ADVERTISEMENT

If the gambling investigation is ruled unconstitutional

Can Shannon get another year?
No. Remember, the NCAA is NOT a govt entity. This may affect some legal cases, but the majority of players weren't charged with breaking a law.
Fact is, they broke NCAA rules. Right or wrong, they knew what they were doing and got caught. Maybe the punishment was too harsh, but it was legit.
They shouldn't have broke the rules and saying it happens everywhere is NOT and excuse.

No. Remember, the NCAA is NOT a govt entity. This may affect some legal cases, but the majority of players weren't charged with breaking a law.
Fact is, they broke NCAA rules. Right or wrong, they knew what they were doing and got caught. Maybe the punishment was too harsh, but it was legit.
They shouldn't have broke the rules and saying it happens everywhere is NOT and excuse.
Still think UM should have got the ban hammer for doing what they did...wasn't against the "law" but seemed outside of the NCAA rules:

Michigan says it is cooperating with the NCAA, which does not outlaw sign-stealing, but has rules against in-person scouting of opponents and using electronic equipment to steal signs. The allegations against Michigan suggest a far more robust approach to gathering signs.
*Advance scouting in person, at games, is a rules violation in college football. Based on vast evidence both hard (plane tickets, game tickets) and anecdotal, Michigan has violated this rule profusely for at least the past two seasons.Nov 9, 2023

None of the players may ever get their years back but on the bright side they can sue the Iowa DCI and for those of us in the work force there are going to be some employment opportunities at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

None of the players may ever get their years back but on the bright side they can sue the Iowa DCI and for those of us in the work force there are going to be some employment opportunities at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.
If they did this, I can just imagine they were doing other shit looking into and at stuff they had no business doing simply because they had the power and ability to do it.

not sure there will be any money available here since DCI agents will be covered under “qualified immunity”.

not sure there will be any money available here since DCI agents will be covered under “qualified immunity”.
LOL, the state of Iowa isn't. Pretty sure a couple of these agents will be losing their job.

I don't know the power of the courts, but can't a court simply say any organization can't use this illegally (alleged) obtained information for any decision affecting the student athlete's life, including the NCAA?

I understand the NCAA isn’t a governmental agency. But I wonder if the fact that a significant portion of the membership of the NCAA being government entities actually blurs the line a bit. At least in a judge’s eyes it could. We already know the NCAA bows down to any lawsuit. And they just gave a kid a 9th year of eligibility. If I was a player I’d file a lawsuit against the state for violating my civil rights and another one against the NCAA seeking eligibility to be re-established.

I don't know the power of the courts, but can't a court simply say any organization can't use this illegally (alleged) obtained information for any decision affecting the student athlete's life, including the NCAA?
I highly doubt that. The NCAA has there own rules and they are not a govt entity. Although their ules on gambling are certainly outdated, as they're written the players included did in fact break them , AND they knew that they did. For guys like Noah, best to just move on at this point. This case will be tied up in the courts for years and the DCI will be held accountable for some big payouts most likely. Unfortunately, that just means IOWA tax payers will foot the bill for this travesty at some point. Don't forget to hold Gov Reynolds accountable as well, as she signed off on this mess.

I understand the NCAA isn’t a governmental agency. But I wonder if the fact that a significant portion of the membership of the NCAA being government entities actually blurs the line a bit. At least in a judge’s eyes it could. We already know the NCAA bows down to any lawsuit. And they just gave a kid a 9th year of eligibility. If I was a player I’d file a lawsuit against the state for violating my civil rights and another one against the NCAA seeking eligibility to be re-established.
And what good would that do someone like Noah? He's already 23 or 24 yrs old. IF he has a shot at the league it will be this year. It will be a couple of more years before this crap is resolved in the courts, and for most like him if they got some eligibility restored what good does that do a couple of years from now?

As a player absolutely. Again though for you fans who still live in the state, don't forget WHO is going to foot the bill for those checks.....
That doesnt matter who foots the bill as the whole idea of suing and winning is to tell Iowans they have rogue people in state govt and law enforcement that screwed up, cheated and hurt people and they have to pay and even get fired

That doesnt matter who foots the bill as the whole idea of suing and winning is to tell Iowans they have rogue people in state govt and law enforcement that screwed up, cheated and hurt people and they have to pay and even get fired
Did I NOT just say if I was a player I probably would sue as well? My point is that people all too often jump on this lets put this all through the courts and then always seem to forget that THEY WILL be the ones paying the bill.

Shannon was killed in this process did nothing illegal, but paid massive consequences for a minor violation. There is nothing any of the students can do against the NCAA, however there is a very good chance at a settlement with the Iowa. I still expect more to come out on this. You have enough people poking around and some lawyers and news agencies smelling blood.

Oh absolutely. Anyone who doesn't think the feds are doing stuff like this and using geofencing to track people are living under a rock somewhere.
Just rewatched ‘Enemy of the State’. While I laughed off some of the stuff when it originally came out, I now realize it portrays exactly what the feds are doing and have been doing for a long time.

Reactions: bbwretler
The NCAA didn't use illegally obtained info. They got their information directly from the schools involved and the athletes admitted to the violations.

Just rewatched ‘Enemy of the State’. While I laughed off some of the stuff when it originally came out, I now realize it portrays exactly what the feds are doing and have been doing for a long time.

I did the same. That one and "I, Robot" can really provide some current-day "holy $hit" moments.

Reactions: Footbol
Shannon was killed in this process did nothing illegal, but paid massive consequences for a minor violation. There is nothing any of the students can do against the NCAA, however there is a very good chance at a settlement with the Iowa. I still expect more to come out on this. You have enough people poking around and some lawyers and news agencies smelling blood.
Unfortunately the only ones who will benefit much from this are the lawyers. SOSDD......

Unfortunately the only ones who will benefit much from this are the lawyers. SOSDD......
I'll disagree, but the lawyers will do well.

The kid from Newton that was an ass but put through several sobriety tests and was still arrested even though he blew a 0.00 will likely get anywhere from 100k to 500k. There was also a guy who a police officer charged into his house after pleasantries, tased and put in custody, either has or will soon get a settlement in the same general range. I am not sure what the value would be, but personally I think anyone charged could easily be in the 100k range. I think there may be a few that state they were damaged more, could get as high as 500k to 1 million. There are 3 that could be even higher. You have the Iowa State player who went to the NFL and is fighting now, Noah Shannon who lost a whole year and likely hurt his draft stock, Keaton Athony who left school and went to the draft and what should have been a 3rd to 5th rounder was undrafted. Likely lost out on 500k to 1 million signing bonus. Ultimately some of these may even be higher with punitive damages.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT