ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal Minute Distribution?

Man you really don't understand English if thats what you thought my words meant.

We know JBO can't defend big ten guards. It doesn't matter what is going on against these cupcakes.

There are simply more talented options now than in the past.
We'll see next week. Will there be games where JBO struggles on D and Perkins plays more? Sure. Does JBO look way more comfortable at the 2? Yes.

Illinois' backcourt isn't exactly lighting it up so I can see JBO being fine against them, and I don't think anyone thinks JBO will shut down Jaden Ivey so we may see more Perkins vs. Purdue.

The problem JBo, is that people never look at the whole picture when discussing him. He is generally feast or famine when shooting. Yes he statistically averages out to look good offensively but it's the defense where the "whole" becomes a problem.
You replace him on a net basis. Yes, the person replacing him may shoot lower from 3pt % maybe 5-7% (i'm not even sure that would be the case) but when you add in his defensive deficiencies we are generally worse off when he plays.
I'm all for Hot Jbo getting minutes but when cold jbo shows up, his minutes need to be cut drastically.
Hes a one dimensional volume shooter who runs hot and cold. Hes a pretty good ballhandler but can't do much of anything off the dribble inside the arc.

Hes giving a good effort on D which is nice but he doesn't have the physical ability to be a good defender in conference. We know this.

Iowa has guys now who can shoot, drive, cut in the lane and defend.

I don't understand how anyone can realistically argue the Sandfort and Perkins don't bring more to the table.

There still a role for him but its not playing starters minutes.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
The problem JBo, is that people never look at the whole picture when discussing him. He is generally feast or famine when shooting. Yes he statistically averages out to look good offensively but it's the defense where the "whole" becomes a problem.
You replace him on a net basis. Yes, the person replacing him may shoot lower from 3pt % maybe 5-7% (i'm not even sure that would be the case) but when you add in his defensive deficiencies we are generally worse off when he plays.
I'm all for Hot Jbo getting minutes but when cold jbo shows up, his minutes need to be cut drastically.
I don’t think that many will disagree with your last sentence. Even Fran has limited his minutes in those types of games

Hes a one dimensional volume shooter who runs hot and cold. Hes a pretty good ballhandler but can't do much of anything off the dribble inside the arc.

Hes giving a good effort on D which is nice but he doesn't have the physical ability to be a good defender in conference. We know this.

Iowa has guys now who can shoot, drive, cut in the lane and defend.

I don't understand how anyone can realistically argue the Sandfort and Perkins don't bring more to the table.

There still a role for him but its not playing starters minutes.
How many b1g guards have you seen sandfort play?

Reactions: Coach_Fry
We'll see next week. Will there be games where JBO struggles on D and Perkins plays more? Sure. Does JBO look way more comfortable at the 2? Yes.

Illinois' backcourt isn't exactly lighting it up so I can see JBO being fine against them, and I don't think anyone thinks JBO will shut down Jaden Ivey so we may see more Perkins vs. Purdue.
We really don't need to see.

We know exactly what he is and isn't.

Hes going to shoot a lot of 3s, sometimes make a lot sometimes not and be a liability on defense against good teams.

I understand hes going to play a lot because Fran loves him but it doesn't mean I'll agree with it.

Are you suggesting that's needed to compare the two?

Because it isn't.
🤣 yeahhh it kinda is. Hey Fran here’s an idea, bench the leading 3pt shooter in school history, oh wait BIG history, and start a kid that’s played 4 games against garbage competition! I do enjoy reading most of your takes on here, they give me something to laugh at

Reactions: Coach_Fry
Truth be told we have no idea on minute distribution from these first set of games. They have all been in hand against shoddy competition. I guess we will see in our first tightly contested game what Fran dictates to. On one hand I see that Jbo brings a lot of experience and free throw shooting down the stretch. On the otherhand there is a definsive limitation there that could possibly be better served by having Perkins and Kris for defensive purposes down the stretch vs Conner and Jbo. My one knock against Fran is he can be stubborn to a fault on upper classman leadership down the stretch.

Anything but the Conner / Jbo combo imo, and I will die on this hill that Conner's minutes should be 10 and under and no crunch time. What hurt last years team was not given the young guys enough minutes to develop come tourney time when we needed their athleticsm. I truly believe this is a tourney team at this point with a legit superstar in Keegan.

I would like to see JT get more time with a lineup of Perkins, Sandfort, and the Murrays. That is a filthy athletic lineup with 3 really good 3 pt shooters and 3 guys that can penetrate / create their own shot. Defensively could be a real nightmare for teams. When any team goes small ball lineup on us I would like to see us counter with this unit.

Lastly before "Fran" responds this is all just fan speculation. Overall Fran has done an incredible job building this program and I respect the difficult situation he has to navigate in keeping this many players happy.
I'll stand beside you on that hill.

I don’t think that many will disagree with your last sentence. Even Fran has limited his minutes in those types of games
his highest total of minutes this season were when he went 1-9 from three. I'm not going to look but I doubt fran even considers this. He never did with Josh O either.

Iowa currently leads the nation in % of bench minutes played per kenpom. It’s partly a product of blowout games, but I think it’s a concern that the rotation might not be narrowed down. I don’t think Fran is going to want to cut anybody’s minutes.

how could sanfort possibly be worse on defense than having jbo guard a pg?
I'll reserve judgement but I won't hold my breath.
Well on the other hand, sandfort also hasn’t proven he can score effectively against competition either. I think maybe we should pump the brakes a little till the competition ramps up before we just throw jbo aside. These knee jerk reactions based off performances against 4 300+ teams are laughable

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
his highest total of minutes this season were when he went 1-9 from three. I'm not going to look but I doubt fran even considers this. He never did with Josh O either.
Well he benched Bohannon when it counted most in the tournament last year against Oregon

Reactions: perryhawk
Its only hard because he's a Fran favorite but it shouldn't be hard.

Same with Connor.

Its pretty clear who the better players are on this team.
It depends on the game whether Jbo should get heavy minutes or not. Like it or not, he's a weapon from 3 and helps space the floor. Other times, he's ineffective and should sit.

As opposed to what for Connor? He has been less than ideal so far this year and that’s putting it nicely. Least JBo brings the outside shooting and threat of it. Opens up lanes and tougher for a guy to sag off to double. As opposed to Connor who brings nothing on that end of the floor.
How soon you forget that he's the best post feeder in the game. It doesn't matter if he contributes little else. ;)

🤣 yeahhh it kinda is. Hey Fran here’s an idea, bench the leading 3pt shooter in school history, oh wait BIG history, and start a kid that’s played 4 games against garbage competition! I do enjoy reading most of your takes on here, they give me something to laugh at
Nope its not.

I can look at both and clearly see which one is better because I have two eyes and functioning brain.

Thats honestly all it should take anyone to see the difference.

They say sense of humor is a good measure of intelligence, that might say something about what you find funny.

Nope its not.

I can look at both and clearly see which one is better because I have two eyes and functioning brain.

Thats honestly all it should take anyone to see the difference.

They say sense of humor is a good measure of intelligence, that might say something about what you find funny.
You’re all over the place, making knee jerk reactions on a game by game basis. Perkins has a couple good games, best guard on the team! Sandfort has a few good shooting games and he should take the best shooter in BIG history outta the starting lineup! kris should be starting over pmac, ulis is better than joeT, and even quicker, which is my personal favorite!
You could be right, Sandfort may be a better option this yr than jbo. But maybe, just maybe, we should get a little more evidence before throwing jbo to the curb. Regardless they’re both going to play a lot and im glad they’re both on the team.

Reactions: perryhawk
You’re all over the place, making knee jerk reactions on a game by game basis. Perkins has a couple good games, best guard on the team! Sandfort has a few good shooting games and he should take the best shooter in BIG history outta the starting lineup! kris should be starting over pmac, ulis is better than joeT, and even quicker, which is my personal favorite!
You could be right, Sandfort may be a better option this yr than jbo. But maybe, just maybe, we should get a little more evidence before throwing jbo to the curb. Regardless they’re both going to play a lot and im glad they’re both on the team.
Not knee jerk at all.

If you pay attention I've been on the Perkins bandwagon for over a year.

You guys don't seem to understand defense is half the game.

Jbo isn't the best shooter in conference. Hes a %40 3pt shooter that shoots a lot. Hes just had more minutes on the floor than most being a 6 year starter. Most guys start for 2 or 3 years.

Hes never been able to defend in conference and I've never cared for him because of that. I'll give him credit for atleast trying this time.

Last years team flamed out with a great offense and two nba players because they couldn't defend.

I don't want to watch that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkRose and KcTo
Iowa currently leads the nation in % of bench minutes played per kenpom. It’s partly a product of blowout games, but I think it’s a concern that the rotation might not be narrowed down. I don’t think Fran is going to want to cut anybody’s minutes.
It is primarily a product of blowout games but also the lack of any real separation between some of the starters and reserves. Arguments can be made that Perkins, Kris, Ulis and Sandfort have been playing as well or better than their counterparts in the starting lineup. There isn't much, if any drop off. The only guys that really can't be replaced by reserves are Keegan and Rebraca. On the other hand, Ash, Laketa, Josh and Kingsbury likely won't see the floor in tighter games.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Not knee jerk at all.

Jbo isn't the best shooter in conference. Hes a %40 3pt shooter that shoots a lot. Thats nothing special. Hes just had more minutes on the floor than most being a 6 year starter. Most guys start for 2 or 3 years.

Hes never been able to defend in conference and I've never cared for him because of that. I'll give him credit for atleast trying this time.

Last years team flamed out with a great offense and two nba players because they couldn't defend.

“….Last years team flamed out with a great offense and two nba players because they couldn't defend.

I don't want to watch that again…”

101% agree…
IOWA routinely gets run out of the gym in post season tournaments.
Doing the same thing,the same way, and expecting different results is the definition of what again….?

I’m firmly in the blending of defensive efficiency with offensive efficiency vs pure offensive mindset.

with Keegan, Kris, and Perk you’ve got that…
adding JoeT and youve 4 elite defenders,

Reactions: HawkLogic
Not knee jerk at all.

Jbo isn't the best shooter in conference. Hes a %40 3pt shooter that shoots a lot. Thats nothing special. Hes just had more minutes on the floor than most being a 6 year starter. Most guys start for 2 or 3 years.

There is some truth here. I like Jbo in a Jeff Moe role. Spot shooter off the bench, if he's hot keep rolling him. Otherwise play the better defenders. Perkins, Sandfort, Kris bring more athleticsm, defense and rebounding.

Reactions: RocknRollface
There is some truth here. I like Jbo in a Jeff Moe role. Spot shooter off the bench, if he's hot keep rolling him. Otherwise play the better defenders. Perkins, Sandfort, Kris bring more athleticsm, defense and rebounding.
And they bring better offense too.

Its really not a trade off.

McCaffery has an interesting problem. There are only 200 minutes in a game and so far, your best player is only taking up 24 of them. We know that's got to increase once the bullets really start flying. Kris is only getting 17 and Patrick 23. Do they deserve more or less? You brought Rebraca in to play the post and he's playing less than half the game. Is that about right? Sandfort has us all excited with his shooting. If this is representative of what he contributes, and given the competition, we don't really know that, is 15 minutes too few for him? All five of the potential guards are playing about equal minutes now. Will that change? I assume with the guards, everything will depend on how the game is going and how much each is efficiently contributing on each end of the court. Ash, Ogundele, andMulvey are most likely not even in the equation. Every game will be an interesting jigsaw puzzle for the coach trying to fit the players into a winning combination for that particular game.

Reactions: unclesammy
Can’t say I was thrilled with what I saw against Portland St. Jbo got 25 minutes (5 pts, 1 ast, 0 reb) to Tony’s 13 (8 in garbage time).

Game was close and Fran leaned on starters. Conner got 20 minutes off bench that needs to be 10-15.

Well see Monday in a real game but at this point the top of the rotation I would rank:

Keegan
Rebraca
Kris
Pmac
Tony
Jbo
Sandfort
Conner
Ulis
Ulis is struggling so if we are going to play Jbo that much shave Ulis minutes versus Sandfort/Tony. I would give Kris 25. Sandfort 20, Tony 20.

Can’t say I was thrilled with what I saw against Portland St. Jbo got 25 minutes (5 pts, 1 ast, 0 reb) to Tony’s 13 (8 in garbage time).

Game was close and Fran leaned on starters. Conner got 20 minutes off bench that needs to be 10-15.

Well see Monday in a real game but at this point the top of the rotation I would rank:

Keegan
Rebraca
Kris
Pmac
Tony
Jbo
Sandfort
Conner
Ulis
Ulis is struggling so if we are going to play Jbo that much shave Ulis minutes versus Sandfort/Tony. I would give Kris 25. Sandfort 20, Tony 20.

Fran has to commit to JoeT/Ullis at PG for defensive reasons. If Ullis is struggling, then that just means JoeT needs to play most of the game . I haven't noticed Ullis struggling in games I have watched. He rebounds and plays good defense and is solid if unspectacular. Ulis might be a litle bit challenged shooting wise but there is no way he can be worse than CMAC.

Out of your list, I would put JBO as 8, CMAC at 9 for most of the game but they would play more if we had a lead and were trying to protect it at the end

Keegan
Rebraca
Kris
Pmac
Tony
Jbo
Sandfort
Conner
Ulis
Ive accepted the idea of a frustrating underachieving year.

Frans going to lean on his experienced guys and thats going to cost him in the long run.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Ive accepted the idea of a frustrating underachieving year.

Frans going to lean on his experienced guys and thats going to cost him in the long run.
We will see. Fran is no fool, and I think he will ride the lineups and players that are playing the best in a given game and based on the matchups. I’m sure there will be a few games where we say “x players” should have received more minutes, but if we aren’t winning games and that’s happening in every game, he will have no choice but to switch things up

• Haha
We will see. Fran is no fool, and I think he will ride the lineups and players that are playing the best in a given game and based on the matchups. I’m sure there will be a few games where we say “x players” should have received more minutes, but if we aren’t winning games and that’s happening in every game, he will have no choice but to switch things up
No, but he is extremely loyal.

Reactions: KcTo
I would agree, a very noble trait that we value in Fran and our family, friends, and associates.

The slippery side of loyalty is loss of objectivity. Fiercely royal coaches can stick to a strategy or players, for all the wrong reasons. For example, 1 might use the Oregon game last year and posit that sticking with a lineup of injured season long starters, ConMac and CJ. versus healthy players is an example of this. Had Fran been less loyal to those kids he might have recognized that kids that were defensively challenged to start, while playing injured, might be exposed to a team of very athletic players.

or maybe stubbornness is another comparative for loyalty? One could say that Fran is ’loyal’ to his 1st half 2 foul rule, where he stubbornly sticks to or is loyal too, this strategy? (and we know how soft Iowas started play in the 1h).

or maybe pride is another comparator? If one changes personnel, strategy, etc mid season, or changes a long held tenet (like the 1st half 2 foul rule, or always choosing to optimize scoring efficiency vs blending with some defensive efficiency) then one could be open to criticism that they were initially wrong, a very difficult thing for a prideful person to admit.

i like Fran a lot, i like his style of play, I’m glad he‘s at IOWA and he can stay as long as he wants.
(but I really hopes he takes the early season advice, changes his rotations, and plays Kris and Perk more)

• Haha
Loyal, sure. But this year isn’t like last year where he had obligations to guys who’d been playing together for three years previously. This is a new team with a ton of new contributors. Fran needs to figure out which combination gives them a best chance to win. He won’t sacrifice that out of loyalty, imo. Look who played the majority of the second halves of both the Gonzaga and Oregon games last year

• Haha
Loyal, sure. But this year isn’t like last year where he had obligations to guys who’d been playing together for three years previously. This is a new team with a ton of new contributors. Fran needs to figure out which combination gives them a best chance to win. He won’t sacrifice that out of loyalty, imo. Look who played the majority of the second halves of both the Gonzaga and Oregon games last year
A. I hope you're correct that this year is not like last.

B. The obligation is not real. Its his feelings.

C. I still think Fran gives an uneven value to O vs D. The experienced guys do what he wants on offense. I don't think he can stand going through the growing pains of turnovers and bad decisions to eventually get to a better team.

In my opinion he already made the decision months ago that set this season on the wrong course.

Weren't those games effectively over at halftime?

Weren't those games effectively over at halftime?
Maybe not over but the lack of athleticism of the starting guards dug Iowa a huge hole to start those games and it will happen multiple times this year too. Sometimes they will over come it with good offense.

Fran will give JBO and Connor a much longer leash than anyone else, which is ridiculous considering they are not better than the majority of the other players to begin with.

No?

Iowa was down 9 with less than 8 to play against Gonzaga and Oregon didn’t open up their lead to 18 until about a third of the way through the second half
I guess I just remember there being big halftime deficits in both and our starting backcourt of CJ, JBo and CMac being completely overwhelmed by the opposition. Iowa was down 10 at half and 14 to Oregon 2 minutes into the second half.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT