ADVERTISEMENT

How do you safely put weight on a teenage athlete?

jellyfish10

HB Legend
Aug 10, 2009
I know @Tenacious E has sought advice for strength training for his teenage son. My son is 15 and about 5’10” and a buck 35ish. He is mainly a linebacker in football and infielder in baseball. He is looking to add some weight but has his old man’s genes. I have no problem with wanting to add weight, the question is, how do we do it safely without adding bad weight? I’m not worried about the strength and conditioning aspect, but what about supplements at his age? @ClarindaA's, @Monzon or anyone else with expertise care to share? @Herkmeister no offense, but you can sit this one out.

191.jpeg

I know @Tenacious E has sought advice for strength training for his teenage son. My son is 15 and about 5’10” and a buck 35ish. He is mainly a linebacker in football and infielder in baseball. He is looking to add some weight but has his old man’s genes. I have no problem with wanting to add weight, the question is, how do we do it safely without adding bad weight? I’m not worried about the strength and conditioning aspect, but what about supplements at his age? @ClarindaA's, @Monzon or anyone else with expertise care to share? @Herkmeister no offense, but you can sit this one out.
You're a good father and I understand.

Not a bad thing. However, a major emphasis should be put on technique and proper movements, even if it mean lifting lower weight.

A friend of my son hurt his back lifting heavy his FR year of football at college, because he had never been shown proper form and technique. Tried going too heavy without mastering those at college (they actually did show him proper form), and his football career ended at 19.

Don't worry about gaining weight at his age, let it come naturally for now. Maybe by the time he's in college. Let his body stop changing first.

Steroids! :p

Seriously though are you willing to hire a personal trainer? It isn't necessary, but if you get a good one they can put him on a great plan, routine, motivation and diet.

If you want to DIY, then there was a thread on here that had the workout routine his kid was doing based off HROT feedback of Push day (shoulders, chest and Tris), Pull day (Back and bis), leg day then push then pull again.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Eating the right foods will go a long ways. He doesn't need to lift for bulk and he likely will naturally grow with the proper diet and fitness. Lower body exercises will go a long ways towards adding good weight. A buddy of mine was about 155# his senior year of HS. Took up rowing in college, even participated in the World Rowing Championships and bulked up to 210# without any bad weight.

Not a bad thing. However, a major emphasis should be put on technique and proper movements, even if it mean lifting lower weight.

A friend of my son hurt his back lifting heavy his FR year of football at college, because he had never been shown proper form and technique. Tried going too heavy without mastering those at college (they actually did show him proper form), and his football career ended at 19.
I have instilled that in him since he started lifting. I hope by know he understands that pushing around a bunch of weight does no good if it is detrimental to the desired result but I appreciate the sentiment.

He’s on a push/pull/legs/rest split. He does bench, military press, flies, shoulder flies, and tricep extensions on push. Squats, hex bar jumps, Bulgarian split squats, and Russian leg curls* for legs. Pull consists of cleans, pull ups and weighted pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs, and preacher curls. Works in deadlift sometimes. Off day he works abs and neck. His core is strong.

*edited to change leg curls to Russian leg curls
is from thread: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/weightlifting-belts.354975/page-2

Seriously though are you willing to hire a personal trainer? It isn't necessary, but if you get a good one they can put him on a great plan, routine, motivation and diet.

If you want to DIY, then there was a thread on here that had the workout routine his kid was doing based off HROT feedback of Push day (shoulders, chest and Tris), Pull day (Back and bis), leg day then push then pull again.
Thankfully I don’t need to hire one. I have several friends that are personal trainers that have designed workouts for him.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
At 5-10 135 he should work on speed, agility, and explosiveness and look at a position switch to Safety. Target about 6 foot 190 as a senior with a sub 4.7 40 time. That will get some looks at the D2/NAIA level.

You can get a lot done with kettlebells, dumbbells and a decent bench. You can also do push ups with your feet on the bench and hands gripping the dumbbells on the floor. That's how I started when I was 15.

At 5-10 135 he should work on speed, agility, and explosiveness and look at a position switch to Safety. Target about 6 foot 190 as a senior with a sub 4.7 40 time. That will get some looks at the D2/NAIA level.
My dad is, well, was, 6’4”. I’m the one that got gypped in the height department. Maybe he is done growing but I would guess not. He is a natural at linebacker and I dunno that he has the hips to be a DB. At this point I’m just trying to gain information.

Good carbs. Protein. Protein. Protein!
You’re smart enough to know what the bad stuff is, so keep that in moderation. Extra protein helps build those muscles and also provide satiety.

Focus on compound lifts, especially lower body/hips.
A lot of this, plus creatine post workout, along with sugar post workout.

Eating the right foods will go a long ways. He doesn't need to lift for bulk and he likely will naturally grow with the proper diet and fitness. Lower body exercises will go a long ways towards adding good weight. A buddy of mine was about 155# his senior year of HS. Took up rowing in college, even participated in the World Rowing Championships and bulked up to 210# without any bad weight.
So my grandma shouldn't have encouraged me to clear my plate and have 2 pieces of pie?

Good carbs. Protein. Protein. Protein!
You’re smart enough to know what the bad stuff is, so keep that in moderation. Extra protein helps build those muscles and also provide satiety.

Focus on compound lifts, especially lower body/hips.
Do you think it is safe to add, let’s say protein, creatine, etc, to his diet?

My sophomore year for football I was 5’10 140#

My junior year I was 6’2” 190#

What did I do? I grew, lol. It was mostly genetics.

"Eat more" is the simple answer.

First question - any medical issues or intolerances that you are aware? No one should be prescribing anything until this has been answered. Specific things I am looking at would be some sort of kidney or liver issues, lactose or gluten intolerances...

Second, let's define the goal a bit. He's 61 kg. What does "add some weight" from a measurement perspective mean to him? Another 20 lbs? 40? How concerned is he with having visible abs? This is a question he needs to answer - it's his physique.

I'll fill in more once these are answered.

that was my thread/kid. It worked and I would recommend reading it. Since September 15th, he’s close to 170 now up from 145ish. Bench from 175 to 285. Gunning for 300 by June.

Last edited:
This was the main thread

Reactions: West Duval Nole
This was the main thread
Thanks E.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure your son watches this very important after school special staring Ben Affleck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT