ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Nebraska

The Hawks moved to 10-2 with a last second win against the worst program in the Power 5. It's been quite a season of ups, downs, and extremely close games. So let's get to it:

1. Hurkett's Huge Game. How about unheralded Ethan Hurkett stepping up huge. Not only did he set career bests with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks, but he had the game winning interception at a time when it looked like Nebraska was going to sting the Hawks with a last second field goal. The guy should be one of the bright spots next year on a fully rebuilt defense.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? While it was a no brainer for Kirk to bench Iowa's star kicker because he struggled in one game (and is still one of the Big 10's best), it still "never occurred" to Kirk or Brian to bench the Big 10's worst performing QB at any point in any game? How? The emergence of Brown from the bottom of the WR depth chart due to an injury and the backup kicker's ability to step in and hit a clutch kick answered the question "what's the upside" in playing a backup. Yet somehow Hill continues to take every snap from Labas & Lainez no matter how poorly he performs. He was an embarrassing 11 for 28 for 94 yards, 0 touchdowns while averaging just 3 yrds per attempt. He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped. Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the position.

3. Love Watching Castro. Let's not take for granted all those smooth sliding tackles where Castro swoops in and takes out a guy's legs in the blink of an eye. He had 2 more key tackles for loss this week. It would be fantastic if he comes back next year and becomes the star of the defense, but if not, he's clearly got a huge NFL career ahead of him like so many who came before him.

4. Weakest Schedule in Iowa History? Years from now, fans will only remember 2023 for the 10 win season. But as we assess the year, it's hard to overlook that none of Iowa's 10 wins were against anyone with a pulse. Believe it or not, 6-5 Northwestern was Iowa's "best" Big 10 win. The Hawks also beat 6-5 Wisconsin in their worst season in a decade. That's it. It's unheard of for a Big 10 team to play just one Top 25 opponent in 12 games, but that's how the schedule worked out. If Iowa gets blown out in the Big 10 championship game, it'll be hard to remember this team as anything but beneficiaries of the softest schedule they may ever have.

5. Williams is Growing On Me. Williams always struck me as a career depth player. Solid, but not enough sizzle or speed to be a featured back. With that said, the guy runs harder than more talented backs. He has slowly become Iowa's most reliable back. He finished the day with 16 carries for 111 yards for a whopping 7 yards per carry...while Johnson averaged just 3 yards per carry. It'll be interesting to see which RBs stick around next year with 3 guys vying for the starter role.

6. Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues. How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches? Why is it still so scary to throw the ball down the field to one of your 8 scholarship wide receivers? Brian has nothing to lose, yet he continues to go out there and coach like it's 1912 and points are impossible to get. Rather than sulk and throw out all his Iowa gear while still getting paid $900,000 + bonus this year, it would be nice to see Brian at least try to be innovative and accomplish some big
Tha schedule was a joke. Big win of the season was vs Nwest. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Maybe our second QB sucks? Why can’t that ever be considered?
@markfromj - Whether our second QB sucks or not is irrelevant. Our first QB sucks. If he's not accountable after throwing bad ball after bad ball and taking dumb sack after dumb sack, how deflating must that be to the rest of the team who are busting their asses and ARE accountable?

@jonesy5960 - I agree on the distribution of carries. It seems like Brian wants to create a separate back who only comes in on 3rd down. Strangely, he picked Patterson, who has only caught 3 passes all year (the 3rd down back specialty is exclusively for backs who are a threat in the passing game). That dilutes the number of carries Johnson gets.

@DropitlikeitsHawk - uhh yeah, star kicker. Drew Stevens was a semi-finalist for the Lou Groza award THIS YEAR, and has made the 2nd most field goals (most long field goals) in the Big 10. You either have a very short term memory, or you've never watched a Hawkeye game. For Kirk to bench him after 1 bad game should really make true Hawk fans scratch their heads when guys like Hill can make mistake after mistake and play every down of every series.

@BlIIlken2 - I'll answer your question for you. The offenses in the Big 10 west suck. Like historically bad. If it were just great defenses, they'd be able to stop offenses from the Big 10 east. They cannot.

@Phenomenally Frantastic - the only quarrel I have with your post is that I don't think Goetz had anything to do with the decision to fire Brian. She's taken way more credit than deserved for an interim AD who's only been familiar with the U of I for a year. She takes her orders and executes them and lacks the clout to make that kind of decision on her own. As for the poor QB coaching and development at Iowa, you are 100% correct.

@littlez - we already saw what happens if Iowa goes conservative against a team with a pulse. 31-0 loss to Penn State. The defense will break if the offense goes 3 and out time and time again running the ball up the middle for no gain. Iowa's only chance is to mix it up and throw the ball down the field. With those, at least there's a 50/50 chance of getting a pass interference call.

Title game? Sorry, I'm not picking up what you're putting down. In many ways the outcome for Iowa didn't matter. It certainly did for Nebraska relative to bowl eligibility. So why should Iowa be aggressive deep in their own territory in a tie game?
I was referring to next Saturday’s game which is for the Big Ten Title. Last I checked the Hawks are in that game.

@markfromj - Whether our second QB sucks or not is irrelevant. Our first QB sucks. If he's not accountable after throwing bad ball after bad ball and taking dumb sack after dumb sack, how deflating must that be to the rest of the team who are busting their asses and ARE accountable?

@jonesy5960 - I agree on the distribution of carries. It seems like Brian wants to create a separate back who only comes in on 3rd down. Strangely, he picked Patterson, who has only caught 3 passes all year (the 3rd down back specialty is exclusively for backs who are a threat in the passing game). That dilutes the number of carries Johnson gets.

@DropitlikeitsHawk - uhh yeah, star kicker. Drew Stevens was a semi-finalist for the Lou Groza award THIS YEAR, and has made the 2nd most field goals (most long field goals) in the Big 10. You either have a very short term memory, or you've never watched a Hawkeye game. For Kirk to bench him after 1 bad game should really make true Hawk fans scratch their heads when guys like Hill can make mistake after mistake and play every down of every series.

@BlIIlken2 - I'll answer your question for you. The offenses in the Big 10 west suck. Like historically bad. If it were just great defenses, they'd be able to stop offenses from the Big 10 east. They cannot.

@Phenomenally Frantastic - the only quarrel I have with your post is that I don't think Goetz had anything to do with the decision to fire Brian. She's taken way more credit than deserved for an interim AD who's only been familiar with the U of I for a year. She takes her orders and executes them and lacks the clout to make that kind of decision on her own. As for the poor QB coaching and development at Iowa, you are 100% correct.

@littlez - we already saw what happens if Iowa goes conservative against a team with a pulse. 31-0 loss to Penn State. The defense will break if the offense goes 3 and out time and time again running the ball up the middle for no gain. Iowa's only chance is to mix it up and throw the ball down the field. With those, at least there's a 50/50 chance of getting a pass interference call.
I actually agree w/most of your points. However in your first point you said our 1st Qb sucks. We can say throw caution to the wind against Michigan but we have 2 strengths in this team and it's been our defense and special teams, field goal team the last 2 weeks kind of an anomaly. If Brown plays sure, try and get him the ball. He's our only playmaker we have besides our running backs. But after another 10-28 game against Nebraska and now playing a much better defense in Michigan I'd rather not see Deacon tossing the ball around a lot. Our defense is going to be tired either way. Completing 33% of your passes stops the clock and puts even more pressure on the defense.

Literally our best chance at scoring is letting Leshon or Kaleb Johnson break one. We should have given them the ball every single play in the fourth quarter. There is a very little upside to throwing the football for iowa and a lot of downside, as seen by our last pass yesterday. Luckily, Nebraska decided to Nebraska and got a holding penalty on that negated the return on that interception.
Minnesota and Nebraska perfect examples of the downside to Hill passing. Had a chance to win both games and threw interceptions on both drives.

The Hawks moved to 10-2 with a last second win against the worst program in the Power 5. It's been quite a season of ups, downs, and extremely close games. So let's get to it:

1. Hurkett's Huge Game. How about unheralded Ethan Hurkett stepping up huge. Not only did he set career bests with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks, but he had the game winning interception at a time when it looked like Nebraska was going to sting the Hawks with a last second field goal. The guy should be one of the bright spots next year on a fully rebuilt defense.

2. If Kirk Can Bench His Kicker Why Not His QB? While it was a no brainer for Kirk to bench Iowa's star kicker because he struggled in one game (and is still one of the Big 10's best), it still "never occurred" to Kirk or Brian to bench the Big 10's worst performing QB at any point in any game? How? The emergence of Brown from the bottom of the WR depth chart due to an injury and the backup kicker's ability to step in and hit a clutch kick answered the question "what's the upside" in playing a backup. Yet somehow Hill continues to take every snap from Labas & Lainez no matter how poorly he performs. He was an embarrassing 11 for 28 for 94 yards, 0 touchdowns while averaging just 3 yrds per attempt. He also had a crucial late game interception that should have cost Iowa the game, and threw 3 other interceptions that the defenders simply dropped. Hawk fans have now had to endure 4 straight years of having the worst QB in the Big 10 and there's been zero accountability at the position.

3. Love Watching Castro. Let's not take for granted all those smooth sliding tackles where Castro swoops in and takes out a guy's legs in the blink of an eye. He had 2 more key tackles for loss this week. It would be fantastic if he comes back next year and becomes the star of the defense, but if not, he's clearly got a huge NFL career ahead of him like so many who came before him.

4. Weakest Schedule in Iowa History? Years from now, fans will only remember 2023 for the 10 win season. But as we assess the year, it's hard to overlook that none of Iowa's 10 wins were against anyone with a pulse. Believe it or not, 6-5 Northwestern was Iowa's "best" Big 10 win. The Hawks also beat 6-5 Wisconsin in their worst season in a decade. That's it. It's unheard of for a Big 10 team to play just one Top 25 opponent in 12 games, but that's how the schedule worked out. If Iowa gets blown out in the Big 10 championship game, it'll be hard to remember this team as anything but beneficiaries of the softest schedule they may ever have.

5. Williams is Growing On Me. Williams always struck me as a career depth player. Solid, but not enough sizzle or speed to be a featured back. With that said, the guy runs harder than more talented backs. He has slowly become Iowa's most reliable back. He finished the day with 16 carries for 111 yards for a whopping 7 yards per carry...while Johnson averaged just 3 yards per carry. It'll be interesting to see which RBs stick around next year with 3 guys vying for the starter role.

6. Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues. How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches? Why is it still so scary to throw the ball down the field to one of your 8 scholarship wide receivers? Brian has nothing to lose, yet he continues to go out there and coach like it's 1912 and points are impossible to get. Rather than sulk and throw out all his Iowa gear while still getting paid $900,000 + bonus this year, it would be nice to see Brian at least try to be innovative and accomplish some big plays.
#6. That throw by Deac that got picked at the end was ultra conservative? The conservative thing to do would have been to play for OT.

Your definition of a star is quite different than mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher
What's everyone think of Xavier Nwankpa so far?
Seems pretty quiet, not sure that's a good thing at the S position?

What's everyone think of Xavier Nwankpa so far?
Seems pretty quiet, not sure that's a good thing at the S position?

I think he’s been solid, especially dealing with a hand issue the past few weeks. Didn’t make as many splash plays as I’d have thought, but the defense as a whole hasn’t created as many turnovers as we’re used to seeing this year.

Obviously not much - they’ve been effective at times running the ball, and some success when they are able to stay on schedule.

But especially after all the injuries, this is a very limited offense. OP complaining because Iowa knows what it is and plays conservative as a result.
running game is fair

On running up the middle on 3rd and long......I wish we did it at the 10 instead of running wide and ensuring a horrible angle for fg attempt. If it had been done the other 2 times just like on the final fg maybe we don't miss them either. On short fg attempts from hashes why not snap deeper into backfield and center it on the field?

We should 1000% go conservative in the title game. It’s the only chance we have. If Deacon throws more than 25 times next week he will fumble at least twice and have 2 picks. Punt punt and play field position and hope our defense or special teams can score 10-14 pts and we could somehow score 1 Td on offense. Only chance. I’d prefer to see him pass 10 times or less.
YES. THIS.

Shit he fell down in the end zone against Nebraska. Fumbled snap against Wisconsin when setting up for game clinching field goal. Two chances to win games vs Minnesota and Nebraska and threw interceptions both times.
Deacon made a game saving play when he either tripped or got stepped on in the endzone against Nebraska. That was a hell of a play for him to toss it to Leshon.

Reactions: Greenheadhawk
Shit he fell down in the end zone against Nebraska. Fumbled snap against Wisconsin when setting up for game clinching field goal. Two chances to win games vs Minnesota and Nebraska and threw interceptions both times.
Which is why we should run. Now, he might get tripped up by our own linemen like he did twice on Saturday, one that would have resulted in a possible safety or TD for Nebby, but I still feel pretty solid about the handoff thing most of the time. Lol.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Deacon made a game saving play when he either tripped or got stepped on in the endzone against Nebraska. That was a hell of a play for him to toss it to Leshon.
Point well taken. Not a good game when the highlight of game is getting rid of ball before falling down.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
We were also told Ruddock sucked the year Vandenburg took every snap. Ruddock made NFL practice squad, Vandy never got a sniff. I do think its possible nobody is better than Hill but I don't think it is a big deal to give a backup a shot at playing when starter stinks.
heck yes, play the back ups when you aren’t winning games.

Because we’ve seen him play, and get a win, in a big game and he didn’t suck. In fact, he was pretty good.
14/24 for 139 yds, 1 TD no ints. QB rating 49.4

Hill v Nebraska. 11/28 for 94 yds, no TD's 1 int.

I'd have to say both were pretty bad. Hill has had more game experience by now to his advantage, and he clearly sucks. But I don't think I would characterize Labas as pretty good.

Sometimes I think the reason Iowa always takes the ball first to start the game off is to get field position good enough to let Taylor pin their opponent deep in their own territory and then let the defense put the pressure on them early in the game. Not to say they won't score on the first possession, but they aren't unhappy when they don't either.
It's got everything to do with the wind.

1a. Rutgers
1b. Illinois
2 td's and 1 int. Less than 200 yds passing avg per game. Improvements from earlier in season but hardly anything to get excited about. If that's the best, well, it is Iowa football.

Reactions: Moral
14/24 for 139 yds, 1 TD no ints. QB rating 49.4

Hill v Nebraska. 11/28 for 94 yds, no TD's 1 int.

I'd have to say both were pretty bad. Hill has had more game experience by now to his advantage, and he clearly sucks. But I don't think I would characterize Labas as pretty good.
Unfortunately the past few year years when you talk about Iowa QBs on the roster…it comes down to ‘who doesn’t suck the most’!?!?
We are clueless/have the worst luck at finding and developing good QBs and WRs…Maybe Copeland should be shown the door along with BF?

Reactions: not_mantiteo

6. Ultra Conservative Play Calling Continues. How many times do we have to watch Iowa run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 7? How many more punts on 4th and inches? Why is it still so scary to throw the ball down the field to one of your 8 scholarship wide receivers? Brian has nothing to lose, yet he continues to go out there and coach like it's 1912 and points are impossible to get. Rather than sulk and throw out all his Iowa gear while still getting paid $900,000 + bonus this year, it would be nice to see Brian at least try to be innovative and accomplish some big plays.
NW is 7-5
Wisc. is 7-5
ISU is 7-5
All good wins. All on the road.
10 wins with the injuries etc. was a miracle year. Better Iowa teams have lost to worse ISU, NW and Wisconsin teams. What Power 5 team didn't beat a bunch of crappy teams?
I would like to see people like you at a tailgate with some Hawkeye player families and discuss how shitty their sons are and how bad the competition was this year. My guess is you may not act like the smartest guy in the room.

By the way, your analysis is nothing more than a repeat of viewpoints espoused 1,000 times already this season.

NW is 7-5
Wisc. is 7-5
ISU is 7-5
All good wins. All on the road.
10 wins with the injuries etc. was a miracle year. Better Iowa teams have lost to worse ISU, NW and Wisconsin teams. What Power 5 team didn't beat a bunch of crappy teams?
I would like to see people like you at a tailgate with some Hawkeye player families and discuss how shitty their sons are and how bad the competition was this year. My guess is you may not act like the smartest guy in the room.

By the way, your analysis is nothing more than a repeat of viewpoints espoused 1,000 times already this season.
All average wins at best. Northwestern was a road game in name only. Iowa State has improved dramatically. Not sure if Iowa beats that team now. Worst Wisconsin team we’ve seen in decades.
Put me at a tailgate with those parents and I’d tell them how sorry I am that they have to play for Brian Ferentz and how all the offensive guys deserve so much better.

All average wins at best. Northwestern was a road game in name only. Iowa State has improved dramatically. Not sure if Iowa beats that team now. Worst Wisconsin team we’ve seen in decades.
Put me at a tailgate with those parents and I’d tell them how sorry I am that they have to play for Brian Ferentz and how all the offensive guys deserve so much better.
Funny how ISU always improves dramatically after they lose to Iowa. (ISU was Iowa's easiest Power 5 win)
Hell, Big 12 defenses would make Deacon Hill look like a Heismann candidate.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Funny how ISU always improves dramatically after they lose to Iowa. (ISU was Iowa's easiest Power 5 win)
@blubberhawk - which Big 12 team, exactly, would make Deacon Hill look like a Heisman candidate? Texas? Oklahoma? Hill completed 33% of his passes against 5 win Minnesota. He threw for 37 yards against Wisconsin.

You're right, though, it must be the super loaded Big 10 west that prevented Hill from looking like a Heisman candidate and not the fact that he is the worst starting QB in the power 5.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
No they wouldn’t. We might somehow win (we usually do) but it wouldn’t have anything to do with the offense. Just like last Fridays game and most games this season.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT