ADVERTISEMENT

How Iowan are you?

The comment section is hilarious. People are going batshit crazy over some stupid internet quiz. Oh, and one old lady spelled newcomer, "new cummer."

Reactions: JWolf74
To claim to be an Iowan:

1. You were born in the state of Iowa
2. You were educated in Iowa elementary grade schools.
and high schools.
3. Extra credit if you graduated from a college in Iowa.
4. Extra credit if you got married and raised a family in Iowa.

You are the: Newcomer Iowan.Welcome to Iowa! You'll find our friendly Midwestern state full of bike trails, farmers' markets, and well-educated, attractive people. Enjoy.

Not one QC related question. Many for Des Moines area. Waste of time.

I'm guessing if you take the quiz, you are doing so because you think you are. So if they say everybody is very Iowan, it's not very compelling. However, if you tell a 60 year resident that they are only sort of Iowan, well, look out....

I love me some Crab Rangoon pizza from Fong's, not sure if it's big all over Iowa though. And not really sure why having eaten some would indicate you were, unless they are deducting points for it. Either way, IMHO, it's Fong's best pizza.

Took quiz said I was a newcomer to the state. That's news to me I have lived here for almost 35 years. My entire life. And yes I am both saddened yet honored to say that.

Really bad quiz, that left out some very important questions:

1. How do you pronounce the word creek?

Correct answer: crick

2. How do you pronouce the word wash?

Correct answer: warsh

3. Where do the best muskemelons in the world come from?

Correct answer: Muscatine

4. What would happen if Iowa ceded its two southernmost tiers of counties to MissourI?

Correct answer: You'd raise the average IQ in both states.

5, and most important: What's the state nickname (albeit unofficial)?

THE HAWKEYE STATE

They are like Thomas Barnes:

They do not count, because they do not know anything.

LOL - Start-up Iowan. I guess if you were born and raised in Sioux City (or NW Iowa for that matter) you don't count as an Iowan. Well, I suppose we already knew the Iowa border is about 20 miles west of Des Moines as far as most are concerned.

Actually reading the comments confirms what I already knew about Iowans. Many Iowans are very rooted in their communities. So rooted they don't go out and experience every event in the state. More of a front porch, head uptown for dinner on a Friday or Saturday night, need to be in the fields early/turn the sows out type of people. Simple people, to put it another way.

I have an uncle in Barnes City, IA. Only saw him 2wice that I can remember and only visited him once. I did like Coach Hayden Fry and I met some fun loving Iowa folks in Jacksonville at the Taxslayer Bowl(all they talked about was getting rid of Kirk)...and I like this forum. So where does that rank me on the "Iowan scale"?

3. Where do the best muskemelons in the world come from?

Correct answer: Muscatine

4. What would happen if Iowa ceded its two southernmost tiers of counties to MissourI?

Correct answer: You'd raise the average IQ in both states.

5, and most important: What's the state nickname (albeit unofficial)?

THE HAWKEYE STATE
3. It's "mushmelons."

6. How do you pronounce the Iowa towns "Nevada" and "Charlotte" and "Madrid"?

Reactions: HawkCapt1912

I know of no one that says crick, other than my mom's relatives in southern Missouri.
I know of no one that says warsh, other than my mom's relative in southern Missouri.

Both of those things lead me to believe you think you can trade everyone in Iowa and everyone in southern Missouri and no one would notice a difference.

I know of no one that says crick, other than my mom's relatives in southern Missouri.
I know of no one that says warsh, other than my mom's relative in southern Missouri.

Both of those things lead me to believe you think you can trade everyone in Iowa and everyone in southern Missouri and no one would notice a difference.
Our mayor does. :eek:

I say crick. ..... just said this word the other day to my buddy and he looked at me odd. But, he's from Jersey so his opinion doesn't matter.

My dad says warsh....I think that's more of a generation thing. It's always older folks who say that for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT