ADVERTISEMENT

How do YOU take Kirk’s comments?

85n1yl.jpg

“The bottom line is there's a lot of ways to move the ball and move the ball effectively. Have regard to time of possession, some of those thing".

In other words, the same BS. Ferentz is not a very smart man, but he might be the luckiest guy ever given Parkers and Barta. IMO.

The reality is our lack of skill and O Line talent/development have magnified a tired, simplistic offensive scheme. We either need better talent, a more innovative scheme or ideally some of both.

I fear we are not set up for success at the QB, WR and to some degree OL positions.

Makes you appreciate guys like Nick Easley, Matt Vandeberg, ISM, Brandon Smith, etc.

Cade seems to be a diminishing asset, though would love to see what he has left in the tank when healthy. Lead foot is not the answer. I would be open to giving Lainez an opportunity, he was electric with his legs, even slight improvement with his throwing mechanics would be immense.

Again, I don't think the problem with BF had to do with the playbook per se. The problems were a porous offensive line, a receiver corps that had couldn't get separation, a immobile overweight turnover prone QB, predictable play calling and an inability to adjust to what the defense was giving us by a play caller that knew plays but had no idea what to call and when.

So....I am not convinced that ww need to do much different playbook wise. A new WR coach and a new OC that has ANY experience calling plays is sure to be an upgrade.

It matters little, to me, that he hasn't been a throw it all over the field OC. Guess we will see.

What I don’t get is the man showed he could adjust when he was forced. When we had Drew Tate, a questionable line, and some guy from the concession stand at running back, we rolled Tate out and let things develop.
Play to the strengths of what you have, not wish you had what you don’t have.

What I don’t get is the man showed he could adjust when he was forced. When we had Drew Tate, a questionable line, and some guy from the concession stand at running back, we rolled Tate out and let things develop.
KOK probably did a lot of that

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Kirk: there are things that arent negotiable” then talks about ball security

Also Kirk: sending Deacon Hill out every game
Fav moment this season was Kirk bringing up turnovers in defending going with Deacon over Joey or Marco, and a reporter actually responded asking Kirk if he was aware that Deacon had the highest qb turnover ratio in the country.

Fav moment this season was Kirk bringing up turnovers in defending going with Deacon over Joey or Marco, and a reporter actually responded asking Kirk if he was aware that Deacon had the highest qb turnover ratio in the country.
I am working myself towards the decision that if Kirk has Deacon 2nd on the depth chart I will not watch an Iowa game he starts. All Kirk does is give fans the middle finger.

Again, I don't think the problem with BF had to do with the playbook per se. The problems were a porous offensive line, a receiver corps that had couldn't get separation, a immobile overweight turnover prone QB, predictable play calling and an inability to adjust to what the defense was giving us by a play caller that knew plays but had no idea what to call and when.

So....I am not convinced that ww need to do much different playbook wise. A new WR coach and a new OC that has ANY experience calling plays is sure to be an upgrade.

It matters little, to me, that he hasn't been a throw it all over the field OC. Guess we will see.
Our playbook is straight out of the 1990’s. It needs major updating.

Drew Tate played from 04-06…. We need more recent examples

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Kirk: there are things that arent negotiable” then talks about ball security

Also Kirk: sending Deacon Hill out every game
What Kirk (and some fans) are implying by saying ML shouldn’t see the field is that he would have been worse than Hill.

That’s unfathomable. It means Iowa recruits the worst possible QBs in the nation

Hill had something like 11 turnovers (fumbled & ints) and countless other fumbles lucky enough to recover

So Marco would have had to perform worse than that. If it’s possible

Hill couldn’t complete 50% of his passes. What Div 1 QB can’t hit that number ? Stanley was maddening with his accuracy and he was a 58-59%

We’d kill for that completion percentage again.

I just don’t get how Kirk can say protecting the football and chewing up the clock is the goal when he put out a QB who couldn’t do either.

What do you expect him to say? "My son Brian was terrible, and to dig out of this hole we are fundamentally re-thinking our approach on the offensive side of the ball?"

I'm not confident there were any other QBs on the roster who would've turned the ball over less. Maybe Labas but we know that ship had sailed by the time he got healthy.
Many of Hills turnovers were from pressure. He couldn’t run away from it and couldn’t hold onto the ball. He was a statue and defenses took advantage of it.

Dam, how many 10 win seasons are we going to have to suffer through?
It’s hilarious simpletons such as yourself thump their chests over 10 wins, and ignore the embarrassing losses to close out the season. If you’re content to being the tallest midget, more power to you. Nothing about last season is something to be proud of, nor was it fun to watch.

Sooooo, which strengths do they have? Their best play in 22 and 23 was punting.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Look, the offense sucks. There is no argument or anything he could say that will change that.

But, there is nothing wrong with a conservative strategy of offense, Yes, the offense needs to be a lot better to compete with the better teams, but playing aggressively with this offense was simply not going to work.

Reactions: Underscore2
You TRY another quarterback when you discover your current guy is an in-game turnover machine.

How are we not understanding this?
That's not how KF rolls. How are we not understanding this?

Labas could have stepped in after getting healthy but he blew it behavior-wise. Once he was on KF's shit list it was all over. I'm disappointed in him.

What Kirk (and some fans) are implying by saying ML shouldn’t see the field is that he would have been worse than Hill.

That’s unfathomable. It means Iowa recruits the worst possible QBs in the nation

Hill had something like 11 turnovers (fumbled & ints) and countless other fumbles lucky enough to recover

So Marco would have had to perform worse than that. If it’s possible

Hill couldn’t complete 50% of his passes. What Div 1 QB can’t hit that number ? Stanley was maddening with his accuracy and he was a 58-59%

We’d kill for that completion percentage again.

I just don’t get how Kirk can say protecting the football and chewing up the clock is the goal when he put out a QB who couldn’t do either.
But he practiced well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT