ADVERTISEMENT

How times have changed

HungryHawk

HR All-American
Sep 10, 2017
Was re-watching highlights from the '09 Michigan State game and came across this hit I forgot about. At the 4:22 mark Sandeman gets literally knocked out from a high hit. They end up calling it, but only after review. The announcers are arguing that it's a good hit, but just had his head down. I have to think there would be zero question that would be targeting if it happened in a game today.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Was re-watching highlights from the '09 Michigan State game and came across this hit I forgot about. At the 4:22 mark Sandeman gets literally knocked out from a high hit. They end up calling it, but only after review. The announcers are arguing that it's a good hit, but just had his head down. I have to think there would be zero question that would be targeting if it happened in a game today.

Actually, the call was for taunting

I literally had a heart attack that night. Didn't go to the hospital till the next day but it happened during that game.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6
I literally had a heart attack that night. Didn't go to the hospital till the next day but it happened during that game.
How old are you Doobi? There wasn’t anything that happened during that game that should warrant a heart attack.

Jk, just glad you’re here to talk about it.

I'm 41 but I was a heavy drug addict, heavy drinker and heavy smoker for a lot of years leading up to then.

And stanza doesn’t get hurt, I’d say we would have probably been in the NC game. Not sure we could have won it all. Georgia tech was a paper tiger with a gimmicky offense.

IMO even with Stanzi going down the run game would have been dominant enough to overcome Stanzi the Maniz being out a couple of games.
Pound, pound pa pass

I was painting a room in my house and remember that game clearly. Sandeman laying on the field nearly unconscious and Dantanio bitching about the bad call.. Never liked him since.

Sandeman was completely unconscious, even twitching after the hit. It was a complete goon hit consistent with what we have seen during Dantonio's tenure. Thug U.

Sandeman was completely unconscious, even twitching after the hit. It was a complete goon hit consistent with what we have seen during Dantonio's tenure. Thug U.
Sorry this makes Iowa fanbase look like crying bitches.It was 10 years ago, move on. Also anyone remember Tim Dwight on punt coverage, or Bob Sanders?

Sorry this makes Iowa fanbase look like crying bitches.It was 10 years ago, move on. Also anyone remember Tim Dwight on punt coverage, or Bob Sanders?

Yeah I went back and watched some vids of Sanders on punt coverage. The famous hit you are referring to would probably be a penalty today but Sanders at least managed to wrap a leg in the act of tackling-he didn't launch at the head of the returner. When guys jare running full speed at each other, helmets are going to hit sometimes. The Sandeman hit was not in the same category. The MSU player launched and made no attempt to make a tackle. Football is a physical, even violent game. I am good with that. Intentionally trying to injure players is not OK. I agreed with Jewell getting booted from his first game two years ago. It was a dumb play he never repeated. I would call for any Iowa player to be ejected if they hit someone like the Sandeman play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT