ADVERTISEMENT

If you could change the outcome of one match...

Some of you really dug up some heartbreak for me. Banach vs Schultz, all of Chad Z's NCAA finals, Lou vs Steve Williams.. ugh.. Gilman vs Cruz..damn, Lewboo vs Gibbons (the elbow dislocation match),
Dennis vs Ness, still pains me... Montell vs Russell (and Montell vs Dake, C'mon on Man, you just inside tripped him to his back, get the hell of his hips and settle in...-similar issue with Myles Martin vs Nickel, but I digress),
Deanna getting trounced/steam rolled by Chuerella after their Big Ten final which is the greatest match ever. Still pained by Pat Smith over Tom Ryan...
I will argue with anyone that Brock Lesner is the absolute worst wrestler to ever win an NCAA title. Oh how I wanted Hand to win that one. That pretty much sums them all up for me. Oh yeah, Bud Palmer getting DQ'd vs Lieberman in the NCAA finals. Are you kidding me? An Iowa wrestler in getting DQ'd for stalling.. say it ain't so!

Some of you really dug up some heartbreak for me. Banach vs Schultz, all of Chad Z's NCAA finals, Lou vs Steve Williams.. ugh.. Gilman vs Cruz..damn, Lewboo vs Gibbons (the elbow dislocation match),
Dennis vs Ness, still pains me... Montell vs Russell (and Montell vs Dake, C'mon on Man, you just inside tripped him to his back, get the hell of his hips and settle in...-similar issue with Myles Martin vs Nickel, but I digress),
Deanna getting trounced/steam rolled by Chuerella after their Big Ten final which is the greatest match ever. Still pained by Pat Smith over Tom Ryan...
I will argue with anyone that Brock Lesner is the absolute worst wrestler to ever win an NCAA title. Oh how I wanted Hand to win that one. That pretty much sums them all up for me. Oh yeah, Bud Palmer getting DQ'd vs Lieberman in the NCAA finals. Are you kidding me? An Iowa wrestler in getting DQ'd for stalling.. say it ain't so!
I take it you never watched Tony Nelson wrestle...

Sam Stoll against stupidity and a bullet. WTF? I’d kick his ass off the team an anyone else involved. Idiots. Poor representation for the program. Wouldn’t think twice about it. Have your shit together or gtfo.

Spencer does so much good for the school and program and we have a dumbass who thinks pranks involves a gun and brings stupidness to the program. He never appeared to bright in his little stroll thing. Gotta go. We don’t need fat drunk wrestlers with gun pranks on campus. I’ll roll with Cass and move on.

What facts do we have on the circumstances of the shooting at the moment?

If Stoll didn't shoot himself (which by all accounts is the case), then wouldn't the blame/fault go to the shooter?

Or was he involved in a prank that results in himself getting shot in the knee?

Dan Dennis hurt my soul. Metcalf's was a get what you earn situation...A Mena win would have got us 6 titles in 97...likewise a Randall win in 86. Also, Zaputil in 92...would have given us 4 titles in a row to start the NCAAs off and Chad at least one.
I used to train submission wrestling with Chad (and Rico Chiaparelli) and over ten years later it seemed to sting just as bad as the day he lost. He’s got this crazy tattoo on his chest of a hawk ripping his heart out. It’s pretty wild. Not that I’m anything to write home about, but I’ve got about 55 pounds on Chad and he used to whip the ever loving dog sh*t outta me. I learned pretty early on that he’s not particularly fond of talking about those losses.

Montell blew a golden opportunity against Dake, ain't no doubt about it. But if you're gonna be a 4 timer, it takes a lot of talent AND a little bit of luck along the way.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk
What facts do we have on the circumstances of the shooting at the moment?

If Stoll didn't shoot himself (which by all accounts is the case), then wouldn't the blame/fault go to the shooter?

Or was he involved in a prank that results in himself getting shot in the knee?
It could be that Sam was as much to blame as the person who held the weapon. There are a plethora of possibilities.

The fact is a loaded gun went off and fired a bullet injuring someone. We don't know if it was intentional or not (I think most would lean towards unintentional assuming it was a prank gone bad, but that doesn't have to be the case not knowing what the "prank"was).

I would also lean to guessing there was some booze involved in this, but that's pure speculation. Most sober people aren't going to Pranksville with a loaded gun in the equation.

Bottom line is a loaded weapon fired, and just about any way you view the scenario in which it occurred, all involved are damn fortunate only a minor injury came out of it.

For wrestling, Gable-Owings just because history is so different if it goes the other way. Gilman-Cruz was tough in recent memory because it felt like he deserved a national title, but as Will Munny said "deserves got nothing to do with it".

Other sports, Vikings-Falcons 1998 NFC title game with the Gary Anderson miss.
That Vikings-Falcons was huge let down, worst yet I was there to experience it.

Sam Stoll against stupidity and a bullet. WTF? I’d kick his ass off the team an anyone else involved. Idiots. Poor representation for the program. Wouldn’t think twice about it. Have your shit together or gtfo.

Spencer does so much good for the school and program and we have a dumbass who thinks pranks involves a gun and brings stupidness to the program. He never appeared to bright in his little stroll thing. Gotta go. We don’t need fat drunk wrestlers with gun pranks on campus. I’ll roll with Cass and move on.
Unless you have the total lowdown on what all occurred, that's a pretty severe penalty based on assumptions.

Agreed it's not a good look and there was definitely some dumb involved somewhere along the line. Young people (and some old) do dumb things. Just hope your worst decisions aren't fatal.

The Coaches and The University are going to have the details, and ultimately they'll make that decision on the penalty relative to Sam and any other representatives of the school that were involved. They aren't going to poll us to help them make that decision, of that I am certain.

We can agree or disagree when they do, and without question there will be debate whichever way it goes. Such is life.

2018- Myles Martin vs Bo Nickal

1999-#2 Chad Kraft loses semis match on coin flip. He wins and Gophers get first team title and Chad gets another crack at a title after rolling his ankle in the finals the year prior.

2014-#2 Nick Dardanes losing first round or Chris Dardanes losing to Joey Lazor. At least then I could wear my 2014 national championship shirt

Those are ones that pop to my mind

Metcalf-Caldwell is the one I most vividly remember as a Hawkeye fan. As a younger wrestling fan, before I really had a collegiate allegiance, it was Rohn-Lambrecht. It's an all time college moment for most of you, but for us Florida wrestling fans, it was the most brutal thing you can imagine.

I wasn’t around at this time but I recall watching an old YouTube video of I believe Jim Heffernan in the NCAA Championship and for some reason finished the video upset because he was clearly the better wrestler the entire match and lost on criteria bs. I’m really happy the out of bounds rules have changed.

That Vikings-Falcons was huge let down, worst yet I was there to experience it.
I absolutely loved that game. I have several friends that are obnoxious Viking fans and they talked all year about how they were going to win it all. My gf at the time took a picture of me waving no good and four of my friends who were Viking fans in pure agony. It’s one of my favorite pictures of all time.

McDonough losing to Sprenkle was a bad one for me. I wanted Matt to get that fourth AA honor so bad after what he had been through with his injury and watching him lose that match in person was horrible.
No doubt. Two factors that compounded the pain of that loss: 1) Despite the injury, he still almost knocked Garrett off in the quarters but lost in OT; 2) ISU fans went nuts when he lost to Sprenkle, reveling in his disappointment. One of the ugliest displays by a fan base I can remember.

2018- Myles Martin vs Bo Nickal

1999-#2 Chad Kraft loses semis match on coin flip. He wins and Gophers get first team title and Chad gets another crack at a title after rolling his ankle in the finals the year prior.

2014-#2 Nick Dardanes losing first round or Chris Dardanes losing to Joey Lazor. At least then I could wear my 2014 national championship shirt

Those are ones that pop to my mind
Go away with this garbage

Reactions: Hawkeye Till I Die
1996 NCAA Semifinal Ironside vs Steve St.John (Arizona State). Ironside wins and we get Ironside - Kolat part 2. Lincoln loss to Marinetti or Zapitul’s loss to Henson are right there as well!!!

Reactions: Hawkeye Till I Die
Me vs my teammate in a wrestleoff junior year. If I didn’t try to headlock him, I probably won and then don’t have to cut weight for that season.

Reactions: therasslinfan
No doubt. Two factors that compounded the pain of that loss: 1) Despite the injury, he still almost knocked Garrett off in the quarters but lost in OT; 2) ISU fans went nuts when he lost to Sprenkle, reveling in his disappointment. One of the ugliest displays by a fan base I can remember.
And some people wonder why I despise those POSs. For several years, we got our Nationals tix through ISU and sat in those sections. I experienced those negative fans and they are truly scum.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
You want proof that Gopher fans are Iowa wanabes? They even started a similar thread to this one on their forum.:p

The OP of this thread said himself that he copied the idea from an existing twitter thread.

I suppose this thread is clear about changing the outcome. But what about a thread that stated ... Which match would you wish there was a do over? A mulligan?
I mean Dake v Montell would never be a do over for me. Dan D v Ness would be. Banach v Schultz would be a great do over - regardless of the outcome.

Jessman Smith over Cael Sanderson in the 2001 NCAA quarters.

Carl falls to Hahn in the consis knocking him out of the tournament
Smith likely loses his semis match
Smith faces a guy in consi semi match he already beat
Smith gets 4th to Carl.

Hawks make up 13 point difference to Minnesota and are NCAA champs in Carver Hawkeye!

(you said ANY match)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT