ADVERTISEMENT

What does Lester bring to the table?

I will say I like everyone am a little sceptical but unlike most I see the glass half full not half empty. I think one thing that may be an advantage is his possible recruiting connections in Michigan and Ohio since he was at Western Michigan and built some connections with HS coaches. Those two areas are spots Iowa likes to recruit and we have got some good kids out of those two states. I think the big thing for him is being able to just get the ball out and into our receiver's hands down field that in itself will open up the run game as teams cant load the box. Just seemed like our receiver's and Qbs have struggled to be on the same page. Everyone wanted that name hire all I want is the ball moved down the field.

I would like to see him run some pistol formation. Run more from the shotgun. Maybe a little RPO. Marco has wheels and could be very effective in that role.
I am no football expert but I could just look at the formation under BF and guess the play 90 % of the time.
Nobody needed to steal our plays.

Does Iowa lose any one to the portal because of this hire?? (any one the team whats to keep anyway)

This.

Good news for Marco and the kid in the 2023 class who's name escapes me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Deacon ends up in the portal after the spring.

At the very least we could see some RPO packages for Marco even with Cade as the starter. Cade can function in RPO, he did it at Michigan at times. Just isn't a run threat after the injuries. He can operate out of it though.

We should help the kid fulfil his dream of playing for Fordham. I'll give him credit for trying, but he's not a Big Ten quarterback. But Kirk values experience over ability, so he'll be the first one on the field after Cade finally destroys his knees beyond repair. We all know what's going to happen. We've seen it too many times.

Reactions: spiderland
I would like to see him run some pistol formation. Run more from the shotgun. Maybe a little RPO. Marco has wheels and could be very effective in that role.
I am no football expert but I could just look at the formation under BF and guess the play 90 % of the time.
That was doable under KOK, GD, and BF - KF wants a particular scheme run and it handicaps the team. There are very slight variances, but it is an offense that KF decides. If Lester is allowed to open it up we may have a chance, but KF wouldn't let his own son make any significant enhancements.

For as long as I can remember under Ferentz, opposing defenses have said they knew exactly what play we were running. What little success we've had comes from perfect execution of those plays. When the execution is just slightly off, the play blows up because the defense knows what we are doing.
Imagine our chance for success if we manage the perfect execution and the defense doesn't know exactly where the ball is going. It boggles the mind.

Reactions: punk1980
We should help the kid fulfil his dream of playing for Fordham. I'll give him credit for trying, but he's not a Big Ten quarterback. But Kirk values experience over ability, so he'll be the first one on the field after Cade finally destroys his knees beyond repair. We all know what's going to happen. We've seen it too many times.
This. This board would go nuclear if Cade blows out a knee again because #10 will be trotting out there for the rest of the season in that scenario, guaranteed. To be clear, I pray that doesn’t happen.

And lol at predictions of Deacon heading to the portal. You don’t think he wants his school paid for him anymore?

This. This board would go nuclear if Cade blows out a knee again because #10 will be trotting out there for the rest of the season in that scenario, guaranteed. To be clear, I pray that doesn’t happen.

And lol at predictions of Deacon heading to the portal. You don’t think he wants his school paid for him anymore?
If DH is ahead of Lainez in Spring ball, I see ML using the portal (and wouldn't blame him one bit).

I'd like to see the spring open practices before passing judgement.

If DH is ahead of Lainez in Spring ball, I see ML using the portal (and wouldn't blame him one bit).
Yep. Hill is not going anywhere. The only question is whether or not KF is too stubborn to allow ML to jump Hill on the depth chart. Hmmm…if only we had 25 years of past experience to provide some insight there…

#10 will be QB3

Just sad that this was the best we could get after Brian. Cade will last 3 plays and he'll be down again. I am tired of suffering this coach.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Ive wondered about a scenario in my head....what if KF wanted Johns. Johns wasnt concerned about freedom to run his system because assurances were provided that wouldnt be the case. Just brainstorming here.

What if the main issue was that Johns asked if he would take this position if he would be considered first in line for HC if he was successful. But KF said, no my recommendation would be for X. I guess mostly thinking Seth at this point since he is AHC now. Perhaps he mentioned that Seth is the heir apparent but wed love to get you on board for OC to help and then hopefully he could be on as Seth's OC. Or some scenario that is similar.

Maybe Johns wanted to be given an openb shot at HC if he took the OC job, KF said not happening, and Johns rejected the offer for that reason....and here we are.

OkayGive the new OC a chance...
Give the new OC a chance to turn our 275 pound QB into a run threat?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Give the new OC a chance to turn our 275 pound QB into a run threat?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
If he does in fact install some RPO, Marco is obviously the choice over Deacon. Wouldn't be surprised to see Deacon in the portal after the spring if thats the case.

Before or after his knee blew out? Because now it’s after.
Before because he didn't play for Michigan after his major knee injury. Doesn't really matter either way....RPO doesn't require a running QB (which Cade never was anyway)

Ive wondered about a scenario in my head....what if KF wanted Johns. Johns wasnt concerned about freedom to run his system because assurances were provided that wouldnt be the case. Just brainstorming here.

What if the main issue was that Johns asked if he would take this position if he would be considered first in line for HC if he was successful. But KF said, no my recommendation would be for X. I guess mostly thinking Seth at this point since he is AHC now. Perhaps he mentioned that Seth is the heir apparent but wed love to get you on board for OC to help and then hopefully he could be on as Seth's OC. Or some scenario that is similar.

Maybe Johns wanted to be given an openb shot at HC if he took the OC job, KF said not happening, and Johns rejected the offer for that reason....and here we are.
Highly doubt that was in play and KF doesn't get to choose the next HC. Seth being named AHC doesn't necessarily mean he is the heir apparent either.

What most here aren't fully garnering with the RPO, is that it simplifies the blocking scheme, the line blocks as if every play is a run. This certainly simplifies that aspect of the scheme.

Before or after his knee blew out? Because now it’s after.
RPO doesn't equal read option..
"RPO is short for Run Pass Option. The run-pass option allows the Quarterback to hand the ball to the running back or pass the football to a receiver. The offensive line blocks as if it’s run play, which stresses the defense to play the run or the pass."

Doesn't mention anything about the QB running the ball.

First off I did care for Johns or Lester. What does Lester bring to the table? He has no recruits that want to come with him, He doesn't get a chance to bring any coaches with him. We have seen other B10 teams bring in new coaches that smokes anything we hire on offense. There are no players that will come to play for us on just his name recognition. KF had plenty of time to make a splash, but he chose not to. I feel KF was looking for someone to run his offense and Lester was the only guy that said he could and would do it.
Good post, I hope this turns into a great choice for Iowa football and all the fans.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Why? Do you realize Cade ran RPO at Michigan?

RPO doesn't equal read option..
"RPO is short for Run Pass Option. The run-pass option allows the Quarterback to hand the ball to the running back or pass the football to a receiver. The offensive line blocks as if it’s run play, which stresses the defense to play the run or the pass."

Doesn't mention anything about the QB running the ball.
It doesn’t but it does rely on the o-line to hold blocks a second or 2 longer and that’s an eternity with this line. RPO with a bad line is a catastrophe without a mobile qb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT