ADVERTISEMENT

What would change look like

4net3sandbagger

Scout Team
Silver Member
May 21, 2023
Didn't want to necessarily start a thread, but sitting here waiting on maybe the slowest golfer ever gives me some time.

I'm not tech savvy enough, but there is a great video outlining what it looks like. Brian Pearsall gave a great interview about the changes made when Cael came on campus. This isn't to praise him, but shows what a complete shake up kind of looks like. If anyone is smarter than me and could share a link, I think it's worth a watch. At least gives quite a bit of insight into that room.

I don't think changes at the top happen just yet. Not that far from championship years and TnT can make a case that the new facility will somewhat equalize the recruiting going forward. Remains to be seen if that is true.

I would like to make a modest proposal that we find a way to get this guy on board. Kind of an inside hire but not really in important ways and he brings some style and personality that is different than what we have now. I thought he was headed to med school or something similar but the interview below says he wants to stay around the sport.

Real Woods interview

Need to recruit better athletes. Have to start emphasizing situational wrestling. (takedowns/roll throughs killed us) If I'm Tom, I put Terry at the HWC or let him venture elsewhere. I try to hire Frayer at Virginia Tech. Spent time in Iowa City and has been great everywhere he's went. Go and get Mark Hall. A smart younger guy who has different viewpoints and can relate to younger and more diverse backgrounds. Anther guy to look at would be Joe Johnston at Air Force. Former Iowa guy that's spent time at Missouri And has had success outside of Iowa.

Great insight into his philosophy. I heard Ben Askren talk about this in an interview awhile ago. He would put himself into bad positions and learn to wrestle out of them. Not everyone has Ben's talent level but feeling comfortable in those positions is important. One of the best ways to feel comfortable scrambling us to be in those positions.

Reactions: Trapper85
Figuring out what PSU is doing for strength training and also doing that would be a good look. The only two starters that were not beastly as hell were transfers Truax and Nagao.

Last edited:
Figuring out what PSU is doing for strength training and also doing that would be a good look. The only two starters that we were not beastly as hell were transfers Truax and Nagao.
Teske knows.

It would involve hiring Willie as the recruiting coordinator, and having him camp out at Wyoming Seminary, McCort, Blair, and Faith Christian.

Similar to what Willie now receives at Penn State, it would take at least a six-figure salary, lots of beer, and a hefty expense account.

Last edited:
A few years back, at our annual firm meeting, our keynote speaker was F1 executive Mark Gallagher (who was an absolutely fantastic speaker, BTW). He talked about how the ownership transition at Red Bull occurred many years ago. The new owner came in and told the assembled workers at the facility that his goal was to win a championship in three years. They literally laughed at him, and he responded by telling him how he made his billions selling a caffeine drink. Then, he conducted "no consequences" interviews with every employee of the team to see where there problems were and how to fix them, and acted on it. He also talked about how F1 collectively addressed the safety problem after a fatal crash (with unbelievable success) as they saw it as an existential threat, and how they adapted from a model where their principal revenue source used to be advertising (which they learned was volatile with the demise of big tobacco), to one where now their principal revenue source is IP licensing (via the establishment of a consulting company comprised of their brilliant engineers). Talk about change management...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the more I read , and the more I think about sports teams that win, the more it seems to me that succession planning is just nonexistent within high-end sports, and that so many of the recommendations here about coaches, assistants, facilities, NIL funds, portals, and all the rest is just window dressing. What matters is culture.

It would involve not treating some of the best youth wrestling clubs in the country as enemies, and making them friends instead.

It would involve dropping the 80s/90s strength and conditioning techniques.
THIS!!! great point Spooner! Tom needs to stop pissing off the best wrestling groups out there... Being friends with on Seibolt (sp?) isnt working anymore...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT