ADVERTISEMENT

I’m proud of the Iowa girls

HawkFan1986

HR MVP
Mar 26, 2019
Iowa
There has been a lot of posts about how poorly the game was officiated, and the actions that happened after and in the closing minutes of yesterdays game. Rightfully so. Yesterdays game has turned into a lightning rod, presumably about everything other than basketball. I want to take a few minutes to express my gratitude for this team.

The previous two years, prior to this year, I watched parts of two of three games a year. I’d watch the highlights, and was obviously aware of Caitlin. It was clear that she was a special talent, and I was proud that she played for Iowa. That we got to call her one of our own. A home state girl, making national headlines for her extraordinary play.

This year things changed for me and I wound up watching 8 or so full games before tournament play. I began to like this team, and looked forward to their next game.

Then the Indiana game happened. Caitlin hit the game winning shot, celebrated, and ran to the scorers table and lifted her arms in the air. In an interview she said she knew it was money. I loved her confidence and I was completely converted from a part time Caitlin fan, to a full time Iowa women’s b ball team. I loved “pretty eyes” shot, Monica’s efficiency, and Kate Martins leadership. You could tell this team loved one another, they played the right way.

The tournament run was amazing. Clarks 40 point triple double was phenomenal to watch. When the South Carolina game came up, I thought Iowa had a 20% chance to win, and a chance they would get blown out. 5 minutes into the game my opinion changed and it was clear that I was more scared of South Carolina than Iowa was. They played so hard that game that I was extremely proud of their effort. Win or lose, they proved what Iowa tough means. Their effort did this state proud.

Yesterdays loss sucked. I believed Coach Bluder when she said it was their destiny.

Basketball happens, players get hot from the floor, refs make bad calls, and yesterday wasn’t in the cards for our women.

Despite the loss, I can honestly say that Iowa women’s b ball has a new fan in me. Next year will be appointment viewing for me. I will watch every game I can and I plan to bring my nieces to as many home games as possible. This team completely won me over, and how they handled yesterdays loss just strengthened my resolve.

I’m so proud of these girls. What they did for this state and themselves was historic. I can’t wait till next season starts, and I can’t think of a better team or person for my nieces to emulate than Caitlin Clark and the Iowa women’s basketball team. Caitlin said yesterday she wanted her legacy to be about influencing kids, I have no doubt she’ll get her wish.

Thank you Hawks!

Great post, 86. Couldn't agree more. Count me in too.

And when a women's basketball team starts winning over WRESTLING fans like us, they've really done something!;)
Ain’t that the truth. Haha.

I’ve never really been a round ball fan before. I’ll root for Iowas success of course, but I’ve never been as active of a fan as I have the past two months following this women’s team. I’m all in on them now.

It was an amazing run and I don’t want the post game histrionics to overshadow what this team did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT