ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa Wins The B1G This Year, Does Kirk Retire?

They can go 10-2, 11-1, 12-0 then win the title game and it can be win, lose, or draw in the Rose or CFP. Would Kirk retire?

I am not saying that’s what I want, but a part of me has always thought Kirk is holding out to win one more conference title.
It depends on what he thinks the chances of Brian getting the HC job after him are.

In your opinion, what would Brian have to do to prove he is ready? Just curious.
I think it goes beyond x's and o's. I think that the perception of the football program and university as a whole has to be reflected in the personality of the head coach. Of course winning trumps everything, but, the level of winning for really any program is unsustainable if the personality and desired perception don't match. Look at why the spread didn't work at Nebraska, why everyone hates Fleck, and why Miami is still to this day seen as a program with a bunch of thugs and criminals from the Jimmie Johnson era. The responsibility of a coach is much more than winning and losing, because not only do you have to win first, you are the face for your entire state, moreso than any politician, and that goes double for a state like Iowa that has no pro teams and is the biggest draw in the state.

In Iowa's case, the reason that Ferentz has been so successful and the longest tenured coach is because he is humble, always deflects praise and always accepts blame, incredibly hard-working, lets the performance on the field do the talking, and is perceived by everyone as an incredibly nice man that if you saw him in the grocery store that you could approach him and have a conversation, and above all, that things are never as good or as bad as they seem with him, and that level-headed sentiment is reflected in his players and coaches. If you think about it, I think the personality of Kirk reflects the state as a whole. Hayden was a bit different in that he was a little more brash, but all those other traits were still embodied in him, and why so many Iowans look up to those guys as role models. It is why fans like me love to see under-recruited tough kids that play their hearts out, play hard-nose defense, run the ball down your throat kind of stuff. I don't appreciate the 49-45 games where there is no defense and its all about the flash, that is just poser football to me.

So as it goes with Brian, I think he kind of got off on the wrong foot with the Iowa fans as people perceive him to be someone who is hot-headed, not even-keeled and maybe not the nicest guy in the world, and someone with little humility. And Brian had it even harder than Kirk and Hayden did because they didn't have to face the idea of nepotism, so Brian had to be even more "good ole boy" than them. But Brian really did this to himself and I don't know what he has to do, aside from winning, that will change that or if he will even be able to change that. There will always be people that will say they loved Kirk but Brian not so much no matter what happens from here on out.

There's nothing wrong with Kirk continuing for 4 to 8 more years. I just don't know that I would predict or count on it happening. He is not going to broadcast his retirement plans and potential hurt future teams. I am happy if he stays. But his personality is a lot different than Saban. I don't see the point in comparing the two in regards to retirement plans. Saban is the type to be focused on preparing for next season the day after winning a national title.

No chance he leaves until this BS of supposed racism has completely flatlined. KF won’t leave the Hawks in the lurch with that stain hanging over the program! He’ll hang around long enough to give people accusing the program of this crap a big middle finger.
also why hang it up when you’re still recruiting at a high level and have really young team that could be even better next yea? Not happening
Shouldn’t you be worried about your team’s HC being fired after this season?

No, no matter what happens. While I certainly think he is involved in the day to day activities, I think this program is a well-oiled machine with is structure and management. I don't think Phil wants to be a head coach, because if he did he would have left a long time ago. Brian isn't ready, and any other replacement would totally upset everything Kirk built. So I think he is going to be here for a while.
He is more a CEO, than a coach. A master of macro mgmt, but still has final say/super vote....IMHO.

They can go 10-2, 11-1, 12-0 then win the title game and it can be win, lose, or draw in the Rose or CFP. Would Kirk retire?

I am not saying that’s what I want, but a part of me has always thought Kirk is holding out to win one more conference title.
I don't think so. I think Kirk still loves coaching. I hope he stays a long time. Go Hawks !

Reactions: icsedge1
I've been watching cutups of the Kent State defensive backs, so I don't throw any turnover-worthy passes.

I like Kirk and hope he coaches for as long as he wants. I do believe he has a blind spot when it comes to Brian and his OC abilities. My ideal situation would be for Brian to get hired for a HC situation somewhere else and then Kirk and Barta retire at the same time.

I highly doubt that Brian is held in high enough regard by Athletic Directors to get a power 5 head coaching gig. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but I have never seen his name mentioned as a HC candidate. I do think that if Barta is still the AD when Kirk retires that Brian’s chances are very strong to get the call.

I hope he retires at the end of this year regardless of the W-L record. The racism stain will still be there for many years but Ferentz and his kid being gone will help restore the damaged U. of Iowa football brand. The job should go to Phil Parker if he wants it.

I hope he retires at the end of this year regardless of the W-L record. The racism stain will still be there for many years but Ferentz and his kid being gone will help restore the damaged U. of Iowa football brand. The job should go to Phil Parker if he wants it.
1*9O48AgvV4gnxicTHRGN4uQ.gif

Reactions: iafan44
Football fans are sure to be football fans. All it takes is to win a couple of games and were going to win a National championship. Did you not watch the offense we put on the field. Do you really dream we could compete with Alabama with that kind of performance. Get real and hope we can compete for the West of the Big.

I highly doubt that Brian is held in high enough regard by Athletic Directors to get a power 5 head coaching gig. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but I have never seen his name mentioned as a HC candidate. I do think that if Barta is still the AD when Kirk retires that Brian’s chances are very strong to get the call.
I agree with this sentiment totally.

I think there have been inquiries about Brian as far as a position coach or coordinator at some other places, but never has his name been mentioned in connection with a Head Coach job. Knowing his blood lines, I think that's telling.

I like Kirk and hope he coaches for as long as he wants. I do believe he has a blind spot when it comes to Brian and his OC abilities. My ideal situation would be for Brian to get hired for a HC situation somewhere else and then Kirk and Barta retire at the same time.
For those clamoring for Brian to be the next Head Coach, it would behoove everyone if Brian got a Head Coaching job somewhere else soon and got experience and a chance to prove himself as a HC-- making sure he would be right for the job.

Personally, nobody has seriously considered him as a HC candidate since he's been at Iowa and not certain anyone will. I still contend if his last name were Jones instead of Ferentz, even his most ardent supporters would not even mention him as a HC candidate once Kirk leaves.

No chance he leaves until this BS of supposed racism has completely flatlined. KF won’t leave the Hawks in the lurch with that stain hanging over the program! He’ll hang around long enough to give people accusing the program of this crap a big middle finger.
also why hang it up when you’re still recruiting at a high level and have really young team that could be even better next yea? Not happening
Shouldn’t you be worried about your team’s HC being fired after this season?
I was thinking about this as well. It wasn’t long ago that there were multiple threads on this board talking about Kirk being forced to retire. I thought it was ridiculous then, and this season is quickly making that situation a distant memory. Kirk has earned himself a lifetime contract at Iowa. He’s going out on his terms and I don’t see this being the year to do that regardless of how the season turns out.

Reactions: the24fan
Yes! Yes!Yes!

No. He's in good health and still having fun. Also, next season could be even bigger. (depending on who stays and who goes)

In your opinion, what would Brian have to do to prove he is ready? Just curious.
Maybe put something on the field that sort of resembles a competent offense first. If kirk wasn't his dad, he wouldn't have a job right now, nor should he.

phil will leave when kf leaves.

Last year yards per game, Iowa finished 86th. So am I or you pretending?

I am still pleased with our overall coaching staff right now, but having Brian take over isn't just going to magically keep things the way they are now. I'd could support Phil Parker taking over though.
If the object of the game was to see who had the most yards, then this would be a horrible stat. But all that matters is what goes on the scoreboard. And in THAT category, Iowa was 2nd in the conference. Iowa also has 8 straight games with 25 or more points scored, which has never happened here before. Not all of that success is because of defensive points, of course.

For those clamoring for Brian to be the next Head Coach, it would behoove everyone if Brian got a Head Coaching job somewhere else soon and got experience and a chance to prove himself as a HC-- making sure he would be right for the job.

Personally, nobody has seriously considered him as a HC candidate since he's been at Iowa and not certain anyone will. I still contend if his last name were Jones instead of Ferentz, even his most ardent supporters would not even mention him as a HC candidate once Kirk leaves.
If Iowa's offense was prolific, he'd be offered by other P5 schools... our #130 ranking doesn't really scream "HC of P5" school...more of a NAIA or D2.

We are in the bottom of NCAA for offense (that's the bottom 12 we are company too): https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team

Last edited:
If Iowa's offense was prolific, he'd be offered by other P5 schools... our #130 ranking doesn't really scream "HC of P5" school...more of a NAIA or D2.

We are in the bottom of NCAA for offense (that's the bottom 12 we are company too): https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team

You might be right if Iowa had a more prolific offense under his leadership. I don't think that's all of it though. Brian has a reputation also of being too much of a hot head to some people's tastes and obviously his name was mentioned quite a bit too with the events of the summer of 2020-- next to Doyle his name mentioned the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: obfuscating

You wish, Husker.

"The racism stain" Please. I haven't seen one concrete thing that there was any "racism" involved in a damn thing of any of the issue brought up 95% by a bunch of players who never "made it at Iowa". Was Doyle an overbearing ass to some players, of all races? Probably so. Did some players have an issue because they couldn't wear their wife beaters and Mr T starter set in the football complex? Yep, and good for KF having some damn standards, because we need A LOT more of that right now! Were there some players who thought their culture was being somehow overlooked? It appears that may have been the case, AND its been addressed. Do the current players or recruits seem like they are being oppressed? Sure doesn't appear so. How many teams in the NCAA have a team leadership council that helps make decisions and recommendations regarding the team? Damn few, and this is something KF had in place for a decade before any of this ever came up. Hell James daniels who was one of the first players of note to say something was probably on the council, could have done more good if he'd have voiced some concerns when he was ON the council. And please don't tell me Kirk would have demoted our all conference center for speaking out, because that wouldn't have happened.

he'll be coach when he's 70
I agree. Kirk is 66 right now which would give him another four seasons. At 70, he might decide to give it up or just evaluate each year as they come and when "the fire in his belly" is longer there he will call it a career. If Brian doesn't get hired to replace him, I would think there would be any number of big names who want the Iowa job.

don’t be obtuse
Says the guy asking if a perfectly healthy and successful coach of “his team” will retire. You’re trying to stir the pot, it’s all you do.

Think about how long old some other great coaches coached until - Paterno, Snyder, Osborne, Bear Bryant, Bowden, the list goes on,

There’s nothing to talk about until there is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT