ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine You're Cade McNamara Right Now

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Imagine you're on Michigan's 13-1 team of superstars recovering from injury after leading them to a Big 10 title the year before. You played against Iowa's putrid offense and hear about how they were even worse in 2022, seeing their highlights on tv a few times throughout the year. You've been passed on the Michigan depth chart so you have a decision to make. You take a leap of faith and commit to Iowa on Day 1 of the transfer portal. You do so with reasonable optimism that three important things will happen upon arrival: (i) offensive coaching staff upgrades; (ii) playbook upgrades; and (iii) skill position upgrades.

Unfortunately, since Cade's commitment, virtually every variable needed to improve the offense has gone against Iowa:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff. Not at offensive coordinator, QB coach, or OL coach. No new blood, no new ideas, no new play callers to draw up a run up the middle on 3rd and 6 for no gain.

-Doh! Despite Cade's attempts to use his clout to recruit talented WRs to play with him at Iowa and a reasonable expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Iowa's top 2 WRs on last year's roster, sophomores Johnson and Bruce, never even considered sticking around to play with the upgraded QB. They were fleeing the abysmal system and the offensive coordinator.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa was able to land was role player Seth Anderson, a 0 star recruit who didn't make all conference at his D 2 (smaller than UNI) school. Not exactly an upgrade.

-Doh! It turns out, Seth Anderson is injured and will not practice all spring. His first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts.

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year but expected to be the "playmaker" this year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring. The first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

This week, practice has officially started. Cade is wearing a Hawkeye jersey for the first time. It must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walkon Reece Osgood & 6'0 walkon Alex Wick, who are listed as the backups on the spring depth chart. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not only is this a downgrade on last year's WR corp, but it may be the worst in Kirk's entire career.

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of receiving throwing tips and guidance from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach Harbaugh and a former NFL offensive coordinator calling plays, he's being tutored on throwing mechanics by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated. Iowa must aggressively throw A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones was for Purdue after committing last spring). If not, I don't care how confident McNamara is, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same route trees and the team's severe lack of hands/speed/route running out of the WR corp.

Last edited:
You see Iowa's putrid offense finish the 2022 season dead last in the nation in numerous categories but commit to the program on Day 1 of the transfer portal opening with great optimism and expectation that huge steps would be taken to improve the offense. Since then:

-Zero changes in the coaching staff following his transfer decision, including at offensive coordinator, QB coach, and OL coach, where the coaching was objectively inferior by every metric.

-Despite an expectation/hope that Iowa would be a desirable place for at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs buried on major college depth charts to come for instant playing time. After all, it is no secret that following last year's transfers, the roster is void of any WR talent, zero D1 WRs (out of more than 200 transfer portal WRs).

-Following his announcement that he was coming to Iowa, neither Johnson nor Bruce even considered sticking around due to the coaching.

-The only WR Iowa was able to get from the portal since McNamara's commitment, despite his recruiting attempts, was Seth Anderson. Unfortunately, Anderson, who wasn't even 1st team all conference in the Division 2 Big South Conference, is now injured and won't practice all spring.

-Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year but gave fans hope that "next year will be better," is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring.

At this point, it must be sinking in for McNamara that he's going from throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, to throwing to the same WRs who couldn't do anything for Iowa last year. Projected starters are Diante Vines (10 receptions in his entire career) & Nico Ragaini (his only claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it).

Similarly, it's got to be sinking in now that spring practice has started that he's used to being coached by a former NFL QB / NFL head coach to being coached by Brian, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in pointers he's receiving? Honest question...how does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated if Iowa aggressively goes out and throws A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones would have been if Iowa had Purdue's coaches). I don't care how good McNamara is, as it stands, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same inept route trees and the team's lack of hands/speed/route running out of the current WR corp.
It’s just a game based on 18-23 yo kids. We will never be a perennial power as much as we all would love. Put down the whiskey and step back from the bar. Go Hawks

Anderson will be working out with Cade over the summer. Heard the OhioSt transfer has some real skills so might actually have a gem nobody saw coming. Anderson is really good btw. Also Budmayr is promoted to full-time and BF is the one that Cade talked to about the offense and difference from last season to this one. Cade also seems exceptionally excited about people doubting the offense and wants the doubters to keep talking about it so he can rub it in their faces.

You see Iowa's putrid offense finish the 2022 season dead last in the nation in numerous categories but commit to the program on Day 1 of the transfer portal opening. You do so with great optimism that major changes are coming both in terms of coaching staff upgrades and skill position upgrades. Since then:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff following his transfer decision, including at offensive coordinator, QB coach, and OL coach, where the coaching was objectively inferior by every metric.
I bet Budmyar is doing all the qb coaching and passing game coordination. That info is probably not public so as not to embarrass Brian and for Kirk to maintain that his Brian hire was correct.

Budmyar is making about $350000 so he doesnt care if he is the unnamed qb and passing guy.

I think Seth Anderson will be a good addition.

I sure hope Kirk relaxes is conservative muscles this year.

You see Iowa's putrid offense finish the 2022 season dead last in the nation in numerous categories but commit to the program on Day 1 of the transfer portal opening. You do so with great optimism that major changes are coming both in terms of coaching staff upgrades and skill position upgrades. Since then:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff following his transfer decision, including at offensive coordinator, QB coach, and OL coach, where the coaching was objectively inferior by every metric.

-Doh! Despite an expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Following Cade's commitment and instant push to recruit talented WRs to play with him, neither Johnson nor Bruce even considered sticking around.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa did get was likely role player Seth Anderson. He was a 0 star recruit out of high school and didn't even make 1st team all conference last year in the Division 2 Big South Conference.

-Doh! It was just announced that Seth Anderson is injured and will not be practicing all spring, so his first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts..

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring and the first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

That's a lot of toss ups that wound up going against Iowa since the season ended. Now that practice has started, it must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walk on Reece Osgood, who is listed as the bano wr. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of getting throwing tips from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach, he's now being tutored by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated. Iowa needs to aggressively throw A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones would have been). If not, I don't care how good McNamara is, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same route trees and the team's severe lack of hands/speed/route running out of the WR corp.
So.....there's absolutely nothing new for him to see, yet he made the decision. He must be incredibly dumb

-Doh! Despite an expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Following Cade's commitment and instant push to recruit talented WRs to play with him, neither Johnson nor Bruce even considered sticking around.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa did get was likely role player Seth Anderson. He was a 0 star recruit out of high school and didn't even make 1st team all conference last year in the Division 2 Big South Conference.

-Doh! It was just announced that Seth Anderson is injured and will not be practicing all spring, so his first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts..

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring and the first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

That's a lot of toss ups that wound up going against Iowa since the season ended. Now that practice has started, it must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walk on Reece Osgood, who is listed as the bano wr. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of getting throwing tips from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach, he's now being tutored by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

The optimist in me believes some of this can be alleviated. Iowa needs to aggressively throw A TON of money at any remaining transfer portal WR out there this spring. All it takes is one go-to receiver (like Charlie Jones would have been). If not, I don't care how good McNamara is, things are looking a lot like status quo. This offense is going to struggle with Brian's same route trees and the team's severe lack of hands/speed/route running out of the WR corp.

Right now, I’m imagining I’m IowaLaw & I’m frustrated that my mom won’t let me out of the basement, so I’m pounding away at my keyboard 😝

So his real name is ColesLaw?
Excited Gold GIF

Well played!

What’s really odd is that he had all those amazing players at Michigan yet he never put up great numbers and got passed on the depth chart by a younger player. Yet so many on here thing he’s going to come in and make it look like we have a real offense with the non playmakers we have at the receiver position and the same oline we have had the last few years.

I feel like a dozen or so “Rick Six’s” 13-15 years ago really made Kirk shy away from WR talent all together and make it a super low-priority in recruiting.

Those were hard to watch and made me drink. I think for KF and his “minimize mistakes” mentality, those were traumatizing. Maybe KF needs a therapist to talk these things out? Maybe Iowa is one shrink away from a Natty (ha!)!

It does not have to be a spread offense, just a competent one.
Exactly right. Iowa is all about defense and with Phil Parker as DC, they've always had a top 2 or 3 defense in the B1G. I'm sure McNamara knew that he wouldn't be transferring to an offensive powerhouse.

To be quite honest, if McNamara upgrades that offense to being just decent, they could have a very real shot at winning the West this year.

Exactly right. Iowa is all about defense and with Phil Parker as DC, they've always had a top 2 or 3 defense in the B1G. I'm sure McNamara knew that he wouldn't be transferring to an offensive powerhouse.

To be quite honest, if McNamara upgrades that offense to being just decent, they could have a very real shot at winning the West this year.
Replace OSU's putrid defense with Iowa's and you have a NC every year.

Imagine you are @IowasLaw right now, what would you do?
@pistachio1999 - your obsessive/stalkeresque approach is impressive. Three separate non-substantive, deranged responses to the same post separated by 30 mins each. Meaning you literally logged in 3 different times, clicked on the same post, and felt it necessary to respond. Perhaps a mental institution is a better spot for you than a college football message board designed to discuss Hawkeye athletics. In any event...you're now permanently on ignore. Ciao.

@pistachio1999 - your obsessive/stalkeresque approach is impressive. Three separate non-substantive, deranged responses to the same post separated by 30 mins each. Meaning you literally logged in 3 different times, clicked on the same post, and felt it necessary to respond. Perhaps a mental institution is a better spot for you than a college football message board designed to discuss Hawkeye athletics. In any event...you're now permanently on ignore.

Oh my Lord, no, no, nooooooo……you didn’t put him on ignore? Please tell me you didn’t!!!!

PS…..are you guys getting joined rooms at the clinic?

I feel a couple different ways about Cade. He’s going to be playing with running backs and tight ends that are on par with anything at Michigan. Obviously offensive line and receivers are going to be way below what he’s used to.
We are, or should, be hoping he plays a little more aggressive than he did at Michigan. Because our offense needs it, so I hope he goes out, pushes the envelope and makes plays and mistakes.
The good thing is the bar has been set so low at the quarterback position, that there are no expectations.

If Petras makes about 3-4 of the "makeable" plays he missed over the last couple years, none of this is a concern......The throws he missed would have turned games from once score loses to easy (with the version of D and ST they were playing w/) 2-score wins.....the IL game for example - 20-9 final (or better) had he made about 2 plays.....You can argue all day if 20pts is enough, but that game shouldn't have been close.

So if Cade M is "the guy" everyone thinks he is, he should account for several W's just by making the makeables. Regardless of who is in charge/calling the shots.........

If Petras makes about 3-4 of the "makeable" plays he missed over the last couple years, none of this is a concern......The throws he missed would have turned games from once score loses to easy (with the version of D and ST they were playing w/) 2-score wins.....the IL game for example - 20-9 final (or better) had he made about 2 plays.....You can argue all day if 20pts is enough, but that game shouldn't have been close.

So if Cade M is "the guy" everyone thinks he is, he should account for several W's just by making the makeables. Regardless of who is in charge/calling the shots.........

I actually agree with this for the most part! With that said this offensive line was one of the poorest in college football. KF should honestly be embarrassed!

@pistachio1999 - your obsessive/stalkeresque approach is impressive. Three separate non-substantive, deranged responses to the same post separated by 30 mins each. Meaning you literally logged in 3 different times, clicked on the same post, and felt it necessary to respond. Perhaps a mental institution is a better spot for you than a college football message board designed to discuss Hawkeye athletics. In any event...you're now permanently on ignore. Ciao.
You obsessively after Brian and Kirk. You stalker.

Reactions: Bishop1971
You're on Michigan's 13-1 team of superstars and hear about how Iowa's putrid offense finished the 2022 season dead last nationally in numerous categories. You've been passed on the depth chart so you take a leap of faith and commit to Iowa on Day 1 of the transfer portal. You do so with great optimism that three important things will happen: (i) coaching staff upgrades; (ii) playbook upgrades; and (iii) skill position upgrades. However, since his commitment, it seems virtually every variable he needed has gone against Iowa:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff. Not at offensive coordinator, QB coach, or OL coach, where the coaching was objectively inferior by every metric.

-Doh! Despite his instant push to recruit talented WRs to play with him at Iowa and an expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Iowa's top 2 WRs on the roster, Johnson and Bruce, never even considered sticking around despite the upgrade at QB. They were fleeing the system and the offensive coordinator.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa did get was role player Seth Anderson. He was a 0 star recruit who didn't make all conference at his D 2 (smaller than UNI) school.

-Doh! It was just announced that Seth Anderson is injured. He will not be practicing all spring. His first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts..

-Doh! Iowa's most hyped redshirt freshmen WR, Jacob Bostick, who was hurt all year last year but expected to be the "playmaker" this year is injured yet again. He too will not practice all spring. The first catches he receives from Cade will be in the fall.

Practice has officially started and Cade is wearing a Hawkeye jersey for the first time this week. It must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walkon Reece Osgood & 6'0 walkon Alex Wick, who are listed as the backups on the spring depth chart. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not only is this a downgrade on last year's WR corp, but it may be the worst in Kirk's entire career.

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of receiving throwing tips and guidance from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach Harbaugh and a former NFL offensive coordinator as his OC, he's being tutored on throwing mechanics by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

I can dig it, I mean what’s the point of being optimistic if we’re always going to be let down right?

You're on Michigan's 13-1 team of superstars and hear about how Iowa's putrid offense finished the 2022 season dead last nationally in numerous categories. You've been passed on the depth chart so you take a leap of faith and commit to Iowa on Day 1 of the transfer portal. You do so with great optimism that three important things will happen: (i) coaching staff upgrades; (ii) playbook upgrades; and (iii) skill position upgrades. However, since his commitment, it seems virtually every variable he needed has gone against Iowa:

-Doh! Zero changes in the coaching staff. Not at offensive coordinator, QB coach, or OL coach, where the coaching was objectively inferior by every metric.

-Doh! Despite his instant push to recruit talented WRs to play with him at Iowa and an expectation that at least a few talented D1 transfer WRs might take a chance on Iowa for the lure of instant playing time, zero even visited Iowa, let alone committed.

-Doh! Iowa's top 2 WRs on the roster, Johnson and Bruce, never even considered sticking around despite the upgrade at QB. They were fleeing the system and the offensive coordinator.

-Doh! The only portal WR Iowa did get was role player Seth Anderson. He was a 0 star recruit who didn't make all conference at his D 2 (smaller than UNI) school.

-Doh! It was just announced that Seth Anderson is injured. He will not be practicing all spring. His first reps at Iowa will be right around when the season starts..

Practice has officially started and Cade is wearing a Hawkeye jersey for the first time this week. It must be sinking in that instead of throwing passes to NFL bound WRs like Cornelius Johnson, Donovan Edwards, Mike Sainristil, Ronnie Bell, Roman Wilson, and Heisman Trophy caliber RB Blake Corum, he's going to finish his career throwing to the likes of Diante Vines (10 receptions and 6 drops in his entire career), Nico Ragaini (his claim to fame in 6 years at Iowa is not correcting people for mispronouncing his name for 4 years before finally saying something about it), and…checks notes, 5’11 freshmen walkon Reece Osgood & 6'0 walkon Alex Wick, who are listed as the backups on the spring depth chart. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Not only is this a downgrade on last year's WR corp, but it may be the worst in Kirk's entire career.

Similarly, it's sinking in that instead of receiving throwing tips and guidance from a former NFL QB / NFL head coach Harbaugh and a former NFL offensive coordinator as his OC, he's being tutored on throwing mechanics by Brian Ferentz, the laughing stock of the college football world. Can you imagine the difference in the pointers he's receiving? How does Cade expect to improve his game given the downgrade in coaching and downgrade in talent around him?

Go back to your Cyclone fanatic message board if all you have to say is negative shit.

Define irony.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT