ADVERTISEMENT

What does Lester bring to the table?

IAHUNTER

HR All-American
Dec 26, 2002
Maquoketa, IA
First off I did care for Johns or Lester. What does Lester bring to the table? He has no recruits that want to come with him, He doesn't get a chance to bring any coaches with him. We have seen other B10 teams bring in new coaches that smokes anything we hire on offense. There are no players that will come to play for us on just his name recognition. KF had plenty of time to make a splash, but he chose not to. I feel KF was looking for someone to run his offense and Lester was the only guy that said he could and would do it.

First off I did care for Johns or Lester. What does Lester bring to the table? He has no recruits that want to come with him, He doesn't get a chance to bring any coaches with him. We have seen other B10 teams bring in new coaches that smokes anything we hire on offense. There are no players that will come to play for us on just his name recognition. KF had plenty of time to make a splash, but he chose not to. I feel KF was looking for someone to run his offense and Lester was the only guy that said he could and would do it.
I think you nailed it in your last sentence.

Lester was a great QB at WMU. Living in the Kalamazoo area, I had the opportunity to watch him both as a player and a coach. As HC, he was a very good recruiter and has an excellent offensive mind. The WMU Bronco offense excelled under his leadership. His players loved him. Lester is quality guy, a great family man, and very personable. He and Kirk share a lot of similar good qualities. They will work well together. With Lester's offensive mind and our always excellent defense, we will have a much improved team next year.

Lester was a great QB at WMU. Living in the Kalamazoo area, I had the opportunity to watch him both as a player and a coach. As HC, he was a very good recruiter and has an excellent offensive mind. The WMU Bronco offense excelled under his leadership. His players loved him. Lester is quality guy, a great family man, and very personable. He and Kirk share a lot of similar good qualities. They will work well together. With Lester's offensive mind and our always excellent defense, we will have a much improved team next year.
Hope you are right

Predictable Ferentz hire.
Next year will tell us if this was a good hire.
Look to see how / who we recruit for offense.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Ferentz absolutely blew it on this hire. We waited through all the transfer portal qb's going elsewhere for a guy who would have jumped on board instantly. Iowa needed a coach who could bring a qb familiar with his style with him. Im sure the offense will be similar but with new terminologies to adapt to. My only hope is that he can maybe fix our qb development issue, start recruiting dual threat qb's and maybe get our wide recievers to run clean crisp routes to help the passing game.

Ferentz absolutely blew it on this hire. We waited through all the transfer portal qb's going elsewhere for a guy who would have jumped on board instantly. Iowa needed a coach who could bring a qb familiar with his style with him. Im sure the offense will be similar but with new terminologies to adapt to. My only hope is that he can maybe fix our qb development issue, start recruiting dual threat qb's and maybe get our wide recievers to run clean crisp routes to help the passing game.
Deacon Hill has a pretty high football IQ I'm very confident he can adjust to whatever adjustments Tim Lester makes with the offense.

I'm willing to take a wait and see attitude. He will be an improvement over BF. Has tons of experience. I just hope that KF leaves him alone and lets him run his offense. If we are just a mediocre offense that can avoid 3 and outs,will be an improvement. I'm glad he didn't promote Buddy.

Iowa is sort of at a crossroads as we get deeper into P2. If KF and Goetz don't get this offensive malaise corrected and Iowa doesn't get out and compete with the best early on we will be at a big disadvantage that will likely be hard to overcome. Lack of skill player interest and lack of $$$ to compensate them. When money distribution eventually goes to how well you perform and ratings you draw, we'll get further behind.

Just where are we going to get room on our roster for a QB. We are already over our limit for scholarships and need attrition to happen.

Iowa is sort of at a crossroads as we get deeper into P2. If KF and Goetz don't get this offensive malaise corrected and Iowa doesn't get out and compete with the best early on we will be at a big disadvantage that will likely be hard to overcome. Lack of skill player interest and lack of $$$ to compensate them. When money distribution eventually goes to how well you perform and ratings you draw, we'll get further behind.
Look at it this way. For many top OC candidates, they know that this will likely be a two year stint. You take who you can get. Lester is going to have to right the ship fast to impress the next Head Coach or move on to his next stint, he will have to work hard to accomplish that. That said, Iowa will have two very good TEs next year, and hopefully an improved line and QB. The RB room is full. We will see improvement.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Iowa won’t run RPO with Cade or Deacon.
Cade:
Old Man Animation GIF by Shilstone Arts

Deacon:

fat cat GIF

he’s a cheap, safe hire

that’s it
Do you know what Iowa is paying him? NO. Have you looked at the stats of WMU's offense? Unfortunate that you and many on this board have such a negative bias against Kirk that you've tarred and feathered Lester without giving him a chance.

FWIW, he runs a balanced attack running the football and passing. Had numerous RB's and WR's with over a thousand yards in a season. TE's are in the mix also. In 2019 they had a TE with 50+ catches and over 600 yards. When you are TEU, you can't give up that part of the offense. If you don't believe me, go look it up.

Last edited:
Thank you for an informed assessment of coach Lester. I looked at his stats this morning and I like the balanced attack he ran. Had some excellent receivers their and used his TE's. Like hearing his players loved him. Important to Iowa's player's first approach.

Last edited:
Absolutely NOTHING! This is a garbage hire, but a bitter old fool who is butt hurt his baby boy got canned!!!

Do you know what Iowa is paying him? NO. Have you looked at the stats of WMU's offense? Unfortunate that you and many on this board have such a negative bias against Kirk that you've tarred and feathered Lester without giving him a chance.

FWIW, he runs a balanced attack running the football and passing. Had numerous RB's and WR's with over a thousand yards in a season. TE's are in the mix also. In 2019 they had a TE with 50+ catches and over 600 yards. When you are TEU, you can't give up that part of the offense. If you don't believe me, go look it up.
It’s really worth nothing because Kirk nullifies whatever talent you have as a coach.

KOK ran a up tempo spread offense. High scoring.
Neutered

GDGD coached top talent, Hiesman Winner, National Championship on his resume
Horrid with Iowa scheme : talent

Brian — Took the worst aspects of GDGD and his father’s philosophy and made Iowa a laughingstock

Lester — TBD, but no way Kirk lets THIS guy do his own thing. I hope he can get more production in the red zone if we’re gonna still go heavy TE. For being TE U, they catch next to 0 TD

Instead of hoping, I think we should all be praying for this 😁

It’s really worth nothing because Kirk nullifies whatever talent you have as a coach.

KOK ran a up tempo spread offense. High scoring.
Neutered

GDGD coached top talent, Hiesman Winner, National Championship on his resume
Horrid with Iowa scheme : talent

Brian — Took the worst aspects of GDGD and his father’s philosophy and made Iowa a laughingstock

Lester — TBD, but no way Kirk lets THIS guy do his own thing. I hope he can get more production in the red zone if we’re gonna still go heavy TE. For being TE U, they catch next to 0 TD
If KF hobbles the offense , it is time to clean house at Iowa.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
This.

Good news for Marco and the kid in the 2023 class who's name escapes me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Deacon ends up in the portal after the spring.

At the very least we could see some RPO packages for Marco even with Cade as the starter. Cade can function in RPO, he did it at Michigan at times. Just isn't a run threat after the injuries. He can operate out of it though.

Reactions: BGHAWK

You are right, but KF has built this fan base to except mediocrity on the offensive side of the ball. The fans have accepted every twist that KF has thrown at them. Now the fans are getting tired of all the bull. Iowa fans are great, but they can only take so much. KF needed to go balls deep and found a qualified big ten coach. Remember if it wasn't for Beth, we would still have Brian.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT