ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you have been at all four Rose Bowl losses?

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
KC Chiefs home playoff losing streak made me wonder how many fans have been to all 6 of those games, and that led me to think about what the Hawk fan equivalent might be. I only witnessed two of the Rose Bowls in person, by the way

I was there in 82 and 86. Haven't had the heart to go back since. I'd love to make it to Pasadena one more time and see Iowa finally win a Rose Bowl game.

Unfortunately me..

Is it worse to have gone and lost or not to have gone? I’m sure the answer depends on the individual, but I will always fondly remember everything from my trip except for the game against Stanford. I shared drinks with a good many people that’s i hadn’t seen for years.

With that said, Ts and Ps to those who have braved all four loses.

Reactions: rfgiowa
1957 was a super trip as a student

1986 was a super trip with wife and three children

bucket list------one more Rose Bowl after three Outback Bowls (2 Florida one SC), one
Capital One Bowl (LSU)and the one against Carson Palmer in Miami

Sorry I missed the 1982 Rose Bowl. It seemed like the entire state went except for me. The governor (Robert Ray?) said something like, "Last one to leave the state turn out the lights." There have been a lot of good Iowa football seasons and teams since then, but the 1981 season and team will always be my favorite.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Better to have gone and lost than to not go. We had a blast Jan 1st of 2016. Once that game was out of reach, we had a great time with the other fans around us. Not just Iowa or Stanford fans. Met 4 different sets of folks that were fans of other teams and the RB was a yearly tradition.

Not old enough. Only went to the Stanford debacle. Regardless if Iowa ever makes it back, which is even more difficult now with the playoff system, I doubt I’d make the trip again. It was an experience for sure, but that loss left a bad taste in my mouth.

Saw the ‘82 Rose Bowl in person. Mom got me the ticket as a Christmas gift. She called out a favor to get me the ticket.

Seriously bra.. what’s your obsession with me ? Seriously do you troll all over the boards and try to call people out? Ok now why don’t you give everyone an example of my timeline and how old my kids are and everything else .. and don’t forget my brother who lost his life and you and your possy come chime in .. life must be absolutely boring for you that you take the time to troll as you have nothing better to do than to try to call out people or fans on the Iowa football board? Seriously you must be unemployed or something but get a f’ing hobby for Christ sakes

Ok that doesn't fit into your timeline at all......

1991 Washington fans total douche bags got boat raced but on side kicks were cool. 2016 nothing cool. Stanford band douche bags! Got beer cooler raided by the P.D. on parade route in 91 as well. Rose bowl has not been overly kind

Only one for me ('16). I felt pretty good about that game until I saw how bad MSU got smoked the night before. At that moment I changed my attitude about the game, and just wanted to take in the day/event. Had a blast and would go back anytime.

Southern, my apologies. When I read it and your response the time line started in 59. I didn't mean to "call you out" and I don't troll $hit. If you want people to move past the fact you blatantly lied you are going to have to get past it yourself. Having a decent memory and trolling are 2 totally different things. Again, I made the error and I'll take you foe your word on the loses but lighten up man.

On a happier note how many witnessed the following in person?
1981- MSU
1985- Minnesota
1990- don’t think there actually was a clinching win
2002- Minnesota
2004- Wisconsin
2015- Purdue (I think now we have to count clinching the Div)

I got 81, 85, 04, 15 (all home games). Metrodome would have been fun!

1981- MSU
1985- Minnesota
2002- Minnesota
2004- Wisconsin

I went to all 4. Great experiences, enjoyed the events, but very painful losses. I live in So Cal for the 2nd time and would go again. A Rose Bowl victory is on my bucket list. But, I will have lower expectations about winning...

I was there in 82 and 86. Haven't had the heart to go back since. I'd love to make it to Pasadena one more time and see Iowa finally win a Rose Bowl game.
Finally? I know Kenny Ploen and Randy Duncan may be too far back for you to remember but they should not be forgotten as Rose Bowl QB winners.

1981- MSU
1985- Minnesota
2002- Minnesota
2004- Wisconsin

I got 81, 85, 04, 15 (all home games). Metrodome would have been fun!
I was there for the 2004 Wisconsin game. It was my first game ever, and wow what an experience. As a middle school kid in Wisconsin who grew up a Hawk fan, this was a dream for me.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Unfortunately me..
Me too.

I want to say Iowa has been outscored 103-17 combined in the first half of those four games.

Me, too. Interesting and depressing 1H statistic. My memory of all were that we were out of it pretty quickly. When watching the last two RBs, all I could think was how great it would be to be in a tight, classic game. Even if we ended up losing at least to look competitive would have been nice.

But the experience was great and I always ran into people I hadn’t seen in a while at every turn so a lot of fun outside of the game.

Last edited:
Peace .. no more bickering.. consider this buried

Southern, my apologies. When I read it and your response the time line started in 59. I didn't mean to "call you out" and I don't troll $hit. If you want people to move past the fact you blatantly lied you are going to have to get past it yourself. Having a decent memory and trolling are 2 totally different things. Again, I made the error and I'll take you foe your word on the loses but lighten up man.

91 and 16. For 16 one of the friends I partook in beverages passed away on spring break at a far too young of age, go to the game, celebrate with friends, tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT