ADVERTISEMENT

I think only Kirk and Beth know

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I have seen names being thrown around and various scenariod for over a week now and I don't think anybody other than a couple people have a clue who our next OC will be. I would think something will be announced before early signing day and the portal shutting down, but who knows how this will end up.

In the end - will fans disappointed, giddy about the hire or scratching their heads? I remember when Kirk was hired and he took forever to announce his new DC (Norm Parker), everybody was saying who is this guy. Could that happen again?

We will all know sooner rhan later.

I’m thinking KF won’t announce new OC until after bowl game. In his mind announcing before then would disrespect BF.
If he does wait, I don’t think it would have much to do with Brian, but more about Kirk’s methodical nature. That’s the way he’s been with every coach he’s ever hired. He’s never been in a hurry.

This “OMG, we need to get someone hired fast because recruiting!” mentality that fans and pundits have is completely lost on Kirk.

Last edited:
Thinking he will hand over the position with full autonomy is pretty much saying the offensive shortfalls were cause of Brian and not him. If they were on KF then its admitting he held his son back or didn't trust him. All that said, the person who takes the next job knows and will be restrained by KF. IMO, if he didnt let his son do his own thing and caused him to be the worst OC in the country then he wont let anyone do their own thing.

Reactions: Garzatough85
If he does wait, I don’t think it would have much to do with Brian, but more about Kirk’s methodical nature. That’s the way he’s been with every coach he’s ever hired. He’s never been in a hurry.

This “OMG, we need to get someone hired fast because recruiting!” mentality that fans and pundits have is completely lost on Kirk.
I like your thinking, I could be wrong but I feel most if our commits on O's best offer is Iowa. Reality is next year will be a "prove it year" when it come to recruiting and portal on the Offensive side of the ball.

I have seen names being thrown around and various scenariod for over a week now and I don't think anybody other than a couple people have a clue who our next OC will be. I would think something will be announced before early signing day and the portal shutting down, but who knows how this will end up.

In the end - will fans disappointed, giddy about the hire or scratching their heads? I remember when Kirk was hired and he took forever to announce his new DC (Norm Parker), everybody was saying who is this guy. Could that happen again?

And 25+ years ago when Kirk was hired it was "Who is this guy" and there was no internet to have soooo many football gurus available on internet fan boards. It was a totally different time back then for college sports news and rumors

Depends on if there are guys he wants to meet with that cannot meet until later due to restrictions. They should not rush it to just have anybody in place by December 19. This is for the long haul, so do it right even if it takes another 6 weeks.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
So if Kirk were to want to talk formally with Washington's OC do you really think he is gonna drop the CFP and come here to interview??? NFW. You wait to hire if anyone like that has stuff going on or can't talk formally now.

So if Kirk were to want to talk formally with Washington's OC do you really think he is gonna drop the CFP and come here to interview??? NFW. You wait to hire if anyone like that has stuff going on or can't talk formally now.
Not saying we would be talking to the Washington OC (Grubb), but you absolutely do start talking with potential candidates before their seasons are over. Happens all the time -- at least the preliminary conversations between agents.

Reactions: Gus is dead
It’s to avoid disrespecting PC. Who I believe is heavily involved in Texas’ CFP preparation: and to make sure over the next few weeks an attractive HC opportunity doesn’t materialize for PC.

To be announced after the bowl game.
To be honest, I have no problem with that. Brian, however much disdain we have for him, doesn't need to be dealing with all the hubbub on PC replacing him. Let him have his one more game and clean out the snacks from his desk in peace.

To be announced after the bowl game.
To be honest, I have no problem with that. Brian, however much disdain we have for him, doesn't need to be dealing with all the hubbub on PC replacing him. Let him have his one more game and clean out the snacks from his desk in peace.
snacks? did somebody mention snacks?

• Haha
Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Thinking the new OC will impact recruiting this year is sort of off base IMO. We already are at or over the limit and MAYBE will have a couple transfers out that open a couple of spots, but that is it for this year.
It could impact portal, more impactful on 2024 commits.

Thinking he will hand over the position with full autonomy is pretty much saying the offensive shortfalls were cause of Brian and not him. If they were on KF then its admitting he held his son back or didn't trust him. All that said, the person who takes the next job knows and will be restrained by KF. IMO, if he didnt let his son do his own thing and caused him to be the worst OC in the country then he wont let anyone do their own thing.
KF is the HC. He is responsible for everything.

But, was it KF "restraining" the offense that could barely complete a pass? Or block? Did he refuse to let them practice?

The offense the last two years couldn't do anything well. Complete lack of execution. That's on the OC and other coaches on the offense. And, yes, KF is responsible for hiring them.

KF id not going to give any coordinator complete autonomy.

Reactions: JLDHAWK

Norm had the best defenses in the SEC at freaking Vanderbilt while a guy named Bob Stoops was DC at Florida. If someone didn’t know who Norm Parker was, it’s probably because they didn’t pay attention to CFB outside the Big Ten. Norm was a very known commodity.

Norm had the best defenses in the SEC at freaking Vanderbilt while a guy named Bob Stoops was DC at Florida. If someone didn’t know who Norm Parker was, it’s probably because they didn’t pay attention to CFB outside the Big Ten. Norm was a very known commodity.
Yeah, sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name …

cheers-norm-cheers.gif

To the haters if the new hire is a success then thank you beth but if the new hire is a flop then it's Kirks fault.
I am not sure how much lower the offense could go.

Not get a single first down entire game ?
<20% completion percentage ???

Brian took this offense to the depths. Even if the new OC is a bad hire there’s a very good chance they still perform better than Brian

Any smoke to the rumor that our ol pal Frosty from NE got an interview? Please this can't be true??!!
How would you guys feel about frost taking the offensive coordinator position, could you look past the fact that he is Scott frost if you thought it would make the hawks better, or would you be upset regardless of how well you thought he could do?

Thinking he will hand over the position with full autonomy is pretty much saying the offensive shortfalls were cause of Brian and not him. If they were on KF then it’s admitting he held his son back or didn't trust him. All that said, the person who takes the next job knows and will be restrained by KF. IMO, if he didnt let his son do his own thing and caused him to be the worst OC in the country then he wont let anyone do their own thing.
Okeefe part 1 seems like the last OC that had at least some autonomy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT