ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Nebraska

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
The Hawks moved to 10-2 with a last second win against the worst program in the Power 5. It's been quite a season of ups, downs, and extremely close games. So let's get to it:

1. Hurkett's Huge Game. How about unheralded Ethan Hurkett stepping up huge. Not only did he set career bests with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks, but he had the game winning interception at a time when it looked like Nebraska was going to sting the Hawks with a last second field goal. The guy should be one of the bright spots next year on a fully rebuilt defense.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? While it was a no brainer for Kirk to bench Iowa's star kicker because he struggled in one game (and is still one of the Big 10's best), it still "never occurred" to Kirk or Brian to bench the Big 10's worst performing QB at any point in any game? How? The emergence of Brown from the bottom of the WR depth chart due to an injury and the backup kicker's ability to step in and hit a clutch kick answered the question "what's the upside" in playing a backup. Yet somehow Hill continues to take every snap from Labas & Lainez no matter how poorly he performs. He was an embarrassing 11 for 28 for 94 yards, 0 touchdowns while averaging just 3 yrds per attempt. He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped. Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the position.

3. Love Watching Castro. Let's not take for granted all those smooth sliding tackles where Castro swoops in and takes out a guy's legs in the blink of an eye. He had 2 more key tackles for loss this week. It would be fantastic if he comes back next year and becomes the star of the defense, but if not, he's clearly got a huge NFL career ahead of him like so many who came before him.

4. Weakest Schedule in Iowa History? Years from now, fans will only remember 2023 for the 10 win season. But as we assess the year, it's hard to overlook that none of Iowa's 10 wins were against anyone with a pulse. Believe it or not, 6-5 Northwestern was Iowa's "best" Big 10 win. The Hawks also beat 6-5 Wisconsin in their worst season in a decade. That's it. It's unheard of for a Big 10 team to play just one Top 25 opponent in 12 games, but that's how the schedule worked out. If Iowa gets blown out in the Big 10 championship game, it'll be hard to remember this team as anything but beneficiaries of the softest schedule they may ever have.

5. Williams is Growing On Me. Williams always struck me as a career depth player. Solid, but not enough sizzle or speed to be a featured back. With that said, the guy runs harder than more talented backs. He has slowly become Iowa's most reliable back. He finished the day with 16 carries for 111 yards for a whopping 7 yards per carry...while Johnson averaged just 3 yards per carry. It'll be interesting to see which RBs stick around next year with 3 guys vying for the starter role.

6. Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues. How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches? Why is it still so scary to throw the ball down the field to one of your 8 scholarship wide receivers? Brian has nothing to lose, yet he continues to go out there and coach like it's 1912 and points are impossible to get. Rather than sulk and throw out all his Iowa gear while still getting paid $900,000 + bonus this year, it would be nice to see Brian at least try to be innovative and accomplish some big plays.

The Hawks moved to 10-2 with a last second win against the worst program in the Power 5. It's been quite a season of ups, downs, and extremely close games. So let's get to it:

1. Hurkett's Huge Game. How about unheralded Ethan Hurkett stepping up huge. Not only did he set career bests with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks, but he had the game winning interception at a time when it looked like Nebraska was going to sting the Hawks with a last second field goal. The guy should be one of the bright spots next year on a fully rebuilt defense.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? While it was a no brainer for Kirk to bench Iowa's star kicker because he struggled in one game (and is still one of the Big 10's best), it still "never occurred" to Kirk or Brian to bench the Big 10's worst performing QB at any point in any game? How? The emergence of Brown from the bottom of the WR depth chart due to an injury and the backup kicker's ability to step in and hit a clutch kick answered the question "what's the upside" in playing a backup. Yet somehow Hill continues to take every snap from Labas & Lainez no matter how poorly he performs. He was an embarrassing 11 for 28 for 94 yards, 0 touchdowns while averaging just 3 yrds per attempt. He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped. Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the position.

3. Love Watching Castro. Let's not take for granted all those smooth sliding tackles where Castro swoops in and takes out a guy's legs in the blink of an eye. He had 2 more key tackles for loss this week. It would be fantastic if he comes back next year and becomes the star of the defense, but if not, he's clearly got a huge NFL career ahead of him like so many who came before him.

4. Weakest Schedule in Iowa History? Years from now, fans will only remember 2023 for the 10 win season. But as we assess the year, it's hard to overlook that none of Iowa's 10 wins were against anyone with a pulse. Believe it or not, 6-5 Northwestern was Iowa's "best" Big 10 win. The Hawks also beat 6-5 Wisconsin in their worst season in a decade. That's it. It's unheard of for a Big 10 team to play just one Top 25 opponent in 12 games, but that's how the schedule worked out. If Iowa gets blown out in the Big 10 championship game, it'll be hard to remember this team as anything but beneficiaries of the softest schedule they may ever have.

5. Williams is Growing On Me. Williams always struck me as a career depth player. Solid, but not enough sizzle or speed to be a featured back. With that said, the guy runs harder than more talented backs. He has slowly become Iowa's most reliable back. He finished the day with 16 carries for 111 yards for a whopping 7 yards per carry...while Johnson averaged just 3 yards per carry. It'll be interesting to see which RBs stick around next year with 3 guys vying for the starter role.

6. Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues. How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches? Why is it still so scary to throw the ball down the field to one of your 8 scholarship wide receivers? Brian has nothing to lose, yet he continues to go out there and coach like it's 1912 and points are impossible to get. Rather than sulk and throw out all his Iowa gear while still getting paid $900,000 + bonus this year, it would be nice to see Brian at least try to be innovative and accomplish some big plays.
"How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches?"
I agree with the above statement but think you answered your own question
"He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped."

I don't care how soft the schedule is - although depending on how today's games break we could have as many as I believe 8 opponents be bowl-eligible so I'd argue against it being the softest ever; we won 10 games with a terrible offense. It was never pretty all year long, but kudos to Kirk and co for just grinding away and finding ways to win.
I'd like to see Johnson and Williams split the carries 50/50. They're the 2 best backs on the team and both are capable of big plays. No reason to dilute their carries by including anyone else in the rotation.
While I ultimately expect Patterson to transfer - I do like him in stretches as well; each of the 3 RBs brings something different imo.

Not sure if elements bothered him, regression to the mean after playing better the last 3 weeks or what, but yeah, today was not Deacon's best game.

OP just makes me laugh sometimes - we have an elite defense and an awful offense; so naturally he wants Iowa to go away from their strength and force the offense to do things it's just not good at.

Star kicker? Ok
I mean, he's been inconsistent the last few weeks - didn't one of the Iowa reporters say Meeder had been warming up last week as well?, 3 kicks i believe blocked this year - 2 yesterday plus 2 kicks out of bounds. While incredible in the moment, it shouldn't have been too surprising that they made the switch for yesterday at least.

I also continue to marvel at posters who now think making a change at quarterback is as simple as any other position.

Almost hate to ask, what was his best game?
Well, he'd completed 65% of his passes the last 3 games prior to Nebby, had been looking much more comfortable with his passes - vs Rutgers (which had a pretty good defense). Obviously not gaudy numbers but he'd at least started to look competent and seemed to give Iowa a chance passing the ball.

Not defending yesterday - after the 1st quarter, he simply was poor most of the day. Watched from home so no idea if he struggled with the wind, regressed to his first 3 games or what. Clearly he needs to flush yesterday's game and be better next week for Iowa to at least have a chance.

"Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues"

I'm baffled by our play calling on the next to last possession of the game. We'd managed, what 50 yards of total offense the second half yet we think we're going to do something from our own. 30 with less than a minute to go? The upside was incredibly low probability, but the downside was losing the game. e.g. a fumble deep in Nebraska territory. That nearly happened when Deacon was sacked on second down, nearly a strip sack. Of course he threw a pick and we got the correct and favorable holding call to push them back a bit. If we don't get that interception, they've got a receiver wide open at the 35. That likely makes that catch...

We all know Kirk's conservative tendencies and frankly he's generally not wrong, but when they go away from it at bizarre times... It's just puzzling to me.

Honestly could care less if the wins came against a weak schedule because we could be a 6 or 7 win team against this schedule. As far as throwing on 3rd and long, I get why we run it. It’s hard to trust Hill in a pocket more than 2-3 seconds and he’s a liability to turn it over. We should be able to throw in those situations but with Hill, our lack of playmakers with Brown out and our pass blocking, a 3 and out sure sounds good.

Literally our best chance at scoring is letting Leshon or Kaleb Johnson break one. We should have given them the ball every single play in the fourth quarter. There is a very little upside to throwing the football for iowa and a lot of downside, as seen by our last pass yesterday. Luckily, Nebraska decided to Nebraska and got a holding penalty on that negated the return on that interception.

1. Yes
2. I'll go to the local farm and shoot a horse if you bring a baseball bat.
3. Yes
4. Who cares
5. Yes
6. You expect Brian to be genius all of a sudden?

I'm baffled by our play calling on the next to last possession of the game. We'd managed, what 50 yards of total offense the second half yet we think we're going to do something from our own. 30 with less than a minute to go? The upside was incredibly low probability, but the downside was losing the game. e.g. a fumble deep in Nebraska territory. That nearly happened when Deacon was sacked on second down, nearly a strip sack. Of course he threw a pick and we got the correct and favorable holding call to push them back a bit. If we don't get that interception, they've got a receiver wide open at the 35. That likely makes that catch...

We all know Kirk's conservative tendencies and frankly he's generally not wrong, but when they go away from it at bizarre times... It's just puzzling to me.
There is absolutely no reason to go conservative in the Title game. You are expected to lose, so why fulfill their prognosis? Go for the win….at any costs. .

Reactions: amahawk
So **** tired of hearing this. You play who is in front of you. So many teams have easy schedules and lose 3-5 games. Even with an easy schedule it’s hard to win 10 games in college football. Everything in football is all about offense appearance. Does the big ten west sucking at offense make it an easy schedule? Or do they struggle on offense because they play some of the best defensives in the country?

Let’s be honest, Iowa is 11-1 and lost the game they were expected to.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the position.

Facts are facts. Goetz firing BF is a good first step towards accountability and improvement here. Let’s see if the old ball coach can find someone with a pulse to coach QBs. Not holding my breath.

Well written @IowasLaw

I agree.

And I think that's been the problem. Every quarterback since Brian Ferentz took over the quarterbacks have sucked. Even Cade McNamara wasn't great, although I'll give him a pass since he was playing injured the whole time.

QBs are very poorly handled at Iowa. We regularly see QB mistakes on game days that should be corrected in practice and never make it to the field.

There is absolutely no reason to go conservative in the Title game. You are expected to lose, so why fulfill their prognosis? Go for the win….at any costs. .
We should 1000% go conservative in the title game. It’s the only chance we have. If Deacon throws more than 25 times next week he will fumble at least twice and have 2 picks. Punt punt and play field position and hope our defense or special teams can score 10-14 pts and we could somehow score 1 Td on offense. Only chance. I’d prefer to see him pass 10 times or less.

Title game? Sorry, I'm not picking up what you're putting down. In many ways the outcome for Iowa didn't matter. It certainly did for Nebraska relative to bowl eligibility. So why should Iowa be aggressive deep in their own territory in a tie game?

I get that you can blame Kirk/Brian for the playcall that allowed Deacon to make the read and then throw on the INT (and macro view blame them for allowing Hill to be the guy they had to turn to after Cade went down)..............................but that's still a terrible f***ing read and throw by Deacon.

Hill isn't a wild animal that was just doing what comes naturally to him.......even if certain people will make that excuse.

I get that you can blame Kirk/Brian for the playcall that allowed Deacon to make the read and then throw on the INT (and macro view blame them for allowing Hill to be the guy they had to turn to after Cade went down)..............................but that's still a terrible f***ing read and throw by Deacon.

Hill isn't a wild animal that was just doing what comes naturally to him.......even if certain people will make that excuse.
Agreed! I was just surprised at the play calling on that drive. Frankly I expected three runs/knees and playing for OT. I was surprised at our "aggressive" play calling in that situation.

Agreed! I was just surprised at the play calling on that drive. Frankly I expected three runs/knees and playing for OT. I was surprised at our "aggressive" play calling in that situation.
It was terrible coaching. First we call timeout saving Nebraska a timeout. Then we make that play call?

You have to be honest here, the staff lucked out that Nebraska gave it right back.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? While it was a no brainer for Kirk to bench Iowa's star kicker because he struggled in one game (and is still one of the Big 10's best), it still "never occurred" to Kirk or Brian to bench the Big 10's worst performing QB at any point in any game? How? The emergence of Brown from the bottom of the WR depth chart due to an injury and the backup kicker's ability to step in and hit a clutch kick answered the question "what's the upside" in playing a backup. Yet somehow Hill continues to take every snap from Labas & Lainez no matter how poorly he performs. He was an embarrassing 11 for 28 for 94 yards, 0 touchdowns while averaging just 3 yrds per attempt. He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped. Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the positions
The accountability is that they fired the coach's son........

Castro is quietly becoming the next Bob Sanders the way he is drilling guys with that missle-like mentality.

Brian will get one more chance to have a 2017 Ohio State/Will Farrell debate scene in Old School moment. After that, I'd honestly be fine if he f***ed off following the BTCG, and skip the bowl game.

Would that concern me that we absolutely 100% will do the worst thing possible and promote John Budmayr/hire Paul Chryst/or promote someone else from within?..........Of course.

But at least we won't have to blame Brian for the offense's bowl game failures.......because he won't be there! :)

Oh, I don’t know maybe because with our personnel, being conservative gives us our best chance of winning?

ww
Yeah, pretty much.

Our receivers are bad and cannot get open. FFS - this is why we need a quarterback ready and able to tuck and run. We need the guy that can execute the RPO and designed QB draw.

Why we can’t have more of an athlete at the quarterback position is beyond me.

Seems like all our routes are incredibly bland and set to be run 5-6 yards or less REGARDLESS of the yards to gain.

In addition to recruiting, the whole offensive system is just plain poor. Certainly need to burn the playsheet & delete all the Offense-related computer files once Brian is officially out of the building.

I agree with the above statement but think you answered your own question
Sometimes I think the reason Iowa always takes the ball first to start the game off is to get field position good enough to let Taylor pin their opponent deep in their own territory and then let the defense put the pressure on them early in the game. Not to say they won't score on the first possession, but they aren't unhappy when they don't either.

I don't care how soft the schedule is - although depending on how today's games break we could have as many as I believe 8 opponents be bowl-eligible so I'd argue against it being the softest ever; we won 10 games with a terrible offense. It was never pretty all year long, but kudos to Kirk and co for just grinding away and finding ways to win.

While I ultimately expect Patterson to transfer - I do like him in stretches as well; each of the 3 RBs brings something different imo.

Not sure if elements bothered him, regression to the mean after playing better the last 3 weeks or what, but yeah, today was not Deacon's best game.

OP just makes me laugh sometimes - we have an elite defense and an awful offense; so naturally he wants Iowa to go away from their strength and force the offense to do things it's just not good at.

What exactly would it be that the offense is good at?

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
What exactly would it be that the offense is good at?

Obviously not much - they’ve been effective at times running the ball, and some success when they are able to stay on schedule.

But especially after all the injuries, this is a very limited offense. OP complaining because Iowa knows what it is and plays conservative as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT