Votes: 25 40.3%
  • 3 - Sometimes empathetic, that's how your supposed to be

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • 2 - Very targeted empathy, prefer animals

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 1 - F 'em all

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
On a scale of 1 to 5, with five being the most empathetic, how empathetic are you to your fellow humans?
I'll give myself a 3.5. Kids get met every time, as do people with mental disabilities. I also understand tough life circumstances, a history of abuse, etc. With that being said, when I see an able bodied guy standing on a corner with a sign asking for money, I've have zero empathy.

I'll give myself a 3.5. Kids get met every time, as do people with mental disabilities. I also understand tough life circumstances, a history of abuse, etc. With that being said, when I see an able bodied guy standing on a corner with a sign asking for money, I've have zero empathy.

Offer them a job or a ride to a place to apply for jobs. I've also bought them breakfast, because I won't give them cash.

My old man use to hand them applications to fast food joints when paper apps were still a thing.

Strong move. The only problem is if they don't have a place to sleep and bathe, plus transportation, that is not going to work. That is why I get mad at friends throwing their old bikes away. Some homeless person could use that to get to work.

THIS!

Reactions: Tenacious E
I feel bad for those of you that can't have empathy beyond kids. Adults get shit on not only due to their fault, but outside factors.

I'm not sure I like this crowd's temperature.

Basically: f you Greenfield. f you John Deere employees getting laid off, f you if you get cancer, f you if you make a mistake in life. Some of you need some help.

I’m very empathetic:
  • If I see a video of someone falling down I actually feel that falling sensation
  • Some scenes in movies/TV just break me. Watching The Bear…whew.
  • Videos of soldier coming home: forget it, worse than cutting onions.
  • I still tear up every time I do the wave at Kinnick.
I’m a big pu$$y when it comes to those type of things and proud of it.

I was lucky enough to rise to pretty senior ranks in corporate America and think that helped me a lot in leadership. It did make certain decisions harder personally. Part of the reason I left was I just didn’t want that occasional pain anymore.

I feel bad for those of you that can't have empathy beyond kids. Adults get shit on not only due to their fault, but outside factors.

Basically: f you Greenfield. f you John Deere employees getting laid off, f you if you get cancer, f you if you make a mistake in life. Some of you need some help.
I guess my comment on this would be that my empathy is inversely correlated to the amount of control one has over plight. I have the highest empathy for kids and people with mental disabilities and handicaps. I also believe that those who have sacrificed their health for our country in the military deserve everything we have to try to make them as whole as possible. Below that are situations where there are random natural disasters. They deserve all of the first responder help possible, and help rebuilding, but they should have insurance to cushion the financial blow. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the guys standing on the corner holding a sign asking for money, who just want to live off of the grid. I have no time for them. A step above them are junkies begging for money, who are there because of personal decisions. They have an addiction, but they can either quit or get into a program. As for healthcare and cancer, I am coming around on some type of universal healthcare program.

This is a very simplistic view.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with five being the most empathetic, how empathetic are you to your fellow humans?
I voted 4 but really a 3.5. Sometimes I am not very empathetic to people who just do not try and keep making the same mistake. I know it can be hard for people especially someone who is addicted. I am not not empathetic to people with addiction but mostly those who do not try.

Reactions: goldmom
I’m very empathetic:
  • If I see a video of someone falling down I actually feel that falling sensation

I was lucky enough to rise to pretty senior ranks in corporate America and think that helped me a lot in leadership. It did make certain decisions harder personally. Part of the reason I left was I just didn’t want that occasional pain anymore.
0952acef-5f87-4ff2-a43e-e84dd3b8cc03_text.gif

I’m very empathetic:

I used to hate sitting in a meeting and hearing talk about laying off this person or that group with no more concern than if you were deciding where to go to lunch.

I am above average overall but really susceptible to people being physically hurt like falling-my stomach muscles can actually react like I am the one being hurt. Strange.

Reactions: goldmom
I guess my comment on this would be that my empathy is inversely correlated to the amount of control one has over plight. I have the highest empathy for kids and people with mental disabilities and handicaps. I also believe that those who have sacrificed their health for our country in the military deserve everything we have to try to make them as whole as possible. Below that are situations where there are random natural disasters. They deserve all of the first responder help possible, and help rebuilding, but they should have insurance to cushion the financial blow. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the guys standing on the corner holding a sign asking for money, who just want to live off of the grid. I have no time for them. A step above them are junkies begging for money, who are there because of personal decisions. They have an addiction, but they can either quit or get into a program. As for healthcare and cancer, I am coming around on some type of universal healthcare program.
Sounds more like Old Testament justice than empathy.

That's a sort of. I sort of agree, but if you sign up for mean green you know it's just for a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT