ADVERTISEMENT

How long will it be

minnhawkeye

HR All-American
Oct 20, 2006
Since this is off season was wondering how long it is going to be before some school wakes up and offers Casey Cunninham a head coaching job. Like around 300.000 a year surely he could not or would not refuse it. He is main reason that Cal can hit the road all time to recruit because he knows Casey can teach and train the less undeveloped and all the number 1,2,4,5 etc recurits can have fun they really don't need much coaching up.

CeqqdqiWIAAPWb8.jpg:large

Previous
Next

Casey Cunningham ‏@cwcunningham1 Mar 28
Very grateful for the first seven years and look forward to the next seven!

I know you are being a tad tongue-in-cheek, but Sanderson's base salary is $175,000.00. I am not sure a school would fork that kind of money out to his assistant.

Honestly, he may not want to be a Head Coach. Look at Terry. Some guys just aren't designed for the CEO job atmosphere. Put them in the room and let them worry about the guys in the room. That is where they are at their best. It also doesn't hurt that they are the head assistant coaches at the 2 most premiere wrestling programs in the country.

Well I know I put to much money in there but who knows.
Lion 8286...I'm sure Casey is proud and happy but we all know in this day and age money talks and don't think some school out there is going to in time offer Casey something he can't refuse because he is one heck of a coach and is young enough to get along with the kids of today.

It makes a lot of sense, but Casey might just be happy where he is. If he leaves, I hope it's after his sons graduate college. ;)

I agree maybe Casey doesn't want the responsibility of being a head coach. But if he did I think the play would be to offer he and Varner some good money to come rebuild ISU. They could be CO head coaches or not..whatever, and also bring Gallick back with them. I know Varner still has red and gold blood in him.

I think PSU's bread and butter is Casey working with the guys 149-174. Its been the strength of the lineup and where the real studs have been at. Even Ruth and Q were 174 to start. The Sandersons really haven't matched the bookends with what Casey has been doing.

Speaking of good middleweights coaches. What is Jared Frayer up to?

I agree maybe Casey doesn't want the responsibility of being a head coach. But if he did I think the play would be to offer he and Varner some good money to come rebuild ISU. They could be CO head coaches or not..whatever, and also bring Gallick back with them. I know Varner still has red and gold blood in him.

I think PSU's bread and butter is Casey working with the guys 149-174. Its been the strength of the lineup and where the real studs have been at. Even Ruth and Q were 174 to start. The Sandersons really haven't matched the bookends with what Casey has been doing.

Speaking of good middleweights coaches. What is Jared Frayer up to?

That's actually pretty logical for ISU. I think that may be their best option. People keep speculating that it will be Pariano but there is zero chance that happens. That would be a pretty lethal combo with Varner and Casey Cun. They could tap into a lot of that CA talent.

Over 17 years of coaching as an assistant. That doesn't mean he won't ever become a head coach. But, it definitely hints at the fact he doesn't mind being an Assistant Coach.

I know you are being a tad tongue-in-cheek, but Sanderson's base salary is $175,000.00. I am not sure a school would fork that kind of money out to his assistant.

Honestly, he may not want to be a Head Coach. Look at Terry. Some guys just aren't designed for the CEO job atmosphere. Put them in the room and let them worry about the guys in the room. That is where they are at their best. It also doesn't hurt that they are the head assistant coaches at the 2 most premiere wrestling programs in the country.
I think the Terry deal is different, he's been the head guy. He's had all the responsibility. The similarity would be that they are both probably better taken care of (financially as well as recognition by fans) than a lot of head guys are already.

Terry isn't designed for the CEO atmosphere?? You sure about that?

Reactions: DirkTang1
Over 17 years of coaching as an assistant. That doesn't mean he won't ever become a head coach. But, it definitely hints at the fact he doesn't mind being an Assistant Coach.
Agreed. Lots of very talented people prefer to work in the background. Maybe Terry feels the same way?

I think the Terry deal is different, he's been the head guy. He's had all the responsibility. The similarity would be that they are both probably better taken care of (financially as well as recognition by fans) than a lot of head guys are already.
I do believe money plays a role. I don't know what every coach makes, but maybe only 6-8 programs can match their current salary. Why take on more responsibility when you have kids growing up, etc.

Would you say Terry seems happier doing what he does now or when he was a head coach?

When you compare 2 people it is almost impossible for them to be exactly the same. I just pointed out 2 instances where the guys can get paid well, and do what they are the very best at doing. Developing and nurturing their wrestlers.

Please don't twist what I said into a negative. I think Terry and Casey have proven that they are about as good at their respective jobs as anyone could be.

Reactions: nitlion6
I believe Cody is generally accepted as the COO, and as such probably more ready to step in at the top of a program (again).

So the coaching does matter? I thought it was all about bringing in top recruits.

Well I know I put to much money in there but who knows.
Lion 8286...I'm sure Casey is proud and happy but we all know in this day and age money talks and don't think some school out there is going to in time offer Casey something he can't refuse because he is one heck of a coach and is young enough to get along with the kids of today.

I agree minnhawkeye, if I was an AD I would be drooling over getting Casey to my school. Question is, does he want to? If he does, he would get a head coaching job lickety split.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
See my post above. Thank you for proving my point.

I think Boss's tongue was firmly in his cheek. Back to the original point, I have to think it would have to be a real plum of a job to get Casey out of State College. He's the top assistant for the top program in the country and pretty happy being that, I would think. So what is the job that gets him to leave? That's something of a problem.

I agree minnhawkeye, if I was an AD I would be drooling over getting Casey to my school. Question is, does he want to? If he does, he would get a head coaching job lickety split.
Thank you Goldbanger. Like Hawk9s posted if I was the Ad at ISU I would surely talk with Casey and see if Varner would like to come and be his right hand man. But way it looks the AD at ISU doesn't give a rats ass about there wrestling program. Just something I really thought about cause of the great job Casey does. Like some have said maybe he doesn't want a head job. But u won't know unless u throw some good money at him and ask him.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Thank you Goldbanger. Like Hawk9s posted if I was the Ad at ISU I would surely talk with Casey and see if Varner would like to come and be his right hand man. But way it looks the AD at ISU doesn't give a rats ass about there wrestling program. Just something I really thought about cause of the great job Casey does. Like some have said maybe he doesn't want a head job. But u won't know unless u throw some good money at him and ask him.

I don't see the Iowa State job being the "plum job" to lure Casey from State College. Questionable institutional support, a strong "#2 in the state" taint, Cael left Ames to go to State College ...

What are you guys smoking? KJ just got 3 all Americans when they were supposed to get 1 by seeding and 2 were unseeded. That's a lifetime contract extension from pollard.

I don't see the Iowa State job being the "plum job" to lure Casey from State College. Questionable institutional support, a strong "#2 in the state" taint, Cael left Ames to go to State College ...

Cael didn't leave Ames because Iowa started dominating again after Tom Brands was hired because we all know Cael is the better coach and would have started winning titles any day now at ISU. Cael was wondering around in the cornfield east of Ames when God himself opened up the sky and told Cael that he was to go to Penn State to give wrestling back to the best fans on the planet.

Seriously, just look at the three DBags on this thread.

Hey Chuckles...that best fan shtick was sarcasm. Seems like you need shit splained to you tonight.

Cael didn't leave Ames because Iowa started dominating again after Tom Brands was hired because we all know Cael is the better coach and would have started winning titles any day now at ISU. Cael was wondering around in the cornfield east of Ames when God himself opened up the sky and told Cael that he was to go to Penn State to give wrestling back to the best fans on the planet.

Facetious post and name-calling. Nice. That's the best you can do?

Do you think the Iowa State job is one that would lure Casey?

Facetious post and name-calling. Nice. That's the best you can do?

Do you think the Iowa State job is one that would lure Casey?

Is Chief interjecting himself on yet ANOTHER Penn State thread on the soon to be renamed "Penn State Pre-Occupation Board"?

Oh my, Chief needs to find himself a hobby. He hasn't seen the sun in 2 weeks. Spending one's life on message boards 24/7 is not the way to go.

Psu fans responding to each other on the Hawkeye forumn....cool

Is Chief interjecting himself on yet ANOTHER Penn State thread on the soon to be renamed "Penn State Pre-Occupation Board"?

Oh my, Chief needs to find himself a hobby. He hasn't seen the sun in 2 weeks. Spending one's life on message boards 24/7 is not the way to go.

Omaha, to be fair the thread is about a Penn State assistant coach.

Chuckles, you have an odd fascination with Chief. He's not your type.

Since this is off season was wondering how long it is going to be before some school wakes up and offers Casey Cunninham a head coaching job. Like around 300.000 a year surely he could not or would not refuse it. He is main reason that Cal can hit the road all time to recruit because he knows Casey can teach and train the less undeveloped and all the number 1,2,4,5 etc recurits can have fun they really don't need much coaching up.
I agree with you that Casey would be a tremendous head coach and part of me has been surprised someone hasn't dangled an irresistible offer in front of him.

He does have 5 boys, he is very well compensated, State College is a great place to raise a family, the State College school district does a great job preparing kids to be academically successful after high school and he gets to teach wrestling to some of the best kids in the country at a place where wrestling is appreciated, important and very well supported.

Not saying he could not have most or even all of that elsewhere, but right now he recognizes what he has and apparently likes it.

I wanna see that picture of Chuckles again. If the Chief puts it up one more time I'm gonna print it out. I just can't get enough of his wit and wisdom. What a great guy to represent the fun boys.

Hey Chuckles...that best fan shtick was sarcasm. Seems like you need shit splained to you tonight.

You present such a shiny lure AZ.

I agree with you that Casey would be a tremendous head coach and part of me has been surprised someone hasn't dangled an irresistible offer in front of him.

He does have 5 boys, he is very well compensated, State College is a great place to raise a family, the State College school district does a great job preparing kids to be academically successful after high school and he gets to teach wrestling to some of the best kids in the country at a place where wrestling is appreciated, important and very well supported.

Not saying he could not have most or even all of that elsewhere, but right now he recognizes what he has and apparently likes it.

Good post and all true. But the thing is Casey in the 2nd assistant at PSU because Cody is the top. Im guessing money would be the factor. I'm guessing but Casey makes what, maybe 50k? Whereas a Terry Brands is well over 100k as the highest paid top assistant.

You bring Casey to ISU and pay him what KJ makes and bring along Varner for a good top assistant salary then you got something. ISU is still a good job but it will need a big name national recruiter type who can show up in elite kids homes and talk about the gold medal he won. Because just counting on Iowa kids in a hawkeye state is a losing blueprint. That's why Varner needs to be packaged with Casey so Casey can concentrate on just the room and Varner on the road after he retires from competing which is likely close.

the 3rd guy could be anyone. Reader, Paulson, Gallick or Franklin Gomez. Heck offer Nico the 3rd spot for the lightweight and he can train in the cyclone wrestling club just like escobido did.

Of course the problem is Pollard would rather spend money on building a new restroom in Jack Trice or something in the effort to ever make ISU football more relevant than ever have the wrestling team have the resources to be top 5 again. Its clear what Pollard wants his legacy to be.

Best thing for ISU wrestling is Pollard leaves for the Wisconsin AD job someday.

Last edited:
That would be a formidable staff with Cunningham, Varner, and Nico. I would prefer it at Pittsburgh to bring their program to life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT