ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever win WNBA Draft Lottery & Chance to Draft Caitlin Clark (She won't be taking a Pay Cut)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

Sophie Cunningham, Mercury hope to win Caitlin Clark sweepstakes in WNBA Draft Lottery

Dec 7, 2023, 11:24 AM

caitlin-clark-iowa-wnba-draft-lottery-mercury-e1701969336245-900x506.jpg

Caitlin Clark #22 of the Iowa Hawkeyes drives by Nyamer Diew #5 of the Iowa State Cyclones in the first half at Hilton Coliseum on December 6, 2023 in Ames, Iowa. (Photo by David Purdy/Getty Images)

BY ARIZONA SPORTS

The Phoenix Mercury have been hit hard by change in the past two seasons, but the last several months have alluded to a hard reset. The WNBA Draft Lottery on Sunday could set up nicely for a team under new general manager Nick U’Ren and head coach Nate Tibbetts.

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark would be the no-doubt pick if she leaves school. The Mercury own the second-best odds to win the lottery.

“We have been on the struggle bus the past couple years and it has been awful,” Phoenix guard Sophie Cunningham told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Thursday. “We have a new GM, a new head coach and of course the new ownership with Mat Ishbia. There have been changes made over here. So we are feeling good.

“I am a believer so I’m going to leave it up to God’s hand. Whatever good luck or whatever vibes you have, send them our way, because we would love to get Caitlin Clark on this train.”

Phoenix with a 9-31 record in 2023 has a 28% chance at winning the top pick in the WNBA Draft Lottery, behind the Indiana Fever’s 44% odds. Clark has remained the prize through her fourth season at Iowa.

Caitlin Clark is moving up the record books at Iowa before the WNBA Draft Lottery

On Wednesday night against rival Iowa State, Clark scored 35 points and moved past 3,000 points in her career in a 67-58 victory.

Clark’s performance pushed her career point total to 3,013, making her the 15th NCAA Division I women’s player to surpass the 3,000 plateau. She is the first player in men’s or women’s Division 1 to reach at least 3,000 points, 750 rebounds and 750 assists.

She is averaging a career-high 29.6 points per game in 2023-24. The deadeye shooter is also dishing 7.6 assists per game.

Her competitiveness and aggressiveness have helped grow the college game, especially as she spearheaded the Hawkeyes’ run to the NCAA title game last season. That Iowa-LSU showdown set ESPN platform records across men’s and women’s games with 9.9 million viewers, according to the network.

Part of that coverage was the alternate broadcast on The Bird & Taurasi show, hosted by the retired Sue Bird and Mercury star Diana Taurasi.

Pairing the future Hall of Famer with Clark on the Mercury, Cunningham believes, would be a boon for the sport and the WNBA.

“I feel like if social media and the way that women’s sports is being covered now, I feel like there would’ve been a lot more players like Caitlin Clark,” Cunningham told Bickley & Marotta. “But she has been given this opportunity. She’s a great girl, she’s awesome, she’s an ultimate competitor. I do think she’s going to have that DT effect (like Taurasi did on the sport).

“It’s definitely a different game here in the W, and so it’s going to definitely be a transition period for her. Just the fans that she’s going to bring to the W, the recognition she’s going to bring to the W, I think it’s going to be a great thing for women’s sports. Why not us?”

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Sophie Cunningham, Mercury hope to win Caitlin Clark sweepstakes in WNBA Draft Lottery

Caitlin Clark #22 of the Iowa Hawkeyes drives by Nyamer Diew #5 of the Iowa State Cyclones in the first half at Hilton Coliseum on December 6, 2023 in Ames, Iowa. (Photo by David Purdy/Getty Images)

BY ARIZONA SPORTS

The Phoenix Mercury have been hit hard by change in the past two seasons, but the last several months have alluded to a hard reset. The WNBA Draft Lottery on Sunday could set up nicely for a team under new general manager Nick U’Ren and head coach Nate Tibbetts.

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark would be the no-doubt pick if she leaves school. The Mercury own the second-best odds to win the lottery.

“We have been on the struggle bus the past couple years and it has been awful,” Phoenix guard Sophie Cunningham told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Thursday. “We have a new GM, a new head coach and of course the new ownership with Mat Ishbia. There have been changes made over here. So we are feeling good.

“I am a believer so I’m going to leave it up to God’s hand. Whatever good luck or whatever vibes you have, send them our way, because we would love to get Caitlin Clark on this train.”

Phoenix with a 9-31 record in 2023 has a 28% chance at winning the top pick in the WNBA Draft Lottery, behind the Indiana Fever’s 44% odds. Clark has remained the prize through her fourth season at Iowa.

Caitlin Clark is moving up the record books at Iowa before the WNBA Draft Lottery

On Wednesday night against rival Iowa State, Clark scored 35 points and moved past 3,000 points in her career in a 67-58 victory.

Clark’s performance pushed her career point total to 3,013, making her the 15th NCAA Division I women’s player to surpass the 3,000 plateau. She is the first player in men’s or women’s Division 1 to reach at least 3,000 points, 750 rebounds and 750 assists.

She is averaging a career-high 29.6 points per game in 2023-24. The deadeye shooter is also dishing 7.6 assists per game.

Her competitiveness and aggressiveness have helped grow the college game, especially as she spearheaded the Hawkeyes’ run to the NCAA title game last season. That Iowa-LSU showdown set ESPN platform records across men’s and women’s games with 9.9 million viewers, according to the network.

Part of that coverage was the alternate broadcast on The Bird & Taurasi show, hosted by the retired Sue Bird and Mercury star Diana Taurasi.

Pairing the future Hall of Famer with Clark on the Mercury, Cunningham believes, would be a boon for the sport and the WNBA.

“I feel like if social media and the way that women’s sports is being covered now, I feel like there would’ve been a lot more players like Caitlin Clark,” Cunningham told Bickley & Marotta. “But she has been given this opportunity. She’s a great girl, she’s awesome, she’s an ultimate competitor. I do think she’s going to have that DT effect (like Taurasi did on the sport).

“It’s definitely a different game here in the W, and so it’s going to definitely be a transition period for her. Just the fans that she’s going to bring to the W, the recognition she’s going to bring to the W, I think it’s going to be a great thing for women’s sports. Why not us?”

I thought she was getting 1 M per year in NIL money. If so, why would she give that up? That is far more than she will make per year in the WNBA. Heck from what i understand, women actually make more playing in Europe.

I thought she was getting 1 M per year in NIL money. If so, why would she give that up? That is far more than she will make per year in the WNBA. Heck from what i understand, women actually make more playing in Europe.

From what you understand? As you will read below, Caitlin says people simply don't understand what she is making now vs what she would make in the WNBA. When she heads to the WNBA, she wouldn't be giving endorsements up and she wouldn't be taking a pay cut.

This is what Caitlin recently stated in a Dan Patrick interview:

Q: Would you be taking a pay cut by heading to the WNBA?

“Not necessarily. I think that’s what gets lost sometimes. I think people don’t understand. NIL is still kind of a thing when you get into pro sports, too. You still have all those endorsements. You still have sponsorships and whatnot, so you’re basically just a professional athlete with that on top of it, too. So, it’s not really something that I would factor into my decision of staying or going too much.”

Caitlin, on how important the WNBA is to her:

“Very important. That’s where I want to be, but I have another year here and possibly one more after that just because of COVID, so probably will have to make a decision on that sometime next year. I really have no clue of what I’m going to do. Stay for an extra year or leave after next year, but I love watching the WNBA.

“I remember really vividly my dad taking me to my first ever WNBA game. Maya Moore was my favorite player growing up. She played for the Minnesota Lynx, so it was pretty convenient. That was only a four hour trip from where I grew up, and I really remember getting to watch her versus Sue Bird and the Seattle Storm. That was like my first ever experience with the WNBA when I was really young.”

Caitlin is on helluva a player, but I worry about her relatively slight build compared to a lot of the WNBA players, many of whom would be more than happy to put her on the floor.

Story from the Indianapolis Star:

Indiana Fever GM on No. 1 pick, chance at Caitlin Clark: 'I know what an impact it can have on a franchise'

Clark could still return to Iowa for a fifth season if she chooses, as she has an extra year of eligibility because of the NCAA's COVID-19 waiver.

Chloe Peterson
Indianapolis Star
Dec 10, 2023

INDIANAPOLIS — At 4:52 p.m. Sunday, the air was palpable in Gainbridge Fieldhouse. Soon, the Indiana Fever would know if they would receive a potential franchise-altering pick.

The Fever, hosting a watch party with fans, were waiting to see if they would be the winner of the WNBA draft lottery for the second straight year. The Seattle Storm had already been announced as the fourth pick, and the Phoenix Mercury were third. It came down to the Fever and the Los Angeles Sparks.

When WNBA Director of League Operations Bethany Donaphin revealed L.A. as the No. 2 pick at 4:53 p.m. on ESPN, the fieldhouse lobby erupted. Fever GM Lin Dunn threw her arms up in the air. President and Chief Operating Officer Allison Barber jumped out of her seat. Behind them, a fan fell out of her chair in excitement.

“One of my lucky charms that I wore last year was worn out, and I could not wear her again,” Dunn said. “I was short one of my lucky charms, so I was a little nervous. But I had another substitute, a lucky charm under this sweatshirt, that I wore when we won the WNBA championship in 2012, and I thought well that'll be a good substitute.”

And that lucky charm was serviceable enough.

Indiana became a part of history with multiple consecutive No. 1 picks, which has happened just three times prior. Seattle had the top pick in 2001 and ‘02, when Dunn was the Storm's GM, as well as 2015 and ‘16. The Las Vegas franchise had three straight picks in 2017-19. After those picks, all of those franchises went on to win a championship in the next four years.

“Fortunately, I had that experience with two back-to-back first picks,” Dunn said. “It's been a long time, but I know what an impact it can have on a franchise. when we were able to select Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird, the rest is history. It led to, I think, four championships and MVPs and all that stuff, so it’s huge.”

In the 2024 draft, the Fever officially have the chance to take another franchise-changing player for the second year in a row. They’re in the Caitlin Clark sweepstakes.

“To be able to add a significant moment like tonight, it just makes me feel like that we can do what we said we were going to do,” Dunn said. “When I took this job over 20 months ago, ‘We're going to get the Fever back on track to being who we're supposed to be. We're a playoff team. We're a team that challenges for championships.’”

Clark, an Iowa senior and the reigning unanimous national player of the year, is the consensus pick to be drafted at No. 1 — should she choose to enter the draft.

The point guard averaged 27.8 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 8.6 assists per game last season, leading the Hawkeyes to their first national championship appearance. This season, she became the first player in NCAA history to have 3,000+ points, 750+ rebounds, and 750+ assists in a career, and she is projected to break Aces guard Kelsey Plum’s NCAA scoring record by the end of the season.

But Clark still could still return to Iowa for a fifth season if she chooses, as she has an extra year of eligibility because of COVID-19.

The Fever were in the same situation last season — Aliyah Boston was the consensus No. 1 pick, but she also could have returned to South Carolina for another year. Indiana coach Christie Sides went out to visit Boston in South Carolina multiple times leading up to the draft, but the Fever didn’t officially know what Boston was going to do until after the Final Four.

While Dunn and Sides both plan to visit Clark, they are not aiming to pressure her in any way to come out to the draft. They’ll be prepared for any situation, whether Clark decides to go pro or not.

“(The coaching staff) will definitely see them play in person,” Dunn said. “Our approach will be just like it's been in the past and just like it was with Aliyah Boston, saying ‘You have to do what you need to do, we want you to do what’s best for you.’ We're not going to beg anybody to come out, we're not going to coerce anybody to come out, that's just the way it is. We'll do our due diligence, and we'll probably be in three or four gyms.”

Clark could be a perfect fit for the Fever. Dunn is confident in the frontcourt, which features Boston and 2022 No. 2 pick NaLyssa Smith, but she is looking for guard play to complement seven-year veteran Kelsey Mitchell, who plays the 2 position.

Erica Wheeler, who is on a max contract with the Fever through the end of 2024, played point guard this season, and the 3-spot was a rotation of Kristy Wallace and Lexie Hull.

“Kelsey Mitchell, our 2-guard, is one of the best 2-guards in this league, and she probably hasn't gotten the recognition that she deserves because she's been on the losing team,” Dunn said. “So now, if you asked me the most pressing question, it would might be, well, who's going to be on either side of Kelsey, who's gonna be the 1, who’s gonna be the 3.”

Connor McCaffery and Caitlin are dating, of course.

Connor is on the Indiana Pacers staff. Imagine if Indiana gets the #1 pick in the 2024 WNBA Draft.

Indy won the #1 pick

BY ARIZONA SPORTS

The NIL she's receiving at Iowa might be more lucrative than the WNBA. Wouldn't be shocked if she uses her covid year and is back at Iowa next year.

Play in packed houses at Iowa and on the road or go to the WNBA and play in front of 1237 people...

The NIL she's receiving at Iowa might be more lucrative than the WNBA. Wouldn't be shocked if she uses her covid year and is back at Iowa next year.

Play in packed houses at Iowa and on the road or go to the WNBA and play in front of 1237 people...

See post #5 in this thread. She says she wouldn't be taking a pay cut. If anything, she'd be adding a WNBA salary to her current income. She also says the WNBA is where she wants to be.

Connor McCaffery, her boyfriend, is in Indianapolis, too (he's working for the Indiana Pacers).

See post #5 in this thread. She says she wouldn't be taking a pay cut. If anything, she'd be adding a WNBA salary to her current income. She also says the WNBA is where she wants to be.

Connor McCaffery, her boyfriend, is in Indianapolis, too (he's working for the Indiana Pacers).
Maybe so. I don’t think the WNBA footprint increases all that much with Clark. I think she has more of a national footprint in college. Women’s game in college draws more than in the WNBA.

We’ll see.,.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Caitlin is on helluva a player, but I worry about her relatively slight build compared to a lot of the WNBA players, many of whom would be more than happy to put her on the floor.
It's far from a totally fair comparison, but I recall people saying similar things about Curry coming into the NBA.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It's far from a totally fair comparison, but I recall people saying similar things about Curry coming into the NBA.
I'm not worried. She's already transformed her body from FR year to now. And she's proven she's resilient and can take a beating.. She's pretty much been assaulted almost every game the past two seasons and keeps going back in and making plays.

Maybe so. I don’t think the WNBA footprint increases all that much with Clark. I think she has more of a national footprint in college. Women’s game in college draws more than in the WNBA.

We’ll see.,.
I disagree, for several reasons. If you want to know more pls let me know.

Reactions: Franisdaman

It would be dumb as f**k if CC let her feelings for CM impact her decision. CM should follow CC whatever her decision is or where she ends up. I want CC to do whatever she wants w/o CM.

We’ll see.,.

do you think she stays at Iowa one more year? no right or wrong answer...she has a really good poker face

do you think she stays at Iowa one more year? no right or wrong answer...she has a really good poker face
I think moving on to the WNBA is probably pretty attractive. I'd say it's 50/50 and is dependent on a certain degree on how this season ends.

She's making bank at Iowa right now so I don't think it's just a $$$ case for her as it is for a our football players etc...not cut and dried in that regard IMO.

do you think the WNBA would be any more physical than the physicality she is seeing in college?

I see Tylerl_28 is on the prowl today....he can't have this thread at the top so he's been bumping the duplicate thread all afternoon.

Tyler leads a very sad existence, that is for sure.
Who the fac are you talking to? Then calling others strange 🤔. Quick question, will you be departing with Fran this year?

CC on the floor with 4 other high level players, she will absolutely thrive in the pros.
Yes. Plus a shorter shot clock means quicker pace and more possessions which is what she's made for. Finishing at the rim over more size and not being able to "hide" on defense will take some time to adjust to. Plus she's gonna have to pay her dues before she starts getting the friendly superstar whistle again.

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
I'm not worried. She's already transformed her body from FR year to now. And she's proven she's resilient and can take a beating.. She's pretty much been assaulted almost every game the past two seasons and keeps going back in and making plays.
Exactly. First off CC will do WHATEVER she needs to do to be ready for this jump. Personal trainer, whatever. She WILL be ready. 2nd, if last years sweet sixteen didn't convince people, I don't know what would. From a very physical Colorado team, Louisville, SC (the best defensive team, and super athletic and physical) to LSU, she played against the best of the best, and torched them all. 140 points in those 4 games averaged 35 per game and 9 assists. Those teams were full of peers who will be in the W as well, and she still upped her game. To top that off when she goes pro they won't be able to defend her with multiple players and junk defenses, because she'll have much better players around her who are better athletes then she plays with now. She may score a few less points, but I'll bet her assists go up quite a bot.

Totally agree. I don't think she's going to have much of a struggle adjusting to the next level.

Reactions: Bishop-71
I think moving on to the WNBA is probably pretty attractive. I'd say it's 50/50 and is dependent on a certain degree on how this season ends.

She's making bank at Iowa right now so I don't think it's just a $$$ case for her as it is for a our football players etc...not cut and dried in that regard IMO.

I think it's 50/50 too

If Caitlin came back to Iowa next season, is she going to have enough around her to get to another final four? I'm not sure if she will.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I think it's 50/50 too

If Caitlin came back to Iowa next season, is she going to have enough around her to get to another final four? I'm not sure if she will.
If next years class is as good as projected and no impact players transfer, I think if Caitlin came back Iowa has the firepower to win the NC next season. Even without Caitlin next season, Iowa can likely reach an Elite Eight/Final Four with the level of talent returning/incoming. I know there are some who predict Iowa will drop off without Clark but the prestige of the program has risen and was already attracting higher caliber players. I don't believe the drop off will be that severe. Although I do believe it will be more balanced. If Greenway commits in '26, she could also lead Iowa to an NC with the talent from the '24 and '25 classes.

If next years class is as good as projected and no impact players transfer, I think if Caitlin came back Iowa has the firepower to win the NC next season. Even without Caitlin next season, Iowa can likely reach an Elite Eight/Final Four with the level of talent returning/incoming. I know there are some who predict Iowa will drop off without Clark but the prestige of the program has risen and was already attracting higher caliber players. I don't believe the drop off will be that severe. Although I do believe it will be more balanced. If Greenway commits in '26, she could also lead Iowa to an NC with the talent from the '24 and '25 classes.

interesting. thanks.

It will be interesting to see if Caitlin goes through senior day recognition. I assume she will either way. Caitlin said she would not decide until after the season, which would be weeks (?) later.

i agree with you; she can go thru Senior Day and say she still hasn't decided and then make her decision public after Iowa is done in the NCAA Tournament

It will be interesting to see if Caitlin goes through senior day recognition. I assume she will either way. Caitlin said she would not decide until after the season, which would be weeks (?) later.

Just looked it up. Last year there was a 5 week (35 day) gap between Senior Day and Iowa's last game:

Feb 26, 2023 Senior Day, vs Indiana
April 2, 2023 National Championship Game, vs LSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT