ADVERTISEMENT

If you want to feel old...talk to teenagers!

We have a great relationship with out two grandson‘s, 19 & 22, but one day the younger one said to my wife, ok boomer. That didn‘t offend us, but I think it demonstrates the lack of awareness that each generation possesses regarding previous generations. I‘ve seen a lot of posts on this board suggesting the world will be better when the boomers are gone, but I imagine the next generation, and those following will be seen as equally problematic in the eyes of the young down the road.

We have a great relationship with out two grandson‘s, 19 & 22, but one day the younger one said to my wife, ok boomer. That didn‘t offend us, but I think it demonstrates the lack of awareness that each generation possesses regarding previous generations. I‘ve seen a lot of posts on this board suggesting the world will be better when the boomers are gone, but I imagine the next generation, and those following will be seen as equally problematic in the eyes of the young down the road.
Andy Rooney?

Reactions: BrianNole777
My suggestion to the OP is to get on Tik Tok and take notes. It's difficult at first but you start to understand their language eventually

• Haha
I recently had a routine doctor's appointment with a world class physician who is internationally renowned. This guy is legit. It took me 3 months to get an appointment.

My new doctor said my cholesterol was kind of high and it was a risk factor for heart disease. My blood pressure is also kind of high. 126/89.

I'm already making changes. I'm going to start eating grilled chicken, fish and salads on the regular.

I'm going back to the doctor in a year and hope to have lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure.

Today, I went to a sub shop that I frequent. There's an employee there that's been there for a few months. He knows my name because I call in to order carry out.

Meh...I talk to roughly 100 twice per day M-F. Ages K-12. No, they aren't speaking a "different language".

Once you get over the fact that this is their time growing up and not yours - they're just like anybody else you've ever talked to.

Kids today are exactly like kids were when I was their age. It's only the eras they're growing up in that's different.

Means you listen to Bob and Tom and have a favorite restaurant chain that you're enthusiastic about and you don't know any Soundcloud artists

1. We just landed Shooter!
2. Izumi is 🔥
3. Is SoundCloud similar to iHeart Radio?

law and order crazy shit GIF

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Tik Tok figures out quickly what you like and don't like... so, if what you see is negative, connect the dots from there.
Letting an algorithm dictate what you see and don’t see is the problem. Your thoughts are being engineered by a Chinese app. No wonder most threads you start are miserable

I work with 18-19 year old apprentices. I have work shirts older than them. It sucks when you rattle off movie quotes from the 90’s and they’ve never even heard of the movies.
When we moved into our current building a decade ago, it had formerly been an arts-based magnet school. There was a huge mural down one wall that showed Bogie and Stewart and Bacall and about half a dozen other legendary actors, The younger teachers had absolutely no idea who they were. Our students were, of course, equally clueless but it was the fact that 30-somethings didn't recognize Humphrey Bogart - except by name - that made me feel old.

3 boys at home still 9,14, and 17. I know all the lingo and don't fall for any of the shit they try to pull on me. I'm a prankster myself so my sons and all of their friends try to get me as well. Our house is the "Fun house" apparently as we have sleepovers every weekend.

Like bagdropper said, they are going through the same feelings and emotions and situations I did as a kid although with way more pitfalls (Video cameras in everyones pockets and social media) and I had a class of 31 kids and they have 850 kids in their class.

I am 40 years old. I don't talk to teenagers much..hardly ever except for a few cousins that are now in their 20's. I just have no reason to since I don't have kids myself.

I imagine many posters here have children and grandchildren that are teenagers.

Today, I went to a sub shop that I frequent. There's an employee there that's been there for a few months. He knows my name because I call in to order carry out.

I was waiting for my order and started talking to him. I asked him where he went to school. He said he went to "Smith" high school which is a couple miles away. I said "Oh cool, my cousin went there." My cousin is 43. She probably graduated 5 years before he was born.

I slowly did the math in my head and realized this high school kid was probably born in 2006. 😆

CSB.

Anyone else feel old while talking to teenagers?

I might have told this story before but my daughter got a charades game where you just pick a card and then act out whatever is on the card.

One of the cards said "cell phone". When she got it she had to ask me what a cell phone was. She knew what a phone was, but not a cell phone.

It never occurred to me that because all phones at this point where cell phones she wouldn't understand it when someone referred to it as a "cell" phone.

There was another point where instead of streaming they were watching something on regular broadcast TV and they had a difficult time understanding that I don't control the programming on broadcast TV. (That was a while ago)

It has been interesting seeing the perspective of people who were born in 2013, 2014, and 2016 and how it's different from someone born in 1982.

Damnit. Beat me to it. I have a 16 yo.

Funny story. Just the other day I asked my son why do athletes do the Dirty Sanchez when they celebrate? He didn’t know what a Dirty Sanchez is.

Apparently the finger swipe under the nose is a rapper thing called “slime”. Apparently that means love or respect or something like that.

Then I had to explain to him what a Dirty Sanchez is…No cap!

Lots of things make me feel older, but talking to kids isn’t one of them. You just can’t try to be them. Just be normal.

Unless you’re talking to your own kids, in which case use all their slang and then laugh as they roll their eyes at their dad.

‘Haha…. I like to tell my kids as they are leaving for the day. Lowkey Your fit is fire bro. Now go eat the day.

i get lots of eye rolls.

I manage college kids at work. It is weird talking with them at times because they weren’t around for some of the bigger things in my lifetime. Like 9/11 or the fact that they don’t know who Chris Farley is.

They wear stocking hats, t-shirts and jeans with holes in them to interviews because they don’t know they should be dressing up a little bit.

I tell them stories about my days in college like it was just the other day and they are like what the hell are you talking about.

It is pretty cool though to watch them mature and somewhat figure life out before they head off into the real world. Well most of them anyway, some are just clueless.

Sticking out your gyat for the rizzler
You're so skibidi
You're so fanum tax
I just wanna be your sigma
Freaking come here
Give me your Ohio

Apparently Gen Alpha can comprehend this stuff, I'm just clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT