ADVERTISEMENT

HS finals comments

I think the elite kids are more coached up and have more top level experience coming into HS then they ever have before. I'm not saying the overall talent is better, just that elementary and MS wrestling is a lot different for the top level kids than it ever was before. Still doesn't mean late bloomers or more naturally gifted kids can't prevail in the end but a lot more kids are coming into his at a pretty high development/experienced level

Last edited:
I think the elite kids are more coached up and have more top level experience coming into his then they ever have before. I'm not saying the overall talent is better, just that elementary and MS wrestling is a lot different for the top level kids than it ever was before. Still doesn't mean late bloomers or more naturally gifted kids can't prevail in the end but a lot more kids are coming into his at a pretty high/p we experienced level

That's my take as well. ^^ There are now many very good clubs around the state and a good percentage of the young wrestlers are associated with them and are wrestling quality competition close to year round.

Interestingly, I think it could be harder for a college coach nowadays in recruiting than back in the day. IMO, you would have to be wary of the dominant kid in HS that may have reached his plateau as a Jr. let's say, while another good kids keeps on getting just a bit better for the next few years. By the time they are a year or two into their college years the formerly dominant one may now get beat by the previous "also ran".

Reactions: Gobblin
I feel for Jack Gaukel. Has there ever been a 3x runner up? Or 4x runner up? I hope he can get one next year.
Yeh the Winterset kid stayed away and never shot. Won with 2 escapes and locked hands. Jack lost in OT last year. Moved up 3 wt classes this year from 132 to 152. The 145 class this year is loaded. Assuming some may move up.

I was chatting with an old coaching buddy of mine about this last night. Our answer was the number of freshman that are just coming in as studs right away. I know we've had that over the years. But a lot less in the past and usually at the lower weights. We now have kids across the 14 weights making finals as freshman. And if they are that good coming in, they’ve probably been dreaming of one thing for years. Winning four. Then to get to the finals, lose and know that dream is done. Gone forever. Thats a tough realization as you are walking up the podium to the “2nd” spot, something some of these freshman have never done. Plus they are freshman, snd some are still just 14 and emotionally beat up at that point

The club element is huge. First it was High Altitude, Ubasa, and DC Elite. Then it just exploded and Sebolt has the market cornered on the top talent. These kid's now have access to college level coaching and technique as well as a "national" tournament virtually every weekend.

But another big factor is the "redshirt". Keuter went to 8th grade twice, as did Marcel Lopez. Gable Porter went to 4th grade twice. Matthew Lewis went to 5th grade twice. Those are just off the top of my head who redshirted after kindergarten. The vast majority of boy's nowadays who's father's want them to become super star athlete's start kindergarten late or do 2 years of kindergarten. Dan Knight's kid is like two years older than kids in his class.

Reactions: jvclark and Gobblin
The club element is huge. First it was High Altitude, Ubasa, and DC Elite. Then it just exploded and Sebolt has the market cornered on the top talent. These kid's now have access to college level coaching and technique as well as a "national" tournament virtually every weekend.

But another big factor is the "redshirt". Keuter went to 8th grade twice, as did Marcel Lopez. Gable Porter went to 4th grade twice. Matthew Lewis went to 5th grade twice. Those are just off the top of my head who redshirted after kindergarten. The vast majority of boy's nowadays who's father's want them to become super star athlete's start kindergarten late or do 2 years of kindergarten. Dan Knight's kid is like two years older than kids in his class.
Was that Liddle's Father that presented the awards for 3A HWT.? Appears he is Bettendorf's Freshman Coach?

I know Josh Liddle is signed to play Football for the Hawks already.

Reactions: TtotheL
I believe Reicz (sp) from Lo-Ma also became a 3 time runner up Saturday. Tough break to be so close, though I think he has one more shot.

As far as the podium boycott... no need to make this anything more then it is. A kid who didn't handle losing very well, but apologized the next day. I say the only thing the IHSAA should do is just not give him his medal. His parents and coaches can dictate some extra laps, and everyone else can move on.

As far as the club scene, yeah kids are getting some great instruction and quite a bit are challenging themselves nationally. I wouldn't necessarily say Sebolt has the top talent cornered but he is the top dog right now. DC Elite and Big Game Hunters are closing that gap, and you'll be seeing some studs coming from those clubs real soon (if current development continues).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT