ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't think Patrick looked well tonight

So Patrick got yelled at, and because he has mental health issues and is therefore not mentally tough, he went to the locker room? That's your take?
No, PMac just played consecutive very unproductive minutes, he got yelled at, he left the bench.

pmac was not happy with his play, Fran wasn’t happy his play, PMac left the bench

what I’m saying is that the portal may be the best for all parties,

I'm a parent and my kids have to use the bathroom. Usually right in the middle of trying to do something. Also I hope most parents don't identify with the screaming at kids part.
20 yo kids that have been playing BB their entire life know to go the bathroom before the game at half time

He played poorly, was yelled at, left the bench
he did not leave to go pee,

Reactions: icwesthawk
Patrick needs to be used very sparingly if at all right now. We are playing well, he is not and it's understandable. The real problem is that he is taking time from guys that need to play. Short spurts if at all from here on out.
frankly I’m surprised PMac came back so quickly
usually these anxiety issues in elite sports take many weeks or many months to resolve, not many days.

True. Except, again, the Hawks beat a good team by 16. They just beat another good team last week. I guess they could have beaten NW by 30 without this terrible distraction?
Lol, I wasn't insinuating that the actual act of walking down the tunnel was going to distract the rest of the teams attention in real time and they would all of a sudden start missing shots.

Mixing team and family dynamics can obviously potentially lead to friction and resentment when not everyone has to follow the same rules. Then throw a mental problem into the mix and it could get weird for the others.

Im not saying I know anything specific only that it looked bad and I hope it doesn't continue.

I won't even pretend to guess what might be going on in Patrick's head. Maybe some new medication is messing with him. I do know, when they showed the close up of him when he was shooting his FT's, he looked like death warmed over. For my part, if he needs to call it quits or take another extended break, it's fine with me. He has to do what's best for himself.

Over the last couple weeks we are generally seeing great basketball from the team. Instead of talking about Rebraca's tenacity and some of the freak plays from Sandfort, we're hearing speculation about Bowen and PMAC. Enjoy it as a basketball game, it's not an episode of Days of Our Lives.

Call me NUTS, but isnt it at all possible that Pat was getting overwhelmed after some sloppy play and Fran simply told Patrick to go take a breather away from everyone and come back?

We are talking about a player who walked to the locker room for a few minutes. Happens all the time. We won't know if it was a big deal or not until Saturday rolls around and we do/don't see Patrick on the court.

you are trying too hard to make something out of nothing
I would say others are trying to make something out of nothing (him quickly going to the locker room & coming back a couple minutes later...tv showed Fran talking to him - maybe he yelled before, but tv didn't show it, and then PM going to the locker room & then coming back shortly later & him seemingly having a good time cheering on his teammates down the stretch). But we have all sorts of people making wild speculations on what happened & how PM's mental health is doing (even some who believe based on that little bit of info that he should probably transfer now) when it could be something as simple as he had to go to the bathroom is all...

Did Patrick ever say his anxiety was tied to the game basketball? The cause of his anxiety may not have anything at all to do with the game itself, but factors outside, such as sleep. Ever try to function if you can't sleep? Now try playing the game where so many criticize his every action. His father yelling at him is way, way down the list of any potential problems. It's beyond ridiculous some of the accusations/assumptions that are being made. Nobody but his family knows and even then it can be tricky. The game is more than likely his "safe place."

P.S. - And I thought Fran never yelled at his kids? Now he's just a horrible father. Just fascinating.
Or school/classes may be making him anxious.

Did Patrick ever say his anxiety was tied to the game basketball? The cause of his anxiety may not have anything at all to do with the game itself, but factors outside, such as sleep. Ever try to function if you can't sleep? Now try playing the game where so many criticize his every action. His father yelling at him is way, way down the list of any potential problems. It's beyond ridiculous some of the accusations/assumptions that are being made. Nobody but his family knows and even then it can be tricky. The game is more than likely his "safe place."

P.S. - And I thought Fran never yelled at his kids? Now he's just a horrible father. Just fascinating.
I believe that he did, or at least social media and the expectations on his play. Also Fran and Cmac get into it plenty, but he has a different makeup. He often gives it right back to him....

Noticed after he came back from the tunnel and sat down he didn’t even move after a PS 3. Other players were jumping around but Pat just sat there.

• Wow
Reactions: KcTo
I believe that he did, or at least social media and the expectations on his play. Also Fran and Cmac get into it plenty, but he has a different makeup. He often gives it right back to him....
My comment about Fran yelling at his kids was sarcasm - directed at those who think he's so much easier on them.

Reactions: iahawks10
frankly I’m surprised PMac came back so quickly
usually these anxiety issues in elite sports take many weeks or many months to resolve, not many days.
I agree. Anxiety can take a long time to pass. Does anyone really know what he's going through? Counseling, love, and understanding goes a long way. I'm sure he's getting that, and with some time, he'll get it sorted out. In the meantime, we can all pull for him to get through it.

JuI would say others are trying to make something out of nothing (him quickly going to the locker room & coming back a couple minutes later...tv showed Fran talking to him - maybe he yelled before, but tv didn't show it, and then PM going to the locker room & then coming back shortly later & him seemingly having a good time cheering on his teammates down the stretch). But we have all sorts of people making wild speculations on what happened & how PM's mental health is doing (even some who believe based on that little bit of info that he should probably transfer now) when it could be something as simple as he had to go to the bathroom is all...
I didn't see it but a friend thought he saw a tear from Fran when he said something to PM just before he went to the tunnel.

Reactions: Ree4
I agree. Anxiety can take a long time to pass. Does anyone really know what he's going through? Counseling, love, and understanding goes a long way. I'm sure he's getting that, and with some time, he'll get it sorted out. In the meantime, we can all pull for him to get through it.
i recall several MLB pitchers Zach Greinke and Danny Duffy each took +6 months off from MLB teams to address their anxiety issues, and there have been others, but all cases were multiple months nit multiple days before they began competing. 100% agree that nobody is berating him here.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
You could tell very early on he wasn’t in it mentally. I even texted my friends. He didn’t look right from the start. It’s a journey and a frustrating one at that. Sometimes you think you’re good and it’s gone and the next second it’s back.

i recall several MLB pitchers Zach Greinke and Danny Duffy each took +6 months off from MLB teams to address their anxiety issues, and there have been others, but all cases were multiple months nit multiple days before they began competing. 100% agree that nobody is berating him here.
I've been through anxiety and depression, albeit several years ago, and it took a long time to pass. I was medicated with the usual Anti-Depressants and other medications. Didn't help. May have made it worse as a matter of fact. Been through all the counseling and such as well. Got a ton of love and support from my wife, co-workers, and friends. Didn't help much, believe it or not, but nonetheless they were there for me.
When I went through it, I felt like most others, that I was alone in this. It's a terrible feeling for sure. It even progressed into Agoraphobia. I was scared to leave my house. The counseling and medications continued.
Over time, I realized what the problem was (For Me). After a traumatic experience, the focus shifted from the event to ME. After the event, I had no control over how bad I felt and it just became worse over time as the entirety of the experience became my focus and continued to worsen. Once I began to take the focus off of myself, and place it back where it belonged (Not me), I got better as time went on, and for me it took months as you've said.

I've been through anxiety and depression, albeit several years ago, and it took a long time to pass. I was medicated with the usual Anti-Depressants and other medications. Didn't help. May have made it worse as a matter of fact. Been through all the counseling and such as well. Got a ton of love and support from my wife, co-workers, and friends. Didn't help much, believe it or not, but nonetheless they were there for me.
When I went through it, I felt like most others, that I was alone in this. It's a terrible feeling for sure. It even progressed into Agoraphobia. I was scared to leave my house. The counseling and medications continued.
Over time, I realized what the problem was (For Me). After a traumatic experience, the focus shifted from the event to ME. After the event, I had no control over how bad I felt and it just became worse over time as the entirety of the experience became my focus and continued to worsen. Once I began to take the focus off of myself, and place it back where it belonged (Not me), I got better as time went on, and for me it took months as you've said.
Thank you for sharing, quite the journey, there’s I’m sure many factors going on in this condition thta outsiders don’t see or can’t understand

did counseling recommend you quit watching the Iowa football team‘s offense? 😉

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that the team has been on a winning streak since his absence. Tonight was just the right amount of minutes for him. I've never understood why he plays so much. He seems like a nice kid.
Paul Harvey here for “The Rest of the story”
  • IOWA loses 3 in row, EIU, @NE (both favored) then drubbed at PSU.
  • Heavy National media criticism ensued, dropping out of NCAA field.
  • PMac leaves team
  • IOWA wins 4 consecutive games, plays best ball of year.
  • Iowa loses @tOSU and @MSU (IOWA was aggregated underdogs)
  • PMac returns for RU and NU homes games (where IOWA was favored)
I don’t believe it’s coincidence

I also believe Patrick is a great kid, bern thru more than most of us, and wish him all the very best

No, PMac just played consecutive very unproductive minutes, he got yelled at, he left the bench.

pmac was not happy with his play, Fran wasn’t happy his play, PMac left the bench

We seem to disagree on a lot, and your speculation based on what is in your brain is not useful and usually is off base. Patrick will quit BB before he transfers. He had a good game against Rutgers. He had a lousy game last night. Only he and probably Fran know why he went to the locker room.

I've had an anxiety disorder for 20 years plus. I get the agoraphobia thing to. Meds and counseling are the only solution that has helped me. I hope Patrick can get passed this as you did. Definitely not an enjoyable thing to battle.

We seem to disagree on a lot, and your speculation based on what is in your brain is not useful and usually is off base. Patrick will quit BB before he transfers. He had a good game against Rutgers. He had a lousy game last night. Only he and probably Fran know why he went to the locker room.
I would agree. I see no way he transfers.

The portal would, at least, give him a fresh start.

The portal would, at least, give him a fresh start.
Agree
  • a fresh start
  • change of scenery
  • not having the implicit pressure and criticism that comes from playing for Dad
wondering where we be good landing spots?

missouri?
creighton?
notre dame?
Kansas State?

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
I’d it’s Probably time you rethink your thinking…

nobody said he’s going to transfer, only that there Is good argument to consider it…

I've had an anxiety disorder for 20 years plus. I get the agoraphobia thing to. Meds and counseling are the only solution that has helped me. I hope Patrick can get passed this as you did. Definitely not an enjoyable thing to battle.
Unless it happens to you, it's hard to understand, isn't it? When I look back to what I felt during that time, I say to myself that, I wish I'd known then what I do now about shifting the focus of myself and MY woes to anything but those. It took a Psychologist to point that out to me.

Hang in there. You have my thoughts and prayers!

Over the last couple weeks we are generally seeing great basketball from the team. Instead of talking about Rebraca's tenacity and some of the freak plays from Sandfort, we're hearing speculation about Bowen and PMAC. Enjoy it as a basketball game, it's not an episode of Days of Our Lives.
Harder to make rash negative posts after victories so posters need to find something to use their armchair knowledge on.

20 yo kids that have been playing BB their entire life know to go the bathroom before the game at half time

He played poorly, was yelled at, left the bench
he did not leave to go pee,
While I would generally agree didn't a certain Celtics player do just that on the court awhile ago?

Paul Harvey here for “The Rest of the story”
  • IOWA loses 3 in row, EIU, @NE (both favored) then drubbed at PSU.
  • Heavy National media criticism ensued, dropping out of NCAA field.
  • PMac leaves team
  • IOWA wins 4 consecutive games, plays best ball of year.
  • Iowa loses @tOSU and @MSU (IOWA was aggregated underdogs)
  • PMac returns for RU and NU homes games (where IOWA was favored)
I don’t believe it’s coincidence
I lean more towards coincidence.

In your list above, replace "PMAC leaves team" with "All players and coaches have a "come-to-Jesus moment, realizing they need to get their sh*t together"

• Wow
Reactions: rrsteffe and KcTo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT