ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa -11 Against Illinois

Very true. However, they went from bad (like Rutgers bad) to being decent this year.

With Iowa not running up the score on anyone (except Rutgers), I fully expect the game to be within 2 TD's.

QUOTE="Gridiron24, post: 7092837, member: 26670"]We did beat them 63-0 last year...[/QUOTE]

Reactions: chuck285
Very true. However, they went from bad (like Rutgers bad) to being decent this year.

With Iowa not running up the score on anyone (except Rutgers), I fully expect the game to be within 2 TD's.

QUOTE="Gridiron24, post: 7092837, member: 26670"]We did beat them 63-0 last year...
[/QUOTE]
Well, that would up to 14 points and cover.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Good game for us before Nebraska. Both Illinois and Nebraska have QB's that can beat you with their feet. Wisconsin put a lb spy on Martinez and was very effective. We will need something similar. This is the reason these two games have always worried me.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
i said before the minny game that this is the exact type of team under KF which can beat minny then turn around and lose to Illinois, historically. it's just that type of feel to it this year. kind of like that year a couple of years ago when iowa lost to PU

Reactions: Fan In Black
Which version of Stanley?

The version of Stanley you get when the offensive line gives him time to throw the ball...the version you get when running backs break open big runs...the version you get when blitzing backers are blocked out of the play... the version you get when BF opens the play book should I go on?

We did beat them 63-0 last year...
They didn't have Lovie calling the defense prior to this year. Six defensive touchdowns this year heading into this past Saturday... Six! Do we have 6 turnovers this season? Fluke? Maybe. But, he had the same type of effects in his very first years in STL and Chicago in the NFL. With our offensive struggles, you had better be concerned. Not afraid. We can win. But, using last year as a barometer would be a mistake.

They didn't have Lovie calling the defense prior to this year. Six defensive touchdowns this year heading into this past Saturday... Six! Do we have 6 turnovers this season? Fluke? Maybe. But, he had the same type of effects in his very first years in STL and Chicago in the NFL. With our offensive struggles, you had better be concerned. Not afraid. We can win. But, using last year as a barometer would be a mistake.
we have more than 6 INTS, so yes.....

I agree about last year. Then again using their wiscy game(like many here seem to) is also a mistake :)

i said before the minny game that this is the exact type of team under KF which can beat minny then turn around and lose to Illinois, historically. it's just that type of feel to it this year. kind of like that year a couple of years ago when iowa lost to PU
can or will?

you calling your shot or not? :D

Good game for us before Nebraska. Both Illinois and Nebraska have QB's that can beat you with their feet. Wisconsin put a lb spy on Martinez and was very effective. We will need something similar. This is the reason these two games have always worried me.
Granted the Huskers only scored 21 points yesterday primarily due to their own ineptitude and Frosty's normal questionable play calling in enemy territory. They amassed 493 yards of total offense, had Mills run for 188 yards on 17 carries (11 yard average) and in the second half averaged 10.3 yards per play while scoring 7 points. I don't think there was much about the Badgers' defense that was very effective. Martinez went brain dead on one pass play and took a 20 yard loss, otherwise he averaged 7.3 ypc on his other 15 carries. Wisky apparently needed a different spy.

Reactions: cbhawkeye

I agree about last year. Then again using their wiscy game(like many here seem to) is also a mistake :)

can or will?

We have 8 picks and 5 fumble recoveries in 10 games. We have a very sound defense. We have zero defensive touchdowns on the season. I'm making no call about the game or the Wisconsin game as impact. I'm just saying, as I said this summer when I learned Lovie had not been (I was shocked) calling defenses and that he now would be, that Illinois would be a bowl-caliber team. I'm just trying to help people invest their money wisely. Additionally, Illinois has a number of transfers from USC, etc. This game may be another blowout, but there is almost no similarity in the opponent a year later. I thought Minnesota was way overhyped, and I think Illinois is underhyped. I will be thrilled if we just win.

Reactions: Hawk-I_Guy

can or will?

ha ha , with this team, and after yesterday, I can't call anything. it's wide open and up in the air.

probably the most baffling thing was the ISU win. I was listening on the tune in radio on my phone. besides all the darn delays due to weather... it sure sounded like ISU was totally destroying iowa. like it could have been Wisconsin beating iowa I was actually listening to...or something. then that screwed up muffed punt. and mix in all the delays. man, what a messed up thing that game was. cannot at all predict iowa v. Illinois

I think we can take care of business but I have no confidence going into this game especially if illinois comes out healthy

ha ha , with this team, and after yesterday, I can't call anything. it's wide open and up in the air.
So like most years the past 2 decades then? :D
We have 8 picks and 5 fumble recoveries in 10 games. We have a very sound defense. We have zero defensive touchdowns on the season. I'm making no call about the game or the Wisconsin game as impact. I'm just saying, as I said this summer when I learned Lovie had not been (I was shocked) calling defenses and that he now would be, that Illinois would be a bowl-caliber team. I'm just trying to help people invest their money wisely. Additionally, Illinois has a number of transfers from USC, etc. This game may be another blowout, but there is almost no similarity in the opponent a year later. I thought Minnesota was way overhyped, and I think Illinois is underhyped. I will be thrilled if we just win.
tell them betting on sports isn't the most sound investment....well unless you're taking the under on an Iowa game!
we aren't gonna win by 60 again, but I expect to win by more than 11.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Granted the Huskers only scored 21 points yesterday primarily due to their own ineptitude and Frosty's normal questionable play calling in enemy territory. They amassed 493 yards of total offense, had Mills run for 188 yards on 17 carries (11 yard average) and in the second half averaged 10.3 yards per play while scoring 7 points. I don't think there was much about the Badgers' defense that was very effective. Martinez went brain dead on one pass play and took a 20 yard loss, otherwise he averaged 7.3 ypc on his other 15 carries. Wisky apparently needed a different spy.
Apparently you didn't watch the game then, or didn't understand what you were watching. Yes, Martinez did make several big runs, but, he got stuffed on many more and on big, critical downs in the game. Statistics don't always tell the whole story.

Apparently you didn't watch the game then, or didn't understand what you were watching. Yes, Martinez did make several big runs, but, he got stuffed on many more and on big, critical downs in the game. Statistics don't always tell the whole story.
Yep, watched 90% of the game but have to wonder what you were watching. Granted Martinez was the Badgers' main priority in the zone read option but he still had 309 yards of total offense Saturday. Meanwhile, Iowa as a team gained 295 yards last Saturday versus Wisky. Iowa had 87 yards rushing (3.8 ypc) against UW while Nebby had 273 (7.4 ypc). Dedrick Mills came into their game Saturday with 398 yards rushing on the year at 4.4 ypc and ran for 188 yards on 17 carries (11.1 ypc) and on many carries wasn't getting touched until he was 10 yards downfield. The main reason the Badgers were victorious on Saturday is because Frosty is the coach in Lincoln.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I am not really trying to be a jerk about this, but have to ask how you measure effectiveness. Before Saturday, Martinez was 110-185 for 1492 yards throwing the ball for an 8.1 yard average per attempt. Saturday he was 13-23 for 220 yards for a 9.5 yard average per attempt. Before Saturday he had rushed 97 times for 399 yards for 4.1 ypc. Saturday he ran 16 times for 89 yards which is 5.6 ypc. So for each play against Wisconsin he averaged 1 1/2 yards more than his body of work on the season. It sure doesn't seem like that spy situation was very successful to me!

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
The version of Stanley you get when the offensive line gives him time to throw the ball...the version you get when running backs break open big runs...the version you get when blitzing backers are blocked out of the play... the version you get when BF opens the play book should I go on?
What round does your Stanley go in the NFL

After knocking off MN and pulling out all the stops offensively we are staring at a rested IL team whose had an extra week to heal and revisit our 63-0 beatdown of them last year.

I expect them to come out well prepared, motivated, and ready to take advantage if we are flat. They are much better then a year ago. 11 points is too many. Because we’re at home 6 seems about right, but I won’t be shocked if we drop this one.

Weird for senior day that we might be looking at the smallest attendance in a Big Ten game in probably close to 35 years. Just guessing from the ticket map that there is at least 10K (probably more than that) tickets available.

Reactions: RothMatt
Gambling is not a wise investment.

It was? Might want to go watch the tape.

Reactions: David1979

Illinois wasn’t good last year by any imagination, but they certainly weren’t ‘Rutgers bad’ either. They were 4-8(2-7) last season and have improved significantly this year. Iowa just happened to play it’s most complete game against them. Hopefully we can see the same this year.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I am very confident in the Hawks right now. Historically, we play our best toward the end of the regular season. The game on saturday will not be a similar score to last year but I think we will win by at least 10. Go Hawks!

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT