ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever win WNBA Draft Lottery & Chance to Draft Caitlin Clark (She won't be taking a Pay Cut)

Crazy that Darren (ESPN Sports Business Reporter) is not more knowledgeable on this topic.

Nevertheless, he continues to claim CC will be taking a pay cut

I mean this sincerely I think the insinuation she'd make less in the WNBA is a little absurd. I mean if you were Nike, wouldn't you sign her immediately and give her a shoe?
You do realize she's already under contract with Nike? Wait for the shoe CC3 or the facilitator clothing line coming to a store near you.....

Last edited:
Seriously, who cares if she's making more or less? It doesn't matter. Her family was already affluent beforehand and she's going to be a millionaire, if she's not already. Money isn't an issue for her nor has it ever been.

I don't understand why people care what her finances are. She's doing what's right for her. That's the important part. It sucks from my standpoint as a fan of Iowa but I don't blame her at all.

Seriously, who cares if she's making more or less? It doesn't matter. Her family was already affluent beforehand and she's going to be a millionaire, if she's not already. Money isn't an issue for her nor has it ever been.

I don't understand why people care what her finances are. She's doing what's right for her. That's the important part. It sucks from my standpoint as a fan of Iowa but I don't blame her at all.

The money seems important for many, maybe not so much for Caitlin.

That’s what I mean. Whatever who is her signature show will sell like crazy.

money-blackmon.png

• Love
Reactions: kceasthawk
Article in Monday's Wall St Journal on CC indicated that Nike Puma Under armour among others will vie to sign a new shoe deal exceeding 3 million/yr this spring.
That will exceed the usual 1-2 million for star rookies in NBA.

CC will be fine financially.

Article in Monday's Wall St Journal on CC indicated that Nike Puma Under armour among others will vie to sign a new shoe deal exceeding 3 million/yr this spring.

Crazy good money......

I hope five star recruits see what's going on in Iowa City and realize that they, too, can make it big not only career-wise but financial wise

Reactions: Tenacious E

She was going to sell a lot of basketball shoes anyways, but for her it will be like an annuity as little girls keep growing and needing bigger shoes every season.

From what you understand? As you will read below, Caitlin says people simply don't understand what she is making now vs what she would make in the WNBA. When she heads to the WNBA, she wouldn't be giving endorsements up and she wouldn't be taking a pay cut.

This is what Caitlin recently stated in a Dan Patrick interview:

Q: Would you be taking a pay cut by heading to the WNBA?

“Not necessarily. I think that’s what gets lost sometimes. I think people don’t understand. NIL is still kind of a thing when you get into pro sports, too. You still have all those endorsements. You still have sponsorships and whatnot, so you’re basically just a professional athlete with that on top of it, too. So, it’s not really something that I would factor into my decision of staying or going too much.”

Caitlin, on how important the WNBA is to her:

“Very important. That’s where I want to be, but I have another year here and possibly one more after that just because of COVID, so probably will have to make a decision on that sometime next year. I really have no clue of what I’m going to do. Stay for an extra year or leave after next year, but I love watching the WNBA.

“I remember really vividly my dad taking me to my first ever WNBA game. Maya Moore was my favorite player growing up. She played for the Minnesota Lynx, so it was pretty convenient. That was only a four hour trip from where I grew up, and I really remember getting to watch her versus Sue Bird and the Seattle Storm. That was like my first ever experience with the WNBA when I was really young.”

Her current salary is... ZERO. Her endorsements will continue. Her signing salary is a measly 75k per year for being the #1 draft pick, compared to the mens at 10million...

Her current salary is... ZERO. Her endorsements will continue. Her signing salary is a measly 75k per year for being the #1 draft pick, compared to the mens at 10million...

Salaries for WNBA players won't increase until viewership increases, which then would lead to bigger TV contracts. Also, ticket sales need to grow.

Not sure how much money the WNBA is losing atm but if there were money to be made, there'd be more than 12 teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT