ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Kirk is right?

And how do you propose that?
New OC. Brian is poison (national joke). What highly rated offensive player (lineman or skill), wants to move into a program known for not only being the worst offense in the BIG, but getting even worse each year? Even after everyone says at least it can’t get worse, it manages to reach a new low.

Last edited:
So I'm guilty, along with others, of questioning the offensive system that Iowa runs. Not saying it isn't justified but what if... Kirk is right?
Maybe Iowa can only really recruit certain, shall we say "midwestern" type athletes and a few out of the area athletes to field a team. I mean I realize to some Iowa is God's Country but to a 5 star athlete from south Florida maybe not? Is Kirk running a system that allows Iowa to win 8+ games regularly, go to a bowl game and keep the majority of stake holders happy?
Hypothetically, why should I a 4 or 5 star athlete consider Iowa? We put guys in the NFL... so does everyone else. Great school... a lot of great schools. Big 10? etc. etc. etc.
Does Iowa have enough to consistently draw top level athletes year after year to develop a different identity? or as I stated does Kirk have the recipe to assure 8+ wins etc. Does he actually have the recipe to attract guys that bring to the table every week aggressive, discipline football that consistently produces the aforementioned. A lot of schools would love to have what Iowa has.

I post this for discussion purposes. To be honest there are a lot of negative posters on here and maybe just maybe Kirk is right. Win the Iowa way!
Second question will be can it continue to produce with the new additions coming into the conference?
The Swarm guy says the athletes today want you to show them the money. Facilities used to be a big deal. You got to pay the bluchippers now. But when you Castros and Coopers that fly under the radar. Who needs 5 stars.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
K
So I'm guilty, along with others, of questioning the offensive system that Iowa runs. Not saying it isn't justified but what if... Kirk is right?
Maybe Iowa can only really recruit certain, shall we say "midwestern" type athletes and a few out of the area athletes to field a team. I mean I realize to some Iowa is God's Country but to a 5 star athlete from south Florida maybe not? Is Kirk running a system that allows Iowa to win 8+ games regularly, go to a bowl game and keep the majority of stake holders happy?
Hypothetically, why should I a 4 or 5 star athlete consider Iowa? We put guys in the NFL... so does everyone else. Great school... a lot of great schools. Big 10? etc. etc. etc.
Does Iowa have enough to consistently draw top level athletes year after year to develop a different identity? or as I stated does Kirk have the recipe to assure 8+ wins etc. Does he actually have the recipe to attract guys that bring to the table every week aggressive, discipline football that consistently produces the aforementioned. A lot of schools would love to have what Iowa has.

I post this for discussion purposes. To be honest there are a lot of negative posters on here and maybe just maybe Kirk is right. Win the Iowa way!
Second question will be can it continue to produce with the new additions coming into the conference?
Kirk is the worst offensive HC in college football and it isn’t close. If he thinks that it’s a loser mentality.

Reactions: mustang_hawk

Can't recruit well for the offense because of...yada yada yada, but somehow we do get the guys for defense. How is that?

This is a stupid premise for two reasons.

First, Iowa fcking state has numerous starting skill players in the NFL.

Second, Iowas terrible offense is due to Kirk Ferentz inability to produce a decent offensive line, not lack of athletes. Iowa produced average offenses for years with "Midwestern athletes" when they could run the ball.

There's a massive difference offensively between where Iowa is now and where they were 15 years ago when Kirk Ferentz was capable of recruiting and putting together an offensive line.

He can't get it done anymore. He needs to retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bierhalter
More than one thing can be true. I don’t have big problems with the overall system they run. It’s been successful for a long time and it has been tweaked off and on over the years.

Nate Stanley & Drew Tate each threw for almost 8300 yards. Stanzi threw almost 7500. James Vandenberg threw for 5800. Even Petras threw for 5200.

The Iowa passing game is just horrendous this year, even when accounting for injuries. Not sure what’s happened, but the passing game has gotten worse and worse since 2019 and I don’t think it’s just the talent in the room.

At this moment, Iowa is doing what is probably the optimal thing for this collection of offensive and defensive talent, but the fact that there’s not a single QB behind McNamara capable of playing even slightly below average at QB is a huge black mark against the recruiting & coaching of this offense.
What happened is they can't run or pass block so no play action.

It's 100% on Kirk.

Have to agree and we should be proud this team is 6-1 with little they have to work with on the O side of the ball

What happened is they can't run or pass block so no play action.

It's 100% on Kirk.
The line this year is so much better than the last couple of years. Rushing for 200 against Wisconsin with zero threat of a passing game? And it’s still the worst passing attack under KF by miles.

And of course it’s on KF. He’s responsible for the product on the field. The entire football product is on KF.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Couple thoughts
Absolutely, everything falls on KF. Good or Bad he is responsible. I can't believe the recruiting process has changed significantly. Maybe it's just a bad run of OL etc. recruited the same type athletes but just not developing as in years past.
They did go out and bring in a QB with a resume that would suggest an upgrade. Unfortunately, he is injured.
I would have to assume when going after him there was serious discussion that the offense was limited by personnel and that they had every intention of modifying the offense. Otherwise why would he transfer?
I would like to have been a fly on the wall the last few years in the coaches office. Say what you want but these guys aren't dumb they are acutely aware of what they have. Within the office I'm sure there were tense "discussions" about how to find a way to win with what they had/have.

The big issue I have is that there really is no good excuse not to bring in a seasoned, experienced and proven QB coach to help develop your QB's. That really does fall on KF!

Couple thoughts
Absolutely, everything falls on KF. Good or Bad he is responsible. I can't believe the recruiting process has changed significantly. Maybe it's just a bad run of OL etc. recruited the same type athletes but just not developing as in years past.
They did go out and bring in a QB with a resume that would suggest an upgrade. Unfortunately, he is injured.
I would have to assume when going after him there was serious discussion that the offense was limited by personnel and that they had every intention of modifying the offense. Otherwise why would he transfer?
I would like to have been a fly on the wall the last few years in the coaches office. Say what you want but these guys aren't dumb they are acutely aware of what they have. Within the office I'm sure there were tense "discussions" about how to find a way to win with what they had/have.

The big issue I have is that there really is no good excuse not to bring in a seasoned, experienced and proven QB coach to help develop your QB's. That really does fall on KF!
I don't believe that they had any intention of modifying the offense. They believe that the system works and no changes are required. That's what Brian told everyone before the year started. No changes necessary. Just gotta do what they do better.

I don't believe that they had any intention of modifying the offense. They believe that the system works and no changes are required. That's what Brian told everyone before the year started. No changes necessary. Just gotta do what they do better.

Playing devils advocate here:

Coaches clearly reached the conclusion that the problem first and foremost was due to recruiting misses/injuries/transfers which led to a drop off in talent causing the system issues we’ve all seen and commented on.

Not necessarily a wrong exercise in logic - we HAVE had injuries on the o-line; I think Kirk tacitly admitted yesterday they missed on last few qb recruits and they have been hurt by guys transferring or leaving the program in general.

For one season I could accept this argument. But we’ve seen the same issues for 2+ years now. I don’t think they can argue anymore that the system is part of the problem.

Playing devils advocate here:

Coaches clearly reached the conclusion that the problem first and foremost was due to recruiting misses/injuries/transfers which led to a drop off in talent causing the system issues we’ve all seen and commented on.

Not necessarily a wrong exercise in logic - we HAVE had injuries on the o-line; I think Kirk tacitly admitted yesterday they missed on last few qb recruits and they have been hurt by guys transferring or leaving the program in general.

For one season I could accept this argument. But we’ve seen the same issues for 2+ years now. I don’t think they can argue anymore that the system is part of the problem.
I don't understand what you just said. Are you trying to say the system is or is not a problem?

The perplexing thing is the lack of trust between the QBs and WRs.

Fans are stupidly blaming the OC as it relates to this ... however, the QB is the guy with the ball in his hands. The QB is trying to pass the ball to the guys he trusts.

When you watch the games when the coaches forced the QB to make a concerted effort to pass to the WRs ... what happened? Drops ... lots and lots of drops. My guess is that is what they were seeing in practice too ... and that is why the QB has "trust" issues with the WR targets.

Notice that Nico is one of the few guys who still regularly sees some targets ... but then most opposing Ds are putting one of their better cover guys on him ... and he's just not good enough to regularly get open on his own. The other guys ... they just seem too inconsistent at this juncture ... or that is how it appears to me.
^^ Gets it ^^

There is no ISM, no Brandon Smith, he'll, no Tyrone Tracy Jr. for our QBs to trust. Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV seemed to be those guys.
One was unhealthy until, miraculously, he became "healthy" after he transferred. How's he doing now? Nowhere near the production he had here. The other? Well, certain miscues he had here may well have been intentional.
What of the WRs we have left? Homer nailed it.

I think he was saying that it is not the system that is the issue but rather the missed opportunities to get talent coupled with injuries that prevent the "system" from working.

So getting back to the original post. Maybe KF is right we are doing the best we can with what we've got. 6-1

I don't understand what you just said. Are you trying to say the system is or is not a problem?

I think he was saying that it is not the system that is the issue but rather the missed opportunities to get talent coupled with injuries that prevent the "system" from working.

So getting back to the original post. Maybe KF is right we are doing the best we can with what we've got. 6-1
No, I said that I think the coaches were believing the system was not the issue - imo, but that talent was. So they went into the portal, upgraded at several positions…but we’re still seeing the same problems for a third consecutive year.

the system is the biggest problem, along with talent, coaching and others.

No, I said that I think the coaches were believing the system was not the issue - imo, but that talent was. So they went into the portal, upgraded at several positions…but we’re still seeing the same problems for a third consecutive year.

the system is the biggest problem, along with talent, coaching and others.
We agree.

Ferentz also had Norm before Phil. Was that luck too?

It strikes me that Kirk does a really good job of retaining coaches on his staff. Folks genuinely respect Kirk and really like to work with/for him.

If you look at it ... Kirk does a lot to shield his assistant coaches from what he refers to as "external noise" ... and lets them focus on teaching the game of football. For a football purist like Phil, he likely loves the fact that Kirk tries to minimize the amount of bullshit that he has to deal with.

Furthermore, Phil's initial stint as DC wasn't quite so brilliant at the start ... but then Kirk quickly procured a great assistant coach in Jim Reid to serve as a mentor and sounding-board for Phil. Phil has been afforded the opportunity to grow and evolve as a coach ... and the Iowa program, headed by Kirk, is the beneficiary of that environment. People can say what they will about Kirk ... but the environment he fosters for his assistant coaches significantly contributes to their ability to successfully develop guys.
This is 100% correct. I know Phil and have heard him answer when congratulated for a success ( It all starts at the top )

"Just maybe Kirk is right."

No shit

The line this year is so much better than the last couple of years. Rushing for 200 against Wisconsin with zero threat of a passing game? And it’s still the worst passing attack under KF by miles.

And of course it’s on KF. He’s responsible for the product on the field. The entire football product is on KF.
Ok, I'll have to take your word for it, I haven't watched a game since Penn state.

11 yards doesn't seem so much better though.

Ok, I'll have to take your word for it, I haven't watched a game since Penn state.

11 yards doesn't seem so much better though.
They’ve been playing significantly better. That said, any offense that is completely one dimensional is going to get crushed over time unless that one thing is absolutely elite. Iowa has a solid line and a good RB room, but neither group is elite. With no real threat of a passing game, the running game is going to suffer. Minnesota always has at least a competent D under Fleck and they were absolutely not going to let Iowa run. Iowa had to get something going in the passing game to open things up. I thought heading into halftime that maybe they’d do it - Hill was 7/13 for almost 100 yards in the first half. Clearly not world-beating stuff, but vaguely competent. Clearly, not at all competent in the 2nd half.

They’ve been playing significantly better. That said, any offense that is completely one dimensional is going to get crushed over time unless that one thing is absolutely elite. Iowa has a solid line and a good RB room, but neither group is elite. With no real threat of a passing game, the running game is going to suffer. Minnesota always has at least a competent D under Fleck and they were absolutely not going to let Iowa run. Iowa had to get something going in the passing game to open things up. I thought heading into halftime that maybe they’d do it - Hill was 7/13 for almost 100 yards in the first half. Clearly not world-beating stuff, but vaguely competent. Clearly, not at all competent in the 2nd half.
No, we haven’t been playing significantly better on offense. We miraculously beat M St on a DeJean punt return, Deacon passed for 38 yards. And then 37 against Wisconsin and then the disastrous effort yesterday of negative yards for a half. If we played a top 25 team it would look similar to the Penn St game because you can’t put your defense out there for 45 minutes. But we can play this way against Minnesota, Illinois, etc because they all stink as well.

Reactions: hawkize
No, we haven’t been playing significantly better on offense. We miraculously beat M St on a DeJean punt return, Deacon passed for 38 yards. And then 37 against Wisconsin and then the disastrous effort yesterday of negative yards for a half. If we played a top 25 team it would look similar to the Penn St game because you can’t put your defense out there for 45 minutes. But we can play this way against Minnesota, Illinois, etc because they all stink as well.
If you follow the thread, @RocknRollface quoted a previous comment by me about improved line play (and bolded that line specifically). I then replied to his comment and reiterated that the Iowa line has been significantly better this year. They have been. None of that was about the offense as a whole, which continues to be an absolute dumpster fire in the middle of a tire fire.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT