ADVERTISEMENT

Investors: (Stock Market, 401 Ks, Real Estate, etc.) How many of you are worse off now than four years ago?

My real estate holdings and my investment accounts (retirement plans and non-retirement accounts) are up substantially over the time that Biden has been in office. Granted, some of that has been offset by inflation, but they are up far more than the rate of inflation during that time.

To be fair, they also increased substantially while trump was in office.

A month or so ago, a couple of long-time friends (one very liberal, the other very conservative) were arguing on facebook. The conservative stated that between he and his wife, they'd lost "millions" in their retirement accounts. I stopped short of calling him an outright liar (though I'm sure he was, because with what he and his wife did for a living it's highly unlikely that they had much more than a million apiece in their 401ks) - but I did ask him WTF he was invested in that he lost millions of dollars in a time when the stock market overall was up significantly, and why he kept riding to the bottom whatever the hell it was he'd invested in. Not surprisingly, he never responded to me.

Any adult that desires purchasing a home but hasn’t done so yet is worse off. Homes are off the charts expensive and unattainable for the majority.

My real estate holdings and my investment accounts (retirement plans and non-retirement accounts) are up substantially over the time that Biden has been in office. Granted, some of that has been offset by inflation, but they are up far more than the rate of inflation during that time.

A month or so ago, a couple of long-time friends (one very liberal, the other very conservative) were arguing on facebook. The conservative stated that between he and his wife, they'd lost "millions" in their retirement accounts. I stopped short of calling him an outright liar (though I'm sure he was, because with what he and his wife did for a living it's highly unlikely that they had much more than a million apiece in their 401ks) - but I did ask him WTF he was invested in that he lost millions of dollars in a time when the stock market overall was up significantly, and why he kept riding to the bottom whatever the hell it was he'd invested in. Not surprisingly, he never responded to me.
Invested in Truth Social?

Any adult that desires purchasing a home but hasn’t done so yet is worse off. Homes are off the charts expensive and unattainable for the majority.
To say, "any" adult is an exaggeration in my opinion. I believe it's especially hard for young adults and first-time buyers to break into the market. I'll give you that.

But responsible adults who have properly saved are buying houses right and left. Two of my siblings are realtors (one in the Midwest, one in Cali), and they've been closing deals all summer long.

I believe Harris has a policy plan in the form of a credit for first-time buyers. Does anyone know if trump has a similar plan?

Reactions: torbee
I was doing fantastic both in my stock mutual funds and home value I purchased in January 2021. Killing it the last 4 years with property price and portfolio. Unfortunately, I sold my house and cashed in my portfolio mid March and put it all into DJT and now have way less than I did 4 years ago. Thanks Kamala.

Last edited:
I was doing fantastic both in my stock mutual funds and home value I purchased in January 2021. Killing it the last 4 years with property price and portfolio. Unfortunately, I sold my house and cashed in my portfolio mid March and put it all into DJT and am now have way less than I did 4 years ago. Thanks Kamala.
Get Him Out GIF

So I guess that leaves out the maga cult losers. Unless you're counting empty Keystone Light cans and a 31 year old trailer as an investment

Leaves out most non-invested people who live paycheck to paycheck on a fixed income,.. Inflation has devastated this group.

Reactions: EagleHawk

If he was deep in the cult maybe your conservative friend liquidated his normal investments to put it all in Truth Social and Trump NFTs.

Reactions: noleclone2
Almost everyone I know is better off now than 4 years ago, it would be difficult not to be better off considering the expansion of the economy under Biden.

I’m more convinced than ever that those who aren’t doing better now is because it’s most likely a “you problem”.

Almost everyone I know is better off now than 4 years ago, it would be difficult not to be better off considering the expansion of the economy under Biden.

I’m more convinced than ever that those who aren’t doing better now is because it’s most likely a “you problem”.

So the wealth inequality issue is a "you problem"?,... I guess in many cases I would sort of agree with that.

Reactions: sabula
Leaves out most non-invested people who live paycheck to paycheck on a fixed income,.. Inflation has devastated this group.
They should have improved their lives thru education and advanced training, gotten a decent job, worked hard, saved, and invested. You know, the 'Merican dream. Accountability is a bummer for those paycheck to paycheck folks who didn't.

Reactions: torbee
They should have improved their lives thru education and advanced training, gotten a decent job, worked hard, saved, and invested. You know, the 'Merican dream. Accountability is a bummer for those paycheck to paycheck folks who didn't.
Good u so smrt

Not sure my investments were down in totality during any presidency.

Seems rather pointless to look at it in that context.

So the wealth inequality issue is a "you problem"?,... I guess in many cases I would sort of agree with that.
Wealth inequality is a major issue in this country and has been for a very long time but that’s largely out of most people’s control and is long overdue to be addressed by governmental policy IMO.

Each individual’s earning potential however can be enhanced through education, training and through investing and taking a risk in yourself. That’s the “you” part of the equation I was referencing that we all have some measure of control over.

I
There have only been three times in the last ~100 years where the stock market dropped over the course of a presidency...Hoover (a lot, close to 30%), Nixon (minimal, 1 or 2%), and Dubya (2 or 3%)

Source https://darrowwealthmanagement.com/blog/stock-market-performance-by-president-in-charts/

Stock-Returns-Over-President-Terms.png
These are actually average annual returns. W was down 33%. Trump and Biden are neck and neck at the same point. Hopefully the trend follows like it did in the last two President's first four years.

The responses on here sound like Facebook posts, about how awesome their lives are and how great their kids are just before picking them up at the Juvie Hall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT