ADVERTISEMENT

I'm impressed.

I didn't where to put this so I'll put it here...

I just can't get over how good Rebraca was tonight...

50% from the field (3-6)
4-5 from FT
11 boards (4 offensive, 7 defensive)
4 blocks
10 points

A case could be made that he was the MVP tonight (and in most night's he would be but Kris was exceptional tonight).

The dude could have had two more easy baskets if he knew how to spin and use his left.

Reactions: skydog0784
Ogundele sad boying with the towel on his head? 🥲

we have 11 scholarship players

Fran basically played 7 players tonight (Dasonte Bowen played 3 min; Josh Dix played 1 min)

37 Kris
35 Filip
34 Perkins
27 Ulis
23 Connor
19 Sandfort
21 PMac

Fran, you always find the highlights and these tidbits of info. Really appreciate the effort.

remember when the opposing coach would be pleased when Connor shot the ball?

well, the coach does not look happy here.

Fhu1Zq1WQAAfk27

2 Questions for everyone:

We know our 5 starters right now. Will those/should those 5 continue to start?

Also, Iowa's down-the-stretch lineup was Ulis, Perkins, CMac, Kris and Filip. Will that/should that be our closing 5 moving forward?

Reactions: BirdistheWord

Also, Iowa's down-the-stretch lineup was Ulis, Perkins, CMac, Kris and Filip. Will that/should that be our closing 5 moving forward?

Depends on the situation. Have the lead already? Yes. Need a 3? Sandfort should probably be in there (he was having an off night tonight)

Last edited:
I know fran likes to keep turnovers at 11 or less

do you know what a good defensive rebounding percentage is? I don't; you or anybody can answer. giving up 18 offensive rebounds on 43 missed Seton Hall shots seems like a lot
Yes allowing your opponent to rebound 41% of their misses is not good. That will get you beat many times. Fortunately, Iowa was much better protecting the ball, getting to the line and overall shooting. I was impressed with how Iowa handled not making 3's and an aggressive defense. They took it to the basket and forced SH to foul. Don't know how good Seton Hall is, but that is a good bet to stay a Quad 1 win all year.

Fran tends to go with whatever lineup is playing well at the time they approach end of game. Perkins and Murray are the have-to guys on the floor. Rest can depend on who is playing well that night. Fran likes Connor a lot at end of games.

I know fran likes to keep turnovers at 11 or less

do you know what a good defensive rebounding percentage is? I don't; you or anybody can answer. giving up 18 offensive rebounds on 43 missed Seton Hall shots seems like a lot
I don't know the answer to this but I am pretty positive they gave up 4 of those on the first possession :)

This.

This is why Iowa usually wins the November & early December big matchups.

When things get physical & refs start letting things go, Iowa usually struggles in mid-February & obviously March Madness.

This was a game that Iowa seems to win under Fran in November. Fran would lose this exact same matchup on February 27th.

Good win though & not trying to be a downer. 🙃
Recent performances seem to be in conflict with your theory. I seem to remember beating an extremely physical Purdue team in the big ten tourney after having lost to them earlier in the season.

Rebraca may have actually made the biggest jump from this year to last just based on defense.

His ability to switch to a guard from the 5 spot is huge for this team.

He was completely lost at the start of last year and now he's playing flawlessly in terms of his responsibilities.
Yeah, I wonder if it was just adjusting to a bigger stage / better competition. He seemed to keep getting better as time went on last year and has taken it to another level so far this year.

Recent performances seem to be in conflict with your theory. I seem to remember beating an extremely physical Purdue team in the big ten tourney after having lost to them earlier in the season.
Agreed, people need to get past this idea that Fran's teams struggle in Feb/March. In reality, they have played better in back half of Big Ten season more often than not (not counting NCAA Tourney where 2 yrs ago, Oregon was just the worst possible match-up and last yr where they laid an egg after playing great for the previous 15 or so games).

Ulis played very solid ball, especially down the stretch, a few examples:

-Drive to hoop, draws 4, finds CMac for dagger 3
-Drive under rim, draws 2, great bounce pass to Rebraca, who draws foul -no assist :(
-Aggressive drive left of lane, looking to draw foul...and does! knocks down 2 FT's
I like Ulis ... just needs to finish at rim a little more.

Reactions: HawkBall23
remember when the opposing coach would be pleased when Connor shot the ball?

well, the coach does not look happy here.

Fhu1Zq1WQAAfk27
True, and an awesome pic, but I think it was much more about his defense's collapse on Ulis' drive that allowed the wide open look for CMac more than Connor's actual shot attempt.

True, and an awesome pic, but I think it was much more about his defense's collapse on Ulis' drive that allowed the wide open look for CMac more than Connor's actual shot attempt.
Connor nailed the shot but it was definitely a team effort and a great individual effort by Ulis. Earlier in the game Patrick caused some disruption with drives to the rim.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkBall23
Good point. Iirc all 5 guys for SH were chasing Ulis or looking at him when he dished that ball to Connor… that ability to drive into the lane by our guards had been lacking forever.,

I didn't where to put this so I'll put it here...

I just can't get over how good Rebraca was tonight...

50% from the field (3-6)
4-5 from FT
11 boards (4 offensive, 7 defensive)
4 blocks
10 points

A case could be made that he was the MVP tonight (and in most night's he would be but Kris was exceptional tonight).
Anyone know he Rebraca can get a Covid year?

Ulis played very solid ball, especially down the stretch, a few examples:

-Drive to hoop, draws 4, finds CMac for dagger 3
-Drive under rim, draws 2, great bounce pass to Rebraca, who draws foul -no assist :(
-Aggressive drive left of lane, looking to draw foul...and does! knocks down 2 FT's

Yes he picked it up, he wasn't playing well early but turned it around later in the game

Reactions: unclesammy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT