ADVERTISEMENT

If the B10 goes to 8 conference games......

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
"We" would get to schedule 1 more non con if the conference goes to 8. Sooooo..... Does GB pick another patsy and make sure KF gets his 7 wins or does the overwhelming outcry of the fans finally get us a decent OOC game each year? (It sounds like 2022 is when this would start so I would imagine we would see scheduling fairly soon)

What say you?

"We" would get to schedule 1 more non con if the conference goes to 8. Sooooo..... Does GB pick another patsy and make sure KF gets his 7 wins or does the overwhelming outcry of the fans finally get us a decent OOC game each year? (It sounds like 2022 is when this would start so I would imagine we would see scheduling fairly soon)

What say you?

I say the eight game Big Ten schedule probably isn't going to happen. The talk started with comments from Nebraska's AD last night. Here's what he had to say this morning, from the Husker board.

Steven M. Sipple‏ @HuskerExtraSip8m8 minutes ago

More
If you're reading "Big Ten mulling 8-game league schedule" into Moos' comments Monday on Sports Nightly ... slow that roll. The B1G in coming days will announce schedule news for 2023 and beyond, but it does NOT involve moving to 8. "That is NOT in the cards," Moos said this a.m.

"We" would get to schedule 1 more non con if the conference goes to 8. Sooooo..... Does GB pick another patsy and make sure KF gets his 7 wins or does the overwhelming outcry of the fans finally get us a decent OOC game each year?

The 9 game conf schedule just started in 2016. During the time of the 12 game schedule/8 game conf schedule, Iowa has primarily scheduled two P5, ISU and another. I would expect that trend to continue.

The only times Iowa didn't play two P5 was when they played NIU at Soldier Field.

What say you?
I think the fact that you think Kirk and "his 7 wins" has anything to do with it, or the "fan outcry" shows your delusion.

The 9 game conf schedule just started in 2016. During the time of the 12 game schedule/8 game conf schedule, Iowa has primarily scheduled two P5, ISU and another. I would expect that trend to continue.

The only times Iowa didn't play two P5 was when they played NIU at Soldier Field.

This hits the nail on the head. Iowa was one of the few to consistently schedule 2 power 5 teams even though one was isu when we had 4 non conference games. Couple years you’d see guys like Glenn mason schedule 4 non power 5 teams. Or look at isu besides FSU in 02’ have to go back to the 90s when they played someone not named Iowa for power 5 opponent.

I say the eight game Big Ten schedule probably isn't going to happen. The talk started with comments from Nebraska's AD last night. Here's what he had to say this morning, from the Husker board.

Steven M. Sipple‏ @HuskerExtraSip8m8 minutes ago

More
If you're reading "Big Ten mulling 8-game league schedule" into Moos' comments Monday on Sports Nightly ... slow that roll. The B1G in coming days will announce schedule news for 2023 and beyond, but it does NOT involve moving to 8. "That is NOT in the cards," Moos said this a.m.

It's idiotic to play 9 games when the SEC and ACC play 8. Why not put the conference on the same footing.

This is right. Iowa has generally played 10 P5 opponents per year, either with the 9-game conference schedule + Iowa State, or with 8 + ISU + some other P5. It's how we got Pitt for 4 games, and over the years teams like Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State and so on. I don't think the Big 10 will go back to 8 games, but if it did I would guess Iowa would schedule similarly.

My guess is crossover related to previous standings.
I'm wondering if Moos is retarded like Riley was...

LOL.. I don't think so. And the whole "don't prefer to play on Black Friday deal" was really a Eichorst statement, although Riley did support it as well.

It's idiotic to play 9 games when the SEC and ACC play 8. Why not put the conference on the same footing.
Why be in the conference if you're not going to play against most of the opposing teams in the conference? Playing a 9 game conference slate allows you to cycle through more of the opposite division teams ... and do so in fewer years.

There is still a strong pull within the B1G for the original teams to get to face each other. Irrespective of how it might impact your record - usually the Iowa's, Purdue's, and Nothwestern's of the world still want to be able to take their best shot at the OSU and Michigan's of the world. The fact that those games don't occur as often is already a point of contention for many.

To be perfectly honest, I'm hoping we eventually go to a 10 game conference schedule. I'd much rather see us play a conference opponent then some random mid-tier MAC team or similar. We don't play all of the conference teams often enough in my opinion.

Reactions: Carlton
8 conference games isn’t happening. The SEC and ACC will go to 9 before the B1G goes back to 8. Unless the other conferences go back to 8. In the end they need to be on equal footing for playoff positioning when it comes to # of conference games and playing FCS teams.

The one possibility to go back to 8 conf games is that P12 fans and media are convinced that 9 games is what is hurting them the most in national perception.

I think they are wrong, but they seem super convinced, so maybe someday the P12 drops to 8, which the B1G could possibly follow suit.

This is what I hate when analyst are talking about non conference schedule and rip one of the 3 teams you see the schools that play 9 conference games. SEC voted down year or so ago to go to 9 games with Saban being one of the few opposed. Most of these teams play 3 non power 5 schools. 2016 SEC 1 of 14 played 2 or more power 5 and 3 of 14 last season. Majority of Big 10, 12 and PAC 12 play 10+ power 5 schools a year when majority of ACC & SEC don't.

Reactions: td77

What say you?
I say it ain't happening.

To be perfectly honest, I'm hoping we eventually go to a 10 game conference schedule. I'd much rather see us play a conference opponent then some random mid-tier MAC team or similar. We don't play all of the conference teams often enough in my opinion.

I'd be up for that but only if the ACC/SEC would be forced to do the same. They will never do it on their own.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I'd be up for that but only if the ACC/SEC would be forced to do the same. They will never do it on their own.

You’re right. They’re perfectly fine scheduling Mercer and UMASS in mid November to rest their guys and pad the win column. They’ll never change unless forced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT