ADVERTISEMENT

I don't care what anybody says - I'm looking forward to next year.

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
I'm aware of all the issues...but I can't help but be hopeful about next year. And nobody can deny that the Hawks aquitted themselves well at the very end. 4-14 does not tell a complete story. For the next several months I intend to wear my Hawk colored glasses until November.

I'm aware of all the issues...but I can't help but be hopeful about next year. And nobody can deny that the Hawks aquitted themselves well at the very end. 4-14 does not tell a complete story. For the next several months I intend to wear my Hawk colored glasses until November.
If the key players stick around and if Fran would not play all 13 guys all the time then I agree with you. I’m excited to see Weiskamp

Same. I love Iowa basketball and don’t do the bandwagon thing. Too each their own, but IF the core remains intact, this team can make a big jump next year.

I always look forward to Iowa hoops. Even when Lick was coach (now that is fan support).....Looking forward to seeing what the team looks like. I sure hope Fran can get them going. I also hope some changes are made to Carver to get a better home environment. As always. Go hawks!

Get another PG and I'm with u bean.

But we HAVE another PG in Connor. I think he will make a big difference. If Fran can get a lightning quick, waterbug grad transfer point guard, I'm sure he will take him, but they don't grow on trees and many, many other teams are looking for the same thing.

I just want to see improvement on defense next year. I still don't think that Iowa took 1 charge this year which if stats were taken, has to lead college basketball for all the wrong reasons.
Defense is the heart of college basketball and without it, there is no success that leads to post season.

Generally speaking, when do player transfers generally get announced? I believe a couple of these guys are probably going to leave early or be asked to move on. As previously stated, I think they could see some huge improvements if an experienced point guard could be added along with Wieskamp.

I believe the future is brighter at the very least. Honestly, not kool-aid talking either.

Wieskamp, Frederick and Conner hopefully being healthy - if you think about it they should slot in at the 3 (maybe a bit of 2), 2 and point/2 on the floor - which is exactly what this team needs.

I fully understand, they'll all be frosh. They don't need to be all-worldly but contribute competent ball handling and overall consistency. Then combine that with every returnee being 1 more year experienced - things will improve.

I'm more curious if there is anybody transferring than anything else...sure, there are a few "redundant pieces" - but sometimes players quite frankly deserve to ride the pine assuming they don't leave.

Reactions: NI hawk
But we HAVE another PG in Connor. I think he will make a big difference. If Fran can get a lightning quick, waterbug grad transfer point guard, I'm sure he will take him, but they don't grow on trees and many, many other teams are looking for the same thing.

aQpOEzM.gif

Generally speaking, when do player transfers generally get announced? I believe a couple of these guys are probably going to leave early or be asked to move on. As previously stated, I think they could see some huge improvements if an experienced point guard could be added along with Wieskamp.

Early April usually.

Reactions: Hammer93
Iowa started 3 sophs and 2 frosh in NYC. There is good reason to be optimistic.

Front court looks solid but Bohannon needs some help.

I never would have predicted that Baer would regress so significantly. Hawks need B10 6th man POY back next season.

I never would have predicted that Baer would regress so significantly.

I don't think Baer regressed so much as he simply got promoted beyond his comfort zone.... We need enough talent in front of him so that he can go back to solid 6th man status.....

Reactions: nu2u
If he doesn't want to stay and help the team get better then he is a big part of the problem and needs to go. I really hope he wants to be a Hawk.
Sounds like he doesn't know if he will be back. What a dick to ask about him maybe transferring 10 minutes after the game

Iowa started 3 sophs and 2 frosh in NYC. There is good reason to be optimistic.

Front court looks solid but Bohannon needs some help.

I never would have predicted that Baer would regress so significantly. Hawks need B10 6th man POY back next season.

Did he regress or had he just hit his ceiling?

Love the optimism Bean. Small quibble but 4-14 really does tell the story. The Big Ten was not very good and the only teams Iowa beat all year in league were Illinois (twice), Minnesota, Wisconsin and Northwestern. No one above the 9 seed. Literally every good team Iowa played this year they lost to (with some other losses to not good teams). Iowa had some injuries (backup PG Conor McCaffery all year and Kriener for a few games) and an unexpected transfer (Williams), but compared to most teams that is not a lot.

Michigan is a very good team and Iowa took them to OT. Wolverines may very well make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. If Iowa plays with anywhere close to that level of effort on defense and sharing the ball on offense consistently this year, Iowa is easily above .500 in conference. That falls really on the coaches for not doing whatever was needed to get the team to do that more than today. The future I would call semi-optimistic. Majority of the team is young, so improvement is reasonably expected. And Wieskamp will make them better. But nothing will get much better if the team does not buy in on defense.

Most coaching staffs have a one on one meeting about a week after the season. That’s when the transfers really start happening.

Anyone who thought this was more than a rebuilding year was completely wrong from the beginning. I have no problem with this team or coach. Really looking forward to next year.

Ask me after the dust settles from roster changes. But, if the top eight players in my opinion (JB, TC, JN, IM, MD, RK, AW, LG) with Joe W and CM, then I agree Hawks will be better. But, too early to tell about next year.

I share the optimism. Iowa wins with juniors and seniors. Over the course of the season we had two juniors play significant minutes and neither was even a full time starter.

Every significant player is back and we're trading Dom Uhl's scholly for the Rivals 42/ESPN 71 at the weakest position-the guard other than Bohannon. Conner McC adds to the weakest spot on the team as well (the guards other than Bohannon). We're probably trading Brady's schollie for this Frederick kid. CJ might be another Brady, but at least coming in he's a higher ranked recruit with better offers and an inch taller. I couldn't find his stats but he has some very nice highlights, especially handling the ball. Who knows, its another possible shooter. Dailey improved a great deal over the season. Moss is a catastrophe in the clutch and very inconsistent; but he too is still developing. His time will be pushed hard by Joe W and Connor McC.

Garza, Cook and Bohannon will improve and all three will get All Big Ten recognition of some kind next year. If Cook picks up some defensive awareness, blocks out a little better and shoots a little better from the line he will have 1st team Big Ten numbers. Lots of highlight dunks.

Pemsyl and Nunge should just play the minutes Cook cannot. They're decent players but Cook is much better and should rarely be off the floor. Kreiner gives quality minutes behind Garza but Garza should also play very heavy minutes-he's going to be a monster. Wagner is by far the best defender and Baer's obviously better off the bench.

Learn to get a few more stops, especially to kill runs and add another reliable outside shooter and this team is 8 or more wins better. Cut down a little on the 3s. As I've said the 2017-2018 Hawks were less than the sum of its parts. The parts get better and more mature next year. What is is not always what will be.

The 1st part of the following tweet where he says "I wouldn't describe the season in a negative way," tells me everything I need to know about Fran. It is plain as day to me that Fran doesn't give two shits about being any better than humiliatingly horrible. To be successful in sports you have to HATE losing more than you LIKE winning. And that needs to start at the top with the coach. And clearly that isn't present with Fran. We won't be going anywhere anytime soon as long as he is the coach. So look forward to more seasons like this one under Fran because they will be present for the distant future

The 1st part of the following tweet where he says "I wouldn't describe the season in a negative way," tells me everything I need to know about Fran. It is plain as day to me that Fran doesn't give two shits about being any better than humiliatingly horrible. To be successful in sports you have to HATE losing more than you LIKE winning. And that needs to start at the top with the coach. And clearly that isn't present with Fran. We won't be going anywhere anytime soon as long as he is the coach. So look forward to more seasons like this one under Fran because they will be present for the distant future
That is a disturbing perspective from a coach of a team after a very, very lackluster year.

Last edited:
Anyone who thought this was more than a rebuilding year was completely wrong from the beginning. I have no problem with this team or coach. Really looking forward to next year.

I'm sure that was your position in August as well as October. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

That's how I interpreted it at least

I would think the one thing EVERYONE would agree on is that Fran is one hell of competitor who hates to lose. THAT has always been evident to me. Second guess his recruiting, x and o's, substitution pattern, defensive coaching, or his taste in suits all you want but Fran is a competitor.

Reactions: perryhawk

Yep. These guys had some BIG advances in defensive efficiency late in the season.
At times, watching this team on D was painful; there were marked improvements. They also started looking like a team that was learning to recognize defensive schemes and exploiting them to get open shots.

Seems like every game or so, another player would step up and put in some meaningful minutes, but we just had too many mental lapses to get over the hump.

I think they got 'over the hump' the past few games, and hopefully that's a plateau we start from next year.

Uhl played very few minutes the whole season and team play won't likely be affected with his absence. We gain Connor McCaffrey and Joe Weiskamp (and we NEED some guard play to take the pressure off Bohannon so he can shoot - he should ideally be a shooting guard not a PG).

Reactions: unoHawkeye

This must be you hawkeye bb n fb fan as the response was just copied and pasted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT