ADVERTISEMENT

I’d Like to Try to Barbeque Out of This

McLovin32

HB Legend
Feb 1, 2008
Ol JRHawk would not approve though. Florida folks, are you trying to eat more wild hogs?

Reactions: Moral
I am curious, why that is? Is it just that they eat anything and everything?
It has to be diet. They eat garbage and taste gamey to straight up bad. The males are also said to have more testosterone than farm raised, but I know nothing about pig farming.

Reactions: McLovin32
If it tastes straight up bad it might not have been field dressed in a timely manner....
No clue. The couple of hog hunts I’ve been to, the guys didn’t even attempt to harvest the meat. It was strictly population control.

This was in Texas. I’m not sure if they’re better elsewhere.

I remember when I was a kid, probably 12ish years old, we were at a friend’s farm and out of the brush wanders this skanky looking pig. It was a boar that had escaped a few months back and he just kind of hung around the farm eating acorns and spilled grain. A few years later, I was at the same friend’s house having a pork chop and I thought of that pig and asked “whatever happened to it?” Turns out we were eating him. That skanky pig turned out a damn good pork chop.

I’ve had actual wild pig once. It was a pork chop and didn’t look like a typical pork chop, as it was smaller and the bone seemed to be less robust. It was chargrilled and had a jalapeño and plum glaze put on it after it came off the flames. Had a gamey taste that was mellowed a bit by the sauce. Paired well with garlic mashed potatoes and whatever red wine was picked by my friend, who pretty much only cooks and eats wild protein. It was actually a great meal, hope he makes it for me again someday.

And now that I think about it, I had some wild pig andouille sausage that was homemade by a coonass who running a crawfish boil. That was very good too. Tasted like regular good andouille, except the texture was courser with larger chunks of lean meat in a matrix of softer meat like you’d find in typical sausage. I’m guessing he mixed regular pork and fat in with the wild hog.

I am curious, why that is? Is it just that they eat anything and everything?

They aren’t castrated usually and even the females are packed with hormones which cause some strong musky flavors. On some of the big hunting ranches in Florida, Georgia and Texas they actively manage their “wild” boar population by trapping as many as they can and then lopping their balls off. Then they don’t develop the big tusks and big humpback shoulder “shield” of fat and muscle but they get marbled meat and stay mostly musky funk free. I’ll see if I can find a video on it.

Regular boar hunters typically only take the two loin straps and two hams from uncastrated males and already brooded females. Meanwhile from castrated males and young females they’ll harvest either everything or add the belly, ribs and picnics to the loinstraps and hams as their fat isn’t gross tasting.

I remember when I was a kid, probably 12ish years old, we were at a friend’s farm and out of the brush wanders this skanky looking pig. It was a boar that had escaped a few months back and he just kind of hung around the farm eating acorns and spilled grain. A few years later, I was at the same friend’s house having a pork chop and I thought of that pig and asked “whatever happened to it?” Turns out we were eating him. That skanky pig turned out a damn good pork chop.

I’ve had actual wild pig once. It was a pork chop and didn’t look like a typical pork chop, as it was smaller and the bone seemed to be less robust. It was chargrilled and had a jalapeño and plum glaze put on it after it came off the flames. Had a gamey taste that was mellowed a bit by the sauce. Paired well with garlic mashed potatoes and whatever red wine was picked by my friend, who pretty much only cooks and eats wild protein. It was actually a great meal, hope he makes it for me again someday.

And now that I think about it, I had some wild pig andouille sausage that was homemade by a coonass who running a crawfish boil. That was very good too. Tasted like regular good andouille, except the texture was courser with larger chunks of lean meat in a matrix of softer meat like you’d find in typical sausage. I’m guessing he mixed regular pork and fat in with the wild hog.

Yeah, typically you would mix farmed pig or beef fat even into a “game” sausage because most wild game has fat that takes on the funkiest of flavors. And that’s definitely true of wild hogs as they develop “boar taint” quicker than domesticated breeds. It doesn’t help that most wild boar in America were from Spanish breed stocks as they tend to develop “boar taint” sooner than most of the English breeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT