ADVERTISEMENT

Biden's bad news on inflation

Well that's the thing about the current global economy,.. An average person has to be a shareholder in order to even have a chance of keeping up.

Globally, inflation has been driven by the pandemic, the war in Ukraine & energy prices,.. On top of that already bad situation, inflation in the US has been further fueled by the current administration's excessive spending habits,.. Joe Biden has never been a smart man,.. no reason to expect that he would ever be a smart president.
Right. Inflation was and is being driven driven globally by the pandemic, war in Ukraine, and energy prices, everywhere in the world except for the U.S.. In the U.S. it's Biden's fault.

Rs throwing a fit about inflation is just like Rs throwing a fit over the debt. None of them cared when Trump was in charge. Dude spent $3 trillion worth of stimulus plans but never a peep from our illustrious friends on the right.

Name brand potato or snack chips. Shrinkflation has totally gotten out of hand with those. That's one example I can think of, where I look at the size of the bag and cost and think, "Nope."
I'm a big Ruffles fan typically, but won't buy them now at their crazy prices. And Hy-Vee is constantly running specials where the price is decent, but you have to buy 4 bags. Screw that too.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Rs throwing a fit about inflation is just like Rs throwing a fit over the debt. None of them cared when Trump was in charge. Dude spent $3 trillion worth of stimulus plans but never a peep from our illustrious friends on the right.
R's never met a corporate handout or military program they didn't like and the D's never met a social program they didn't like. But make no mistake, none of them care one iota about the debt. It's all politics baby. Especially Republicans.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Right. Inflation was and is being driven driven globally by the pandemic, war in Ukraine, and energy prices, everywhere in the world except for the U.S.. In the U.S. it's Biden's fault.

No dumb ass,.. Here in the US we get pandemic, Ukraine, energy, plus dumb ass Biden's bad economic choices.

• Haha
Exactly! Biden is so freaking powerful that he spiked inflation all over the world!!

A few months after taking office. Pretty incredible.

Reminds me of Obama being blamed immediately for the nose diving economy he inherited from Bush and then getting zero credit when it rebounded bigly.

Are they the same folks who can’t grasp that many of these consumers are also shareholders by virtue of their 401K?

Is that something that you see come up regularly, or is it a strawman?

I've been having conversations about this general topic when it comes to recruiting and retention. Generally what we are hearing from staff is that our generous 401k match is very much appreciated, but not as much as cash in hand would be, and the stated reason is that the 401k doesn'tpay the rent or buy groceries.

I think it's important to remember that being able to worry about retirement savings is a luxury for most hourly workers, and isn't even necessarily a realistic investment for lower and lower-middle class earners in the first half of their working years.

Reminds me of Obama being blamed immediately for the nose diving economy he inherited from Bush and then getting zero credit when it rebounded bigly.

Actually it took Joe 18 months to establish his current monthly high,.. so yeah, this is his.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
Actually it took Joe 18 months to establish his current monthly high,.. so yeah, this is his.

Why has it been going down? Isn't Biden still in office? Did he undo his policies?

So apparently no damage was done to trigger the run away inflation before Biden took office. rah rah go team

Last week, President Biden got the jobs report he wanted. Today, he got the inflation numbers he didn't.
Why it matters: Inflation is rearing its ugly head again and it's a nightmare for Biden on several fronts.

• Stubbornly high prices undercut his argument that the economy is much better than many Americans are willing to admit — or at least tell pollsters.
  • It also means that Fed Chair Jerome Powell is likely to wait for more data before starting to lower interest rates. A June cut — which forecasters had been expecting — appears less likely.
  • For voters, that will translate into higher borrowing costs for longer — and closer to Election Day.
Driving the news: The Consumer Price Index rose 0.4% in March, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday, coming in hotter than expected.

• Perhaps more troubling for the White House: the core measure — which excludes food and energy prices — rose at an annualized pace of 4.5% in the last three months. That suggests the inflation isn't just high. It's also stubborn.
  • Financial markets staged their own little protest, with a selloff in the bond and equities market.
What they are saying: The CPI numbers forced Biden to acknowledge that the Fed isn't likely to cut rates at its next meeting.

• "This may delay it a month or so, I'm not sure of that. We don't know what the Fed is going to do for certain," Biden said, when he was asked about it during his press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida
  • He reaffirmed his prediction, made last month, that the Fed will cut rates before the end of the year.
  • "Look, we have dramatically reduced inflation from 9% down to close to 3%," he said. "We're better situated than where we were when we took office, where inflation was skyrocketing."
Reality check: The annual inflation rate was 1.4% when Biden took office in January of 2021, according to BLS.

The intrigue: Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, a persistent Biden critic on inflation, raised the possibility that the Fed might be forced to increase interest rates in June.

The bottom line: The CPI number wasn't good news for the White House, but it's just one monthly report.

• As readers of Axios Macro know, the Fed actually looks more closely as a separate inflation gauge — the Personal Consumption Expenditures price index, or PCE, which is out Thursday — when it makes its interest rate decisions.
So how many people do we need to "Crean" from the face of the Earth to fix this problem?...............

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Even this administration has finally found it difficult to continue spending money at such a frenetic pace,.. Probably the Republican house.

Yeah that must be it. Trump spending and the pandemic likely had nothing to do with it.

This is dumb, even for you.

You might want to go back and look at it, Trump fought the first round of stimulus.

Exactly! Biden is so freaking powerful that he spiked inflation all over the world!!
They just repeat the same bullshit over and over and over without using logic and common sense. Willful ignorance and a refusal to learn.

Yes yes but it rebounded too slowly, apparently, to MAGA.

Ya, when i first started grocery 55 years ago shopping, a 50lb sack of potatoes was $1.00, now 3lbs BAG are $4.00. LOL.

Last edited:

You might want to go back and look at it, Trump fought the first round of stimulus.
Trump didn't fight the CARES Act and he called the follow up relief bill (December 2020) a "disgrace" because it didn't provide for more direct payments (he wanted up to $2000/$4000)

Reactions: franklinman
Last week, President Biden got the jobs report he wanted. Today, he got the inflation numbers he didn't.
Why it matters: Inflation is rearing its ugly head again and it's a nightmare for Biden on several fronts.

• Stubbornly high prices undercut his argument that the economy is much better than many Americans are willing to admit — or at least tell pollsters.
  • It also means that Fed Chair Jerome Powell is likely to wait for more data before starting to lower interest rates. A June cut — which forecasters had been expecting — appears less likely.
  • For voters, that will translate into higher borrowing costs for longer — and closer to Election Day.
Driving the news: The Consumer Price Index rose 0.4% in March, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday, coming in hotter than expected.

• Perhaps more troubling for the White House: the core measure — which excludes food and energy prices — rose at an annualized pace of 4.5% in the last three months. That suggests the inflation isn't just high. It's also stubborn.
  • Financial markets staged their own little protest, with a selloff in the bond and equities market.
What they are saying: The CPI numbers forced Biden to acknowledge that the Fed isn't likely to cut rates at its next meeting.

• "This may delay it a month or so, I'm not sure of that. We don't know what the Fed is going to do for certain," Biden said, when he was asked about it during his press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida
  • He reaffirmed his prediction, made last month, that the Fed will cut rates before the end of the year.
  • "Look, we have dramatically reduced inflation from 9% down to close to 3%," he said. "We're better situated than where we were when we took office, where inflation was skyrocketing."
Reality check: The annual inflation rate was 1.4% when Biden took office in January of 2021, according to BLS.

The intrigue: Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, a persistent Biden critic on inflation, raised the possibility that the Fed might be forced to increase interest rates in June.

The bottom line: The CPI number wasn't good news for the White House, but it's just one monthly report.

• As readers of Axios Macro know, the Fed actually looks more closely as a separate inflation gauge — the Personal Consumption Expenditures price index, or PCE, which is out Thursday — when it makes its interest te decisions.
I'm surprised there is still above normal inflation. Retail businesses are struggling right now in most parts of the country. People just aren't buying things for whatever reason. Perhaps, perceived cost? I've seen prices stabilize in the past year after they inflated the previous year. There is a limit to what people are willing to pay. Our stores are somewhat upscale but we've put an emphasis on buying products at a price point that is more approachable for those that might be trying to stretch their money a bit further. All this being said and going back to my original point, it's surprising that prices are going up. I'm seeing a lot of discounted products from our vendors.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Where the F are you looking?

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 0.3 percent in January on aseasonally adjusted basis, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the last 12 months,the all items index increased 1.4 percent before seasonal adjustment.

Year
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
Ave
1.4​
1.7​
2.6​
4.2​
5.0​
5.4​
5.4​
5.3​
5.4​
6.2​
6.8​
7.0​
4.7​

So inflation went from 1.4% to 5% in Biden's first four months in office through no fault of his. I don't think any rational mind would blame the immediate inflation on Biden during the beginning of his term.

You can’t claim Biden was opposed to any of the stimulus spending, they wanted more.

From a policy perspective, he’s been in favor of the wrong ideas even when he wasn’t yet in power.
so Biden is to blame for inflation because he was in favor of the policy someone else (his opponent in this election) implemented during which time Biden had no active role in govt?

trump, the guy who implemented that policy, is not to blame?

The first pandemic relief package under Trump was advisable,. The second package, also under Trump was likely a bad idea,.. Number three, under Biden was definitely a bad idea,.. Too much of a good thing can become a bad thing.

Reactions: ihhawk
The first pandemic relief package under Trump was advisable,. The second package, also under Trump was likely a bad idea,.. Number three, under Biden was definitely a bad idea,.. Too much of a good thing can become a bad thing.
there were 6 pandemic relief bills - 5 signed by trump, 1 signed by biden

in total, about $5.4T of funding was in those bills. $3.5T signed by trump, $1.9T signed by biden

but yes...inflation is all biden's fault becuase of the covid relief bills

Reactions: ericram
So inflation went from 1.4% to 5% in Biden's first four months in office through no fault of his. I don't think any rational mind would blame the immediate inflation on Biden during the beginning of his term.
That's reasonable.

I do think the ARP was way too big and not targeted enough...as all the COVID stimulus was. I think the first ARP checks went out in April fwiw.

Reactions: SI_NYC

Virtually every Republican voted for the Trump stimulus packages. The Cares Act had at least a 90% approval rate by the Rs. You only make yourself out to be an idiot when you try to revise history like this.

Virtually every Republican voted for the Trump stimulus packages. The Cares Act had at least a 90% approval rate by the Rs. You only make yourself out to be an idiot when you try to revise history like this.
You seem to forget how much you bitched about him not wanting to sign the first one, he didn't want to.

The only person revising anything is you.

You seem to forget how much you bitched about him not wanting to sign the first one, he didn't want to.

The only person revising anything is you.

that article is about his objections to the third covid stimulus bill, not the first one

and one of his objections were that payments to people were too small...so in the context of "inflation is caused by all the covid cash handouts", trump was pushing to exacerbate that issue

Because the individual checks were not large enough for Trump.
False.

He thought covid was a joke and would be gone, which you all blasted him for, and then didn't want to send the foreign aid at one point.

Specific to the first one, he did not want to send it.

that article is about his objections to the third covid stimulus bill, not the first one

and one of his objections were that payments to people were too small...so in the context of "inflation is caused by all the covid cash handouts", trump was pushing to exacerbate that issue
Read it again, he fought the first one, and then wanted more for the 3rd. Frankly I think he thought he could buy some votes by then.

He fought the first one. It was well discussed here.

Reactions: anon_911569jwrmy3z
Football tickets. Trip for the eclipse. Concert tickets. Tires for my camper. Wheel flares that I promised the no pics.

Buying stuff sucks right now. It's hard just to pay the bills. Mock me all you want but if you think I'm the only one having trouble you are sadly mistaken. I make more than I ever have by a long shot and this is the hardest it's been for our family in 15 years or more just to make ends meet.
Ya shit's tight right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT