ADVERTISEMENT

How is this even legal?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
NEW YORK (CNN) – Any Chick-fil-A fan knows the chicken chain is closed on Sundays.

It’s a practice that’s been in place since Chick-fil-A first opened in Georgia in 1946.

But now, a bill has been introduced in New York that could affect Chick-fil-A locations at rest stops along Interstate 90 in New York state.

The new bill would require food services at transportation facilities and rest areas to remain open seven days a week.

The bill goes on to say that “While there is nothing objectionable about a fast food restaurant closing on a particular day of the week, service areas dedicated to travelers is an inappropriate location for such a restaurant ... Allowing for retail space to go unused one seventh of the week or more is a disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas.”

So far, no comment from Chick-fil-A.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie and peacehawk
State legislatures routinely regulate businesses operating within their borders. How is it not legal?
I call it having elected state representatives who actually give a damn for once.

You’re on a highway and you need to eat only to find the restaurant closed the entire day. Thats insane.

Yes you do whatever the hell you want but not at a service station for state travelers.

Reactions: BelemNole
The state is passing a law that says service area restaurants must be open 7 days a week on all future contracts signed, nothing against the law.

They can not change the current contract , so whenever the leases with Applegreen's ( current service provider) expires they will have to find a new vendor, or Applegreens will have to replace Chik Fil A locations at service areas.

Seems like a targeted law for sure, which 6 days of Chik Fil A is better than 7 days of some other fast food joint

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Asinine bill but if it means delicious delicious CFA on Sunday, count me in

It doesn’t have anything to do religion if you look at it objectively. They are closed on Sundays. The world doesn’t stop on Sundays. You don’t like it, well too bad. It’s a perfectly legitimate reason to create a law.

They cite a religious reason for being closed on Sundays. Nothing about religion is "objective"....

Even a corporation has religious rights. This law would not stand constitutional scrutiny.
As I understand the bill, the legislation only effects "Chick-Fil-A locations at rest stops along Interstate 90 in New York". Rest stops are government owned property. Chick-Fil-A has entered into a lease agreement with the State of New York.

My bet is that the lease agreement requires, and the restaurant has agreed, to abide by all laws of the State of New York. If so, the only question under a legal challenge is this: does a state law which requires rest stop businesses operating on government property be open on Sunday constitute a violtion of religious freedom? No. Chick can voluntarily terminate their lease with NY if they are morally aggrieved. Otherwise, honor the contract and obey the laws.

Cool, religion doesnt afford you or a corporation to do whatever the fvck you want regardless of the law or effect on society. Give it up bro, this is a losing argument.

Please tell that to the EEOC because they mandate that we allow employees to have the Sabbath off of work if they want to.

Please tell that to the EEOC because they mandate that we allow employees to have the Sabbath off of work if they want to.
Unless it causes undue hardship. There’s laws protecting both sides, but at the end of the day, the business can give plenty of reason to not be forced to employ someone that won’t work on their “sabbath”. What else ya got?

Unless it causes undue hardship. There’s laws protecting both sides, but at the end of the day, the business can give plenty of reason to not be forced to employ someone that won’t work on their “sabbath”. What else ya got?

LOL, it would only be an undue hardship if CFA was the ONLY food option at the interstate rest stop.

I’ve never eaten at CFA and don’t intend to in the future, so I can’t argue on how tasty their food is. It seems like lots of you love it.

IMHO, not being open on Sunday seems like a bad business model. How many of their employees are devote Christians who would refuse to work on Sunday. I feel the same way about Fareway.

I’ve never eaten at CFA and don’t intend to in the future, so I can’t argue on how tasty their food is. It seems like lots of you love it.

IMHO, not being open on Sunday seems like a bad business model. How many of their employees are devote Christians who would refuse to work on Sunday. I feel the same way about Fareway.

Publix was closed on Sundays until old man Jenkins died.

The family quickly starting taking money on Sundays.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Prolly cuz there is an existing contract in place and must be honored.

It is being honored, the law notes this will be future contracts. The leasee ( Applegreen's) can choose to replace the Chick Fil A's or not renew the current lease.

Reactions: nu2u

The consistent sun up til sundown line at the Chick-fil-A drive thru by me seems to indicate otherwise

It's salty, fatty fast food. There are far superior food options available. Have I had it, yes. A few times they have dropped it off for us drones at work, and I won't eat it even when it's free.
The chicken sandwich has a whopping 3.5g of saturated fat. I doubt you’re eating much with less than that.

Reactions: Hawkman34
I call it having elected state representatives who actually give a damn for once.

You’re on a highway and you need to eat only to find the restaurant closed the entire day. Thats insane.

Yes you do whatever the hell you want but not at a service station for state travelers.
I don’t really care about the law one way or another, but..

It’s not like the interstate is the Sahara desert. I think people would be perfectly fine if Chic-fil-A was closed. Little Timmy isn’t going to starve because he didn’t get his spicy chicken sandwich at the rest stop.

Business that lease from the Illinois tollway are required to be open 7 days a week and gas stations much be open 24/7. Not sure what the issue is.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT