ADVERTISEMENT

How the Iowa gambling investigation ….

It's telling watching some of you skip right over the elected county attorneys and go to the AG.
In most states the DCI is essentially the investigative division of the Office of Attorney General. From what has been reported, the evidence in this case was developed by the DCI. Until reported otherwise, you have to assume that the AG was advised and updated on the status of the investigation as it developed. How does the case get to the county DA without the AG first signing off on the prosecution?

The county attorneys could have stopped every case from moving forward.
Probably should have, but this was pushed on them. Thats why very few prosecuted primarily went the plea deal route. The damage was already done. These players were suspended and already had a scarlet letter before charges were ever brought. Had they let them off, 1. You would have had people clamoring for unfair treatment of players 2. They would have let the cat out of the bag that this was started by illegal searches.

Until you can show me geofence is allowed without a warrant, DCI is screwed. This is fruit of the poisonous tree scenario. Nothing further should have occurred without the illegal geofence.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Where was the Iowa Attorney General in all of this? Supposedly she and the Governor were getting regular updates on this investigation.

FWIW, during a press briefing on October 25, 2023, Governor Kim Reynolds was asked about the DCI investigation.

I support whole-heartedly the department and the decisions that were made,” Reynolds responded, "They received some concerns, they looked into it like they do with other issues.”

Source: https://who13.com/news/father-of-fo...-sports-gambling-investigation-wants-answers/

Will be curious to follow and see what those "concerns" may have been and where this proceeds. What did people know and when did they know? What did they do about it?

FWIW, during a press briefing on October 25, 2023, Governor Kim Reynolds was asked about the DCI investigation.

I support whole-heartedly the department and the decisions that were made,” Reynolds responded, "They received some concerns, they looked into it like they do with other issues.”

Source: https://who13.com/news/father-of-fo...-sports-gambling-investigation-wants-answers/

Will be curious to follow and see what those "concerns" may have been and where this proceeds. What did people know and when did they know? What did they do about it?
Yes it will be very interesting to see what those concerns were. I still think the state will find it very difficult to state the geofence was a legal action without a warrant. The other question is why were the kids in the dorm ignored? Why was there action on just athletes? Although multiple people rights were likely violated. This isn't going away.

Reactions: dadster
In most states the DCI is essentially the investigative division of the Office of Attorney General. From what has been reported, the evidence in this case was developed by the DCI. Until reported otherwise, you have to assume that the AG was advised and updated on the status of the investigation as it developed. How does the case get to the county DA without the AG first signing off on the prosecution?

That's not how it works in Iowa.

Probably should have, but this was pushed on them. Thats why very few prosecuted primarily went the plea deal route. The damage was already done. These players were suspended and already had a scarlet letter before charges were ever brought. Had they let them off, 1. You would have had people clamoring for unfair treatment of players 2. They would have let the cat out of the bag that this was started by illegal searches.

Until you can show me geofence is allowed without a warrant, DCI is screwed. This is fruit of the poisonous tree scenario. Nothing further should have occurred without the illegal geofence.
This is what I found on geofence:

What does a geofence warrant do?

Geofence warrants require a provider—almost always Google—to search its entire reserve of user location data to identify all users or devices located within a geographic area during a time period specified by law enforcement.

In Iowa, the Division of Criminal Investigations ("DCI") is a division of the Iowa Department of Public Safety. The Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Public Safety is Stephan Bayens (appointed by Reynolds).

Department of Public Safety (DPS): https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/commissioners-office/commissioner-bayens
DCI's Special Enforcement Operations Bureau is charged with oversight and investigations of gaming activity. https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/crim...nt-operations/gambling-enforcement-activities
DCI is not a division of the Attorney General's office. The Attorney General is the head of the Iowa Department of Justice. https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/about-us/divisions

Thus, as much as I dislike Brenna Bird and feel as though she is an empty suit, it is incorrect to conclude that she oversees DPS or DCI. In fact, if it is determined that agents in the DCI or DPS went "rogue," acted without authority and committed crimes, Brenna Bird's office would be charged with the responsibility of prosecuting the crimes.

An organizational chart for anyone interested: http://publications.iowa.gov/19530/1/StateOrganizationalStructure.pdf

Last edited:
This is what I found on geofence:

What does a geofence warrant do?

Geofence warrants require a provider—almost always Google—to search its entire reserve of user location data to identify all users or devices located within a geographic area during a time period specified by law enforcement.
Yep, and look at what you need to use the geofence . . . dun dun dun . . . a warrant. The issue here is rather than asking the information from an entity like google, they got the information from the software Kibana that they were using. Does that change the formula at all, I don't think so.

In Iowa, the Division of Criminal Investigations ("DCI") is a division of the Iowa Department of Public Safety. The Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Public Safety is Stephan Bayens (appointed by Reynolds).

Department of Public Safety (DPS): https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/commissioners-office/commissioner-bayens
DCI's Special Enforcement Operations Bureau is charged with oversight and investigations of gaming activity. https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/crim...nt-operations/gambling-enforcement-activities
DCI is not a division of the Attorney General's office. The Attorney General is the head of the Iowa Department of Justice. https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/about-us/divisions

Thus, as much as I dislike Brenna Bird and feel as though she is an empty suit, it is incorrect to conclude that she oversees DPS or DCI. In fact, if it is determined that agents in the DCI or DPS went "rogue," acted without authority and committed crimes, Brenna Bird's office would be charged with the responsibility of prosecuting the crimes.

An organizational chart for anyone interested: http://publications.iowa.gov/19530/1/StateOrganizationalStructure.pdf
Kind of wondering out loud then, if a DCI agent has a legal question regarding an investigation or potential investigation, who do they ask? Does the DCI have their own internal lawyers to field questions, do they go to the AG, or some other person/entity?

That's why the rogue thing doesn't make much sense to me. Sanger has to be getting some kind of support or guidance along the way.

Isn't it possible the underlings who initiated it lied and only now are saying oh I don't recall why I started that.

I'd like to see all their phone records and text and e-mails.

Isn't it possible the underlings who initiated it lied and only now are saying oh I don't recall why I started that.

I'd like to see all their phone records and text and e-mails.
Really stupid for Ol' Kimbo to support this illegal investigation that hit both of the states two largest universities. Hard to recover from biting one hand that feeds you, let alone both.

• Sad
Reactions: HawkMD and Iron Doc
The county attorneys could have stopped every case from moving forward.
Well Northern, you still think these were valid searches? Now DCI agents not only stating that these were illegal searches, but telling students to be honest and there would be no charges against them as they were going after fanduel, and then later using that information to charge them.

Now not only is Brian Sanger clearly in the crosshairs for the illegal search. Now you have Troy Nelson giving false pretenses to agents to get confessions from students. Looks like we are up to a minimum of 2 that are going to get the axe and cost the state millions.

This is a case where a warrant was obtained to geofence an area and identify all devices within range in the investigation of a bank robbery. The federal appeals court ruled that the warrant was unconstitutional. So even when a warrant was obtained to investigate a crime as serious as bank robbery it was deemed by a federal appeals court to be unconstitutional. In other words the DCI has ****ed up big time here. Even if a warrant had been obtained, which it wasn't, a search like this had already been ruled unconstitutional and illegal. The people within DCI are obligated to know about this ruling and yet they proceeded regardless and then attempted to cover up their crime. People need to go to be held responsible for this entire debacle. Not to mention taking this illegally obtained information and turning it over to the NCAA. Absolutely disgusting

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Also, in all of this - there was always the question of "why not UNI?"

At UNI, Drake, and pretty much any other non-UIowa/ISU school there is no location you could easily geofence to limit to only athletes and athletics personnel. The UNI-Dome and McLeod are constantly used by the general university population and the community.

This is one case where having the resources to be able to create these fortified athletic training facilities ended up biting these two universities in the butt.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Also, in all of this - there was always the question of "why not UNI?"

At UNI, Drake, and pretty much any other non-UIowa/ISU school there is no location you could easily geofence to limit to only athletes and athletics personnel. The UNI-Dome and McLeod are constantly used by the general university population and the community.

This is one case where having the resources to be able to create these fortified athletic training facilities ended up biting these two universities in the butt.
But it didn't, they went after the dorms first. Its just an upper agent or two, decided that wasn't the direction they wanted to go in.

But it didn't, they went after the dorms first. Its just an upper agent or two, decided that wasn't the direction they wanted to go in.
And even his superiors put the stop to the dorm search as being too broad. The superiors did support the athletic-only facilities.

Still to this day there is a sign outside fort Ferentz that says "Athletic Dept. Staff Only." The same sign was outside of Carver for much of this same time period -- although it's now moved to the athletics office suite indoors. They showed up during the pandemic and never went away.

I'm not saying any Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to show up and put their boots on a coach's desk. Obviously can't have that. Things just seem a little extra tight right now, and I think carving out these spaces that are so cut off from the rest of the university is a double-edged sword. That's probably a totally different topic, but here is an unintended consequence.

This is a case where a warrant was obtained to geofence an area and identify all devices within range in the investigation of a bank robbery. The federal appeals court ruled that the warrant was unconstitutional. So even when a warrant was obtained to investigate a crime as serious as bank robbery it was deemed by a federal appeals court to be unconstitutional. In other words the DCI has ****ed up big time here. Even if a warrant had been obtained, which it wasn't, a search like this had already been ruled unconstitutional and illegal. The people within DCI are obligated to know about this ruling and yet they proceeded regardless and then attempted to cover up their crime. People need to go to be held responsible for this entire debacle. Not to mention taking this illegally obtained information and turning it over to the NCAA. Absolutely disgusting

FWIW, I am right there with you in terms of being disgusted that the DCI appears to have illegally surveilled the athletes, etc. I think this stinks to high heaven and I want to see consequences here, not a sweep under the rug, etc.

But a minor point of clarification regarding who told the NCAA...I understand that it was the UI themselves, not the DCI, that self reported to the NCAA. It still stinks, but from what I have gathered, the DCI did not do that, FWIW.

While it sucks that the investigation was in all likelihood illegal and unconstitutional, many people seem to believe the state and investigators are at fault from what I've read on this board. Unfortunately, that's not true. The fault lies with those who knowing broke the rules. We know this because many of them were not using their own accounts but those of family members. By the way. What parent encourages their kid to gamble and then provides with an account to do so because they are underage or trying to hide it. The athletes and the parents are at fault. They were the ones gambling or enabling it.
If the investigation was legal, is a separate issue.
So, the DCI decides to tap your cell phone. Not because you have committed any crimes but because they think you may have. They don't get a warrant. You ok with that.? I hope not because it is illegal on their part.

And even his superiors put the stop to the dorm search as being too broad. The superiors did support the athletic-only facilities.

Still to this day there is a sign outside fort Ferentz that says "Athletic Dept. Staff Only." The same sign was outside of Carver for much of this same time period -- although it's now moved to the athletics office suite indoors. They showed up during the pandemic and never went away.

I'm not saying any Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to show up and put their boots on a coach's desk. Obviously can't have that. Things just seem a little extra tight right now, and I think carving out these spaces that are so cut off from the rest of the university is a double-edged sword. That's probably a totally different topic, but here is an unintended consequence.
$20 Bucks says it was the dorm where the athletes stay at. However someone had a little semblance of the consequences and didn't use that data. However they had already did an illegal search of all students. Then they did a secondary illegal search on the sports building. I have a pretty good hunch no is going to be using the geo location data any time soon at a university again.

FWIW, I am right there with you in terms of being disgusted that the DCI appears to have illegally surveilled the athletes, etc. I think this stinks to high heaven and I want to see consequences here, not a sweep under the rug, etc.

But a minor point of clarification regarding who told the NCAA...I understand that it was the UI themselves, not the DCI, that self reported to the NCAA. It still stinks, but from what I have gathered, the DCI did not do that, FWIW.
If Iowa and Iowa State did NOT self-report, they would have opened themselves up to much more severe sanctions from the NCAA. You dont wanna give them an opportunity to come snooping around.

Just look at the damages though. Loss of eligibility, charges and plea agreements, playoffs for the baseball players, 1 baseball player who went to the draft and was undrafted would have been a top 5 rounder otherwise. Sullied their name and reputation and you know the standard emotional and mental distress and anxiety. Legal fees and others included. With the most likely outcome being this was an illegal search, the damages will vary, and we still haven't included all other students who were illegally monitored but names never came up in the investigation. That means every single athlete. That means all students in the dorm, and if it is where I think it is, everyone who ate at that dorm or visited the dorm. This is pretty far reaching once you think about it.

Is there any possibility governor Reynolds is more involved than we know up to this point. She very clearly has a disdain for universities, and any way that would make them look bad she would love to do. She clearly stated she was informed of the investigation and fully supported it. How far up the chain does this go and when was she notified or did conversations occur.

Is there any possibility governor Reynolds is more involved than we know up to this point. She very clearly has a disdain for universities, and any way that would make them look bad she would love to do. She clearly stated she was informed of the investigation and fully supported it. How far up the chain does this go and when was she notified or did conversations occur.
Only if Chet Culver would have been Governor. ;)

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I never once stated that they were valid searches.

I've simply stated that it's for the courts to decide.
Eh . . . You have DCI agents saying it was an illegal search with false pretenses to get confessions. I think we have enough here that we can make a pretty strong assumption DCI and the state is cooked. Now it comes down to the fallout, how much is there, or is it isolated to a couple DCI agents.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Oh boy. You got her. I'll bet she was standing outside the athletic facilities running the geofence herself!

Reactions: bunsen82

Athletic only facilities at Iowa and ISU certainly make it easier to target those student-athletes, but doing the same investigation at UNI, Drake, or other colleges wouldn’t be that difficult either.

From what I’ve read, the sportsbook apps use GeoComply software to verify user location, and they provide access to that software to the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission and probably other state gambling commissions as well. I believe the DCI piggybacked on this access and it’s what they used for their investigation.

If the DCI can use this software to pull a bunch of historical data on sportsbook activity, they can narrow it down to whatever they want. First find out when and where the UNI football team practices, then filter the activity data to that specific time and place. Rinse and repeat for the next college or team you want to look into. It’s a bit more work, but it’s not that hard or complicated.

Oh boy. You got her. I'll bet she was standing outside the athletic facilities running the geofence herself!
Who knows, there was obviously conversations. However she isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer and education and secondary education are far down her list of what she cares about. If an email or two came out that she thought this should be investigated or encouraged the investigation . . . lets just say things could get interesting. I can't remember who posted, but I do think someone within government or within DCI wanted to do this. Was it just a rogue agent? Based off the other DCI investigator, sounds like it goes farther up the chain. So where does it stop at?

Kind of wondering out loud then, if a DCI agent has a legal question regarding an investigation or potential investigation, who do they ask? Does the DCI have their own internal lawyers to field questions, do they go to the AG, or some other person/entity?

That's why the rogue thing doesn't make much sense to me. Sanger has to be getting some kind of support or guidance along the way.

They go to the county attorney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT