ADVERTISEMENT

If there are no fans in the stands

Well let’s use some facts here. The diamond princess cruise ship would serve as a good example. Of the 3711 passengers and crew, there were 712 infections. Now that is about a 19% infection rate and I feel we can agree that having everyone quarantined on a cruise ship would provide some pretty close contact and easy transmission. So if we take your number of 100,000 people at a 19% rate we are looking at around 19,000 people getting infected. Mind you this is before the CDC changed course on wearing masks. There have been studies that show there being an 80% reduction in infections when masks are worn. So 80% of 19,000 would be about 3800 cases. This doesn’t factor in the amount of people that already have antibodies that would produce a herd immunity effect. I can only imagine the herd immunity and people with antibodies to be much higher come August. So yes, anything at this point is just kicking the can. If you are scared, stay home.
1) Diamond Princess quickly locked people in their rooms
2) You think football fans are going to wear masks?? I gotta laugh, sorry. That's comical.
3) Yelling has a higher virus transmission rate (air coming from deeper in the lungs).
4) Yes, a (small) part of the attendees will probably be immune already

Wear masks. No tailgating. If you are high risk stay home.
You gotta be kidding me. People compalin about wearing a mask into Costco for God's sake. You think you'll have any compliance on such a "no tailgating wear a mask" directive? Dream on.

Last edited:
I certainly hope you are wrong because this is a misinformation campaign of epic proportions. When I see goofs driving around by themselves with a mask on I understand the depth of the problem. MSM has scared people while select governors put those at the greatest risk in harms way to drive up death totals. ( hello NY). The CDC, WHO, Gates, they all want you panicked. It’s working it would appear. If the home opener is open to the public I will have zero issues going. And if by chance I get hit by a bus and die.....it’s not frinking Covid19 related. What a sham.

This is a tough dynamic. Half the country are wusses and the rest of us (you and I are a bit more brazen and pragmatic) and will play the odds. 99% are in our favor currently. If this country acted this way in war time we would all be speaking German and driving Camrys. Well, we are driving Camrys.

1) Diamond Princess quickly locked people in their rooms
2) You think football fans are going to wear masks?? I gotta laugh, sorry. That's comical.
3) Yelling has a higher virus transmission rate (air coming from deeper in the lungs).
4) Yes, a (small) part of the attendees will probably be immune already
So because you assume that people won’t wear masks you want to throw away a football season? In terms of the diamond princess, everything I have been lead to believe about this virus is it spreads days before symptoms show up and I can’t imagine sanitation was up to par with a novel virus showing up. Yelling can be countered with a mask covering the mouth. Keep in mind it is May 19th, Week one is 108 days away.

You gotta be kidding me. People compalin about wearing a mask into Costco for God's sake. You think you'll have any compliance on such a "no tailgating wear a mask" directive? Dream on.
Then organized sports are over forever if there is no vaccine.

That makes sense.

Reactions: yrunvs
So because you assume that people won’t wear masks you want to throw away a football season? In terms of the diamond princess, everything I have been lead to believe about this virus is it spreads days before symptoms show up and I can’t imagine sanitation was up to par with a novel virus showing up. Yelling can be countered with a mask covering the mouth. Keep in mind it is May 19th, Week one is 108 days away.
No, and I don't want to "throw away the football season". I think there's a decent chance we'll have no fan college football this fall. But if any plan had mandatory masks in mind, they don't now after seeing how our country has reacted to being asked to wear a mask in businesses.

I think it’s unfortunate you are basing your opinion on people you never met acting in a way you have no idea if they actually will.

That would be the most bizarre thing I could think of and who would get the home field advantage? JK... it would nullify all that and would SUCK as I would rather wait and have the season played with the fans in the stadium not this half ass shit - not even with the social distancing either .. got to pack Kinnick and make the opposing team make it feel like a never ending nightmare

The fact of the matter is we still don't know anything. Most, if not all, pandemics last for years and take even longer to understand; let's not flex our arrogance and assume we have all the answers after 4 months.

I'm sure some of you have seen this posted somewhere, or lived it, but we had a very similar pandemic from 1968-1970. Roughly 8 months after that pandemic started in the United States, and right in the heart of the timeline, an estimated 500,000 people decided to go to Woodstock. No masks, no hand sanitizer, DEFINITELY no social distancing, and the world kept spinning. And from what I can tell, people had a pretty damn good time.

I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do. I'm also not telling any one person what they should do, every situation is different and you should do what's right for you and yours. I'm just saying after looking at what 500,000 people pulled off with far inferior health standards, I'd happily join 70,000 to crack a beer and watch my Hawks.

The fact of the matter is we still don't know anything. Most, if not all, pandemics last for years and take even longer to understand; let's not flex our arrogance and assume we have all the answers after 4 months.

I'm sure some of you have seen this posted somewhere, or lived it, but we had a very similar pandemic from 1968-1970. Roughly 8 months after that pandemic started in the United States, and right in the heart of the timeline, an estimated 500,000 people decided to go to Woodstock. No masks, no hand sanitizer, DEFINITELY no social distancing, and the world kept spinning. And from what I can tell, people had a pretty damn good time.

I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do. I'm also not telling any one person what they should do, every situation is different and you should do what's right for you and yours. I'm just saying after looking at what 500,000 people pulled off with far inferior health standards, I'd happily join 70,000 to crack a beer and watch my Hawks.

Hong Kong Flu Deaths
In comparison to other pandemics, the Hong Kong flu yielded a low death rate, with a case-fatality ratio below 0.5% making it a category 2 disease on the Pandemic Severity Index. The pandemic infected an estimated 500,000 Hong Kong residents, 15% of the population. In the United States, approximately 33,800 people died.

https://www.sinobiological.com/research/virus/1968-influenza-pandemic-hong-kong-flu

That's the difference.

EDIT: CDC estimates 100,000 deaths total from Hong Kong flu. That was without severe mitigation. COVID19 shut down the country and has killed over 90k. Different diseases.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Hong Kong Flu Deaths
In comparison to other pandemics, the Hong Kong flu yielded a low death rate, with a case-fatality ratio below 0.5% making it a category 2 disease on the Pandemic Severity Index. The pandemic infected an estimated 500,000 Hong Kong residents, 15% of the population. In the United States, approximately 33,800 people died.

https://www.sinobiological.com/research/virus/1968-influenza-pandemic-hong-kong-flu

That's the difference.

EDIT: CDC estimates 100,000 deaths total from Hong Kong flu. That was without severe mitigation. COVID19 shut down the country and has killed over 90k. Different diseases.

Oh I agree, very different diseases. My point is more about the scope. It's easy to present the numbers without much context behind it. In 1969 the U.S. population was estimated at about 202,000,000. At 100,000 deaths, Hong Kong Flu took out about .04% of the population. Not 4%, .04%. Right now with current population in the U.S., Corona has taken about .028% of our citizens. At the current rate it'll take at least another month to get to the same percentage of deaths as Hong Kong, and that's if current numbers are factual and the rate doesn't slow. Don't get me wrong, the magnitude of deaths from both events is terrifying. And in the current pandemic, that number is unfortunately going to keep going up. But at some point we have to come to terms with the fact that the virus isn't going anywhere. This bastard will continue to evolve and we'll have more waves of it, as we have with almost all other new diseases. We've taken great precautions to this point and it's helped, but sooner or later we have to face it head on and continuing to shelter only delays the inevitable.

I've read your comments through this thread and I completely understand your viewpoint, your opinion is valued. I mean no disrespect by anything I say. I actually think open dialogue is important in times like this.

I figure this will start with baseball, but sometime this summer I expect you will be taking tests to see if you the virus to enter to go to a ball game, or you will have to have a card that says you already have the antibodies. It won't eliminate the risk, will be slightly invasive, but you will be able to have fans in the stands. This is the likely direction. But the amount of tests needed will be immense.

I figure this will start with baseball, but sometime this summer I expect you will be taking tests to see if you the virus to enter to go to a ball game, or you will have to have a card that says you already have the antibodies. It won't eliminate the risk, will be slightly invasive, but you will be able to have fans in the stands. This is the likely direction. But the amount of tests needed will be immense.
Few states are at the minimum recommended testing levels currently. It will be hard to take testing and lab resources and use for a pure entertainment activity. Maybe later in the summer.

Few states are at the minimum recommended testing levels currently. It will be hard to take testing and lab resources and use for a pure entertainment activity. Maybe later in the summer.
Unfortunately that's exactly what is going to happen... Priorities are backwards in the United States.

70,000 in the stands + 30,000 in the lots that don't attend a game, from all over the state/country? There will be outbreaks larger than 5.

One person infected 53 at a choir practice in Washington state - and they were trying to keep their distance from each other.

Florida says hi. People said that they opened too early and massive outbreaks would take place. Thousands on the beach. Yes, Florida says hi. Deaths down. Hospitalizations down. Now on the other hand lock people down and cases start to go up. Weakened immune systems. Vulnerable people are higher risk. Ask NY, NJ, PA and Michigan. I laugh out loud at people driving around in their car bt themself wearing a mask. Sheeple.

Reactions: unclesammy
Florida says hi. People said that they opened too early and massive outbreaks would take place. Thousands on the beach. Yes, Florida says hi. Deaths down. Hospitalizations down. Now on the other hand lock people down and cases start to go up. Weakened immune systems. Vulnerable people are higher risk. Ask NY, NJ, PA and Michigan. I laugh out loud at people driving around in their car bt themself wearing a mask. Sheeple.
Standing shoulder to shoulder in Kinnick stadium is a very unique experience for many reasons. There are not many other ways to have such a large amount of possible exposure.

I know by the amount of farts I seem to continuously smell at the games that air circulation isn't always the best in the stands.

Oh I agree, very different diseases. My point is more about the scope. It's easy to present the numbers without much context behind it. In 1969 the U.S. population was estimated at about 202,000,000. At 100,000 deaths, Hong Kong Flu took out about .04% of the population. Not 4%, .04%. Right now with current population in the U.S., Corona has taken about .028% of our citizens. At the current rate it'll take at least another month to get to the same percentage of deaths as Hong Kong, and that's if current numbers are factual and the rate doesn't slow. Don't get me wrong, the magnitude of deaths from both events is terrifying. And in the current pandemic, that number is unfortunately going to keep going up. But at some point we have to come to terms with the fact that the virus isn't going anywhere. This bastard will continue to evolve and we'll have more waves of it, as we have with almost all other new diseases. We've taken great precautions to this point and it's helped, but sooner or later we have to face it head on and continuing to shelter only delays the inevitable.

I've read your comments through this thread and I completely understand your viewpoint, your opinion is valued. I mean no disrespect by anything I say. I actually think open dialogue is important in times like this.
We can live nearly normally with this virus and still protect ourselves. Especially this summer, stay outside!

Football games are such unique events for many reasons. People from all over the state and country come together in a dense stadium. Yelling on third downs will release more virus from contagious people than quiet talking. No way will there be uniform observation of mask recommendations. Add lots of alcohol and disastrous hygiene (port-a-potties, and many don't wash their hands in the stadium bathrooms, heathens) this disease will come in with people and spread at the games.

We can live nearly normally with this virus and still protect ourselves. Especially this summer, stay outside!

Football games are such unique events for many reasons. People from all over the state and country come together in a dense stadium. Yelling on third downs will release more virus from contagious people than quiet talking. No way will there be uniform observation of mask recommendations. Add lots of alcohol and disastrous hygiene (port-a-potties, and many don't wash their hands in the stadium bathrooms, heathens) this disease will come in with people and spread at the games.
I live in Iowa City. Most my neighbors hate football and the drunk people it brings, but that's just an annoyance. I've been curious what the city of Iowa City will say if we forge ahead with football games during a pandemic. A lot of people here won't like potential infection coming into the city. Our new infection numbers are very low right now, a testament to this city taking stay at home seriously (and the University sending their employees home early).

All of the people who think there will be 60+K in the stands are deluded. Even with a vaccine, unlikely by that time frame, football or any major crowded sporting event will be vastly different. To think otherwise is just a dream.

Well Ohio State looking at 20,000 fans in a 100k stadium. So maybe 14,000 or so in Kinnick. So would be mighty easy to enforce a mask policy and hell yes I would wear one to go watch the Hawks. Give us all helmets with full face shields.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
All of the people who think there will be 60+K in the stands are deluded. Even with a vaccine, unlikely by that time frame, football or any major crowded sporting event will be vastly different. To think otherwise is just a dream.

The last time I was at Menards it was like Black Friday. Almost couldn't get a parking spot.

I live in Iowa City. Most my neighbors hate football and the drunk people it brings, but that's just an annoyance. I've been curious what the city of Iowa City will say if we forge ahead with football games during a pandemic. A lot of people here won't like potential infection coming into the city. Our new infection numbers are very low right now, a testament to this city taking stay at home seriously (and the University sending their employees home early).

What they think 20+ thousand going back to school is gonna do?

Hong Kong Flu Deaths

That's the difference.

Maybe that one did not transmit as easily as COVID. If COVID did not transmit as easily as it does it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Well Ohio State looking at 20,000 fans in a 100k stadium. So maybe 14,000 or so in Kinnick. So would be mighty easy to enforce a mask policy and hell yes I would wear one to go watch the Hawks. Give us all helmets with full face shields.
Something like this is what I was thinking. Don’t know why it needs to be all or nothing. Limit the amount of tickets sold with preference given to season ticket holders. Ensure that spectators have adequate space and avoid selling to visiting fans. This will at least help ensure that the game doesn’t feel like a closed door scrimmage. Worst case scenario it’s like going and playing a game at Illinois under regular circumstances

I've been saving up batteries and small rocks in anticipation of payback to the ISU band in September.

WTH am I gonna do with 8 dozen "C" batteries?

Would people pay 5x the regular ticket cost? I mean if schools were trying to not lose a shit ton of money this year.

Maybe they could sell 20,000 or so tickets with seats appropriately socially-distanced, and then anyone else that has tested positive for the antibodies can buy a general admission ticket to sit in the open spaces.

Maybe they could sell 20,000 or so tickets with seats appropriately socially-distanced, and then anyone else that has tested positive for the antibodies can buy a general admission ticket to sit in the open spaces.
Sounds like a lot of coordination for an athletic dept that forgets Iowa is playing Wisconsin on the red pom pom promotion weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT