding - This is where it gets hard. I think he will get to play the same type of minutes Bowen did this year but it's hard to tell. If Bowen struggles Harding will play a lot more.
F - Pr. Sandfort - Not sure. Will depend on his shooting ability. If PMac struggles I could see him playing a lot more.
F - Dembele - Not sure again. Think he will play but how much will depend on PMac and Pr. Sandfort.
C - Brauns - I would like him to start, removing PMac from the starting lineup and moving Krikke to PF, Pa. Sandfort to SF.
C - Freeman - Really, really hard to call. Big men usually take time to mature so I could see an RS but I could also see him being needed if Mulvey stays a string bean.
C - Mulvey - String bean alert. He runs the floor like a gazelle but really needs to bulk up and gain an offense.

I see a lot of potential but can it be realized.. thinking bubble team.
I pretty much agree with all of this assessment. So many new pieces. It will be fun to see how the team comes together, which team mates have chemistry / synergy, who emerges and who doesn't, etc.

This will be one of Fran's most challenging years given so many unknowns, newbies, and inexperienced yet talented pieces.

It's anyone's guess on how soon the freshmen will be ready to see quality minutes.

For now:

Starters:
6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'4" G Tony Perkins
6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery
6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F Ben Krikke

Guessing EARLY ON these are the First Off the bench:
6'5" SG Josh Dix
6'3" PG Amarion Nimmers
6'9" F/C Even Brauns

Not sure where the 4 Freshmen fit in yet:
6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele
6'0" PG Brock Harding

Mop Up Duty:
6'11" C Riley Mulvey
6'5" Carter Kingsbury
6'6" Luc Laketa
5'9" Dante Eldridge

6'3" PG Amarion Nimmers
Have we seen anything to indicate Nimmers is a point guard? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but I've always thought of him as more of a slashing 2. Does anyone know for sure?

I will say this: If Nimmers does, indeed, have the skillset to spend time at PG, it would certainly be beneficial to the team.

Have we seen anything to indicate Nimmers is a point guard? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but I've always thought of him as more of a slashing 2. Does anyone know for sure?

I will say this: If Nimmers does, indeed, have the skillset to spend time at PG, it would certainly be beneficial to the team.
Agree, but what do we really know about Nimmers? Right now, we know Perkins is one of team's best players and is much more of a 2 than a PG. I thought Dix looked like a very good all-round 2, who could probably play PG or 3 at times. We have a lot of 3s. There is a lot more uncertainty at PG, although Bowen and Harding seem to have a lot of talent.

Reactions: skydog0784

Addendum:

Nimmers' Rivals profile lists him as a "shooting guard." His 247 profile lists him as a "combo guard."

FWIW.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I pretty much agree with all of this assessment. So many new pieces. It will be fun to see how the team comes together, which team mates have chemistry / synergy, who emerges and who doesn't, etc.

This will be one of Fran's most challenging years given so many unknowns, newbies, and inexperienced yet talented pieces.
I want to see Fran commit to getting the young players experience.

This year should be about preping for the next two.

My guess is basketball IQ has to be one of the areas where he lacks, because its clearly not athleticism and he shot a really good percentage from 3 in High-school too.

What makes a pg is really handle and decision making.

If he had good decision making skills I highly doubt he's walking on given his skill set.

I've seen guys like this before who blow you away with the difficult things they can do but they don't really understand the game well.

You see it in a G League guys, they have all kinds of skills but no clue on shot selection and force way to many bad shots.

Coming out of high school:

(1) 24/7 listed him as a combo guard

(2) This Illinois hoops site listed him as a PG:

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Coming out of high school:

(1) 24/7 listed him as a combo guard

(2) This Illinois hoops site listed him as a PG:

Interestingly enough, the Hudl highlight video in the link you shared lists him as an SG.

So who knows. Perhaps "combo" is the best label. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Interestingly enough, the Hudl highlight video in the link you shared lists him as an SG.

So who knows. Perhaps "combo" is the best label. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.
Yeah, I'd just call him a guard.

His upside is huge. Maybe higher than Murrays even.

Reactions: Max_Rebo

I was surprised last season when Josh Dix started bringing the ball up the court. I think Fran likes versatility and flexibility and it appears Nimmers can give him exactly that. We'll see.

I was surprised last season when Josh Dix started bringing the ball up the court. I think Fran likes versatility and flexibility and it appears Nimmers can give him exactly that. We'll see.
This would be more of Fran trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Dix is not a point guard, at least not against pressure, If a guy has to turn his back and slow his way across the 10 second line, he's not going to be able to initiate our offense against any team with a pulse. I do think Dix could make a solid jump this year with another full year since his injury but We need Bowen, Harding, or Nimmers to grab that point guard role by the neck this summer...

This would be more of Fran trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Dix is not a point guard, at least not against pressure, If a guy has to turn his back and slow his way across the 10 second line, he's not going to be able to initiate our offense against any team with a pulse. I do think Dix could make a solid jump this year with another full year since his injury but We need Bowen, Harding, or Nimmers to grab that point guard role by the neck this summer...

This is what scares me going into this season with Bowen. Fran clearly believed Dix was the better option at backup PG and by the look of it, he was right. The exception would be the NCAA Tournament game when Bowen took back reserve PG and played fairly well in that game, although extremely limited minutes.

I wouldn’t exactly label it square peg/round hole as much as there were no other options besides riding with Bowen or moving TP over. Fran has tried both of those options in the past with mixed results. TP was a lot more effective off the ball.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
This is what scares me going into this season with Bowen. Fran clearly believed Dix was the better option at backup PG and by the look of it, he was right. The exception would be the NCAA Tournament game when Bowen took back reserve PG and played fairly well in that game, although extremely limited minutes.

I wouldn’t exactly label it square peg/round hole as much as there were no other options besides riding with Bowen or moving TP over. Fran has tried both of those options in the past with mixed results. TP was a lot more effective off the ball.
I also think Dix shooting played a big role in why he was out there.

I think Dix is going to be excellent and could handle pg if necessary but its far from his optimal role.

Hes a classic 2 guard.

I also think Dix shooting played a big role in why he was out there.

I think Dix is going to be excellent and could handle pg if necessary but its far from his optimal role.

Hes a classic 2 guard.

I agree. Dix came in and shot very well. My only complaint was that he could have / should have been more selfish at times. But that’s completely understandable as freshman. Dix became even less of aggressive when the shots didn’t fall like they did earlier in the year. Dix should be a solid contributor in whatever role he plays and has some versatility, so that’s a plus.

I think I only recall one real bad play from him and that was an errant in bounds pass in one of the last games (Nebraska or likely OSU BTT).

Reactions: RocknRollface
Patrick belongs on the bench and Payton starting at the 3. Payton's numbers are better across the board than Patrick. So your first lineup would work fine with this change.
I detect pure hatred directed toward Patrick and nothing more.
in 27 games these were defensive stats
94 defensive rebounds
22 steals
10 blocks
would love to know just what type of stats are you demanding Pat recording to make you happy.

as for Dix people keep forgetting he was recovering from 2 broken bones that required surgery to repair and before the season started the main thought going around was that he should RS.

but that really change as now its he needed more minutes and is to slow to play certan positions.

as for Pertkins he dealt with a deep bone bruise all season long,
I am actually anxiously waiting to watch them this season fully health
also with Fran it never really been about who starts but its about who subs and who finishes the game. that really matters.

my 2 deeps
PG/1 Bowen / Harding
SG/2 Perkins / Dix
SF/3 Pat / Sanfort
PF/4 Brauns / Dembele
C/5 Krikke / Mulvey until proven otherwise

off the Bench
F/C Freeman
F FR Sanfort.
unused scholarship or CG Nimmers that's 13 solid players vs last season when Fran only had 11 because Mulvey and Ogudele were not ready to go for extended minutes.

looking at the 2 deeps Nimmers would fit in nicely as a combo guard that can step in as a PG or SG on this years team.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
my 2 deeps
PG/1 Bowen / Harding
SG/2 Perkins / Dix
SF/3 Pat / Sanfort
PF/4 Brauns / Dembele
C/5 Krikke / Mulvey until proven otherwise

off the Bench
F/C Freeman
F FR Sanfort.
unused scholarship or CG Nimmers that's 13 solid players vs last season when Fran only had 11 because Mulvey and Ogudele were not ready to go for extended minutes.

looking at the 2 deeps Nimmers would fit in nicely as a combo guard that can step in as a PG or SG on this years team.
Now how tall are these players?

Are they all 2 stars?

We need Bown or Harding or both ready to play winning level point guard. Tony is simply not a guy through whom you run the offense, he is supposed to be on the receiving end of the guy running the offense.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
I detect pure hatred directed toward Patrick and nothing more.
in 27 games these were defensive stats
94 defensive rebounds
22 steals
10 blocks
would love to know just what type of stats are you demanding Pat recording to make you happy.
But Payton's numbers are better . And Patrick played 1.5 minutes a game longer.
2pt% 3pt% FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV
50___ 34 ___ 86___ 4.1 __1.5 _ .6__ .2 _ .7 Payton
47___ 34 ___ 77___ 3.5 __1 ___.8__ .4 _ 1.0 Patrick
The only thing Patrick was better was steals and blocks. So who should start and get more minutes?

Last edited:
Projected
Perkins
Sandfort
Patrick
Krikke
Brauns

Mine
Bowens or Harding
Perkins
Sandfort
Patrick or Brauns
Krikke

But Payton's numbers are better . And Patrick played 1.5 minutes a game longer.
2pt% 3pt% FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV
50___ 34 ___ 86___ 4.1 __1.5 _ .6__ .2 _ .7 Payton
47___ 34 ___ 77___ 3.5 __1 ___.8__ .4 _ 1.0 Patrick
The only thing Patrick was better was steals and blocks. So who should start and get more minutes?
Pat payed 6 less games because of mental/anxiety issues and nobody know for how long,
the year before these were Pat's stats
24.2 mpg, 10.5 ppg good for 3rd on the team
3.6 rpg 4th on the team behind these
Keagan 8.7 rpg 1st year starter
Rebraca 5.6 rpg 1st year starter and 1st year with the team
Kris 4.3 rpg
114 total rebounds 88 defensive and 26 offensive. here were Uthoff RSJR stats
34 games 12.4 ppg 2nd in the team behind Aaron White at 16,4 ppg
6.4 rpg 2nd behind White at 7.3 rpg
1.6 bpg led the team 56 total Olaseni had 1.6 with 54 total
1.1 spg
then has a RSSR these were Uthoff's numbers
31.5 mpg
18.9 ppg
6.3 rpg Woodbury led the team with 8.3 rpg
2.6 spg led the team
those were a pretty good jump from his RSJR year to his RSSR year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT