ADVERTISEMENT

I hope SP blows the doors out this season

I don't know if that is a true statement. Many posters here want the 2nd or 3rd string QB to start.
There have been some pretty harsh statements made about Spence. A lot of his struggles has not totally been his fault.
Me not being one of them.

He has not been good a lot of the time, not sure what you've been watching...or smoking😮

I'd rather have a much improved O line and the same SP than a much improved SP and the same O line.
We had a much improved O line in the Citrus Bowl and SP lost that game practically single-handedly.

Make no mistake - even with an improved OL, Iowa's QB play has got to improve drastically if they want to compete for the division championship again.

when I look at Spencer... I see a guy with the "it" factor..
as its been noted many times, he's got an NFL arm..
he's led this team to 12 consecutive victories and he's made big throws in key moments over the past 2 years..

he's done good things... he's had moments of greatness.

and now he's ready to start another streak of 12 straight wins..

of course we all want better... you can say that about every quarterback that's ever played... we always wish they could be a little better..
do a little more.. that's natural.
Petras himself wants to be better... Padilla wants to be better
Labas wants to be better... everybody wants to be better.
its natural

perhaps we as fans need to be a little better too

think about this.. Spencer Petras completed 57.3 % of his passes last season even though he was injured for half the season.
Ricky Stanzi in 2009 completed 56.3 % of his passes.

Spencer Petras is a leader with great character who has battled through adversity the last 2 seasons.. he's taken a beating on the field.. and off the field.. and never waivered in his personality nor his integrity..
nor his commitment to this football team.

he's an outstanding role model both on and off the field.

and the good news is, he's gonna be our quarterback for the next 2 seasons.

I imagine there’s been 10,000 posts on SP alone. Only thing Im certain of is he’s currently in the coaches view our best option for quarterback. He’s going to be the opening game starter.

Might as well be optimistic and hope the o line and Wrs have improved along with SP.

These guys are so young there’s no telling what kind of growth they could potentially see. They all needed significant improvement though. Blocking was bad on the edges in particular, WRs dropped balls, RBs were indecisive at times and yes SP was inaccurate and immobile. All those things need to improve.

as its been noted many times, he's got an NFL arm..
he's led this team to 12 consecutive victories and he's made big throws in key moments over the past 2 years..

he's done good things... he's had moments of greatness.

and now he's ready to start another streak of 12 straight wins..

of course we all want better... you can say that about every quarterback that's ever played... we always wish they could be a little better..
do a little more.. that's natural.
Petras himself wants to be better... Padilla wants to be better
Labas wants to be better... everybody wants to be better.
its natural

perhaps we as fans need to be a little better too

think about this.. Spencer Petras completed 57.3 % of his passes last season even though he was injured for half the season.
Ricky Stanzi in 2009 completed 56.3 % of his passes.

Spencer Petras is a leader with great character who has battled through adversity the last 2 seasons.. he's taken a beating on the field.. and off the field.. and never waivered in his personality nor his integrity..
nor his commitment to this football team.

he's an outstanding role model both on and off the field.

and the good news is, he's gonna be our quarterback for the next 2 seasons.
Huh? What games have you been watching?

R.277577fab707aac7dc567f12baa98d9f

I imagine there’s been 10,000 posts on SP alone. Only thing Im certain of is he’s currently in the coaches view our best option for quarterback. He’s going to be the opening game starter.

Might as well be optimistic and hope the o line and Wrs have improved along with SP.

These guys are so young there’s no telling what kind of growth they could potentially see. They all needed significant improvement though. Blocking was bad on the edges in particular, WRs dropped balls, RBs were indecisive at times and yes SP was inaccurate and immobile. All those things need to improve.
I'm really hoping the Williams guys can block. I know some people on this board love Goodson, but there are many times he just downright didn't block and would have a defender blaze past him.

Spencer scored 17 points combined against Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan. Only Michigan ended the season ranked. He was benched vs a Northwestern team that finished 1-8 in conference after throwing the ball in the dirt 5 times. He threw 3 picks in the bowl game, including one on the final drive. His best receiver left the team.

Someone else posted it already - Being heavily critical of SP or wanting to see a different QB start is not the same as wanting to see SP fail. This entire board would be over the moon if he suddenly became Drew Tate '04. What Iowa fans don't want to see is KF letting SP go down with the ship. There is absolutely no advantage to the team to keep SP in there if he is struggling and losing games.
I can agree some to your post but in my opinion after seeing some posts here there are some that don't give a flip here about Spence and would rather see him fail so their favorite QB is playing just to be right in their own mind
so to speak.

Spencer scored 17 points combined against Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan. Only Michigan ended the season ranked. He was benched vs a Northwestern team that finished 1-8 in conference after throwing the ball in the dirt 5 times. He threw 3 picks in the bowl game, including one on the final drive. His best receiver left the team.
So... glass half empty?

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
I can agree some to your post but in my opinion after seeing some posts here there are some that don't give a flip here about Spence and would rather see him fail so their favorite QB is playing just to be right in their own mind
so to speak.
You are cra cra... You think people would rather watch SP fail lose B10 West just in spite of him? That is some crazy thoughts there. He is a nice guy so how could you not like him. The bitterness is with the coaching personnel and not SP. He's not the one making these decisions. Oh and by the way, if he plays like Drew Tate I will eat as much crow as you can serve! Would love to see it and don't care which QB it is but want another Tate playing behind Center. He was a magician at eluding pressure and making a play. True competitor with grit!

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Petras has limitations that make him look worse than he is. If he could run, even get back to line of scrimmage run, he'd be much more accepted and much better for our offense. Don't blame the kid, blame KF who recruited him, signed him, started him for 3 years. All that said, i think he will be better this season if for no other reason the o-line has to be better.

I think we all hope he has the kind of year that makes us forget last year. But I’m afraid we will all be disappointed.
For Spencer to have that kind of year, he would need circumstances beyond his control to change dramatically. He would need coaches who devise game plans around the offense trying to score rather than moving into better punting position.

You are cra cra... You think people would rather watch SP fail lose B10 West just in spite of him? That is some crazy thoughts there. He is a nice guy so how could you not like him. The bitterness is with the coaching personnel and not SP. He's not the one making these decisions. Oh and by the way, if he plays like Drew Tate I will eat as much crow as you can serve! Would love to see it and don't care which QB it is but want another Tate playing behind Center. He was a magician at eluding pressure and making a play. True competitor with grit!
Not crazy just realistic. As I said, in my opinion some people here would rather see Spence fail so their favorite
choice would be starting. Did not say I did not like him but saying some here because of his play do not like him.
They are not looking at other reasons why his play is not stellar and don't take into account for that. Their favorite for the staring QB would have to deal with the same other reasons and may not do as well as Spence

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
Not crazy just realistic. As I said, in my opinion some people here would rather see Spence fail so their favorite
choice would be starting. Did not say I did not like him but saying some here because of his play do not like him.
They are not looking at other reasons why his play is not stellar and don't take into account for that. heir favorite for the staring QB would have to deal with the same other reasons and may not daa as well as Spence
no, you're exactly right... its the same people that hated Nate Stanley..
I honestly believe that the only reason some of them want somebody other than Spencer Petras is because they want somebody new to sh*t on.

and we all know they will sh*t on the next guy

its the same thing with the Offensive Coordinators
the same people that sh*t on Brian Ferentz.. sh*t on Greg Davis

they're like dogs... they just want a new place to sh*t

I think we all hope he has the kind of year that makes us forget last year. But I’m afraid we will all be disappointed.
For Spencer to have that kind of year, he would need circumstances beyond his control to change dramatically. He would need coaches who devise game plans around the offense trying to score rather than moving into better punting position.
I call it playing not to loose(ball control/no turnover) Ferentz ball.
Patterned after Mr Belecheck

I’m just curious if Padilla and labas are a$$holes? People on here want Petras to succeed because he’s a good guy and team player blah blah blah. Couldn’t you say the same about Padilla? Haven’t heard anything bad about him plus he stayed at iowa to battle for a starting gig. I don’t feel like either qb has shown to be very good. I just hope if one is struggling for a half whoever it is, that they are pulled and the other is put in for the rest of the game.

You do know he was hurt going into the jNW game, right. He tried to go but could not make it work.

KF won't allow him to put up big numbers. And frankly, I think Kirk has shown us what sort of QB he wants to run his offense. Not sure anyone that might replace Petras would fare any better. Also, it must be getting tougher and tougher to convince any hotshot HS QB to take a look at Iowa as a landing spot given what we've shown on the field.

Spencer score 6 points combined against Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I’m just curious if Padilla and labas are a$$holes? People on here want Petras to succeed because he’s a good guy and team player blah blah blah. Couldn’t you say the same about Padilla? Haven’t heard anything bad about him plus he stayed at iowa to battle for a starting gig. I don’t feel like either qb has shown to be very good. I just hope if one is struggling for a half whoever it is, that they are pulled and the other is put in for the rest of the game.
Try reading the OP. The focus was on SP because he's gotten so much heat as he's most in the spotlight, but by all accounts he's a great guy. That doesn't mean Padilla and Labas aren't too.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Try reading the OP. The focus was on SP because he's gotten so much heat as he's most in the spotlight, but by all accounts he's a great guy. That doesn't mean Padilla and Labas aren't too.
Well he gets the heat because he hasn’t performed at a high level. I hope he does better as well but if he doesn’t perform better he gonna continue to get heat. Then I hope the next guy in performs well. If he doesn’t he’s gonna get the heat as well.

Well he gets the heat because he hasn’t performed at a high level. I hope he does better as well but if he doesn’t perform better he gonna continue to get heat. Then I hope the next guy in performs well. If he doesn’t he’s gonna get the heat as well.
Yes, we all know that. The point of this particular thread (and a related one)...was that he's a solid kid and people are pulling for him to break out. If he doesn't/can't let's hope we see someone else get an opportunity.

Yes, we all know that. The point of this particular thread (and a related one)...was that he's a solid kid and people are pulling for him to break out. If he doesn't/can't let's hope we see someone else get an opportunity.
Well we should probably start making similar threads for every backup player. I’m sure most of them are solid kids as well. They just aren’t the best at their positions. Some of them probably came in with high hopes and didn’t live up to those high hopes.

He did? What about the rest of the team bro? I didn’t know Spencer played 1 on 11 vs other teams?

Thinking he is not a very good qb or wanting to give someone else a chance does not mean that person wants Petras to fail. If Petras fails, the Hawks fail. No fan wants that.
This. It's so funny how people (especially those associated with football) take any criticism as people wanting that person to fail. We all know that SP is a good guy and we appreciate that, but based upon on-field performance he hasn't been all that good. If SP is truly the best option and this year it all finally comes together (after 2 years of being the starter) and the offense starts moving along ALL of us will be happy and criticism will be replaced by praise.

part of that "sample size" includes Petras being injured half way through the season in 2021... and limited in 2020...
even being limited in 2020, Spencer Petras had the 2nd best Offense in the Big Ten.. and led the Hawkeyes to 12 straight wins from 2020 - 2021

I don't think you all are being fair

you all want to be critical, thats fine.. but if you don't admit the good things he's done... you're not being honest

part of that "sample size" includes Petras being injured half way through the season in 2021... and limited in 2020...
even being limited in 2020, Spencer Petras had the 2nd best Offense in the Big Ten.. and led the Hawkeyes to 12 straight wins from 2020 - 2021

I don't think you all are being fair

you all want to be critical, thats fine.. but if you don't admit the good things he's done... you're not being honest
Pretty sure the defense led them to 12 straight wins. A legally blind person could have been the quarterback and still won most of those games.

Pretty sure the defense led them to 12 straight wins. A legally blind person could have been the quarterback and still won most of those games.
Petras was the Quarterback of the team that went 6-2 in 2020. To what degree he "led" them there is up for debate. The defense was #1 in the Nation in passes intercepted, 3rd in total turnovers, 7th in TDs scored and 13th in scoring defense. I'd say they did a lot of the "leading".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT