ADVERTISEMENT

How is this even legal?

Dumb legislation is dumb.

I asked the question straight to Mr. Beckwith before he gave up his power (not control) of Fareway; will you ever be open on Sundays. His words were "not as I am alive"

And criminy, if you can't find something other than chick-filet to eat on Sunday, you are beyond poor.

Reactions: tigerhawk2015
So much for democrats allegedly fighting for workers rights. They're trying to get a political victory over chic fil a at the employees expense.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
NEW YORK (CNN) – Any Chick-fil-A fan knows the chicken chain is closed on Sundays.

It’s a practice that’s been in place since Chick-fil-A first opened in Georgia in 1946.

But now, a bill has been introduced in New York that could affect Chick-fil-A locations at rest stops along Interstate 90 in New York state.

The new bill would require food services at transportation facilities and rest areas to remain open seven days a week.

The bill goes on to say that “While there is nothing objectionable about a fast food restaurant closing on a particular day of the week, service areas dedicated to travelers is an inappropriate location for such a restaurant ... Allowing for retail space to go unused one seventh of the week or more is a disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas.”

So far, no comment from Chick-fil-A.

They already went though this at Atlanta Stadiums.

Reactions: seminoleed
It’s not unlawful to be open on Sunday.

It’s a commercial contract with stipulations. If the company find the terms objectionable they turn it down. I don’t have to hire a lifeguard company that doesn’t supply lifeguards on Sunday.

Terrible analogy.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
CFA is open more hours in a given week than several of the other NY Thruway food service providers because of the fact that they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

CFA is open 95 hours each week. The Panera Bread locations are open 91 hours each week. The Popeye's locations range from 73.5 hours per week to 87.5 hours per week. The Auntie Anne's locations are only open 56 hours per week.

Sure, CFA is closed on Sundays while the other restaurants are open. But there are several hours per day each of the other six days per week when CFA is open while the other restaurants are closed. If this truly was about "disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas" then they would also be requiring the other restaurants to open more hours each day.

This is nothing more than another thinly veiled attack on CFA, just like the Buffalo Airport and other government entities across the country that have tried to ban CFA.

Link

I’m confused. You think having consistent business on only 6 days a week is better than having consistent business 7 days a week? That makes perfect sense.
It's one of the oldest tricks in the corporate book.....make your product just a bit more rare.

What cars are worth the most? The rare ones
What baseball memorabilia is worth the most? The rare ones
When gas is cheap, is it because there's less of it? It's because producers are flooding the market.

I guarantee you that they make more money in 6 days then a lot of their competition makes in 7, therefore no need to be open 7.

In today's world with continued staffing issues, we should be celebrating businesses being closed on Sunday's and being successful in doing so.

Perhaps other places could learn from them instead of bitching about them.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Any Chick-fil-A fan knows the chicken chain is closed on Sundays.

It’s a practice that’s been in place since Chick-fil-A first opened in Georgia in 1946.

But now, a bill has been introduced in New York that could affect Chick-fil-A locations at rest stops along Interstate 90 in New York state.

The new bill would require food services at transportation facilities and rest areas to remain open seven days a week.

The bill goes on to say that “While there is nothing objectionable about a fast food restaurant closing on a particular day of the week, service areas dedicated to travelers is an inappropriate location for such a restaurant ... Allowing for retail space to go unused one seventh of the week or more is a disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas.”

Man, first Northern posts a thread about leaf blowers being banned and now Trad is posting a thread about Chick-fil-a. Slow news day for some folks on here
It’s cause for celebration that the state of New York has solved all of their problems and the only thing left for them to do is ensure that Thruway travelers have access to multiple fast food options on Sundays.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Tradition
So Trad gets his dander up trying to make it look like the state is targeting a specific business because a bill to make travel/rest fscilities open 7 days a week?

Id say leave it up to the owners of the rest area, but can understand why they would do this. Id rather it say that if a rest places has less than X food service places, then those had to be open 24/7.

As far as food quality of chic-fil.~a, it is servicesble. What gives them the edge as far as fast foid goes is i can jump in a driverhru with 20 other cars already in line and be on my way quicker than getting in line of three cars at any of the cedar rapids Wendys, mickey d, or BK locations.

So Trad gets his dander up trying to make it look like the state is targeting a specific business because a bill to make travel/rest fscilities open 7 days a week?

Id say leave it up to the owners of the rest area, but can understand why they would do this. Id rather it say that if a rest places has less than X food service places, then those had to be open 24/7.

As far as food quality of chic-fil.~a, it is servicesble. What gives them the edge as far as fast foid goes is i can jump in a driverhru with 20 other cars already in line and be on my way quicker than getting in line of three cars at any of the cedar rapids Wendys, mickey d, or BK locations.

They're obviously targeting CFA because CFA is the only chain that doesn't open on Sundays.

They're obviously targeting CFA because CFA is the only chain that doesn't open on Sundays.

Whether or not CFA is the only chain currently closed on sunday is irrelevant, unless it allows other chains in the future to not operate 7 days a week in those locations

If there are other options at these areas on a sunday, i have no problem with cfa being closed in sunday at these places. . At worst, i would say if there are 3 or fewer options, all 3 have to maintain 7 day a week option.

If i knew CFA was closed on sunday and that was one if the few options, i would find a different place to stop because i would assume the lines at the only other one or two options would be longer.

There has been a few times they brought employees in on a Sunday...always has been some sort of crisis situation.

CFA is open more hours in a given week than several of the other NY Thruway food service providers because of the fact that they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

CFA is open 95 hours each week. The Panera Bread locations are open 91 hours each week. The Popeye's locations range from 73.5 hours per week to 87.5 hours per week. The Auntie Anne's locations are only open 56 hours per week.

Sure, CFA is closed on Sundays while the other restaurants are open. But there are several hours per day each of the other six days per week when CFA is open while the other restaurants are closed. If this truly was about "disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas" then they would also be requiring the other restaurants to open more hours each day.

This is nothing more than another thinly veiled attack on CFA, just like the Buffalo Airport and other government entities across the country that have tried to ban CFA.

Link

Maybe some are targeting CFA for dubious reasons. I don’t know. Certainly not being open half the weekend is a glaring problem for service centers. Total hours per week is interesting and worth considering. OTOH I have to assume the state has some pretty good metrics on the times that are most in-demand and what hours are truly important to travelers. I know I’ve eaten 50x more lunches and dinners at service areas than breakfasts.

It would be interesting to see what all went into the decision, but “they are only doing this because they don’t like us” isn’t very compelling for a travel service that is not available on Sunday.

Reactions: auntie_fah
I do love me some of that hate chicken

It could be called hitler chicken and I’m still runnin a train on the chicken bruh.

its-great-knowing-my-fam-still-eats-there-regularly-even-v0-gibfag6rfyh91.jpg

Reactions: artradley
I never understood people that vehemently applaud Chic Fil A's decision to close on Sunday, but then frequent other restaurants that are open on Sunday. If you truly agreed with that stance, you wouldn't frequent any business on Sunday.

That's silly.

I respect the Seventh Day Adventists' right to perform no work on their Sabbath (sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday). That doesn't mean I shouldn't frequent any other place of worship on a Saturday.

Maybe some are targeting CFA for dubious reasons. I don’t know. Certainly not being open half the weekend is a glaring problem for service centers. Total hours per week is interesting and worth considering. OTOH I have to assume the state has some pretty good metrics on the times that are most in-demand and what hours are truly important to travelers. I know I’ve eaten 50x more lunches and dinners at service areas than breakfasts.

It would be interesting to see what all went into the decision, but “they are only doing this because they don’t like us” isn’t very compelling for a travel service that is not available on Sunday.
Don’t kid yourself, Art. This is almost exclusively about their disdain for CFA’s positions on social issues, particularly traditional marriage and LGBTQ causes.

Reactions: The Tradition

Link
LOL

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Asinine bill but if it means delicious delicious CFA on Sunday, count me in
CFA would just leave the location and some other crappy fast food joint would take their place. You'd still be SOL on Sunday.

• Sad
Reactions: Bro D
Don’t kid yourself, Art. This is almost exclusively about their disdain for CFA’s positions on social issues, particularly traditional marriage and LGBTQ causes.
Poor CFA. They might have to comply with a new law when their current contract ends. The horror!!

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Poor CFA. They might have to comply with a new law when their current contract ends. The horror!!
Their current contract expires in about 31 years. Applegreen Travel Plazas and the state of New York entered into a 33 year contract in 2021. Applegreen partners with multiple restaurants, including CFA, Burger King, Shake Shack, Popeye’s, Panera, Panda Express, and several others.

Several NY Assembly members objected to CFA being part of the deal and tried to block them because of their positions on LGBTQ issues. They obviously didn’t succeed and now they’re pissed, so this Sunday thing is their attempt at an end run around the contract.

I assume there is already a contract in place. I'm not aware of an ability to change a contract in this fashion by making a state law. If this passes, it will be litigated. If NY prevails, the franchise owners will likely be bought out, and the locations sold to another chain.

They will just close their restaurants and some shitty place like Mcdees will replace them and people will be stuck with garbage instead of good food. They've shown over the years they will do things they way they want to because they can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT