ADVERTISEMENT

What does Lester bring to the table?

Ive wondered about a scenario in my head....what if KF wanted Johns. Johns wasnt concerned about freedom to run his system because assurances were provided that wouldnt be the case. Just brainstorming here.

What if the main issue was that Johns asked if he would take this position if he would be considered first in line for HC if he was successful. But KF said, no my recommendation would be for X. I guess mostly thinking Seth at this point since he is AHC now. Perhaps he mentioned that Seth is the heir apparent but wed love to get you on board for OC to help and then hopefully he could be on as Seth's OC. Or some scenario that is similar.

Maybe Johns wanted to be given an openb shot at HC if he took the OC job, KF said not happening, and Johns rejected the offer for that reason....and here we are.
I really doubt that, because KF will not be making that decision. That will be Beth

I will say I like everyone am a little sceptical but unlike most I see the glass half full not half empty. I think one thing that may be an advantage is his possible recruiting connections in Michigan and Ohio since he was at Western Michigan and built some connections with HS coaches. Those two areas are spots Iowa likes to recruit and we have got some good kids out of those two states. I think the big thing for him is being able to just get the ball out and into our receiver's hands down field that in itself will open up the run game as teams cant load the box. Just seemed like our receiver's and Qbs have struggled to be on the same page. Everyone wanted that name hire all I want is the ball moved down the field.
KF did that in spades. Remember, our punter won the Ray Guy Award

I question Deacon hitting the portal. Where would he go? I have no idea about the QBs at the small Iowa colleges such as Ambrose, Iowa Wesleyan, Grinnell, Luther, Cornell and others, but without looking, I would rather have theirs.

I really doubt that, because KF will not be making that decision. That will be Beth
Sure. Agreed that he wont get to pick the next HC. But does KF know that? I am sure he is of the impression he will get to hand pick his successor.

Couldn't even lick the bootheels of any of the top teams (OSU, UM, PSU, WIS, OR, UCLA, USC, hell even NW has a better resumed OC).
I’m prolly naive on what all goes into being a good offensive coordinator; however, it’s likely not rocket science or brain surgery?!? I’m willing to give Lester a chance, particularly since he’s a proven quality former QB & he has some experience in both calling plays and being a head coach.

he’s a cheap, safe hire

that’s it
he isn't safe, he is a f*ck you hire. This is Ferentz telling everyone, especially Goetz, " go ahead try and make me change" The only way this ends is by Beth firing him or him "retiring" See Bobby Bowden as an example.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
First off I did care for Johns or Lester. What does Lester bring to the table? He has no recruits that want to come with him, He doesn't get a chance to bring any coaches with him. We have seen other B10 teams bring in new coaches that smokes anything we hire on offense. There are no players that will come to play for us on just his name recognition. KF had plenty of time to make a splash, but he chose not to. I feel KF was looking for someone to run his offense and Lester was the only guy that said he could and would do it.
Lester had the least to lose by taking the job just like O’Keefe, Davis, and BF. All of them were in a position where this was a much bigger opportunity than what they had. This allows KF to keep them in check and not have a free reign. I am sure the OC’s that interviewed KF saw the restrictions that were going to be placed on them. Being last nationally, that is a red flag for someone wanting to achieve the success he desires. We will see.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT