ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation in U.S. Builds With Biggest Gain in Prices Since 1990

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

U.S. consumer prices rose last month at the fastest annual pace since 1990, cementing high inflation as a hallmark of the pandemic recovery and eroding spending power even as wages surge.

The consumer price index increased 6.2% from October 2020, according to Labor Department data released Wednesday. The CPI rose 0.9% from September, the largest gain in four months. Both advances exceeded all estimates in a Bloomberg survey of economists.

Higher prices for energy, shelter, food and vehicles fueled the supercharged reading and indicated inflation is broadening out beyond categories associated with reopening.

Price Pressures Run Hot​

U.S. October headline inflation increased by the most since 1990 on annual basis

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bloomberg survey

Stocks opened lower, while the yield on the 10-year Treasury rose and the dollar strengthened.

Read more: U.S. 5-Year TIPS Breakeven Rate Rises to Record High

Against a backdrop of solid demand, businesses have been steadily raising prices for consumer goods and services at the same time supply chain bottlenecks and a shortage of qualified workers drive up costs.

Fed Pressure​

The pickup suggests higher inflation will be longer-lasting than previously thought, putting pressure on Federal Reserve officials to end near-zero interest rates sooner than expected and potentially to quicken the pace of the bond-buying taper announced last week.

The data also threaten to exacerbate political challenges for President Joe Biden and Democrats as they seek to pass a nearly $2 trillion tax-and-spending package and defend razor-thin congressional majorities in next year’s midterm elections.

“Inflation hurts Americans pocketbooks, and reversing this trend is a top priority for me,” Biden said in a statement, noting that a key driver of the increase was energy prices and that his administration is working on ways to reduce those costs.

A report on Tuesday showed prices paid to U.S. producers also accelerated last month, largely due to higher goods costs, and adding to concerns about persistent price pressures across the globe.

In China, inflation at the factory level last month increased by the most in 26 years, while consumer prices in Brazil sped up by more than forecast.

Read more: China’s Inflation Risks Build as Producers Pass on Higher Costs

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, so-called core inflation rose 0.6% from the prior month and 4.2% from a year earlier. The annual increase was the largest since 1991.

Shelter costs -- which are considered to be a more structural component of the CPI and make up about a third of the overall index -- rose 0.5% in October, the most in four months as higher rents and home prices feed into the data. The cost of hotel stays increased.

relates to Inflation in U.S. Builds With Biggest Gain in Prices Since 1990

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bloomberg
Prices for new cars rose 1.4% last month as a global shortage of semiconductors continues to limit inventories and drive up costs. Used-vehicle prices jumped 2.5%.

Americans are also facing higher costs for basic necessities:

• Food up 5.3% from year ago, most since January 2009
  • Gasoline rose 6.1% from September, biggest gain since March
  • Electricity costs jumped 1.8%, largest monthly increase since 2014
  • Fuel oil advanced 12.3% from prior month, most since 2007
“Higher energy prices, intensification of supply-chain bottlenecks and higher rents all pushed up prices briskly in the consumer basket,” Bloomberg Economics’ Anna Wong and Andrew Husby said in a note. Looking ahead, “those factors and adverse base effects should keep the headline CPI from peaking until January.”

Through the Company Lens​

“We haven’t seen, I’ll say, any more resistance to our price increases than we’ve seen historically.” -- McDonald’s Corp. CFO Kevin Ozan, Oct. 27 earnings call
“Looking at Q4, we expect our selling price actions to continue to gain traction, as we work to mitigate the raw material and logistics inflationary pressures we have experienced throughout the year.” -- 3M Co. CFO Monish Patolawala, Oct. 26 earnings call
“We feel very comfortable that any inflation that is affecting our margin today, we have the ability to offset it.” -- Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. CFO John Hartung, Oct. 21 earnings call
“We have now announced pricing in nine out of ten categories, so very broad based.” -- Procter & Gamble Co. CFO Andre Schulten, Oct. 19 earnings call
While most CPI categories rose, the cost of airfares declined for a fourth month and apparel prices were unchanged.

Wages have strengthened markedly in recent months -- with some measures rising by the most on record -- but higher consumer prices are eroding Americans’ buying power.

Inflation-adjusted average hourly earnings fell 1.2% in October from a year earlier, separate data showed Wednesday.

Why would the Fed tow Biden's line given that nearly all of them are Trump appointee's and 0 of them are Biden Appointees.
You sure about that?
I know none are biden’s but based on most of his appointees that’s a good thing.

...as a hallmark of the pandemic recovery and eroding spending power even as wages surge.

It's nice to know that there's this huge wage surge going on. Sadly, I'm making less today then I was making 15 years ago. I haven't even received a cost of living increase since August 2020.

Apparently I need to hit the job want ads soon. Lol

Is everyone else seeing this huge wage increase? It's seriously painful going to the store nowadays with the prices skyrocketing and wages staying the same.

Reactions: Tom Paris
It's nice to know that there's this huge wage surge going on. Sadly, I'm making less today then I was making 15 years ago. I haven't even received a cost of living increase since August 2020.

Is everyone else seeing this huge wage increase? It's seriously painful going to the store nowadays with the prices skyrocketing and wages staying the same.

Yes, we just didn’t tell you. ;)

Well..to be fair...5 or 6 months ago the administration was putting most of their focus into trying to convince us that there was no inflation so...yeah.
Too busy crushing their vaccine goal, reaching a record stock market, wages rising the fastest in over two decades, and massive job gains. They’re actually competent, unlike the last monkeys tea party. Be patient. But thanks for yet another fuggin’ thread on the same topic.

Too busy crushing their vaccine goal, reaching a record stock market, wages rising the fastest in over two decades, and massive job gains. They’re actually competent, unlike the last monkeys tea party. Be patient. But thanks for yet another fuggin’ thread on the same topic.
Wage increases have been more than offset by inflation

Reactions: EasyHawk

You gave no credence to the record breaking stock exchange and all time low unemployment rates. I believe you said he has nothing to do with it. Now the President does have something to do with it?

That was still Trump’s economy, per your rules, remember? The first year belongs to the guy before? Never thought you’d give Trump credit like that. Good for you.

I can’t wait to tell my teams they’re getting a 4% raise—- which equates to 2% less money when you factor in inflation.

That was still Trump’s economy, per your rules, remember? The first year belongs to the guy before? Never thought you’d give Trump credit like that. Good for you.
If only there wasn’t that whole botched pandemic response thing to completely kill your argument, Mr. Independent “I Didn’t Vote Trump” Guy.

GF75FB2JLVEPRB5DAAHZUHF6VQ.png

If only there wasn’t that whole botched pandemic response thing to completely kill your argument, Mr. Independent “I Didn’t Vote Trump” Guy.

It’s your logic not mine. You’re the one who said the first year of every president belongs to the president before. I thought it was stupid but you swore by it. I guess it’s conveniently stupid now.

It’s your logic not mine. You’re the one who said the first year of every president belongs to the president before. I thought it was stupid but you swore by it. I guess it’s conveniently stupid now.
You leave out that I was 100% right about the coming downturn because of Trump, and how he rode Obama’s economic coattails before he screwed us. You don’t understand the idea of economic trend lines very well, but then again, you don’t understand much.

You leave out that I was 100% right about the coming downturn because of Trump, and how he rode Obama’s economic coattails before he screwed us. You don’t understand the idea of economic trend lines very well, but then again, you don’t understand much.

The Pandemic screwed us. Yes, he handled in poorly with his idiocy, but this pandemic was going to drop kick us regardless. At least be honest with yourself on this subject.

Remember, he was called xenophobic when he stopped travel from China (or at least drastically cut it back) in the very early part on the pandemic. He was called that by people on this board. And it wasn't in threads about the countries with Muslims.... That was two years before.

Last edited:
The Pandemic screwed us. Yes, he handled in poorly with his idiocy, but this pandemic was going to drop kick us regardless. At least be honest with yourself on this subject.

Remember, he was called xenophobic when he stopped travel from China (or at least drastically cut it back) in the very early part on the pandemic. He was called that by people on this board. And it wasn't in threads about the countries with Muslims.... That was two years before.

We were already in a recession before the pandemic hit, according to the very body that establishes these things...

We were already in a recession before the pandemic hit, according to the very body that establishes these things...

The first line of the article:

The U.S. economy may have entered a recession even before the federal government began to issue strict coronavirus-related lockdown and social distancing guidelines that forced many businesses throughout the country to close.

Then goes on to describe why they say that. If their indicators were so spot on, why wouldn't they just say The US Economy had already entered a recession instead of May Have?

CEOs see huge wage increases. Everyone else, not so much. Because trickle down is BS.

Reactions: mattymoknows

I can agree with this which is why there isn't much any president can do about inflation. I will admit ignorance to a lot of this topic. It's never made sense to me why businesses HAVE to raise their prices other than for greed.

I was listening to Stephanie Ruhle for a minute yesterday and it sounded like businesses weren't hurting at all and still raising prices, BUT Americans were still more than willing to spend and we very likely would, despite prices going up, set a Holiday spending record.

The other thing, don't we almost always have inflation of some sort? Prices rarely go down. Prices of goods keep rising year after year, decade after decade. It's noticeable in things we purchase regularly or when going out to eat or drink. Beer prices for example blow me away. I can't believe how much we pay for a pint. A pint today costs more than many would be willing to spend on a pitcher 20 years ago. Inflation is a constant which is why I'm not pinning it, just like the southern border, on the president.

Nice selective graph. How about you post labor participation rate next?

Coming from the guy with an old doddering fool as his avatar…..

I can agree with this which is why there isn't much any president can do about inflation. I will admit ignorance to a lot of this topic. It's never made sense to me why businesses HAVE to raise their prices other than for greed.
Tom, if wages, cost of goods and transportation go up, demand goes up....businesses will increase prices. It's what happens.

After your multiple threads about U.S. Olympic athletes, you commenting on anyone's "butthurt" is laughably rich.

The first line of the article:

The U.S. economy may have entered a recession even before the federal government began to issue strict coronavirus-related lockdown and social distancing guidelines that forced many businesses throughout the country to close.

Then goes on to describe why they say that. If their indicators were so spot on, why wouldn't they just say The US Economy had already entered a recession instead of May Have?
Because it's FOX News.

Then find another source suitable to you and post it.
You should have known that even FOX daring to report this meant it was true. Here you go. No two ways about it...

The United States officially fell into a recession in February, the National Bureau of Economic Relations has said the economy peaked just before the pandemic forced business and other services to lock down.

020/06/08/economy-recession-february/

Oh...so you admit. Biden is riding Trump's coattails, as was your original hypothesis with Obama and all other presidents. Which was "Every first year of a presidency, the economy belongs to the president before. After the first new year, the president can claim the economy as his own."

Oh...so you admit. Biden is riding Trump's coattails, as was your original hypothesis with Obama and all other presidents. Which was "Every first year of a presidency, the economy belongs to the president before. After the first new year, the president can claim the economy as his own."
Nobody on this board posts more BS that THEY don't even believe in than you do. You post stuff just to argue like a junior high girl. You've been on here for as long as I can remember and I truly don't know where you stand on issues or what you believe in...because of all the nonsense you post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT