ADVERTISEMENT

I was a Costco member for 38 minutes today ( warning: very long)

I get that we're all different and bothered by different things, but I'm not sure I would have given what was described a second thought, certainly not a story worth retelling, and definitely not going through the process of canceling membership while there.

To me, the worst part of Costco is the popularity. All the customers with massive carts, randomly stopping.
I could have started a political thread instead. Given my view as to why this or that sucks and get everyone bitching at each other.

This is the first time in my adult life I've been taken back by the way an employee talked to me for little reason.

I refuse to join Costco near me because the parking lot jam is the worst thing I’ve ever seen.
I do belong to BJ’s which is based out of New England and has a better layout and a 1,000 times better parking situation.
I also love BJ’s, although some can be much better than others and I’m usually good with whatever parking situation.
Never heard of the store though.

I refuse to join Costco near me because the parking lot jam is the worst thing I’ve ever seen.
I do belong to BJ’s which is based out of New England and has a better layout and a 1,000 times better parking situation.
513-college-station

There were kids all over hell. Lotta big families there yesterday. I can 100% understand some frustration by workers with kids running around like they were, but mine was 2 ft from me at all times, I know this because he played garbage man the entire time. Its funny you mention that because I almost planted a few kids that ran in front of me out of nowhere.
I was there yesterday around 1:30 picking up some gatorade for my son before taking him back to college. It was pretty bonkers there with congestion. I could see some nerves being frayed, but I am sure the store manager would want your feedback so (s)he could correct a problem, if it exists.

A poor? Have you been to Sam’s lately? Ever since the switch to Members Mark deals went away. It’s still great for the tailgate stock up. No bettter place to buy 40lbs of wings and 20 lbs of back ribs
I was kidding. I also have a Sam’s membership for when I don’t want to drive the further distance to Costco. Frequently get gas there.

Reactions: waterboy4582
Unless Iowa recently changed its law's, you do not need a membership to buy booze at Sams or Costco.
Correct. Same for prescriptions and eye exams. (But can’t buy any of the vision products)

You can buy alcohol without a Costco membership, but only in certain states
You can buy alcohol at Costco without a paid membership, as long as you're in an eligible state, like California or New York. Local laws prevent membership-only clubs like Costco or Sam's Club from withholding alcohol sales to the general public. The full list of states includes:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Texas
  • Vermont
Once you've picked out your alcohol and you're in line to pay, let the cashier know that you don't have a membership card, and they'll scan you with a generic membership number. A supervisor may be required, so be patient as you wait to make your purchase.

I was there yesterday around 1:30 picking up some gatorade for my son before taking him back to college. It was pretty bonkers there with congestion. I could see some nerves being frayed, but I am sure the store manager would want your feedback so (s)he could correct a problem, if it exists.
We were there at the same time, well close to anyways. We got there at 1:45.

So customers aren't allowed to have bad experiences? Doesn't sound like OP made a scene. He made one justifiable, passive aggressive comment "it's never ever OK to talk to people that way" and went to the counter to cancel his membership. Despite the fact I love Costco, if that'd been my first experience I might have reconsidered my choice as well. JMO.
Of course they are. I'm just always skeptical of customers nowadays as they often believe they are above the rules that employees are guided by. I'm not suggesting these things didn't happen, as they probably did. I'm just considering the possibility that perhaps the reaction to the enforcement of these rules by the OP and wife might have played a role here. You see it every day.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I could have started a political thread instead. Given my view as to why this or that sucks and get everyone bitching at each other.

This is the first time in my adult life I've been taken back by the way an employee talked to me for little reason.

it wasn't my intent to get you to self censor, this is a good thread, with interesting discussion. I'm just saying that if I experienced what you described, it would never have occurred to me to mention it to anyone. If I kept a diary, this would not have made it into it. But like I said, we're all different, I'm not saying your way is wrong.

Didn't you have a rough experience with some workers at a restaurant last year? Maybe you just notice these types of things and make something more out of them than others do? Again, not wrong, just different.

it wasn't my intent to get you to self censor, this is a good thread, with interesting discussion. I'm just saying that if I experienced what you described, it would never have occurred to me to mention it to anyone. If I kept a diary, this would not have made it into it. But like I said, we're all different, I'm not saying your way is wrong.

Didn't you have a rough experience with some workers at a restaurant last year? Maybe you just notice these types of things and make something more out of them than others do? Again, not wrong, just different.
Nah. I find interesting scenarios far more worthy of discussion than anything political, nice to have a break from those. This thread seems to be doing well. I'd for rather bring those things to the board than what some politicians said what recently. JMO.

The restaurant was interesting, and I've seen quite a few reviews since our time there that accuse them of treating regulars far better and to stay away if you arent one. Which isn't uncommon in smaller tight knit communities, but I'm not gonna tip well for that service.

Nah. I find interesting scenarios far more worthy of discussion than anything political, nice to have a break from those. This thread seems to be doing well. I'd for rather bring those things to the board than what some politicians said what recently. JMO.

The restaurant was interesting, and I've seen quite a few reviews since our time there that accuse them of treating regulars far better and to stay away if you arent one. Which isn't uncommon in smaller tight knit communities, but I'm not gonna tip well for that service.

Yes, I tried to make it clear that I thought this was a good thread. Part of what makes it interesting is the differing perspectives and what is and isn't a big deal to people. I was just chiming in that your matter wouldn't be a big deal to me, it sort of seems like you took issue with that too.

If you're still following reviews for that restaurant - as opposed to just moving on - maybe that is also suggestive? Maybe you're just sensitive to these types of things?

I realize some people think they're cool if they say that nothing bothers them and everything just rolls off their back, but there's nothing wrong with being sensitive, it doesn't make you a Karen.

I get that we're all different and bothered by different things, but I'm not sure I would have given what was described a second thought, certainly not a story worth retelling, and definitely not going through the process of canceling membership while there.

To me, the worst part of Costco is the popularity. All the customers with massive carts, randomly stopping.

Yeah, I am definitely not canceling my order that I just spent an hour rounding up in weekend hell. And agree 100% with your last sentence. It’s pretty much chaos anytime I go to our local Costco. Unfortunately, my Costco isn’t a quick stop on the way home. It’s a bit out of the way. Because of that, and my general dislike for most people and I just avoid it anymore.

with that said. @Tenacious E their pizza at the counter is pretty damn legit. Dare I say better than Casey’s?

Yeah, I am definitely not canceling my order that I just spent an hour rounding up in weekend hell. And agree 100% with your last sentence. It’s pretty much chaos anytime I go to our local Costco. Unfortunately, my Costco isn’t a quick stop on the way home. It’s a bit out of the way. Because of that, and my general dislike for most people and I just avoid it anymore.

with that said. @Tenacious E their pizza at the counter is pretty damn legit. Dare I say better than Casey’s?

I would rather have every employee in the store make a "rude" comment to me and endure the type of things that the OP described if it meant there were half as many customers in the store.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
might i ask which pillow? i’m looking for a good one…thanks
Boy I couldn’t recall the brand name, there were a lot of different types all thrown together in a huge display box.

I know that the fill is essentially a chewed up foam which makes it easy to manipulate and form it which I like

Reactions: desihawk
Yes, I tried to make it clear that I thought this was a good thread. Part of what makes it interesting is the differing perspectives and what is and isn't a big deal to people. I was just chiming in that your matter wouldn't be a big deal to me, it sort of seems like you took issue with that too.

If you're still following reviews for that restaurant - as opposed to just moving on - maybe that is also suggestive? Maybe you're just sensitive to these types of things?

I realize some people think they're cool if they say that nothing bothers them and everything just rolls off their back, but there's nothing wrong with being sensitive, it doesn't make you a Karen.
Well I don't get worked up over much. I also have massive amounts of time to kill most days and fill it posting here or looking at shit on the internet. Like right now, I have nothing to do until 2pm and I'm 2 hrs from home. So I'll go down some rabbit holes and look at things most people wouldn't because I have that much time to kill.

What’s worse is when you go the to grocery store and carry out two small bags of groceries and it’s easily over $100
Corporate grocery stores like Hy Vee and Publix suck nowadays. I went to (another corporate store) called ALDI last week. Saved a shit load of money. Produce and meat seem to be better quality as well.

Can’t stand Hy-Vee. Some stuff is on sale. Some you need perks, some you need perks plus. JFC I just want to buy groceries not jump through hoops.

ALDIs is our mainstay now. Plug our nose and use Walmart for the rest.

@desihawk, the pillow was manufactured for Sinomax USA INC.

The filling is 100% shredded polyurethane foam embedded with gel beads. It’s enclosed in a white zippered cover that has a very thin blue border seam that goes around the entire perimeter of the pillow on both sides.

My wife who really struggled to find an acceptable pillow finally settled on a style that has a fillable water reservoir inside. I think she bought that one through her chiropractor a number of years ago. It must have worked because she hasn’t been back to the chiropractor in many years. It’s a really comfortable pillow but I don’t like the sloshing water sounds it makes. Chiro-flow might be the brand/manufacturer name

Reactions: desihawk
Yeah, I buy everything I smoke at costco usually. The pork shoulder 2-pack is a great deal. Short ribs, skirt steak, all good.

That‘s an interesting topic. I don’t buy every food item I smoke from Costco, but it is definitely over 50%. That’s because there are some things I prefer to get straight from the rancher/farmer or from Publix.

Foods I buy from Costco to Smoke
Whole Brisket
Atlantic Salmon
Steelhead Trout
Sockeye Salmon
Chuck Roasts
Burnt Ends (made from Chuck)
Cheddar Cheese
Havarti Cheese
Gouda Cheese
Swiss Cheese
Cream Cheese
Pork Tenderloin
Pork Shoulder
Pork Butt
Pork Ribs
Chicken Legs
Chicken Thighs
Lamb Shoulder
Rack of Lamb

Foods I DON‘T buy from Costco to Smoke
Amberjack
King or Spanish Mackerel
Mullet
Oysters
Cornish Game Hens Stuffed with Boudin
Prime Rib (usually cheaper when on sale at Publix around holidays)
Turkeys
Pheasants
Duck
Ring Bologna
Rabbit
Pork Collar or Coppa
Whole free range Chicken
Goose
Peppers
”Armadillo Eggs”
Bing Cherries

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Corporate grocery stores like Hy Vee and Publix suck nowadays. I went to (another corporate store) called ALDI last week. Saved a shit load of money. Produce and meat seem to be better quality as well.
I like everything about Aldi BUT their beef quality.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT