ADVERTISEMENT

How do we get back to the top?

Jan 16, 2017
TNT need to change things up. If I could lay out the way to catch PSU this would be it. It’s going to take some money. Use the new facility to your advantage. First get Gable Steveson and J’Den Cox to HWC. Not that far fetched. J’Den is cousins with Arnold. They would have solid workout partners to prepare for 2024 Olympics. Gable, J’Den, Kueter, Cass, Warner, Telford, Burak make for a pretty solid workout room for upper weights.

Next, Move Terry to HWC
Hire a good young star on the coaching staff. JB, Nolf, Trevel, Gwiz, someone younger.

Once you have some stars in the new facility, recruits will come.

Nolf, JB or Dake would be ideal bc they are all going to be fighting for 74 kg and Nolf and Dake should be in different camps. Could say the same about Brooks and Taylor.

I know it’s a lot of moving parts but that’s what I would try to do.

Not to mention all the women training for Olympic/World teams.

Gable can take an Olympic year and still have a year of college eligibility left as well.

I know, I know, far fetched and I’m going to be called an idiot by Spooner but it’s going to take extreme measures to catch Cael and company.

TNT need to change things up. If I could lay out the way to catch PSU this would be it. It’s going to take some money. Use the new facility to your advantage. First get Gable Steveson and J’Den Cox to HWC. Not that far fetched. J’Den is cousins with Arnold. They would have solid workout partners to prepare for 2024 Olympics. Gable, J’Den, Kueter, Cass, Warner, Telford, Burak make for a pretty solid workout room for upper weights.

Next, Move Terry to HWC
Hire a good young star on the coaching staff. JB, Nolf, Trevel, Gwiz, someone younger.

Nolf, JB or Dake would be ideal bc they are all going to be fighting for 74 kg and Nolf and Dake should be in different camps. Could say the same about Brooks and Taylor.

Gable can take an Olympic year and still have a year of college eligibility left as well.

I know, I know, far fetched and I’m going to be called an idiot by Spooner but it’s going to take extreme measures to catch Cael and company.
We are taking suggestions...thanks!

Next, Move Terry to HWC

Some things to think about. Good on you for having the courage to think and make some suggestions when most others piss and moan.

It wouldn't hurt to actually get a couple of wrestlers of significance to join the hwc (non-iowa grads). But that still hasn't happened despite the fact that we have been told money is no longer an issue. Elite post grad wrestlers apparently see no reason to come to Iowa to train.......and that needs to change.

Next, Move Terry to HWC

I like the idea of Nolf coming. Give him a call and ask what it would take

It wouldn't hurt to actually get a couple of wrestlers of significance to join the hwc (non-iowa grads). But that still hasn't happened despite the fact that we have been told money is no longer an issue. Elite post grad wrestlers apparently see no reason to come to Iowa to train.......and that needs to change.
Money is an issue with post grads, and the HWC. I suggest donating heavily

Next, Move Terry to HWC

I like a lot of your ideas. I even think a couple could happen. Still, the issue really is that there is NOT room for 2 teams to be doing what PSU is doing right now. For Iowa to truly be competitive with PSU, PSU has to have some things happen to them to bring them back down to Earth a bit.

Can Iowa improve significantly? Absolutely. Can they reach the level PSU is at now if nothing happens to PSU to bring them down? Absolutely not. What PSU is doing at all levels right now simply has NEVER been done before. Even with how great Iowa was under Gable, there simply wasn't the amount of moving parts that there currently is now.

Simply put, PSU is "too big to fail" right now. For them to slip, it would take some type of scandal or a major coaching change(retirement or Casey deciding to go be a HC somewhere else). They are the clear #1 in too many things right now. They don't even have to innovate anymore. As good as they are, I am sure they still will. But, they could simply just maintain what they have and no one is coming close any time soon...

I like a lot of your ideas. I even think a couple could happen. Still, the issue really is that there is NOT room for 2 teams to be doing what PSU is doing right now. For Iowa to truly be competitive with PSU, PSU has to have some things happen to them to bring them back down to Earth a bit.

Can Iowa improve significantly? Absolutely. Can they reach the level PSU is at now if nothing happens to PSU to bring them down? Absolutely not. What PSU is doing at all levels right now simply has NEVER been done before. Even with how great Iowa was under Gable, there simply wasn't the amount of moving parts that there currently is now.

Simply put, PSU is "too big to fail" right now. For them to slip, it would take some type of scandal or a major coaching change(retirement or Casey deciding to go be a HC somewhere else). They are the clear #1 in too many things right now. They don't even have to innovate anymore. As good as they are, I am sure they still will. But, they could simply just maintain what they have and no one is coming close any time soon...
You need the next big shift and the last was in 2009/2010. Prior to that it was 1975. Gable and Sanderson were like Glocks.

They entirely changed the game/market. That kind of change is pretty rare.

Next, Move Terry to HWC

Your not a idiot because you have ideas. Always remember that “hope is a good thing”.

I think Iowa also needs to be open to alternative funding streams than the HWC. There are other NIL collectives that have tried to reach out and help the program. The old way of doing things may no longer be the best. There is help out there, accept it.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
In all seriousness, do we have confidence in that if the hwc club had the financial resources that we could bring in outside guys?

Also, don't investors need to see some sort of ROI? Which do you think will come first- we get a bunch of people willing to donate money and hope the current leadership figures things out and leads the club to success or the club leadership figures things out and we start to have success and people start wanting to donate?

Recruiting at the colliegiate & post grad level need to improve. For both of those to improve some philosophies need to change. Colliegiately a recruiting coordinator would help. See tOSU & OSU. Post colliegiately from what I've been told is entirely philosophy. The HWC board, & Iowa coaches prefer to build from within to maintain culture and that is directly from the director of the HWC. I don't mean to call him out, but I think for the people that want/think that needs to change they need to first know why it is to be able to work to change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fan In Black
Has the playing field has been leveled for the undergrads, but not yet for grads / HWC?
Nothing has been leveled. When PSU was using the slush fund they had to keep it somewhat in check to make it believable. It the mean time they were able to elevate their program above everyone else and create the runaway best club on top of it.. Now they don't have to worry about anything and they are able to stack talent upon talent. They still have far superior recruiting ability and the runaway best club. Even if NIL money was theoretically equal they have more to entice with and are more proficient at the enticing process.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
LMK who they are. I'll talk to them and get them connected. Agree, as I always have that the more the merrier and everyone is important.
Has the playing field has been leveled for the undergrads, but not yet for grads / HWC?
Yes, I believe you are correct

In all seriousness, do we have confidence in that if the hwc club had the financial resources that we could bring in outside guys?

Also, don't investors need to see some sort of ROI? Which do you think will come first- we get a bunch of people willing to donate money and hope the current leadership figures things out and leads the club to success or the club leadership figures things out and we start to have success and people start wanting to donate?
Yes on #1

Yes on 2, but this is a gray area. Time needs to occur and access the results as they come in. How much time to catch PSU? I'd say two good recruiting and portal years starting with those who walk on campus Aug 2024

3 years ago I thought Iowa was back, on the way to battling with PSU yearly for supremacy. A mix of blue chips, and filling in holes in the lineup with transfers, along with a potential new facility.

15 months ago I thought Iowa had an outside chance at getting a few beloved guys individual titles and maybe a repeat team title to go with, and the lure of a world class facility being approved would buoy the whole thing.

3 months ago I thought Iowa would be basking in having its first 4 timer, and 3 absolute hammers (CC, NJ, BK, even if BK was a football risk).

3 weeks ago I thought maybe TnT were going to find a way to dip into the portal (or maybe polar plunge in) and make Iowa a continuous contender, even with PSU's stable of horses. (While hoping they weren't making a deal with the devil to do so).

Today - i really have no idea. Hope isn't a strategy I guess, but honestly its about all I got right now. A blank check would probably solve lots of things (recruits and HWC), but short of that, I don't know. Still love the guys Iowa has - both in the room and on staff (not to mention all the cesspoolers here) - but it feels like the last decade (one title, lots of trophies) is maybe the way things will go until there is a change in either IC or Happy Valley.

I respectfully disagree with this, MSU. Penn State's team scores have not been stratospheric...though that may change with the latest recruiting class and portal class, which are both the best ever.

But one step at a time. If we could hit 100 points for 2 consecutive years (which Tom has never done), that would be a decent starting point.

I respectfully disagree with this, MSU. Penn State's team scores have not been stratospheric...though that may change with the latest recruiting class and portal class, which are both the best ever.

But one step at a time. If we could hit 100 points for 2 consecutive years (which Tom has never done), that would be a decent starting point.
I appreciate and respect your input. On its face, you are correct. PSU’s championships haven’t all been with big team scores. But, which is why I said “right now” in my post, they have truly cornered the entire market with how they just recruited and added from the portal.

Still, if you just go by their scoring over the years, there really isn’t the room to have two teams scoring that much and the 2nd having enough to beat PSU. tOSU is a perfect case in point. They had an incredible 5 year run scoring 102,86,110,134.5 and 96.5. The only year they won was with 102 and that year PSU went full punt mode. In hindsight they probably could have let 2 out of Retherford, Nolf and Nickal go and then stagger their redshirts from there and won another while still winning what they did.

Consistently scoring 100 points is a great goal, but it still is very unlikely to get you more than the 1 in 11 they just pulled off. You are more likely going to need to average over 120 to be competitive and I am not sure that sneaks you many more. Even then, you are still battling a team that keeps averaging putting nearly half in the Finals.

I just don’t see a pathway to truly catch up to a team that has so much elite talent that is always wrestling on Saturday night. But, I admit I would be truly happy to be proven wrong!

Next, Move Terry to HWC

Hope Cael retires.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Iowa is too loyal and heavily reliant on its own grads for the hwc. New blood not trained by TnT and non Iowa grads need to be added to attract more recruits.
Obviously the top recruits prefer to train with Carl and his coached wrestlers over training with tnt. Bring in some of those psu studs and some recruits may follow.
Doing the same old same old isn’t working. Bringing Arnold’s cousin may be a great first step to new blood and a great training partner for the upper weights, which is lacking.

. . . Which do you think will come first- we get a bunch of people willing to donate money and hope the current leadership figures things out and leads the club to success or the club leadership figures things out and we start to have success and people start wanting to donate?
The latter is what happened at PSU.

I appreciate and respect your input. On its face, you are correct. PSU’s championships haven’t all been with big team scores. But, which is why I said “right now” in my post, they have truly cornered the entire market with how they just recruited and added from the portal.

Still, if you just go by their scoring over the years, there really isn’t the room to have two teams scoring that much and the 2nd having enough to beat PSU. tOSU is a perfect case in point. They had an incredible 5 year run scoring 102,86,110,134.5 and 96.5. The only year they won was with 102 and that year PSU went full punt mode. In hindsight they probably could have let 2 out of Retherford, Nolf and Nickal go and then stagger their redshirts from there and won another while still winning what they did.

Consistently scoring 100 points is a great goal, but it still is very unlikely to get you more than the 1 in 11 they just pulled off. You are more likely going to need to average over 120 to be competitive and I am not sure that sneaks you many more. Even then, you are still battling a team that keeps averaging putting nearly half in the Finals.

I just don’t see a pathway to truly catch up to a team that has so much elite talent that is always wrestling on Saturday night. But, I admit I would be truly happy to be proven wrong!
You have a solid take. Looking at historic scores gives a false perspective imo. Psu has won three close ones, three relatively easy , and I think 4 basically by the close on Friday.

I don't think solely building up will do it for a challenger. They need to pull from PSU and I don't see it for the near future. One thing to keep in mind , junior high age wrestlers only have seen one dynasty .

In the age of now recent history matters. Boomers like myself have a sense of history and like to point to it but those two generations don't get it. If you recall 9/11 or challenger remember these kids weren't alive back in those days.

Besides their big slush fund, training partners they can offer, PSU is convincing more of their recruits to forgo their senior year of wrestling, either change to a high school out there or finish online, so they can train in Taylor’s club. Essentially giving them a grey shirt year of training in basically a college atmosphere. So when they do have someone graduate or have a spot open these guys or more ready to go or they have this grey shirt year then red shirt their freshman year giving them 2 years of training before hitting the mat having four full years of eligibility. Carl is definitely thinking outside the box.

Work is being done. Stay tuned.
Have they gone after Ted Waite or Mark Kaufman as potential big time donors or guys at their level of wealth? Both Iowa grads that have donated large sums of to the university with ties to the athletic department. Maybe a person similar to the guy PSU has.

Next, Move Terry to HWC

Just put a mole in the PSU program and have him expose all their dirty laundry and get PSU on double secret probation.

Then there'll be nobody left to stand in Iowa's way!!! :D :D:D

$$$$$$$$ is how Iowa gets back on top.

I am willing to give any wrestler from any college props on my page and that will never change, but Iowa is the only college that I will ever post information about in terms of their fundraisers. And that won’t ever change either. The coaches have been a positive influence in my brother’s life. Not to mention, I grew up an hour south of IC… being from a wrestling family from Hawkeye Nation and being proud of the reputation of excellence that Iowa wrestling built has become a part of my identity that I would rather not part with. And I will promote these shamelessly because what can a fan of another squad even try to say to a dude who has covered guys from their own state more than some media guys from their own state ever has…?

I once helped raise $100,000 for a wrestling family in a terrible situation on my page… One of the first times in my life where my naturally self-critical mind couldn’t even convince myself that I hadn’t done something right instead of failing. And this was when the page had only 10K followers on Facebook. It now has 42K and has averaged a post reach of no less than 5 million people per week consistently for the past year. And this is just on Facebook… not including the other platforms (to be fair, I usually tend to neglect my Twitter and Instagram accounts because I hate them both). I am not saying this to flex my nuts… it’s just that I know I can raise a nice chunk for them… I think I am totally incompetent when it comes to raising money for myself, but hot damn I sure seem to have a knack for raising it for others.

I don’t know who handles that sort of thing at Iowa, but all they have to do is ask and I will gladly and unapologetically post info for any sort of fundraiser they ever put together…

I don’t think I’ve ever taken the initiative to put all that out there, but to whoever is interested in pointing me in that direction in terms of a schedule of the upcoming fundraisers, please send it my way… I will promote every one of them and won’t ever expect anything in return. Someone pm me or something if they can help me out here because I never know when they are… always so busy.

Last edited:

Next, Move Terry to HWC

Why would anyone with any reputation whatsoever ever come work with the current staff?

If the answer is, "Because the Brands are the elite of the elite, only really behind one person", then I turn it around: Why on Earth would they need anyone new on the staff?

$$$$$$$$ is how Iowa gets back on top.

I am willing to give any wrestler from any college props on my page and that will never change, but Iowa is the only college that I will ever post information about in terms of their fundraisers. And that won’t ever change either. The coaches have been a positive influence in my brother’s life. Not to mention, I grew up an hour south of IC… being from a wrestling family from Hawkeye Nation and being proud of the reputation of excellence that Iowa wrestling built has become a part of my identity that I would rather not part with. And I will promote these shamelessly because what can a fan of another squad even try to say to a dude who has covered guys from their own state more than some media guys from their own state ever has…?

I once helped raise $100,000 for a wrestling family in a terrible situation on my page… One of the first times in my life where my naturally self-critical mind couldn’t even convince myself that I hadn’t done something right instead of failing. And this was when the page had only 10K followers on Facebook. It now has 42K and has averaged a post reach of no less than 5 million people per week consistently for the past year. And this is just on Facebook… not including the other platforms (to be fair, I usually tend to neglect my Twitter and Instagram accounts because I hate them both). I am not saying this to flex my nuts… it’s just that I know I can raise a nice chunk for them… I think I am totally incompetent when it comes to raising money for myself, but hot damn I sure seem to have a knack for raising it for others.

I don’t know who handles that sort of thing at Iowa, but all they have to do is ask and I will gladly and unapologetically post info for any sort of fundraiser they ever put together…

I don’t think I’ve ever taken the initiative to put all that out there, but to whoever is interested in pointing me in that direction in terms of a schedule of the upcoming fundraisers, please send it my way… I will promote every one of them and won’t ever expect anything in return. Someone pm me or something if they can help me out here because I never know when they are… always so busy.
What’s the best email to reach you?

Reactions: PinDoxRico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT