ADVERTISEMENT

HS finals comments

I don’t think there was anyone from the state of Iowa that went the distance with Ayala this year. He was undefeated, and his decisions/majors were all from out of state opponents.

Wish we could’ve seen him vs Schriever again this year.

The first match at state he won 20-5. The remaining matches were won by pins.

If Schriever and Ayala would have met and if Schriever would have won then their wouldn't be anymore talk of recruiting Ayala. I believe Schriever would have won.

The extra weight would have helped but with Schreiver’s injury issues he’s not at his best right now. Ayala would take him at the moment.

I’m pretty sure it was Brandon O’Brien from Lin-Mar after his loss to Ryder Block. I haven’t seen much about Block on here, but he was an undefeated freshman. Rumor is (and I can’t stress enough that it’s a rumor and I have not validated it) that he moved from Denver, IA, to WSR so he could wrestle the best competition. If that’s true then that’s kind of cool

My impression is that he didn’t move but that is the district he lives in. Might be wrong.

I’m pretty sure it was Brandon O’Brien from Lin-Mar after his loss to Ryder Block. I haven’t seen much about Block on here, but he was an undefeated freshman. Rumor is (and I can’t stress enough that it’s a rumor and I have not validated it) that he moved from Denver, IA, to WSR so he could wrestle the best competition. If that’s true then that’s kind of cool

The kid that didn't show up for his award should be reprimanded by the iahsaa if not his school

What do you think should be the penalty for the kid? Enlighten me.

Glad the kid has apologized, that says something.

I’ve never seen that before and it’s is some real b.s. that his high school coaches or club coach couldn’t grab that kid and plop him down on the stand. Hell, Allard showed up for the podium. I actually thought there were penalties for not showing up for awards. If not, other kids will start to think it’s optional. Someone needs to show the kid a pic of Gable on the stand next to Larry Owings and maybe that will give him some perspective.

Glad the kid has apologized, that says something.

I’ve never seen that before and it’s is some real b.s. that his high school coaches or club coach couldn’t grab that kid and plop him down on the stand. Hell, Allard showed up for the podium. I actually thought there were penalties for not showing up for awards. If not, other kids will start to think it’s optional. Someone needs to show the kid a pic of Gable on the stand next to Larry Owings and maybe that will give him some perspective.
He's not representing a Club at the IHSAA State Tournament.

The kid himself should get his ass to the stand, he's not a 1st grader. Pretty sure it's not the first Tournament he's been in either, where they take pictures on podiums for placement.

I don't think for one second this kid apologized on his own. Pretty sure we all know exactly how this all went down, and yes there should be repercussions.

4 seconds got his ass road out!

Yup. But had he stayed based out in the last 5-10 seconds he’d be a 4 time state champ. Instead he reached back which made him easy to tilt.

No 3 timer had previously lost in the finals.

The extra weight would have helped but with Schreiver’s injury issues he’s not at his best right now. Ayala would take him at the moment.

My impression is that he didn’t move but that is the district he lives in. Might be wrong.

They lived in Denver and moved. His dad was on their coaching staff as well.

Yup. But had he stayed based out in the last 5-10 seconds he’d be a 4 time state champ. Instead he reached back which made him easy to tilt.

No 3 timer had previously lost in the finals.
Yeah but you got to wrestle and the other kid did! He got beat next time work from your belly.

What do you think should be the penalty for the kid? Enlighten me.
I'll not certain. I'd make him sit out a competition or two at the beginning of the next wrestling season if i was the coach or school. Also, from the iahsaa viewpoint i would make it known that in the future if this happens by any wrestler it is treated like a dq, you arent technically recognized as the runner up and you lose all team pts you earned.

Reactions: OldFatSlow
He's not representing a Club at the IHSAA State Tournament.

The kid himself should get his ass to the stand, he's not a 1st grader. Pretty sure it's not the first Tournament he's been in either, where they take pictures on podiums for placement.

I don't think for one second this kid apologized on his own. Pretty sure we all know exactly how this all went down, and yes there should be repercussions.
I think you’re looking for a punishment that is much worse than the crime itself.

I’m guessing he had some difficult discussions with his parents and/or coach. To publicly acknowledge a mistake like this is not an easy thing for a teenager to do.

Looks to me like he’s learned his lesson and time to move on. I don’t get why anyone would be out for blood here.

I think you’re looking for a punishment that is much worse than the crime itself.

I’m guessing he had some difficult discussions with his parents and/or coach. To publicly acknowledge a mistake like this is not an easy thing for a teenager to do.

Looks to me like he’s learned his lesson and time to move on. I don’t get why anyone would be out for blood here.
I agree with you. Obviously the kid should’ve taken the stand as it’s the right thing to do, and I think he should be proud of his accomplishment. Pretty good year, but he’s still just a kid and obviously took the loss hard. Mistakes happen, and as you mentioned, I’m sure he probably had a difficult discussion with his parents and/or coach. Hopefully he learns from it and can put it behind him.

On a different note regarding the 3A 106lbers, the top 3 (Block, O’Brien, and Jesuroga) all are/were ranked in the top 25 nationally this year. All 3 will also be back next year, O’Brien will be a senior and both Block and Jesuroga will be sophomores. Obviously there is a lot of growing that they could do, but it’ll still be fun to get to see these guys keep scraping

On a different note regarding the 3A 106lbers, the top 3 (Block, O’Brien, and Jesuroga) all are/were ranked in the top 25 nationally this year. All 3 will also be back next year, O’Brien will be a senior and both Block and Jesuroga will be sophomores. Obviously there is a lot of growing that they could do, but it’ll still be fun to get to see these guys keep scraping

Also, Block finished undefeated. O’Brien’s 2 loses were both to Block, and Jesuroga’s 2 loses were to Block and O’Brien- by 1pt each

Show me where "the blood" is coming from, Dumbass. I said their should be repercussions, and there damn well should be, unless you think this one kid deserves a pass because "he's special" and couldn't manage to do what every other kid in the tournament that placed somehow managed to do (do the math).

And whatever they come up with for punishment they should double it because the kid was stupid enough to be filmed wearing Iowa State gear.

Gotta feel for that Allard kid...he'll think about that 4 seconds for the rest of his life.

Rathjen looked tough as nails too.
He will I’m sure. Only time in Iowa history for a 3time state champ to get beat in the finals. Got to feel for him no doubt.

But conversely you have to give Noonan credit. He kept trying to get that right boot in, and Allard kept blocking it. But he finally gets it in and goes to work on power half series, sticks with it and turns him in last five seconds. Wow

The family moved and his sister then open enrolled to Denver for her senior year.

You would be wrong then. I have very much been in that position. Actually I wasnt really criticizing as much as questioning why it was suddenly commonplace.
I was chatting with an old coaching buddy of mine about this last night. Our answer was the number of freshman that are just coming in as studs right away. I know we've had that over the years. But a lot less in the past and usually at the lower weights. We now have kids across the 14 weights making finals as freshman. And if they are that good coming in, they’ve probably been dreaming of one thing for years. Winning four. Then to get to the finals, lose and know that dream is done. Gone forever. Thats a tough realization as you are walking up the podium to the “2nd” spot, something some of these freshman have never done. Plus they are freshman, snd some are still just 14 and emotionally beat up at that point

Marcel Lopez from New London has looked good. He is a two time state champ as a sophomore. He usually gets a rasy takedown,and is a hammer on top with his long lanky body.

Reactions: Lsanders20
I was chatting with an old coaching buddy of mine about this last night. Our answer was the number of freshman that are just coming in as studs right away. I know we've had that over the years. But a lot less in the past and usually at the lower weights. We now have kids across the 14 weights making finals as freshman. And if they are that good coming in, they’ve probably been dreaming of one thing for years. Winning four. Then to get to the finals, lose and know that dream is done. Gone forever. Thats a tough realization as you are walking up the podium to the “2nd” spot, something some of these freshman have never done. Plus they are freshman, snd some are still just 14 and emotionally beat up at that point
That makes a lot of sense for the freshmen. Thanks.

I believe there’s a kid from Centerville who became a 3x runner up last night.
He needs to channel his inner Lugo, cause he's got the same problem. Vertically challenged.

He's got another year to try to get 1st though. 2,2,2 ain't too shabby so far.

Can someone explain the success at State for so many freshmen?

Watered down competition where juniors and seniors just quit. Better clubs with kids coming into high school more seasoned?

Can someone explain the success at State for so many freshmen?

Watered down competition where juniors and seniors just quit. Better clubs with kids coming into high school more seasoned?

I think its this...many of these kids have been wrestling around the country and have experience in big time, age level matches. It helps that AAU state is in the Well...my nephew was telling me his boys feel at home there vs maybe back in the old days where wrestling in that type of atmosphere maybe intimidated some kids. Here is Seabolt's club:

Reactions: tigerguy_
I think its this...many of these kids have been wrestling around the country and have experience in big time, age level matches. It helps that AAU state is in the Well...my nephew was telling me his boys feel at home there vs maybe back in the old days where wrestling in that type of atmosphere maybe intimidated some kids. Here is Seabolt's club:

Ayala at the opposite end of the photo from schriever. Obviously that means there are issues and he won’t be a Hawk

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT