ADVERTISEMENT

IF everyone returns next season Iowa will be top 5 in the BIG

It's hard to believe but once again the last 5 seasons have been the most productive in Iowa hoops history since the 1930s. BIG finishes and NCAA bids. The terrible finishes in the NCAA is the issue.
Nothing else matters when you have terrible finishes in the NCAA. This sport is all about what you do in March and coaches who don't value defense or solid guard play and can't teach either don't do much in March. Bring on DeVries

Losing to Michigan and Maryland at home is not exceeding expectations.

Having the #146 ranked defense in the country is not exceeding expectations.

Losing to the #10 seed in the B1G Tournament is not exceeding expectations.

I could go on.

We all could go on.
You've been behind Fran a long time on here. Where do you stand now? If you've soured on Fran when did it happen?

You've been behind Fran a long time on here. Where do you stand now? If you've soured on Fran when did it happen?
I think people just realize it’s been a long time we had Fran. Some fun regular seasons but rarely anything but underachieving in March. I use to be a Fran defender. But the loses Maryland and Michigan sucked. And so did almost 2 thousand Illinois fans showing up on senior day. I don’t think he should coach beyond next year if he isn’t going to develop further as a coach, or bring in an assistant that actually capable of getting a head coaching position some day.

Nothing else matters when you have terrible finishes in the NCAA. This sport is all about what you do in March and coaches who don't value defense or solid guard play and can't teach either don't do much in March. Bring on DeVries
OK. That's my Unicorn result. Lol

yes. the same guard deficient team, running the same system, should be killer with 2 freshmen front court players coming in.

Showtime.

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Reactions: mizzy2442
As much as this sucks this team still exceeded expectations this season. Solid young core with 2 nice additions. Hopefully Perkins comes back for a 5th year and they land a BIG and or Guard in the portal this team will be top 5 in BIG and Dancing again.
Not with the idiot who is running the show....

I’m over Perkins. He’s been bad for the last month, looks like he is playing with low energy and moping around. Too many lazy dribbles and passes leading to turnovers. Hand the keys to Brock

It's not low energy, Tony has been playing injured recently,.. I like what Brock brings.

It's hard to believe but once again the last 5 seasons have been the most productive in Iowa hoops history since the 1930s. BIG finishes and NCAA bids. The terrible finishes in the NCAA is the issue.
That is the unfortunate part for Fran. IMO besides the OT Tenn game we actually haven't even been close to a Sweet 16.

He is kind of like the awesome employee that just kills it and goes over the top Monday-Thursday but every Friday he comes in hungover and leaves at 1

1978-1979 season to 1982-83 seasons
5 NCAA appearances
7 NCAA wins
58-32 conf. .644
106-43 record .711
1 Big Ten Tri Champ

1984-85 season to 1988-89 seasons
5 NCAA appearances
6 NCAA wins
56-34 conf. record .622
118-58 record .670

2018-19 season to 2022-23
5 NCAA appearances
2 NCAA wins
58-42 conf. record .580
110-56 record .638

Assumed Iowa would have made 2020 tournament. Had lost 3 of 4 games when season ended.

5 NCAA appearances
7 NCAA wins
58-32 conf. .644
106-43 record .711
1 Big Ten Tri Champ

5 NCAA appearances
6 NCAA wins
56-34 conf. record .622
118-58 record .670

5 NCAA appearances
2 NCAA wins
58-42 conf. record .580
110-56 record .638

Assumed Iowa would have made 2020 tournament. Had lost 3 of 4 games when season ended.

bryan cranston mic drop GIF

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
We will be more atheltic next year especaily when Bowen returns
Correct.
Replacing PMac and krikke with Koch and Tadjo is a big leap in athleticism.
Tadjo is top 50 in On3 ratings and Koch is top 100.
That is much higher ratings than any of this year's frosh.
Now, Fran has to hit the portal hard for an athletic rim protector and a quick guard.
Keep pounding the rock.

Correct.
Replacing PMac and krikke with Koch and Tadjo is a big leap in athleticism.
Tadjo is top 50 in On3 ratings and Koch is top 100.
That is much higher ratings than any of this year's frosh.
Now, Fran has to hit the portal hard for an athletic rim protector and a quick guard.
Keep pounding the rock.
As much as I'd like to see Koch play important minutes next year he still needs to hit the weights, we'll see if Fran adds him to the rotation or brings him along slowly. As far as Tadjo is concerned I'm not sure he will see much playing time next year. I know, I know, everyone is jacked up to see a physically gifted athlete, but if his game is not up to Big Ten standards Fran may redshirt him to allow him to become a better player, dunking the ball is only one aspect of the game. Just putting it out there, it's not set in stone. It's only my opinion.

Or, he may blow everyone away and be a one and done player. See, lot's of possibilities, I'm not against him at all, but he did pick Iowa and not a blue blood program, which means there may be red flags in his game.

Reading the analysis of tadjo's game in On3 site (# 38 in their rankings), Chris sounds like the opposite of krikke physically.
Quick , explosive, big wing span, "best natural rebounder in class"
tough défender who can move his feet enough to guard pgs to centers.
But not a shooter outside 15 ft yet.
But a good ft shooter.
I would be surprised if he is not in the rotation next year.
We will see with Koch.
Might be Pryce like next year.
Needs muscle.

Reading the analysis of tadjo's game in On3 site (# 38 in their rankings), Chris sounds like the opposite of krikke physically.
Quick , explosive, big wing span, "best natural rebounder in class"
tough défender who can move his feet enough to guard pgs to centers.
But not a shooter outside 15 ft yet.
But a good ft shooter.
I would be surprised if he is not in the rotation next year.
We will see with Koch.
Might be Pryce like next year.
Needs muscle.
Tadjo is a good rebounder and defender but not a good shooter.

So good at the things Fran doesn't care about and bad at the things he does care about.

I'm skeptical that Fran will be able to bring himself to play him.

Reactions: Barnbomber
Hope Bowen returns for his junior year, he has potential. We should know in the next few weeks if he intends to return or ops to enter the portal. Fran may indeed need to add a quality guard from the portal this summer whether Bowen returns and has knee issues next year or leaves.

Reactions: NI hawk
Hope Bowen returns for his junior year, he has potential. We should know in the next few weeks if he intends to return or ops to enter the portal. Fran may indeed need to add a quality guard from the portal this summer whether Bowen returns and has knee issues next year or leaves.
Could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Bowen doesn't transfer.

Seemed like he was basically not playing at all by season's end.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
5 NCAA appearances
7 NCAA wins
58-32 conf. .644
106-43 record .711
1 Big Ten Tri Champ

5 NCAA appearances
6 NCAA wins
56-34 conf. record .622
118-58 record .670

5 NCAA appearances
2 NCAA wins
58-42 conf. record .580
110-56 record .638

Thanks for posting the data. Lute’s last five seasons from 1979-1983 is when I was old enough to become a fan, and they remain unparalleled in my lifetime. It was also harder to make the NCAA tournament in those years before the tournament expanded to 64 teams.

Reactions: NI hawk
Thanks for posting the data. Lute’s last five seasons from 1979-1983 is when I was old enough to become a fan, and they remain unparalleled in my lifetime. It was also harder to make the NCAA tournament in those years before the tournament expanded to 64 teams.
I was drawn into Hawk fandom during 1969-70 season. The beginning of crushing NCAA defeats for me.
Purdue tied Iowa and MSU for title in 1979 and did not get a NCAA bid.

As much as this sucks this team still exceeded expectations this season. Solid young core with 2 nice additions. Hopefully Perkins comes back for a 5th year and they land a BIG and or Guard in the portal this team will be top 5 in BIG and Dancing again.
i actually hope Perkins doesn't come back. He's been a good player for Iowa and I wish him well but don't want him back. I can't tell you how many times he has taken it upon himself this year to be the hero at clutch times and failed. Take the Illinois game. Iowa has come back from I think 17 down and are trailing by 5 in the second half. There is a steal. Perkins takes the ball hard to the basket and misses a dunk. Iowa get's the ball back still down 5 and he takes the ball to the hoop and misses a tough shot. The next time Iowa get's the ball, Tony turns it over and Illinois scores. On three straight possessions down 5 Tony makes three mistakes and Iowa never challenges after that. Again, I think he was a good player for the Hawkeyes, but he isn't the clutch player he thinks he is late in the game and late in the season. I wish him all the luck in his new career as long as it's not at Iowa.

Reactions: Steve Waite
I’m over Perkins. He’s been bad for the last month, looks like he is playing with low energy and moping around. Too many lazy dribbles and passes leading to turnovers. Hand the keys to Brock
Perkins isn't a PG. His natural game is played with abandon. Fran playing him at PG was the equivalent of putting the shackles on him.

Not to mention it left Iowa without a PG on the floor for almost the entire season. Beyond mind-boggling. Simply starting Harding or even Bowen along side Tony would have put Iowa in the dance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT