ADVERTISEMENT

How the Iowa gambling investigation ….

IIowaFarmBoy said:
Let me correct = while we are arguing Republican this and Democrat that, the Democrats and Republicans are stealing us blind. Unit most of us realize that, nothing will change.

Both can be true
Yes, but that is not relevant to this subject because Republicans are in nearly complete control of Iowa government and law enforcement.

Hell, Terrace Hill wants to pass laws so that the State Auditor can't perform audits of State dealings.

The Democrats are not part of the current conversation.

Yes, but that is not relevant to this subject because Republicans are in nearly complete control of Iowa government and law enforcement.

Hell, Terrace Hill wants to pass laws so that the State Auditor can't perform audits of State dealings.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good "both sides"-ism!

Reactions: MitchLL
And your post has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion here.

We're talking about Republicans in Des Moines who have, for years, sought to make Iowa's public universities fight and scrape for every penny to function.
This gambling "investigation" was initiated to embarrass Iowa/ISU.

It now appears the AG's office is the entity that had been embarrassed and Iowa's taxpayers will be paying for it.
It was a basic comment that said Republican = bad. Get over it.

KACHING!
Iowa tax payers are going to be writing a lot of checks coming out of this one!
The DCI way over-stepped and Brenna Bird showed her inexperience and La k if knowledge un running the state’s legal affairs. And Ms. Reynolds wears ( more) egg on her face for shooting her mouth off before knowing all the facts! Imagine if this would have happened if Culver was Governor?
It didn’t however….but shit like this seems to be the norm with the Reynolds’ administration,
I can't find anything in Ms. Bird's background that would suggest she has a grasp on the US Constitution, but she has been politically successful thus far.

She'd better pull her big girl undies up, because this can get real nasty, real quick.
Now Johnson and Story County Attorneys feel that they got taken for a ride

Excerpt from a Tuesday article regarding the 4 ISU athletes filing of a motion to suppress. The DCI violated its limited use agreement with the geofencing tech provider, and the athletes were not read their miranda rights before their "interviews"....

Four former or suspended Iowa State athletes contend in a court filing Tuesday that evidence in a state sports wagering investigation was gathered illegally and all charges against them should be dismissed.

Attorneys for former football players Isaiah Lee, Jirehl Brock and Enyi Uwazurike and suspended wrestler Paniro Johnson filed the motion to suppress in Story County.

The four are among about two dozen Iowa State and Iowa athletes criminally charged last year. They each face a felony charge of identity theft and an aggravated misdemeanor charge of tampering with records.

Most of the athletes who were charged pleaded guilty to underage gambling, paid fines and had identity theft charges dropped.

The identity theft charges stemmed from athletes registering accounts on mobile sports betting apps under different names, usually a relative.

Defense attorneys reiterated their contention that there was no probable cause for the searches into online wagering activities that resulted in criminal charges and lost NCAA eligibility.

In the motion to suppress, the defense alleges a special agent for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation violated the agency's limited-use agreement with a geofencing tracking firm when he used its software to locate places inside ISU athletic facilities where athletes were making wagers on mobile betting platforms. The agent later obtained account information from the platforms to identify the athletes and third parties whose credit cards were used.

The motion contends use of the tracking software was unconstitutional because no warrant had been issued, and it noted that the software firm, GeoComply, cut off DCI's access to the tool last month because the user agreement was violated.

The DCI special agent, Brian Sanger, said in a deposition that he opened the investigation because of his concerns about potential match fixing, though he had no tip or specific information that such activity was taking place among ISU athletes.

Defense attorneys have said in court filings that the athletes were told by investigators that the online wagering companies were under investigation, not them. In the motion to suppress, the athletes said they were not read their Miranda rights, which can protect a suspect from self-incrimination, so any admissions or statements should be thrown out.

The state of Iowa is infinitely better run than your dense dems nationwide. Your political jibberish is as tragically laughable as Biden and the rest of the twisted cabal. Did I mention nobody outside the extremist echo chamber gives a shit about hyperbolic absurdities? Watch some episodes of ‘The View’ tonight to soothe your troubles😂👍😂!!
Reynolds is like most Republicans, she can’t or refuses, to tell the “whole truth”...she is in this mess up to her cute little 60 year old ass because of what she said...and did not say regarding the DCI’s investigation here...Bird has shown herself to be overmatched by the office of AG and its responsibilities...their actions...or lack of them, will cost Iowa taxpayers a lot of atty fees and judgement awards...money needlessly pissed away by Republicans over the past 10 years from law suits filed against the state because of its missteps. Take off your blinders Abort...smell the coffee...Reynold’s is “successful” because she has an overwhelming legislative mandate...and she is a step ahead of most of the rest of her party.

Props to ALL the individuals around Ames that had something to do with investigating this issue and pushing for this action.

Whether it was fans, boosters, family members or whomever...well done.

The dishonest politicians and overzealous law enforcement need to be signaled out and scrutinized for this waste of time and $$$.

Props to ALL the individuals around Ames that had something to do with investigating this issue and pushing for this action.

Whether it was fans, boosters, family members or whomever...well done.

The dishonest politicians and overzealous law enforcement need to be signaled out and scrutinized for this waste of time and $$$.

The second those Iowa St kids didn’t take the plea deal, the state was ****ed. The rest were bullied into signing just wanting it behind them, the Iowa St guys said **** you this isn’t right

Reactions: MitchLL
The second those Iowa St kids didn’t take the plea deal, the state was ****ed. The rest were bullied into signing just wanting it behind them, the Iowa St guys said **** you this isn’t right
The athletes were wrong and caught “dead to rights”...but the state was more wrong by violating these kids constitutional rights. The state bears the greater burden of being wrong here, quite clearly...now it’s just a matter of “how many zeros” on the checks we taxpayers are going to be writing.

Even though it's gonna cost me something as an Iowa taxpayer, directly or indirectly, I hope they get as much as possible.

And I hope that some of the agents involved say "screw it" and publicly name the politicians that sanctioned this.

Even though it's gonna cost me something as an Iowa taxpayer, directly or indirectly, I hope they get as much as possible.

And I hope that some of the agents involved say "screw it" and publicly name the politicians that sanctioned this.
Sadly, I don’t think a politician “sanctioned” this...I think it was some agent’s idea that he was in a position to maneuver an investigation. It was a bad idea on whoever’s part. There are procedures that are in place to start investigations that if followed, would absolve the governor and AG from the controversy.....now that politicians are involved, we all know the train wreck will soon follow and Iowa taxpayers will be footing the bill(s).

Sadly, I don’t think a politician “sanctioned” this...I think it was some agent’s idea that he was in a position to maneuver an investigation. It was a bad idea on whoever’s part. There are procedures that are in place to start investigations that if followed, would absolve the governor and AG from the controversy.....now that politicians are involved, we all know the train wreck will soon follow and Iowa taxpayers will be footing the bill(s).
The AG knows everything and always has. Not so much the gov but there is zero doubt that the AG knew about this but let it go. She didn’t get involved or order it, but she did not stop it. I don’t think this was a political hit job but more having a AG who is bad at her job. Her qualifications were always suspect.

The AG knows everything and always has. Not so much the gov but there is zero doubt that the AG knew about this but let it go. She didn’t get involved or order it, but she did it stop it. I don’t think this was a political hit job but more having a AG who is bad at her job.
I just don’t think this thing would have grown to where it did if Tom Miller was AG. He understands the job and it’s resonsibilities much better than the current AG. His longevity/experience in office, he also knew who had to be watched more closely than others...where the potential trouble spots were.

I just don’t think this thing would have grown to where it did if Tom Miller was AG. He understands the job and it’s resonsibilities much better than the current AG. His longevity/experience in office, he also knew who had to be watched more closely than others...where the potential trouble spots were.
I would hope he would have stopped it. Any ethical AG would. This thing ruined a lot of careers and now there is a lawsuit coming. It’s bad on the AG and the state.

Reactions: MitchLL and joelbc1
Thats what I said, jeeves. They overstepped.

But all could've been avoided if Noah followed the rules. I guess he'll be fine after we all pitch in for his and Dekkers state settlement.
People like you need to **** all the way off. The state has all the power and they broke the rules. They didn't overstep, they broke the law and violated every single athlete and students civil rights on those campuses. The people that did this need to go to jail and the state needs to be held liable for real and punitive damages for every single student that was illegally spied on.

This is bullshit gestapo stuff.

Noah broke the rules? **** you

Outside of betting on games they might have played in...no one should have received more than a 2/3 game suspension, imo.

And there's simply no way in hell the Iowa AG couldn't have known about the ENTIRE process...step by step.

Let me correct = while we are arguing Republican this and Democrat that, the Democrats and Republicans are stealing us blind. Unit most of us realize that, nothing will change.
Yes, both dems and repubs are pretty avg to poor running govt. But Dems have been much better than repubs for the people since the great depression. Just look at the records and bills etc past.

But big money runs the whole thing and a really principled politican who wants to really better the country for the vast majority of citizens will not be backed by the really big money like Koch Bros, etc. So the cycle of Steve Kings continues. Steve King, I looked up his record and I dont see one bill he sponsored that was approved in 14 terms of his conservative racism in NW Iowa.

Reactions: Iron Doc
People like you need to **** all the way off. The state has all the power and they broke the rules. They didn't overstep, they broke the law and violated every single athlete and students civil rights on those campuses. The people that did this need to go to jail and the state needs to be held liable for real and punitive damages for every single student that was illegally spied on.

The only rule that Noah broke was an NCAA rule to not bet on one of your college teams including of course your own.

If you havent read what most of the bills in this year's repub IA statehouse then you would literally be horrified. Laws that put it in the hands of companies to not come up with a list of union members which can then completely dissolve the union, un-american power grab. The AEA issue blew up in Gov DimWits face. etc etc etc , and lately the bills to require a certain History curriculum developed by a Florida ultra conservative group and the bill states it is so students will learn "devotion" to our country", and lousy rules and bills on helping Iowa citizens for the last 40 years. If we have to have Repub Govs cant we find someone like Ray who was halfway moderate. Dimmy only worries about money cuts to the rich.

Love your country, not all it does, because it is the best country but you dont have to have total devotion to it. My take.

Oh alright. Just giving my opinion on the matter but if that's the route you wanna go, f*ck you too then.

Comparing this to Gestapo stuff too tells me you're a prime dumbsh*t. Enjoy your weekend.

Yes, both dems and repubs are pretty avg to poor running govt. But Dems have been much better than repubs for the people since the great depression. Just look at the records and bills etc past.

But big money runs the whole thing and a really principled politican who wants to really better the country for the vast majority of citizens will not be backed by the really big money like Koch Bros, etc. So the cycle of Steve Kings continues. Steve King, I looked up his record and I dont see one bill he sponsored that was approved in 14 terms of his conservative racism in NW Iowa.
Can't argue a lot with that. I do think Carter is way underrated. Reagan brought us giving Pharma's a free pass legally. But what has been going on is equal opportunity.

15 years ago I didn't see how it would be possible to have a Germany thing happen here, but BOTH MAGA
and ardent Dems are mostly incorrigible and can't have any discussion. I can begin to see what reasonable people kept silent in Germany. I don't know where reasonable Republicans can turn or for that matter reasonable Dems.

You have been a reasonable Dem and I'm not sure that works going forward. I've been Republican but MAGA and the Christian Right Nationalists don't have any ability to discuss and negotiate. Because I'm not pounding war in Ukraine as I have many really good friends there in harms way and I know the country very well, I don't think escalating the conflict will work and could lead to a broader conflict. Pounding pro war dems have no real understanding of the region or for that matter even know a Ukrainian.

IIowaFarmBoy said:

Both can be true

Bingo. There are plenty of clowns and crooks on both sides of the aisle. Worse yet, now we have complete idiots like AOC as well.

While there's no one quick solution, term limits would be a good start. We have it for President, why not congress? As long as we have life-term senators who can enrich themselves by selling their influence nothing is going to change.

Harry Truman said it well.

“Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.”​

Last edited:
Oh alright. Just giving my opinion on the matter but if that's the route you wanna go, f*ck you too then.

Comparing this to Gestapo stuff too tells me you're a prime dumbsh*t. Enjoy your weekend.
**** off you smug prick. Noah broke the rules while DCI and a number of prosecutors around the state violated students at Iowa and Iowa state civil rights. They didn't just do that to athletes by the way but anyone that wandered into their illegal geofence. But go off about a kid in his early 20s making a 5 dollar bet on a women's basketball game.

Hey asshole....the people in charge with the ability to imprison, fine, and ruin lives broke the damned law. They did so deliberately and then overcharged and intimidated young people to accept plea deals to cover up their crimes. Including that disgusting clause that these young people can't sue them further underlining that the DCI and prosecutors knew they broke the law

So I stand exactly by what I said to you and you bullshit opinions. **** off

The penalty should match the violation. A single betting on the womens team should not constitute a years banishment. 2. He is going to get a hell of a payday from State of Iowa.
Please get a brain, or enough of one, to be able to separate relevant facts. Noah gambled. While not violation of the law, the U of I athletic department was required, per NCAA rules, to report FACTS. Noah cooperated. The penalty and violation, though, are separate from anything the State of Iowa did.

Hell, she’ll use it as a badge of honor…..and all the brain-dead Repubers in the state will support her every step of the way.
Too many Iowans are so goddamned stupid, it is sickening.
The offense is run by a Democrat, you f-ing moron. Do what Scrooge urged years ago, save us all the "expense"...

Please get a brain, or enough of one, to be able to separate relevant facts. Noah gambled. While not violation of the law, the U of I athletic department was required, per NCAA rules, to report FACTS. Noah cooperated. The penalty and violation, though, are separate from anything the State of Iowa did.
State of Iowa ****ed up. Realize what they did and admit it.

Except the “information” was gathered illegally and that violates the players rights. The state is bound to defend the rights of its citizens, not viola=te them. KACHING!!

If you havent read what most of the bills in this year's repub IA statehouse then you would literally be horrified. Laws that put it in the hands of companies to not come up with a list of union members which can then completely dissolve the union, un-american power grab. The AEA issue blew up in Gov DimWits face. etc etc etc , and lately the bills to require a certain History curriculum developed by a Florida ultra conservative group and the bill states it is so students will learn "devotion" to our country", and lousy rules and bills on helping Iowa citizens for the last 40 years. If we have to have Repub Govs cant we find someone like Ray who was halfway moderate. Dimmy only worries about money cuts to the rich.

Love your country, not all it does, because it is the best country but you dont have to have total devotion to it. My take.
Fascism is strong in Iowa.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk

And this legislature and this Governor do this with a straight face claiming “freedom”....and Iowans, sitting in this cauldron of slowly warming water over the open flame, look at each other and ask, “Hmmmmm, I wonder what’s for dinner?”

• Sad
I don't think the elected officials knew much if anything about what was going on at the beginning. Probably doing a cover your a.. part way thru, tho.
I think the problem in state government on up to USA is we are being run by government employees that can make and enforce 'rules', not laws. But of course, the elected officials just let it happen because guess who raises money for elections?
And the above applies to both parties. How can one person make an executive 'rule' that becomes a law almost? How can a high level employee of the government make rules that are enforced? Remember the land owner (farmer/rancher?) somewhere that got fined(?) or something bad because the gov. changed some water stuff (dam?) and a drainage ditch all of a sudden became a violation. Wish I could remember the details better....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT