ADVERTISEMENT

Chick-fil-a over thinking their perfect drive thru concept..

beanerhawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Chick-fil-A known for having a good drive thru that keeps the line moving and people happy. WELL they done f'd up here in Cedar Rapids Ioway. The restaurant on Collins by the mall changed the right lane to App only and the left lane is a normal lane. Stopped to get the wife a salad on the way home yesterday at 4:30 About 10 cars in the left lane, none in the App only lane. I go through in about 10 minutes, not to bad. By the time I was done the line in the normal lane was through the parking lot to the entrance messing up traffic, at least 20 cars deep. One car went through that App line in that time and when I left it was empty. Wonder how long they will stick with it hoping people start using the App, it's been that way for awhile now.

I hate the proliferation of apps. There's no freaking way I would ever download a restaurant app. That's just idiotic. A website can do everything an app can do, and I don't have to download a new screen icon to use it.

Chick-fil-A known for having a good drive thru that keeps the line moving and people happy. WELL they done f'd up here in Cedar Rapids Ioway. The restaurant on Collins by the mall changed the right lane to App only and the left lane is a normal lane. Stopped to get the wife a salad on the way home yesterday at 4:30 About 10 cars in the left lane, none in the App only lane. I go through in about 10 minutes, not to bad. By the time I was done the line in the normal lane was through the parking lot to the entrance messing up traffic, at least 20 cars deep. One car went through that App line in that time and when I left it was empty. Wonder how long they will stick with it hoping people start using the App, it's been that way for awhile now.
Get the App and you’ll never wait. Sounds like an easy win.

Wish the one I go to would add a lane for app orders since I always use the app.
I don't want to wait behind people who can't decide what they want and take forever to order.
I always use the app and get it for carryout. I pull into the parking lot, order and pay in a matter of seconds, and then go inside to pick it up. I usually never have to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes. I don’t even bother with the drive thru unless there are only 2 or 3 cars in line.

My guess...people in line started pulling up the app to place their order. We use the CFA app always when going there, even when dining in. They make it really easy.

Reactions: beanerhawk
I got the app only because they give away a box of nuggets every time the Lightning win at home. The setup at the one near me is that they have a handful of parking spots on one side that are reserved for app orders. It works well but last week they moved the damn reserved spots to a different location and did not mark it well.

There's a reason they give you discounts if you use the app. They get many things from you: your data, your loyalty, they can send push notifications, etc. Fvck that. Let me order online as a "guest" and keep my data to myself.
But you're not really keeping it to yourself. Google, Apple, whatever else is already on your phone has all your data, including when and how often you go to Chick-a-fil-a, and sell it to whoever wants it (To be fair, not many for your age bracket), including Chick-a-fil-a!

Ya, we're now dealing with something similar here. They closed ours for about 3 months to redesign the drive-thru and kill indoor dining. They went with two drive-thru and one app lines. However, the issues began when cars in the left lane would get stuck because the middle lane was still waiting for their food. Left laners were getting impatient and causing a ruckus.

Now they're merging the drive-thru lanes as they turn the corner so the middle can stay open for impatient drivers while the app lane hardly has anyone in it. It's still fast, but it really threw a wrench in the whole purpose for the redesign which was forced due to the restaurants corner location and how it was muck'n up traffic in that area.

Meanwhile, go to the empty Burger King line across the street and you'll wait just as long (or longer) for a stale bun and cold cheese. I honestly don't know how that place stays open.

Last edited:
I hate the proliferation of apps. There's no freaking way I would ever download a restaurant app. That's just idiotic. A website accessed through MS Edge on a Gateway 2000 PC with a 56K modem can do a couple things slowly an app can do, and I don't have to download a new screen icon to use it. The only apps I will ever consider downloading are those from the PhillipMorris Corporation if they offer cigarette coupons.
FIFY

Reactions: dgordo
The only app Trad needs:

120866345IVflSI_ph.jpeg

I believe the last time I went through, that lane was empty as well. But they always have like 10 people working outside with their little tablets and they were taking orders in the app lane.

I also do not understand why they have so many people working outside. Especially when it’s cold and rainy or extremely hot I. The summer. What’s the point of the intercom that has worked for years

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I hate the proliferation of apps. There's no freaking way I would ever download a restaurant app. That's just idiotic. A website can do everything an app can do, and I don't have to download a new screen icon to use it.
Your data is everywhere and being tracked. You might as well reap some benefits.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT