ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine You're Cade McNamara Right Now

And now it comes out that the top OL recruit Iowa brought in from the portal to protect Cade, Daijon Parker....is "seriously injured" before ever playing a down for the Hawks.

If players are allowed to transfer twice in 1 year, I wouldn't put it past the guy. He was sold on a dream that Kirk & Brian just are not capable of fulfilling. No new WRs. No new plays. No new coaches. And still the worst OL in the conference. That's not fair.

And now it comes out that the top OL recruit Iowa brought in from the portal to protect Cade, Daijon Parker....is "seriously injured" before ever playing a down for the Hawks.

If players are allowed to transfer twice in 1 year, I wouldn't put it past the guy. He was sold on a dream that Kirk & Brian just are not capable of fulfilling. No new WRs. No new plays. No new coaches. And still the worst OL in the conference. That's not fair.
Still a moron I see.

Hey, we got that guy from Charleston Northeastern Technical College. Don’t ignore our big recruiting wins, Sir…..

Still a moron I see.
You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

dp4.gif

Hey, we got that guy from Charleston Northeastern Technical College. Don’t ignore our big recruiting wins, Sir…..
Alas, Charleston Northeastern Tech College guy is also injured and hasn't dressed for a single day of practice. Could be another "soft tissue" injury similar to the one that kept Johnson out the entire season last year. Maybe he can convince some of his Charleston teammates to transfer over as well, given they are the powerhouse football team of the entire Charleston, SC metro area.

Been hoping this for a long time
I'm perfectly fine with 99% of kirk.
What i'll never understand is why he doesn't use his predictability to his advantage. A few trick players a game, use a quarterback that uses his feet once in awhile to make up for poor scheme.
A few extra first downs a game is like extra points for Iowa.
Training, technique, and shorten the game. That is how you compete with schools with better athletes.

Alas, Charleston Northeastern Tech College guy is also injured and hasn't dressed for a single day of practice. Could be another "soft tissue" injury similar to the one that kept Johnson out the entire season last year. Maybe he can convince some of his Charleston teammates to transfer over as well, given they are the powerhouse football team of the entire Charleston, SC metro area.
Well, I await the “he didn’t have spring ball to build a good rapport with his quarterback.”

We may quickly find ourselves in the “they’ll be much improved next season” mindset.

It’s the circle of life for the Iowa football offense.

Well, I await the “he didn’t have spring ball to build a good rapport with his quarterback.”

We may quickly find ourselves in the “they’ll be much improved next season” mindset.

I can’t wait for the people next year when our offense is like 89th in the country to be like, “See how much we’ve improved!” Well yea, to have the two worst offensive seasons in modern big ten football history back to back would be quite the accomplishment.

What’s really odd is that he had all those amazing players at Michigan yet he never put up great numbers and got passed on the depth chart by a younger player. Yet so many on here thing he’s going to come in and make it look like we have a real offense with the non playmakers we have at the receiver position and the same oline we have had the last few years.
Aside from soundly taking Iowa to the woodshed, yep - not much as far as stats go. Him losing his job was somewhat done via injury. Harbaugh isn't going to reinsert someone when the current guy is as good or better.

I bet Cade has been teaching BF stuff on how a QB operates though compared to BF teaching Cade much of anything (JK, sort of).

I bet with the OL loss of the transfer; the fact our WR 2 deeps have Wick listed is making BF stock up on antacids.

I can’t wait for the people next year when our offense is like 89th in the country to be like, “See how much we’ve improved!” Well yea, to have the two worst offensive seasons in modern big ten football history back to back would be quite the accomplishment.
Well let's be honest. It would be somewhat satisfying not to totally suck on that side of the ball. Would it not? Iowa's style of play will never produce gaudy statistics, but it still needs to be efficient. With respect to 89th as you mentioned, it depends on what you're measuring. Iowa's offense was ranked 99th in adjusted efficiency and 90th the year before, so 89th doesn't really move the needle. It needs to be somewhere in the 60's to suggest that significant improvement was made.

Where's that gif of 'getting hopes up/hopes are dashed/return to space #1' I saw on the bball board or something? It applies here too...:)

Well let's be honest. It would be somewhat satisfying not to totally suck on that side of the ball. Would it not? Iowa's style of play will never produce gaudy statistics, but it still needs to be efficient. With respect to 89th as you mentioned, it depends on what you're measuring. Iowa's offense was ranked 99th in adjusted efficiency and 90th the year before, so 89th doesn't really move the needle. It needs to be somewhere in the 60's to suggest that significant improvement was made.
I was just looking at total offense. If we could move from 130 to 89, we would all take that in a heartbeat.

Y u no comment on the women?........ :cool:

Got eem.

Is OP just physically incapable of posting ANYTHING remotely positive about Iowa? His head must be an absolutely miserable place to live.
No, he cannot. Given the real drop in participation and views, even for an off season I think the site's censorship and the anti-Iowa negativity from purported Iowa fans (they mostly aren't actual fans-unless its a year like 2015 and the bandwagon has big coattails. (I know I mixed a metaphor).

Reactions: sober_teacher
I'm hoping we have a QB that makes the WR's look better, rather than hoping the WR's make the QB look better. We don't necessarily need great throws, we just need to move the chains like Tom Brady does.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Didn't Parker commit after Cade? Unlike, some posters here, I am sure Cade talked to coaches about the offense, their plans for calling plays and felt comfortable with the answers and picked a place that was he felt was a good fit. But let's use a guy who clearly picked Iowa with its current staff as someone who must know be as mad as some of our fans.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Imagine you're on Michigan's 13-1 team of superstars recovering from injury after leading them to a Big 10 title the year before. You played against Iowa's putrid offense and hear about how they were even worse in 2022, seeing their highlights on tv a few times throughout the year. You've been passed on the Michigan depth chart so you have a decision to make. You take a leap of faith and commit to Iowa on Day 1 of the transfer portal. You do so with reasonable optimism that three important things will happen upon arrival: (i) offensive coaching staff upgrades; (ii) playbook upgrades; and (iii) skill position upgrades.

Unfortunately, since Cade's commitment, virtually every variable needed to improve the offense has gone against Iowa:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff. Not at offensive coordinator, QB coach, or OL coach. No new blood, no new ideas, no new play callers to draw up a run up the middle on 3rd and 6 for no gain.

-Doh! Despite Cade's attempts to use his clout to recruit talented WRs to play with him at Iowa and a reasonable expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Iowa's top 2 WRs on last year's roster, sophomores Johnson and Bruce, never even considered sticking around to play with the upgraded QB. They were fleeing the abysmal system and the offensive coordinator.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa was able to land was role player Seth Anderson, a 0 star recruit who didn't make all conference at his D 2 (smaller than UNI) school. Not exactly an upgrade.

-Doh! It turns out, Seth Anderson is injured and will not practice all spring. His first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts.

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year but expected to be the "playmaker" this year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring. The first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

This week, practice has officially started. Cade is wearing a Hawkeye jersey for the first time. It must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walkon Reece Osgood & 6'0 walkon Alex Wick, who are listed as the backups on the spring depth chart. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not only is this a downgrade on last year's WR corp, but it may be the worst in Kirk's entire career.

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of receiving throwing tips and guidance from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach Harbaugh and a former NFL offensive coordinator calling plays, he's being tutored on throwing mechanics by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated. Iowa must aggressively throw A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones was for Purdue after committing last spring). If not, I don't care how confident McNamara is, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same route trees and the team's severe lack of hands/speed/route running out of the WR corp.
LOL, always good to get the clone perspective. I wouldn't worry about Cade, he isn't a negative nellie like you. We have picked up one excellent wide receiver in Seth Anderson, an All Big Ten type tight end in Eric All and will most likely pick up another good WR or two in the May portal. We have 4 freshmen arriving this summer who have the ability to be excellent WR's. Also , Terrill Washington Jr is a runningback who was used extensively as a receiver in high school. He enrolled early. The offense will be significantly improved. You clones should be worried. Go Hawks !

Reactions: chuck285
I'm hoping we have a QB that makes the WR's look better, rather than hoping the WR's make the QB look better. We don't necessarily need great throws, we just need to move the chains like Tom Brady does.
Precisely. Spot on! I think we have a couple of them. Our guys got open quite a lot the last two seasons. The line couldn't protect and the QB was terrified into indecision. Never saw how open Iowa receivers were getting because he was locked like a laser on Sam and Luke 80% of the throwing plays.

Ragaini, Vines and Anderson will be above average Big Ten starters. I'm counting on nothing from Bostick. Kaden is very fast and may have needed an adjustment season, not the first JUCO to have a learning year. Anderson, if healthy, will be better than any of the guys that actually played last season and will upgrade the position.

Some good news on the line would help. I'm still saying 9-3 or 10-2 and we win the west. I am also sticking with the offense scoring twice as many points as the offense scored last season.

Reactions: hawkjt
Ragaini, Vines and Anderson will be above average Big Ten starters. I'm counting on nothing from Bostick. Kaden is very fast and may have needed an adjustment season, not the first JUCO to have a learning year. Anderson, if healthy, will be better than any of the guys that actually played last season and will upgrade the position.

You understand what "above average Big 10 starters" entails, don't you? That means they will be better than more than half the starting WRs in the Big 10. Would you like to place a wager on that?

Vines, despite being given every opportunity in the world to shine, has just 10 catches in 2 years. Charlie Jones had that kind of productivity in 1 half of 1 game. How is Vines going to go from less than 1 catch per game as a starter to an above average Big 10 starter?

Then Anderson. As previously stated, Anderson wasn't even all-Conference playing for a 2-8 team in D2. Going up against the likes of Gardener Webb (26 yards receiving) & North Carolina A&T (1 catch for -5 yrds). In 1 year, he's going to surpass NFL caliber WRs from Ohio State, Penn State, & Purdue?

I hope you're right. Guys do develop at different speeds, so you never know. Unfortunately, development requires good coaching & good play calling. Iowa has not shown it can put WRs in a position to succeed since DJK and McNutt (just ask Smith-Marsette, Charlie Jones, Brandon Smith, Tyrone Tracey, and Kaegan Johnson...they've all said as much once they left the program).

You understand what "above average Big 10 starters" entails, don't you? That means they will be better than more than half the starting WRs in the Big 10. Would you like to place a wager on that?

Vines, despite being given every opportunity in the world to shine, has just 10 catches in 2 years. Charlie Jones had that kind of productivity in 1 half of 1 game. How is Vines going to go from less than 1 catch per game as a starter to an above average Big 10 starter?

Then Anderson. As previously stated, Anderson wasn't even all-Conference playing for a 2-8 team in D2. Going up against the likes of Gardener Webb (26 yards receiving) & North Carolina A&T (1 catch for -5 yrds). In 1 year, he's going to surpass NFL caliber WRs from Ohio State, Penn State, & Purdue?

I hope you're right. Guys do develop at different speeds, so you never know. Unfortunately, development requires good coaching & good play calling. Iowa has not shown it can put WRs in a position to succeed since DJK and McNutt (just ask Smith-Marsette, Charlie Jones, Brandon Smith, Tyrone Tracey, and Kaegan Johnson...they've all said as much once they left the program).
Actually no, he doesn't.

If we had Cade last year and three above big ten average receivers we might have made the college football playoff. Cade would have had to do is his best Joe Burrow. Our offensive coaches are going to look bad no matter what in 2023.

Well, I think I do know what above average means. Interesting choice of comparables. They probably won't be better than the starters at Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. But what about Maryland? Northwestern? Minnesota? Illinois? Nebraska? None of us know anything about Purdue and its new coach, system and player development. You know I'm just scared to death of Rutgers receivers.

Moreover, we also have to consider talent vs. offensive scheme. Iowa doesn't and probably isn't going to start throwing 40 times a game, with most of those going to wide receivers. So catch numbers do not necessarily define talent like the NFL game, where everyone is talented. We need them to simply be above average. We will have the best tight ends and one of the best running backs. Only a complete moron, and they are becoming progressively more common with each passing day, would think our offense should not feature the positions where we have significant positional superiority (RB) and dominance (TE).

Oddly enough you cite a number of receivers whom it appears you consider to have been pretty good that played at Iowa-except that prick Charlie Jones. How did ISM & Smith improve so much with such inferior positional coaching? Charlie Jones had no recruiting profile out of HS. ISM & Smith were typical mid to high level 3 stars, like Vines, Bostick, and the three incoming freshmen. Tracy lost his job at Iowa to Jones because he had like a 50% drop rate (could be a little hyperbole but the reader will take my point) so Tracy in a Purdue uni doesn't scare me, and that utter shit bag Jones career is done. Don't be waiting for his star to rise in the NFL, he was just a good college receiver that was targeted 15-20 times a game.

Let's see how the season plays out. But you guys wallow in misery, complaint and dissatisfaction. It appears to be ta raison de vivre.​

Last edited:
Imagine you're on Michigan's 13-1 team of superstars recovering from injury after leading them to a Big 10 title the year before. You played against Iowa's putrid offense and hear about how they were even worse in 2022, seeing their highlights on tv a few times throughout the year. You've been passed on the Michigan depth chart so you have a decision to make. You take a leap of faith and commit to Iowa on Day 1 of the transfer portal. You do so with reasonable optimism that three important things will happen upon arrival: (i) offensive coaching staff upgrades; (ii) playbook upgrades; and (iii) skill position upgrades.

Unfortunately, since Cade's commitment, virtually every variable needed to improve the offense has gone against Iowa:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff. Not at offensive coordinator, QB coach, or OL coach. No new blood, no new ideas, no new play callers to draw up a run up the middle on 3rd and 6 for no gain.

-Doh! Despite Cade's attempts to use his clout to recruit talented WRs to play with him at Iowa and a reasonable expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Iowa's top 2 WRs on last year's roster, sophomores Johnson and Bruce, never even considered sticking around to play with the upgraded QB. They were fleeing the abysmal system and the offensive coordinator.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa was able to land was role player Seth Anderson, a 0 star recruit who didn't make all conference at his D 2 (smaller than UNI) school. Not exactly an upgrade.

-Doh! It turns out, Seth Anderson is injured and will not practice all spring. His first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts.

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year but expected to be the "playmaker" this year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring. The first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

This week, practice has officially started. Cade is wearing a Hawkeye jersey for the first time. It must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walkon Reece Osgood & 6'0 walkon Alex Wick, who are listed as the backups on the spring depth chart. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not only is this a downgrade on last year's WR corp, but it may be the worst in Kirk's entire career.

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of receiving throwing tips and guidance from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach Harbaugh and a former NFL offensive coordinator calling plays, he's being tutored on throwing mechanics by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated. Iowa must aggressively throw A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones was for Purdue after committing last spring). If not, I don't care how confident McNamara is, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same route trees and the team's severe lack of hands/speed/route running out of the WR corp.
So what you are saying is Brian Ferentz is actually overachieving with the lack of talent he has.

Replace OSU's putrid defense with Iowa's and you have a NC every year.
Doesn't work that way.

Day is all about offensive tempo at OSU. Not a formula for a dominant defense.

Bama hasn't had a dominant D since they went to spread and no-huddle. For one thing, the defense ends up having to burn practice reps defending this stuff, rather than maximizing reps at a defense that's built to be dominant

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT