ADVERTISEMENT

I will be shocked if Labas plays a single down for Iowa again.

archmage2002

HR All-American
Sep 8, 2002
1) Found out that Labas is indeed a huge pothead and only gives a token effort to hide it from the coaches. Strike 1 under Kirk Ferentz.
2) Smoking weed isn't his biggest offense though because I also found out Labas has been choosing what team meetings he goes to. Under Kirk that is a cardinal sin, strike 2 and 3.

The disciplined family culture that Ferentz has built at Iowa has little tolerance for skipping team meetings and even though Kirk Ferentz knows his players smoke weed you don't wave that red flag in front of his face like Labas did. Skipping team meetings is not something that Kirk will tolerate, especially for a QB who is expected to lead the offense, and combined with his weed I think Kirk is having flashbacks of DJK.

My best guess is Labas will transfer at the end of the year, though I am surprised he hasn't entered the portal now.

Of course. He knows that Hill will be the backup next year. kF all but assured this with his comments about looking forward to getting Hill more physically fit in the offseason.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Excited App GIF by Yac

If he's that far into the dog house why does he always stay #2 on the depth chart?

I couldn’t tell you what the depth chart looks like on paper, but in pre game reps/drills/warm up, Labas takes as many reps as Poholsky does, which is not many. Lainez has been taking close to the number of reps Hill does. Hill goes first, then Lainez.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Did the missed meetings stuff start to happen during this season? I guess I have a little more understanding if he was a model teammate up until this point in time. It would be pretty hard to watch Hill continue to trot out there week after week and know you couldn't get a shot. Why waste your time going to meetings when you know you're never going to get a chance anyway?

Labas is history, dope or not. Wish him well. Hill actually played a pretty good game on Saturday. I’m feeling kinda optimistic on the offensive side.
I think we turned a corner. I think this group is gelling with all of the adversity they have been through.
Watch us win the Big championship. 😆
I actually might not be shocked. Lmao.
We do the Ohio State at Iowa 2017 thing in the Big Championship. 41-17 Iowa over Michigan or Ohio State. 4 picks, receivers with glue on their hands, Cooper 2 punt returns for tds, 240 yards rushing, Deacon 19-26 287 3tds no int.
That would be so Kirk! Lol

Last edited:
No idea if true or not but if it’s true why has Kirk not kicked him off the team?
When has Kirk ever kicked a kid off the team in the middle of a season? It's not his style. He would wait for the season to end and then "strongly encourage" him to transfer. Even then, he wouldn't say anything negative about the player publicly

When has Kirk ever kicked a kid off the team in the middle of a season? It's not his style. He would wait for the season to end and then "strongly encourage" him to transfer. Even then, he wouldn't say anything negative about the player publicly
Kirk kicked Benny Sapp off of the team at the very beginning of the season in 2002. He was one of the most highly touted players on the team at the time.

Was thinking the same thing. Hard to imagine KF would just let him hang on if he’s blatantly smoking weed and missing meetings right and left. That sounds like grounds for immediate dismissal under KF.
Agreed, Kirk runs a tight ship. No way he would allow that.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Prob this. He had LaPorta, Lachey, and 2 pick 6s to bail him out in the bowl game.
His stats in that game were better than any game Deacon has this year until Saturday. I actually wouldn’t doubt if true however and that’s why they went with Deacon as the starter. And yes, I also know Labas had been hurt.

1) Found out that Labas is indeed a huge pothead and only gives a token effort to hide it from the coaches. Strike 1 under Kirk Ferentz.
2) Smoking weed isn't his biggest offense though because I also found out Labas has been choosing what team meetings he goes to. Under Kirk that is a cardinal sin, strike 2 and 3.

The disciplined family culture that Ferentz has built at Iowa has little tolerance for skipping team meetings and even though Kirk Ferentz knows his players smoke weed you don't wave that red flag in front of his face like Labas did. Skipping team meetings is not something that Kirk will tolerate, especially for a QB who is expected to lead the offense, and combined with his weed I think Kirk is having flashbacks of DJK.

My best guess is Labas will transfer at the end of the year, though I am surprised he hasn't entered the portal now.
I don’t condone that at all, but I am curious if that has been the case all season or more recently over the last several weeks. Nothing crushes a player’s soul like knowing no matter how hard you try or how bad the person in front of you plays, you will never get a shot despite having shown in a bowl game you can compete. I just wonder when these problems began.

Reactions: DewHawk and jhawk23
Was thinking the same thing. Hard to imagine KF would just let him hang on if he’s blatantly smoking weed and missing meetings right and left. That sounds like grounds for immediate dismissal under KF.
The report is bad and in no way am I condoning or excusing such behavior but where was it stated he was BLATANTLY smoking weed and missing meetings RIGHT AND LEFT?
Someone previously reported he smoked weed and missed some meetings but it did not sound like it was blatant or happening frequently.
Again, it is bad but is it now being exaggerated here?
Not that it makes any difference.
just wondering.

Kirk kicked Benny Sapp off of the team at the very beginning of the season in 2002. He was one of the most highly touted players on the team at the time.
Pretty sure he was arrested.......and it wasn't his first issue during his time in the program. I would say the situations weren't the same

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeyes19
My first thought as well.

What message does it send that he's still on the team?
Well, I think the the fact that he hasn't sniffed the field despite Iowa trotting out the worst qb in all of d1 and the fact that he likely won't be a part of the program once the season is over is quite the message.

Reactions: littlez and NI hawk
The missed meetings are not frequent but are those 'optional' varieties that you are strongly encouraged to attend but if you don't go the coaches take notice, especially when the other QBs go to them. Combined with him sometimes smelling like he bathed in weed this put him in Kirk's doghouse.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT