ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa band relegated to pregame only at Citrus Bowl

I am sort of indifferent on this.
That’s kinda where I stand.

On one side, if the football team didn’t make a bowl game the band wouldn’t be playing anywhere. I’m pretty sure no mini football games break out during intermission of band contests.

But on the other side, football halftime and marching bands go hand in hand.

Either way I don’t think I would complain about a free trip to Florida just to play an instrument for a few minutes.

Yes, these guys made great life choices. You got me.

You keep forgetting to tell us about all the things that make you so cool. Don't leave us hanging.

In general, people who make generalizations about groups of people they don't really know are projecting to make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings. Why do you think you have those kinds of deep-seated issues?

That’s kinda where I stand.

On one side, if the football team didn’t make a bowl game the band wouldn’t be playing anywhere. I’m pretty sure no mini football games break out during intermission of band contests.

But on the other side, football halftime and marching bands go hand in hand.

Either way I don’t think I would complain about a free trip to Florida just to play an instrument for a few minutes.
This is a reasonable response, and my guess is that it reflects the attitudes of the band members overall. Those kids would love to play a halftime show once more for the fans, and are disappointed that they won't, but realize that just their being there is a privilege and are not going to complain.

I just find it fascinating how people can have such a negative attitude toward a huge group of people they don’t even know, especially when they work hard to entertain and (in this case) bleed black and gold. Usually a lot of projecting/compensating involved. I’m excited to hear about @GOHOX69 and his super cool college days and continued awesome life that puts him in position to refer to them as “losers.”
I'm not one to bemaon people for doing what they love, but personally marching band is an irrelevant part of the game. No one seems to pay attention before the game, and many many people leave during halftime. Same effect could be had by playing music over the PA.

I'm not one to bemaon people for doing what they love, but personally marching band is an irrelevant part of the game. No one seems to pay attention before the game, and many many people leave during halftime. Same effect could be had by playing music over the PA.
Again, it is your opinion, and one not shared by a vast majority of college football fans, despite your observations. And saying the same effect could be had with PA music is just plain silly.

Is this really worthy of a thread on the football forum? People are upset over this? Shoot I’m more concerned about idk how the football team will do.
They will rely on the defense once again to try and win.
Hill and the rest of the offense will be terrible.
Barring injury, hill will take every snap, for some reason that only Kirk knows.
There ya go, I’ve summed up how the football team will do for ya.

Don't really care about the bitching, but one band song I am digging is the Star Wars episode 1 song that the Oregon band plays, that shit is awesome.

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will it cost to bring the band to play for a few minutes before people are in seats?

Leave them home. Bands add very little other than entertaining at halftime to 1/2 the stadium.
I'd rather have one game where they do bring in an outside entertainer to do an extended half time show.

Let’s put it this way - if the band suddenly weren’t at the games, thousands and thousands of people would be disappointed. If YOU suddenly weren’t at the games, no one would care.
Thousands and thousands....from the only person dying on the "band is cool" hill in this thread. You're more hyperbolic than Fran.

I don't have a kid in the band or anything but they've gotten a lot more entertaining over the years and they really do add to the college football atmoshphere. Kids spend a lot of time practicing to perform and I think that they should be given a real chance to perform.
Totally agree. It is part of the game and atmosphere. I think they should be there and perform at halftime.

Thousands and thousands....from the only person dying on the "band is cool" hill in this thread. You're more hyperbolic than Fran.
Everything I’ve posted here is true, whether you want to recognize it or not. I just find it so strange that there are Hawkeye fans who choose to have contempt for such a great game-day tradition, composed of the program’s greatest fans.

• Haha
Reactions: TailgateTom
To make way for a country music performance, the Iowa band will play pre-game only at the Citrus Bowl. Tennessee band still plays at halftime, but with a shortened performance.

Lots of folks in the band community, who were excited about making this trip and playing at this venue are not happy about it. And with good reason, IMHO.

meh.

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will it cost to bring the band to play for a few minutes before people are in seats?

Leave them home. Bands add very little other than entertaining at halftime to 1/2 the stadium.
who's going to blow their lips out into a trumpet before every play?

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
To make way for a country music performance, the Iowa band will play pre-game only at the Citrus Bowl. Tennessee band still plays at halftime, but with a shortened performance.

Lots of folks in the band community, who were excited about making this trip and playing at this venue are not happy about it. And with good reason, IMHO.

The horror

• Haha
Reactions: Max_Rebo
Not your money, and your opinion is in the minority

Again, it is your opinion, and one not shared by a vast majority of college football fans, despite your observations. And saying the same effect could be had with PA music is just plain silly.
This is twice you’ve made this assertion. Do you have anything at all to back it up?

Or are you just one of those people who always assumes their opinion is the majority opinion?

They got to go to the B1G Championship this year again... I would keep them at home and save the money. The Pep band will hopefully be following the WBB team for another deep run this winter. Maybe let the band go to Ohio State or UCLA next year as a compromise.

This is twice you’ve made this assertion. Do you have anything at all to back it up?

Or are you just one of those people who always assumes their opinion is the majority opinion?
College bands have existed for 100 years. That wouldn’t be the case if nobody wanted them.

They got to go to the B1G Championship this year again... I would keep them at home and save the money. The Pep band will hopefully be following the WBB team for another deep run this winter. Maybe let the band go to Ohio State or UCLA next year as a compromise.
I’m amazed with people so altruistic that they want people to save money that’s not theirs.

I’m amazed with people so altruistic that they want people to save money that’s not theirs.
I'm not saying they don't deserve it - but what's the point for just the pregame? They shouldn't go in protest.

I get it. They want to go on a trip to where it's warm and prove they can out drink the other band. I have several former band friends, I've heard the stories. Give them a spring break voucher or something instead.

Also, the Tennessee Band probably has about 100 more members. During the game they will just drown out whatever the Iowa band does with non-stop Rocky Top anyway.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it - but what's the point for just the pregame? They shouldn't go in protest.
When was the last time you gave up a pretty darn nice free vacation in protest of something so petty?

I get it. They want to go on a trip to where it's warm and prove they can out drink the other band.
Finally! We found somebody who knows what it's all about. :)

Reactions: BettDogs7
I'd love to hear more about this. What do you use to measure "necessity" of a college marching band, and when exactly did it become "really not worth it?" And why would someone who has no financial investment in such a thing care? Thankfully you're not involved in any of these decisions; those who are are making better choices.
You explain their necessity to me. It's a football game. Band does not equal football, hence not a necessity for the game to happen.
As to financial investment: does the band make money or spend it? they always going to lose money. Who pays for some of the university of iowa... taxpayers.
I don't care about the band, could care less if they are there. My issue is simply why do we give a F when they participate if they are there.

vast majority? how are the bands in the nfl
i only take issue with the line of thinking that our band has to be at the half.

Let’s put it this way - if the band suddenly weren’t at the games, thousands and thousands of people would be disappointed. If YOU suddenly weren’t at the games, no one would care.
God damn man were you the drum major or something? I’ve never see someone get so upset about people making fun of band kids(also a tradition as old as time).

They will rely on the defense once again to try and win.
Hill and the rest of the offense will be terrible.
Barring injury, hill will take every snap, for some reason that only Kirk knows.
There ya go, I’ve summed up how the football team will do for ya.
How many times does he have to say it? Deacon Hill gives Iowa its best chance of winning.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT