ADVERTISEMENT

HWC U.S. Open: Final RESULTS

I know ISU fans are feeling pretty good, but the I recall similar sentiments about a year ago for Gomez. Gomez didn't AA and even though 157 doesn't look real deep right now... I expect some struggles for Carr next season.

I expect Young will beat him rather easily if/when they meet.

You didn't really expect me to praise Carr, did you?

I know ISU fans are feeling pretty good, but the I recall similar sentiments about a year ago for Gomez. Gomez didn't AA and even though 157 doesn't look real deep right now... I expect some struggles for Carr next season.

I expect Young will beat him rather easily if/when they meet.

You didn't really expect me to praise Carr, did you?
YX6rHSV.gif

Congrats to Nelson Brands on a great tournament. He was seeded #7 and finished 3rd, with just one close loss to #2 seed Carr. He beat #1 seed Wittlake and pinned the #4 seed Ramirez.

A little background on where these guys were coming out of HS...

FLO's 2018 Big Board had these rankings:

Carr #5 (#1 in his weight class)
Wittlake #6 (#1 in his weight class)
Ramirez #10 ( #2 in his weight class) (2019 Big Board)
Brands #93 (not in top 20 of his weight class)

I guess one could conclude Nelson has developed quite well in his 1 year at Iowa. :)

Congrats to Nelson Brands on a great tournament. He was seeded #7 and finished 3rd, with just one close loss to #2 seed Carr. He beat #1 seed Wittlake and pinned the #4 seed Ramirez.

I guess one could conclude Nelson has developed quite well in his 1 year at Iowa. :)

And Carr is in a room that is well known for it’s inability to develop any talent whatsoever over the last decade.

Well, yeah I guess if you want to look at it logically, you could say that he had a great tournament and beat a lot of studs that were ranked much higher. And that he is developing into a high level wrestler at Iowa.

But, but, but we must keep the theme from other threads. He is a Hawkeye and that means one thing and one thing only:
db5b73afe45b468f27b8fa203459af5eddc1251b301a695465b66302dec45146.jpg

Sorry, new dude.You would be incorrect.

You trying to be a jack donkey or something?

Some big wins for brands. We gotta find a way to get that guy in the line up....!

1 out of over 100 is something to be bragging about? ISU Wrestling is where dreams go to die.
Not bragging, just saying there has been a national champ the last decade. There are teams who have yet to have a natty champ ever. You could certainly do worse than ISU, especially now that they have a competent staff.

Did Nelson Brands even take a shot against Carr?
Given it was a 4-2 match, if I'm ISU, I wouldn't feel good about the future and that match-up. Carr has been wrestling since he was very young and Carr has had access to great coaches and partners for that entire time. We all know that Nelson started late, literally in the 7th grade I think, so his upside is huge. Talking to Mark Reiland at Iowa City West, he told me that Terry wasn't coaching Nelson and he left it up to him. Now that Nelson is in the room, Terry is treating him like other wrestlers on the team and coaching him. Nelson will beat Carr in the future, at least that's my opinion. Nelson will blow away his ranking from high school, 93 overall in the class will look silly when they recap the actual results versus high school ranking.

Gotta love ISU fans talking crap not only on an Iowa board but dear God they are ISU. Their best recruit in years who is gonna help save the program won 4-2 against an Iowa back-up in freestyle. Seriously Clark? Better get more coaching openings for recruit families as the recent ISU recruits never won State (I know there are a couple exceptions to this rule but ISU seems to love these guys) and lost to Hawk and UNI recruits who may be future room guys. Carr is a stud no doubt. We get it. You hired his Dad to get him. Awesome. But it takes more than one. We all heard about Gomez this past year and how did he finish? ISU is definitely improving but they had nowhere to go but up.

When would you say TG was being careless? I thought he wrestled well, just didn’t get it done this time. I don’t think either man will ever “own” the other one. They will have tough matches every time they wrestle.

The last 25 seconds, duh. Double unders? You serious?

Given it was a 4-2 match, if I'm ISU, I wouldn't feel good about the future and that match-up. Carr has been wrestling since he was very young and Carr has had access to great coaches and partners for that entire time. We all know that Nelson started late, literally in the 7th grade I think, so his upside is huge. Talking to Mark Reiland at Iowa City West, he told me that Terry wasn't coaching Nelson and he left it up to him. Now that Nelson is in the room, Terry is treating him like other wrestlers on the team and coaching him. Nelson will beat Carr in the future, at least that's my opinion. Nelson will blow away his ranking from high school, 93 overall in the class will look silly when they recap the actual results versus high school ranking.

Carr was originally going to go Sr. level. He has wrestled Sr. level events and given his expectation and FS background he should be ale to compete with the likes of Sorensen, Deakin, Pantaleo etc. Not only did he go Jr. vs Sr. he then went at an easier weight at Jr.

Carr was originally going to go Sr. level. He has wrestled Sr. level events and given his expectation and FS background he should be ale to compete with the likes of Sorensen, Deakin, Pantaleo etc. Not only did he go Jr. vs Sr. he then went at an easier weight at Jr.
He did win the bracket he was eligible to be in however, so he does deserve some props for that, as much or as little us Iowa fans may want to give him. :D

Reactions: andegre
When would you say TG was being careless? I thought he wrestled well, just didn’t get it done this time. I don’t think either man will ever “own” the other one. They will have tough matches every time they wrestle.

I think Gilman would agree...he had criteria at 4-4 and let Fix inside ...something that hadn’t happened in all of their matches...plus, I believe he had an action warning to give.

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT